Author Topic: [IC] Battle Mat- Large desk mat (Part rubber keyboard mat, part mousepad)  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Den441

Hey GHers! I'm starting this IC because I think there is a need for a desk mat made specifically with keyboard enthusiasts in mind as well as gamers. We all know that keyboards and wrist rests have the tendency to move around sometimes - even with rubber feet on them. The rubber section of the Battle Mat will ensure your gear stays in place with its thick heavy duty rubber surface. The rubber is also easy to clean which gives it great utility if you are a vaper or just like to set beverages on your desktop. The mousepad section uses the same heavy duty rubber as a base, but it is topped with a thin layer of plastic (or cloth)  for maximum mouse maneuverability. This product is basically intended to be a great keyboard mat and mousepad combined into one large desk mat. The rubber should do a better job at holding gear in place than cloth desk mats.

The logo is an old Han Chinese character connected with competition, striving for victory, and battle. It will be printed in the upper right hand corner, upside down for the left hand version.
The dimensions will be 88cm x 36cm (about 35in x 14in) total. The rubber section will be 54cm x 36 cm, and the mousepad section will be 34cm x 36cm. After some testing with different keyboard sizes, I have found this to be an optimal size for both sections and the mat as a whole. That being said I will still listen to and appreciate input on the dimensions, logo, and materials.

Right now, I would like this to be a high quality, Made in the USA desk mat. However, that may prove to be cost prohibitive in the end if there is not enough interest. I may have to consider overseas manufacturing in that case. The bottom line is I would like the price to end up somewhere in the $25-30 range.

If you would be interested in such a product, please let me know by posting in this thread.

Thank You!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 15:43:57 by Den441 »
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] Battle Mat- Large desk mat (Part rubber keyboard mat, part mousepad)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 03:52:02 »
I'm interested!

Offline justnits

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 03:52:06 »
frankly speaking, your IC's title did caught my attention and interest, but unfortunately the price is a bit too steep for this design.

the only other similar item i can compare to is tekmat (i am using one at home)
they are priced at $24.99 with various gun assembly diagram and stuff. dimension is about 91cm x 30cm.

i noticed there's 2 different hue of colour, one black and one a very dark grey on the right side with the logo.
the left side you mentioned is rubber, which i assume is without the cloth and it'll be the same as the bottom part of the mat? won't it be a dust magnet and difficult to clean?

i'll really be interested if it can do custom print for a full size cloth mat.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Den441

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 04:37:14 »
frankly speaking, your IC's title did caught my attention and interest, but unfortunately the price is a bit too steep for this design.

the only other similar item i can compare to is tekmat (i am using one at home)
they are priced at $24.99 with various gun assembly diagram and stuff. dimension is about 91cm x 30cm.

i noticed there's 2 different hue of colour, one black and one a very dark grey on the right side with the logo.
the left side you mentioned is rubber, which i assume is without the cloth and it'll be the same as the bottom part of the mat? won't it be a dust magnet and difficult to clean?

i'll really be interested if it can do custom print for a full size cloth mat.

Thanks for the input! You're right, the keyboard surface will be the same as the bottom part of the mat. Whether that is tougher to clean is a good question. I was thinking that because it was rubber, you could just wipe it off from time to time pretty easily. The rubber mat I got from fohat.digs wipes off easily, but the surface is smooth. This mat may be a bit more textured. Still, I think if you are willing to wipe it off from time to time, it should be fine. It should certainly take a spill better than a cloth mat. The grey part is meant to symbolize the thin layer of plastic over the rubber for the mousepad section. This hard version mousepad is what I had in mind for the $25-30 mat. A cloth version made overseas would be closer to $20, maybe even cheaper. If there is not enough interest at the higher price point, I may opt to go with that option. All the mats will have the same printing because custom prints generally require a MOQ.

Offline animal

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 05:08:48 »
Nice idea. If a left handed uses this, the logo would be upside down and on the top left corner making it not look so good. I would consider using a symmetrical logo placed somewhere in the center. But again, who cares about us lefties :(
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline Den441

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 05:24:58 »
Nice idea. If a left handed uses this, the logo would be upside down and on the top left corner making it not look so good. I would consider using a symmetrical logo placed somewhere in the center. But again, who cares about us lefties :(

Haha, sadly you are correct, I did not consider lefties! That is something I will definitely take into consideration now! I will likely just ask to print the logo in the  upper right hand corner, upside down for a few of the mats to make a left hand version.