Author Topic: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards  (Read 160352 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 20:34:37 »
"Alright, Mr. Demille. I'm ready for my close-up."

Show Image

large font on the keycap makes me feel uncomfortable  :confused:

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 20:40:43 »
i think this board needs a 2 piece case like the one i'm working on :D

That would be pretty cool... and very easy for me to adapt the case design to be similar to yours... i.e. make a two-piece wooden case compatible with the PCB/plate.
If you want to do another one-off "JD45" project for "charity", let me know ;D
(I have the mad skillz but no CNC :()

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 21:27:27 »
i think this board needs a 2 piece case like the one i'm working on :D

That would be pretty cool... and very easy for me to adapt the case design to be similar to yours... i.e. make a two-piece wooden case compatible with the PCB/plate.
If you want to do another one-off "JD45" project for "charity", let me know ;D
(I have the mad skillz but no CNC :()
I'm game.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:13:04 »

...it's very similar to a Tex 60% aluminium case.

Speaking of TEX...

Everyone should know by now that this final, production PCB was designed by Wilba to my specifications. The case, also, was designed by Wilba along with the PCB, as the two go hand-in-hand. Wilba has been my (mostly silent) partner in making the JD45 what it is today, and for that I owe him huge thanks.

I also want to acknowledge and thank both samwisekoi and Joey Quinn for their contributions to this project, in the form of previous PCB iterations, both through-hole and SMT based.

What I haven't formally announced yet is my manufacturing partner for this project. The production JD45 is being manufactured by none other than TEX in Taiwan! I am extremely proud to be partnered with TEX to bring this project to the community. Many thanks to Justin and everyone at TEX for helping make this dream project of mine a reality.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:16:33 »

Speaking of TEX...

Everyone should know by now that this final, production PCB was designed by Wilba to my specifications. The case, also, was designed by Wilba along with the PCB, as the two go hand-in-hand. Wilba has been my (mostly silent) partner in making the JD45 what it is today, and for that I owe him huge thanks.

I also want to acknowledge and thank both samwisekoi and Joey Quinn for their contributions to this project, in the form of previous PCB iterations, both through-hole and SMT based.

What I haven't formally announced yet is my manufacturing partner for this project. The production JD45 is being manufactured by none other than TEX in Taiwan! I am extremely proud to be partnered with TEX to bring this project to the community. Many thanks to Justin and everyone at TEX for helping make this dream project of mine a reality.

Can't wait to get one!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:18:09 »
Really cool stuff
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline dougp

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:59:17 »
I'd actually want a plate / case - mostly because you said there wouldn't be fully customization, so I'd hand wire.  Guess it really depends on what you'll do for the PCB firmware, I still might pick up a kit.  Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "fully customization", but the PCB supports multiple key layouts, and uses an ATMega32U4 with TMK or EasyAVR firmware, so you can do whatever you want on the firmware side. The PCB also supports switch LEDs (all LEDs in parallel, not individually controlled).

Also note there is not enough clearance in the case for a Teensy - there's only 3mm clearance under the PCB - it's very similar to a Tex 60% aluminium case.

I'm an idiot and didn't read it right. I'm down with TMK.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 03:00:30 »
Wilba has been my (mostly silent) partner in making the JD45 what it is today, and for that I owe him huge thanks.

Offline joey

« Reply #408 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 03:38:29 »
Wilba has been my (mostly silent) partner in making the JD45 what it is today, and for that I owe him huge thanks.

(Attachment Link)
:))

Offline chromatically

« Reply #409 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 10:47:33 »

Speaking of TEX...

i need this in my life. amazing work everyone!

Offline osi

« Reply #410 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:11:38 »
This is exciting. Hopefully I will be able to join in!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:22:28 »
Can't wait for this!!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:35:34 »
Okay, so...pricing. I know everyone is curious what the price will be for the JD45 keyboard. I think I finally have it nailed down.

There are several options you can choose from in this initial group buy. The featured product will be a completely assembled keyboard, to include CNC milled anodized aluminum case, in either black or silver color; completely programmable PCB with backlight support, with all electronics pre-soldered at the factory; CNC milled anodized aluminum switch plate (standard layout), color-matched to case; choice of Cherry MX switches (brown, blue, black, or red); and printed black ABS keycaps with front-printed function layer legends. This package is priced at $219.99.

As this project started with a hobbyist focus, there is also a DIY option available. This package includes the alu case, pre-soldered PCB, and either Alps (standard layout) or MX (universal) switch plate only. This package assumes that people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps. This package option reduces by $40 the price of the standard package.

The CNC milled anodized aluminum case is available in two versions. The standard version is a low profile, rectangular case, very similar in design to a TEX 60% alu case with front lip. Optionally, there is a higher walled case with the corners blocked, to give it a similar visual appreal as the popular HHKB. This case option adds $20 to the package price.

I will be shipping all orders for the initial group buy personally. Actual shipping cost for shipping to your location will be added to your order.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:37:06 »
This is great news JD!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #414 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:34:17 »
Okay, so...pricing. I know everyone is curious what the price will be for the JD45 keyboard. I think I finally have it nailed down.

There are several options you can choose from in this initial group buy. The featured product will be a completely assembled keyboard, to include CNC milled anodized aluminum case, in either black or silver color; completely programmable PCB with backlight support, with all electronics pre-soldered at the factory; CNC milled anodized aluminum switch plate (standard layout), color-matched to case; choice of Cherry MX switches (brown, blue, black, or red); and printed black ABS keycaps with front-printed function layer legends. This package is priced at $219.99.

As this project started with a hobbyist focus, there is also a DIY option available. This package includes the alu case, pre-soldered PCB, and either Alps (standard layout) or MX (universal) switch plate only. This package assumes that people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps. This package option reduces by $40 the price of the standard package.

The CNC milled anodized aluminum case is available in two versions. The standard version is a low profile, rectangular case, very similar in design to a TEX 60% alu case with front lip. Optionally, there is a higher walled case with the corners blocked, to give it a similar visual appreal as the popular HHKB. This case option adds $20 to the package price.

I will be shipping all orders for the initial group buy personally. Actual shipping cost for shipping to your location will be added to your order.

At first the price seemed a bit high, but then I realized that's including a fully assembled board. Count me in!
Any mock-ups of the HHKB-style board? It sounds kinda cute, but I'm not sure if I'd like the missing keys on a scale this small. Just saw a mock-up of this style a page afore. Looks enticing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 14:04:01 by romevi »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:39:32 »
Gonna have to see pics of the higher case, I think it will look great, and I think I will have a hard time choosing.. Maybe I need two  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:26:53 »
Gonna have to see pics of the higher case, I think it will look great, and I think I will have a hard time choosing.. Maybe I need two  :))

"I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend"

Show Image

HYPE TRAIN

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:19:43 »

Show Image

HYPE TRAIN
That's it, thanks Hoffman. The low profile case comes even with the switch plate, while the higher walled case comes even with the bottom of the keycap skirt.

in memoriam

Offline joey

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:26:22 »
Congrats jdcarpe! Very cool to pair up with TEX!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:36:02 »

Show Image

HYPE TRAIN

Now I need to get that higher case!

Offline justinyhuang

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:06:25 »
what a nice keyboard!
any chance to add an option of PCB and plate only?
i've been thinking about making a JD45 using my own case and switches.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:22:01 »
what a nice keyboard!
any chance to add an option of PCB and plate only?
i've been thinking about making a JD45 using my own case and switches.

I don't have any plans to do that at this time. These will be packaged as assembled keyboards and DIY kits by the manufacturer, so there won't really be any way to offer individual components. And I will be shipping everything out of my house, so the fewer chances for me to mess things up, the better. ;)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #422 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:32:53 »
Glad to see this coming to life. I'll have to live vicariously through all the pictures I'm sure will be posted when people start getting these.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:55:37 »
Glad to see this coming to life. I'll have to live vicariously through all the pictures I'm sure will be posted when people start getting these.

Yeah me too. After the Smallfry GB and the horrible exchange rate, I won't be in this group buy, but I am excited to see more pictures of the happy case JD45!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 06:43:21 »

Speaking of TEX...

Great to see a member of the community able to collaborate with an established manufacturer. :thumbsup:

Offline Vimto

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 07:27:41 »
where do we order??

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 08:09:52 »
where do we order??
I am having a web site built to take the orders, and it should go live very soon. Once the group buy opens, I will be accepting orders for 30 days. I will post the order link here on GH, as well as on most of the usual social media.

in memoriam

Offline shem

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:10:30 »
I wonder what the glorious retro grey keycaps were in the original Twitter sneak peek and if it's possible to get them somewhere.
HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline toidbb

« Reply #428 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:27:53 »

I wonder what the glorious retro grey keycaps were in the original Twitter sneak peek and if it's possible to get them somewhere.

Shem,

So you mean the keyset in the pictures above?

If so that is Hack'd by geeks keyset. The original GB is here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67446.0

Right now the only way to get it is through the used market.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:53:24 »
Yes, it's no coincidence that the Hack'd By Geeks set includes compatibility with the JD45 keyboard. :)

Maybe I should look into offering another round of the set? Only problem is that SA is so backed up at SP that it would be months before production would begin.

in memoriam

Offline toidbb

« Reply #430 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:58:15 »

Yes, it's no coincidence that the Hack'd By Geeks set includes compatibility with the JD45 keyboard. :)

Maybe I should look into offering another round of the set? Only problem is that SA is so backed up at SP that it would be months before production would begin.

Better months than never? And at least you would be on the schedule. I do not see their queue decreasing in size anytime soon.

Offline shem

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:39:43 »

Better months than never? And at least you would be on the schedule. I do not see their queue decreasing in size anytime soon.

Yeah, I mean these:
http://i.imgur.com/3A6511K.jpg

I'm ordering one in any case but with these it would be absolutely sweet.

HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 16:15:36 »

Agreed. I am definitely considering running another round with the same kit setup, especially since full compatibility with the JD45 is there. I will look into it and let you guys know.

in memoriam

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 16:18:49 »

Speaking of TEX...

Give all the boys a hand!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #434 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:07:28 »

If you all will allow me one more...

I want to give a huge THANK YOU to swill for building the ordering web page for me. His tireless efforts have produced a professional design, which is easy to navigate, and integrates orders, shipping, etc.

swill is a beast, and worked non-stop to make this happen in a very short timeframe. Anyone looking for a professional, courteous, and attentive designer should look no further than swill for all your web design needs.

in memoriam

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:21:56 »
IT'S ALMOST HERE!

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:26:51 »
Anybody want to give me $240 so I can get the HHKB layout?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:19:14 »

If you all will allow me one more...

I want to give a huge THANK YOU to swill for building the ordering web page for me. His tireless efforts have produced a professional design, which is easy to navigate, and integrates orders, shipping, etc.

swill is a beast, and worked non-stop to make this happen in a very short timeframe. Anyone looking for a professional, courteous, and attentive designer should look no further than swill for all your web design needs.
Awww, thanks buddy. :) 

It was a pleasure. You have been a big influence on my DIY adventures and have been super supportive of my builder tool. This was the least I can do.

BTW,  since I have not seen a link to the gb thread yet, here it is: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79797.msg2062635.msg#2062635

Offline dgdosen

« Reply #438 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:17:52 »
I really like this keyboard, but can't see myself buying a low profile board that's not also bt enabled.

So my questions are:

what bt module are you using?
how big a battery can you fit into this case?
how long will the battery last?

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:06:29 »
I really like this keyboard, but can't see myself buying a low profile board that's not also bt enabled.

So my questions are:

I'm no expert here but I think the answer to everything is no.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #440 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:32:15 »

So my questions are:

You might PM member justinyhuang, as he is the one who got the BT module (BlueSmirf?) working with his JD45 prototype PCB.

I can't answer as to what battery will fit in the case, as I haven't attempted to add BT to the production sample case yet.

in memoriam

Offline dgdosen

« Reply #441 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 00:19:14 »

You might PM member justinyhuang, as he is the one who got the BT module (BlueSmirf?) working with his JD45 prototype PCB.

I can't answer as to what battery will fit in the case, as I haven't attempted to add BT to the production sample case yet.

Will do... I thought I was replying to his post... First post ever on Geek Hack...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #442 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 00:24:55 »

Will do... I thought I was replying to his post... First post ever on Geek Hack...
No problem at all. He might see the question in this thread. :)

And welcome to Geekhack!

in memoriam

Offline justinyhuang

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:23:29 »

No problem at all. He might see the question in this thread. :)

And welcome to Geekhack!

yes i've been watching this thread. my favorite keyboard so far, good job JD  ;D

i tried the BlueFruit ez-key module and it works well with JD45.
the size of the battery is only limited by the room of the case, before i can have the case in hand it would be hard for me to tell what battery can fit in.
it is a while ago, if i recall correctly, i used a 2500mh battery, roughly 8 hours active use a day and keep the keyboard on with bluetooth connection all the time, it last me about 2 days. i am working on a new solution with a new case and a new battery and an on/off switch, which should support over 10 days use without recharge.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 06:01:11 »
Can someone with a prototype say how comfortable is the default layout? I can't afford a JD45 but have a 40% keyboard already. Just wanted to know how is it with the numpad style number/symbol layers.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #445 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 06:37:33 »
OK, I'm still new to this. I want to use a 6.25u space bar. What are my options for spacing on the bottom row?

I think it is: 1.25 - 1.00 - 1.00 - 6.25 - 1.00 - 1.00 - 1.50

But I'm not sure. I appreciate any help.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 07:11:54 »
OK, I'm still new to this. I want to use a 6.25u space bar. What are my options for spacing on the bottom row?

Very close, actually! There are a few ways you can move around the different sizes on the bottom row, but I do it like this:

1.25-1.00-1.00-6.25-1.25-1.00-1.25

in memoriam

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #447 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 13:48:18 »

Very close, actually! There are a few ways you can move around the different sizes on the bottom row, but I do it like this:

Thanks for the replay, that helps clear things up. Any chance I could do:

1.25-1.00-1.00-6.25-1.00-1.25-1.25?

I like having the 1u flank the spacebar symmetrically.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #448 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 14:03:44 »
+1

I want one!
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #449 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 14:10:29 »

Thanks for the replay, that helps clear things up. Any chance I could do:

1.25-1.00-1.00-6.25-1.00-1.25-1.25?

I like having the 1u flank the spacebar symmetrically.
Yes, however, I think I misspoke earlier. Your layout with the 1.50u on the right should work, too..

See this post for all bottom row layout options: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.msg1468124.msg#1468124

in memoriam