Author Topic: NYC Mini Meetup  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
NYC Mini Meetup
« on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:45:00 »
TacticalStache, Riotonthebay and myself all found some extra time on our hands so we decided to have a little meetup on Saturday
I had a great time, was really cool to meet members from the community in person for the first time.
Two really cool guys, and a ton of keyboards and keycaps...would have been even more if I had brought more of my collection and had Riot done the same
Tact is a guy who loves stock keyboards and has a lot of them, so it was great to try a lot of varieties. Riot brought his HHKB which was really great to try and a bunch of novelties.

List of what was here:
-G80-3700HQAUS (67g lubed blacks) [me]
-HHKB Pro2 [Riot]
-Realforce 87U 45g Modded [Tact]
-QFR (blacks) [Tact]
-Ducky Shine 3 (blacks) [Tact]
-QFR (greens) [Tact]
-Filco MJ2 TKl (reds) [Tact]
-G80-5000HAMDE (browns + superblacks) [me]
-IBM SSK '91 [me]
-Filco MJ2 TKL (blues) [Tact]
-Filco MiniLA (browns) [Tact]
-Ducky DK1087XM (alps greens) [Tact]
-KUL ES-87 (clears) [Tact]
-Ducky DK9008 G2 Pro (browns) [My younger brothers]
-IBM Tree Alps [Tact]

Now I don't usually like to write a LOT and I much prefer photography and photos, so I'm going to post a lot of them here and link the album

Was really nice to get to try a lot of boards IRL. I've been wanting to try topre for a few weeks now (mainly so I could just try it and also because I really need a keyboard that is USB and not only ps2/DIN LOL)  and I finally got that chance. I can understand why people love it so much, it's a nice unique feel. Really soft and velvety, reminded me a lot of ergo clears, (which makes sense) but felt a little light. I tried only 45g on the Realforce and on the HHKB, so hopefully I can try 55g soon. Overall, I think I will be picking up an EK edition 87u 45g from elitekeyboards soon..have to buy a few things lined up before I can get to that. I liked the realforce because it was a more standard tkl layout (the bottom row bothers me lol) and it obviously felt really nice and well built. I did like the hhkb, and I might look into picking one up in the future, because right now the realforce is a little cheap and I have another expensive thing in the mail so I need to save :)). The infamous layout was cool to see, and the fact that it was modded to be silent with the dampeners was nice as well. Good to compare the two. I have to say, I like the original sound a lot because its a nice thwock, but the silent would come in serious handy sometimes.

I know a lot of people have been looking at the new KUL boards, and I have to say for $130 I was really impressed. I was looking at one for the reasons I said above, and trying to decide between the KUL or a Topre board, and I can say had I not liked the realforce so much, I would have instantly bought the KUL. I may later on just to have a modern stock mx board. Really well built, solid case and feeling, and clears as an option for just $130. The stock keycaps were crap as expected, so even if it had nice stock caps then that would be a plus. Really nice keyboard, I will look into one into the future.

Was cool to see Riot's Brobot collection and his OG TRI, it's really exciting to see novelties in real life after only viewing photos of them for months. I get the same feeling whenever I get a new one in the mail. Obviously the OG TRI was my favorite of all of his, been a fan of that clack for a long time now.

now for some pics:

The Realforce. Again, really liked this. I think the funky pink keycaps look nice on the white body  :))
Of all the quick point and shooting I was doing, this was my favorite shot. Maybe it's because I liked the realforce so much :))

Riot's HHKB.

dat OG

The first time I saw this keyboard was on reddit in early 2013. really cool to see it in person just because I saw it so long ago. thing has some serious wear on it :P

Tact's daily driver (vesper you can see my sperrys)

Overall great time, great keyboards and great guys. Enjoy the photos!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99760972@N03/sets/72157645189608664/
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:49:27 by Dubsgalore »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: NYC Mini Meetup
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:40:40 »
Awesome write-up + photos dubs! Glad to hear you guys had a nice time.  That GMK Cyrillic set looks so good on that filco, I bet it looks better in person. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:43:55 »
Darn! Wish I was there.

I don't know if there is enough east coast love.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:45:07 »
Awesome write-up + photos dubs! Glad to hear you guys had a nice time.  That GMK Cyrillic set looks so good on that filco, I bet it looks better in person.

It's a ducky :p

and yeah, it's pretty awesome

The Filcos are the Olivetti and the Camo.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:53:51 »
You guys put keyboards outside?? Blasphemy.

Nice pictures and nice writeup. Looking forward to meeting some NYC people this year.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:57:01 »
Is that a clack wallpaper on that iPhone? Haha looks pretty cool.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 17:57:05 »

It is yes
want the pic? :P

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:02:11 »
Wow, wish we had one of these in arizona, would be awesome to try some other switches :D Cool pics though!

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:04:33 »

It is yes
want the pic? :P

I found it on Reddit, they're clean! Also, some others he made with different resolutions:

More

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:07:00 by billnye29 »

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:06:58 »
Looks like you had a blast.

So many nice boards.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:08:07 »
Very cool. I would love to have a meetup like this in the DC area, but I don't think there are many other members around here.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 18:59:25 »
Very cool. I would love to have a meetup like this in the DC area, but I don't think there are many other members around here.
NOVA here, if only I could drive myself :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline intelli78

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 19:01:17 »
Oh whattupp. what about the metro?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 19:08:37 »
Oh whattupp. what about the metro?
I'm in a tiny town so it would still be a little ways. Maybe though
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline combataran

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 19:51:11 »
What caps are on the black Filco? The colors work really well together.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 19:52:21 »

Sherry's GMK Olivetti set

though, my set has a lot of wear on it, hence the cyan spacebar and ESC

EDIT: got ya CPT
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 19:52:40 »

Olivetti GMK set with GMK Cyan spacebar and escape.