Author Topic: Keyboard with scroll wheel  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Rubbaduck

Keyboard with scroll wheel
« on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 12:52:15 »
Why hasn't anyone designed a keyboard with an integrated scroll wheel? A scroll wheel would be so much better than  page up/down since some software don't handle page breaks too well.
A scroll wheel would be especially handy on a laptop since you don't  always have a mouse connected, but it could be handy on a stationary computer too.

If anyone starts a TKL GB with an integrated scroll wheel I'll be the first to sign up.

I read a lot of documents and I would love to be able scroll through them with the keyboard comfortably on my lap.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:43:40 by Rubbaduck »
Corsair K90 MX Blue, Corsair K90 MX Silver, KBD75 with Helios and SA Semiconductor/Crisis, XD87 with NK Blueberries and SA Semiconductor/Crisis

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Keyboard with scroll wheel
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:29:31 »
High end gaming keyboard has this for a long time. But there have been keyboards in GB's with a rotary encoder that you can program to what you want. But like everything in this hobby you are probably to late or didn't win a raffle spot.

Example K70 from corsair

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:34:35 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:35:32 »
I have only seen them on one-handed gaming-keypads: Belkin/Razer Nostromo, Tartarus and ErgoMedia 500,
Another option would be to get a RollerMouse: they tend to have a scrollwheel just a couple cm in front of the keyboard.

There are other ways to scroll though: ThinkPad keyboards use the trackpoint for scrolling when you hold the middle button -- but they require software drivers (or X11 configuration tweaks) to not scroll too fast.
If you build your own keyboard with a community firmware such as QMK, then you could map any two keys to provide "scroll wheel" events.

I don't agree with you that a control - wheel or not - that causes scrollwheel events is as well suited for keyboards as the PgUp/PgDown keys though. In many programs the scrolling controls affect the area immediately underneath the mouse pointer — not the area that has keyboard focus.

Edit:
But there have been keyboards in GB's with a rotary encoder that you can program to what you want.
Has there been any with a horizontal rotary encoder, like on those Corsair keyboards?
I have been looking for an off-the-shelf horizontal knob but not found any. I think that it would have to be custom-made.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:38:35 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Rubbaduck

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:39:45 »
But I don't mean a volume knob, but rather a regular mouse wheel that you can operate with your thumb on the right or left hand side of the keyboard. To replace/complement up/down keys. I imagine a volume knob or a rotary encoder could be configured to do the job, but usually they are not in a very comfortable position.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 13:45:08 by Rubbaduck »
Corsair K90 MX Blue, Corsair K90 MX Silver, KBD75 with Helios and SA Semiconductor/Crisis, XD87 with NK Blueberries and SA Semiconductor/Crisis

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 14:59:39 »
Trackpads do this already....whether that be with doublefinger or holding your finger on the right side of the trackpad....Both of which are better implementations than an actual scroll wheel on a laptop...

If you really want it for  your desktop there are integrated trackpads into keyboards which might be able to help..

As far as with a Mech Keyboard...no...probably because that's likely to be on a desktop and you have access to a mouse and if you're reading a doc you don't need to have a keyboard with you, you can just have a mouse...and if you're editing you're likely using a mouse as well...so the number of actual use cases would appear to be pretty small...

Offline Rubbaduck

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 16:06:29 »
Trackpads do this already....whether that be with doublefinger or holding your finger on the right side of the trackpad....Both of which are better implementations than an actual scroll wheel on a laptop...

If you really want it for  your desktop there are integrated trackpads into keyboards which might be able to help..

As far as with a Mech Keyboard...no...probably because that's likely to be on a desktop and you have access to a mouse and if you're reading a doc you don't need to have a keyboard with you, you can just have a mouse...and if you're editing you're likely using a mouse as well...so the number of actual use cases would appear to be pretty small...
Trackpads are the equivalent of a Sinclair ZX81 keyboard. I thought this was a serious forum.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 00:51:52 »

Trackpads are the equivalent of a Sinclair ZX81 keyboard. I thought this was a serious forum.

With your incredibly great idea for a serious keyboard...

Not to mention trackpads are on basically every single laptop...for a reason...
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2020, 00:53:32 by Polymer »

Offline obzkure

• Mode Designs
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:51:33 »
Someone at my office has a low profile keyboard with a scroll wheel tucked on the bottom lip underneath the spacebar. She swears by it

Offline econeuler

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 13:49:04 »
Rotary encoders are supported on several keyboards, e.g., Kyria, maybe that could be what you are looking for?

Edit: I also read a lot, however I've always used page up and page down, works for me.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2020, 13:51:35 by econeuler »

Offline Maj

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 21:35:17 »
Someone at my office has a low profile keyboard with a scroll wheel tucked on the bottom lip underneath the spacebar. She swears by it

If you ever do find out what keyboard she has or what she did to it then please do tell. I really wanna know, or at least get some photos  :D