Author Topic: [IC] 60% Optical Switch PCB  (Read 5862 times)

Offline befbef

[IC] 60% Optical Switch PCB
« on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:30:19 »
Hello everybody,

I'm working on creating a pcb for optical switches (Gateron) that fits in standard 60% cases and supports QMK.
The main reason for this project is to build a board with optical linear switches.
Without the metal leaf they seem to be the smoothest linear switch available, but there's no standard pcb I could find.
Of course the non-linear switches could be used as well but I'm not sure if there's any advantage over the non-optical gateron switches.

Here's the link to my IC form:
https://goo.gl/forms/xR446wyOSZ191ccJ2

Please let me know what you think about.

Thank you, best regards
Stephan
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2018, 06:44:15 by befbef »

Offline befbef

Re: [IC] 60% Optical Switch PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 06:34:02 »
Thanks to all who already filled out the form. I'll create a reddit post later and hope to get some more interest. Based on this data I'll make a price estimation until next week to see how much participants are needed to get the pcb for less than $40.

Offline ubmit

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 08:14:50 »
Hyped!
Lyn Whale | KFE CE | Frog | Singa | Dolice | Haus | Kei | Polaris | Prophet | Bongoneko

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 11:50:50 »
Submitted the form, make this happen!!!

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 00:04:10 »
This sounds pretty cool!  I have a keyboard with these stretches and I like them a lot, but it's made by the makers of the gk64 and the software leaves a lot to be desired. QMK would be great.

If I can make a suggesting, South facing LED cutout orientation would be my preference for best cherry profile keycap compatibility (for the same reason as with non optical switches, some keycaps could hit the tops of the switches with North facing LED orientation)

Here's an example of these switches lubed with 3204

Offline befbef

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 05:54:21 »
Thank you for your video. They sound pretty nice. Is the sound different to the other Gateron switches or am I wrong?
Does this PCB fit in standard 60% cases? Or are there any that fit?

I thought there is no optical switch PCB fitting 60% cases but some told me there are.
Does a GB with different layouts and QMK support make sense anyway?
Of course the LEDs will be south facing.

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 08:56:03 »
I think they sound a little different than other Gateron.

The Monkey King PCB I have does fit standard 60% cases but the firmware is closed source and the PCB also doesn't support PCB mounted stabilizer on left shift. The plate they sell doesn't fit standard 60% cases but you can use a different plate as long as it supports plate mount stabilizers.

If you wanted one for research they are pretty cheap:
http://www.epathbuy.com/product/igk6x-optical-mechanical-keyboard-pcb/

I think even if your PCB was like theirs but with QMK instead, South facing LEDs, and full support for PCB mount stabilizers, it would be a big improvement over what they are selling.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 August 2018, 08:58:08 by Walkerstop »

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 11:43:44 »
I’m pretty interested in this. Case compatibility and QMK would both be huge positives.

Offline befbef

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 12:00:25 »
Thank you for your feedback.
I've been watching their GBs for months and was hoping that they come up with qmk and other layouts.

The next days we will make a pcb design and calculate prices for different (small) MOQs.
Not sure how much different layouts will be possible. I'll try to include the top voted layouts (HHKB is the clear winner followed by ANSI and WKL).
Hope we will get a fair price for the switches too.
The votes for LEDs are 50/50 between "no" and "would be nice". Let's see if we skip them for price or include a dz60 like underglow.

Criticism, suggestions and feedback highly appreciated!

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 23:41:46 »
If the optical switches are hot swap it might be worth considering offering a plate that can secure to the PCB via standoffs. It kinda ruins the simplicity of the project but could be a quality-of-life improvement.

Offline befbef

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 20:21:57 »
Oh yes, that makes sense. But standoffs should work with existing plates. I'll check that. If not, we could offer special plates. For top mount cases it's getting difficult, but that's a problem for all hotswap pcbs.

Offline ProgrammerBruce

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 11:52:56 »
Has this progressed beyond the initial IC?

Offline Oogtug84

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 12:09:25 »
Dug this up from the graveyard aye?