Author Topic: Vintage black  (Read 2159 times)

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

Vintage black
« on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 02:30:20 »
I’m intended to buy vintage black but I don’t know how to define if it is true or not, and someone told me to look at the pcb manufacture date, and he sent me this. But I don’t know what is it about. Because he already desolder the switch so I had no clue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 02:33:40 by MilkTea_QAQ »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Vintage black
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:58:14 »
Ask him to send you picture of the pcb , and then also ask him to show you the number on the stem.
Picture of the pcb determines layout and you can look at the traces of it to see how old it is
Also you can see if there are numbers on the stems - those were before 1994-5 retool only
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

Vintage black
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 09:06:44 »
Ask him to send you picture of the pcb , and then also ask him to show you the number on the stem.
Picture of the pcb determines layout and you can look at the traces of it to see how old it is
Also you can see if there are numbers on the stems - those were before 1994-5 retool only
I asked him before but he said he threw the pcb away, but he did have serial number on the stem.
But why having serial number means it is not a vintage black?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 09:09:03 by MilkTea_QAQ »

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 12:43:34 »
I can tell a scary story: I found hasro (year on case is 1991) and the switches are sucks. Small logo. Super scratchy. Cleaning not save.
I have another hasro, switches good (dirt/after clean same). Big logo, numbers on stems.
I have 93 Wyse-style terminal keeb. 26 switches with south cuts, battery smuf. Rest ones with north cuts, less smuf, but OK. All with small logo.
I have Cherry g80-1800 95' switches OK. Big logo.

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

Vintage black
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 12:50:56 »
I can tell a scary story: I found hasro (year on case is 1991) and the switches are sucks. Small logo. Super scratchy. Cleaning not save.
I have another hasro, switches good (dirt/after clean same). Big logo, numbers on stems.
I have 93 Wyse-style terminal keeb. 26 switches with south cuts, battery smuf. Rest ones with north cuts, less smuf, but OK. All with small logo.
I have another question. Will cleaning the switches matters, since I notice another person also has vintage black. He didn’t clean the switch but the sound are amazing! Almost no scratchy sound can be heard. Do I still need to clean and lube him, straight into lubing or don’t lube it? The first time I heard those vintage black sound just blew my mind and I decided to get one. Are vintage black still the best or top 3 sounding and smooth switch in the market?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 12:55:39 by MilkTea_QAQ »

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 13:23:47 »
I have another question. Will cleaning the switches matters, since I notice another person also has vintage black. He didn’t clean the switch but the sound are amazing! Almost no scratchy sound can be heard. Do I still need to clean and lube him, straight into lubing or don’t lube it? The first time I heard those vintage black sound just blew my mind and I decided to get one. Are vintage black still the best or top 3 sounding and smooth switch in the market?

Definitely clean them, but if they don't feel smooth before lubing they probably aren't a great batch.

Others happen to think the reason vintage (pre-1994) get so smooth is due to the heavy use on them. I haven't really seen any evidence that points one way or the other.

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:09:20 »

Needs clean if they dirty.
Don'd know about sound, but heard that opinions.
Critox 205g0 is too thick for vint blacks. Feels bad. Needs something lighter. No lube is good option too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:12:45 by Mikhail »

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:12:38 »

Definitely clean them, but if they don't feel smooth before lubing they probably aren't a great batch.

Others happen to think the reason vintage (pre-1994) get so smooth is due to the heavy use on them. I haven't really seen any evidence that points one way or the other.
How do you clean the switches? I heard that people uses ultrasonic cleaner to clean it, sadly I don’t have those. what are the other ways to clean it?

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:14:44 »

Critox 205g0 is too thick for vint blacks. Feels bad. Needs something lighter. No lube is good option too.
At least by the photo the seller is giving, it is not dirty. he said he hasn’t done anything but desolder it from the board

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

Vintage black
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:16:33 »

Then what do you recommend to lube it, I only have 205g0 and 105 in hand, not knowing much about lubricant :/
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:19:15 by MilkTea_QAQ »

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 18:07:11 »
No idea, im newbe too))
I just try crytox one time and it's sucks, and one veteran told me that crytox is "rarely fits".

I think more important is sellers skills and reputation.
He could make photos of donor keyboard as it came, any stickers and data marks on case and inside.
Photos of disassembled switch. How with dirt and contact oxidation. How with chattering/double-click.
He can say how smof switches in scale from battery to scratchy.
I think it's basics things seller should do.

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 18:43:00 »

How do you clean the switches? I heard that people uses ultrasonic cleaner to clean it, sadly I don’t have those. what are the other ways to clean it?

Yes I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner around the time I registered on GH, it has paid for itself, I've cleaned in the range of 600 or so switches on it.

You could also use electronics q-tips (not sure what the proper name for them is, they won't shed cotton like regular q-tips) with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 20:44:08 »
This is the sound the seller gave me, he said he cleaned the switch with ultrasonic cleaner 

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 06:37:04 »

Yes I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner around the time I registered on GH, it has paid for itself, I've cleaned in the range of 600 or so switches on it.

You could also use electronics q-tips (not sure what the proper name for them is, they won't shed cotton like regular q-tips) with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.
I bought a few of vintage black, I’m wondering if u need the clean the housing with water too, and how long u need to wait for them to dry