Author Topic: Elcom users - Do Elcom products last over the long haul? (and M-XT4DR Question)  (Read 42991 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
Can any Elecom trackball users who have had their trackball for a year or more speak to the long-term durability of Elecom trackballs?
Likewise, could Elecom users who have had their trackball give out before hitting the one year mark post about their experience?

I ask because I have the impression that their trackballs look great, but are often let down by a) switches that do not last and b) Unicomp-level attention to detail (i.e. their products appear fine at first glance, but closer inspection reveals that the quality control leaves a great deal to be desired).

The above deficiencies seem to result, more often than not, in Elecom trackballs rarely lasting more than a year (two at most) before something needs replacing and/or they expire altogether.  Admittedly, I could be wrong about this and I am posting in the hopes that enough Elecom users will come forward with their experiences (good or bad) so as to give a potential purchaser a fair idea of what they might expect.

Finally, I cannot find so much as a single mention of the Elecom M-XT4DR left-handed trackball on Geekhack.  Er, am I missing something?  Or is it simply a matter of left-handed trackball users being in the minority on GH?

If anyone reading this has used the M-XT4DR, I would very much like to hear what you thought of it.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 00:05:08 by Stupidface »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I've been using my huge for about 18 months, no issues yet.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

before something needs replacing and/or they expire altogether.  Admittedly, I could be wrong about this and I am posting in the hopes that enough Elecom users will come forward with their experiences (good or bad) so as to give a potential purchaser a fair idea of what they might expect.

My Huge needed bearing replacements from the moment the packaging was opened.

Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration. Pity, as I do wonder how usable it would have been with decent bearings.

Offline Stupidface

Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration.

To clarify: Did the delay result from Elecom taking forever to pop the new bearings into the post?  Or rather, were they quick enough to mail you the requested parts, but chose to dispatch them via 10th Class Camel Post?

(Or did they give you the worst of all possible worlds and subject you to both forms of iniquity?)

Offline jamster

Unfortunately, new bearings took so long to ship that I'd just ditched the trackball out of frustration.

To clarify: Did the delay result from Elecom taking forever to pop the new bearings into the post?  Or rather, were they quick enough to mail you the requested parts, but chose to dispatch them via 10th Class Camel Post?

(Or did they give you the worst of all possible worlds and subject you to both forms of iniquity?)

Elecom don't provide these bearings, I don't think they even acknowledge that their bearings are sub-par. You have to source them yourself. I went through Aliexpress, and shipping took more than several months.

Offline RSMilward

I've had both a left- and right-handed Elecom EX-G (M-XT4DR and M-XT3DR) since mid-2020. I replaced the bearings with ceramic balls from eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/371912447892), and that made a big difference. I'm planning to replace the main switches when they get more erratic - it's getting to where I have to push them at just the right spot for them to register. But overall I've been very pleased with them.
Let me suggest: https://www.trackballmouse.org/elecom-trackball-range-explained/ and https://michtw.blogspot.com/2018/07/elecom-ex-g-zippy-df3-p1l0-disassembly.html [run it through Google Translate]. And I'm using EitherMouse so I have 2 separate cursors: https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3648 -- this is great for my 2-monitor setup.

Offline Stupidface

I'm planning to replace the main switches when they get more erratic - it's getting to where I have to push them at just the right spot for them to register.

May I ask how many months it took for the switches to get to the point where you started encountering this?  And was this after daily or occasional use?

(I understand you have had Elecom products since mid-2020.  However, I am wondering whether you were using them on a day-to-day or on a more sporadic basis.)

Offline Blamas

I'v been using the deft pro for a little bit more than a year with the stock bearings. Everything is fine, just need to often clean the bearings, my only issue with their products is the software and lack of onboard memory for profiles.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Replaced my Elecom Huge bearings with Uxcell 2.5mm Ceramic Bearing Balls on day one (March 2021).  It's a little difficult to clean around the trackball shell, and the foam padding was marred by my lava hands, but it's still perfectly usable.  Great accuracy and movement too.

Offline atarione

I got this for my birthday nearly 1 yrs ago...  I didn't like the stock grey ball at all so I quickly order a Perixx replacement.    As it turns out I don't use this as much as thought I would,  I have a twitch in my hands and the thumball is hard for me to keep still/ on target.. However I do use this a few times a week, and lately have been trying to use it more to see if I can get the hang of it..   I wish the larger models where available in Lefthanded versions however.      Mine works fine (other than my own twitchy hand that is).. still about 1yr on.. but it hasn't been used extensively.   I would say that the materials used don't feel premium.. the plastic feels pretty cheap honestly... I wish there were more lefty options out there but there isn't much.
 290061-0

Offline Stupidface

I wish there were more lefty options out there but there isn't much.

Indeed.  I cannot say I have kept up, but I looked around a while back and, as far as I know, the Elecom M-XT4DR left-handed trackball is the only thumb-driven trackball made today specifically designed for left-handed users.

Having said that, have you looked at any of the larger, old school ambidextrous trackballs that can be used with the fingers/palm of either hand?  I am wondering if a larger, heavier trackball might help you as far as involuntary hand movements go. 

(Of course, the old school trackballs do not tend to lend themselves well to precise movements, so you would be the best judge of whether or not this would be a good idea.)

I wish the larger models where available in Lefthanded versions however. 

Me, too.  However, considering how many years manufacturers have had to come up with new left-handed trackball offerings, the probability of another manufacturer getting into the game at this point is not likely to be high.

So, I am going to throw out an idea.

(NB: This idea is probably far more trouble than it is worth and I am saying so up front.  I only mention it because, a) you never know who is lurking on GH and, b) for all I know, someone reading this could have both the skills and the will to do it. 

If that someone is you, and you are looking specifically for a thumb-driven trackball designed for larger hands, it may be worth a go.  Read on and decide for yourself.)

Last century, Logitech made a thumb-driven trackball called the Logitech Trackman:

290063-0

As you can see, it was designed for right hands, but it was also designed for large right hands.  I know this because my own hands are in the large-ish range and, being ambidextrous, I used one of these for years.

(This next bit is where the "far more trouble than it is worth" aspect comes in.)

Someone well-versed in CAD software and small-scale manufacturing might be able to pick up one of these, reverse the right-handed design, and make one (or have one made) for left hands. 

Obviously, this is not something that could be done in an afternoon (to say the least), but considering what the offerings are in the way of left-handed trackballs, whoever does this might be able to sell a few (and, of course, they could always check the interest level for it on GH before they embark on the project).

The patent for this particular design ran out a few years ago (the first model of these came out in 1995), so anyone doing this may also be able to update the design a bit while they are at it.

(Now you see why I said it was probably more trouble that it was worth, don't you?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2022, 02:03:32 by Stupidface »

Offline atarione

oh dear...   I honestly would have bought this right now.. except the lefthanded version seems to be out of stock currently... which is making me grumpy =\   =p oh well emailed them to inquire when more lefthanded models might be available just now?   

of course they only have photos of the right handed version.. meh...     not sure about the 3d printed shell... but I suppose you could sand /paint it??  however my attempt at painting my Sensei MLG mouse was not super successful (looked great ... then wore really quickly.) if I did it again I guess I would use 2k clear coat?

290093-0

Offline Stupidface

oh dear...   I honestly would have bought this right now.. except the lefthanded version seems to be out of stock currently... which is making me grumpy =\   =p oh well emailed them to inquire when more lefthanded models might be available just now?   

Here is the URL for the trackball you are mention in case anyone else is interested:

https://ploopy.co/classic-trackball/

Apparently, the site sells products in Canadian dollars.  At the current rate of exchange, the one you have your eye on is US$164 and up fully assembled, depending on which options the purchaser chooses, though they do have kits available for less money.

If you pick one up, can you please post back and tell us whether it turns out to be worth the money?  Perhaps I am missing something, but they seem somewhat cagey about how long they will warranty their products for:

8. WARRANTY

8.1. The Company’s Product warranty is as set forth in The Company’s Product Agreement, which is included as a clickwrap agreement with the Product, and is also available from The Company upon request. The warranty set forth in the Product Agreement is the exclusive warranty made by The Company to you. The Company disclaims all other representations, warranties and conditions, whether express or implied, including but not limited to any express or implied representations, warranties or conditions of merchantability, merchantable quality, fitness for a particular purpose, durability, title, non-infringement, or any other warranty or condition arising by statute, custom or usage of trade related to the products provided hereunder. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties and conditions. To the extent permitted by law, any implied warranties or conditions relating to the Product to the extent that they cannot be excluded as set out above are limited to one (1) year from the date that the Product is delivered to you.

I am baffled as to why they do not see fit to list the warranty period up front along with the rest of the product information, but force the reader to dig for it instead.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2022, 06:09:12 by Stupidface »