Author Topic: Are Zeal Switches housing & Leaf identical?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Jacki

Are Zeal Switches housing & Leaf identical?
« on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 20:19:24 »
I want to stem swap some Zealios V2 with UHMWPE stems, because i'm out of tealios, are the housing and leaf the same?

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Are Zeal Switches housing & Leaf identical?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 20:27:20 »
Zeal switch is a MX clone so yes.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 22:03:34 »

I think they are asking if the tactile / linear leaf is the same , and I don't think it is.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have not not compared the two firsthand. I'm only delving off experience that most linear and tactile leaves are different from each other.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 03:37:01 »
That is absolutely not true at all.

As for Zeal
The differences may be extremely minor and only visible with a micrometer, they may even be compatible and interchangeable, that doesn't mean they're identical and that you wouldn't notice a difference if you swap parts some combinations of hybrid switches have issues, others work fine. However companies often do re-use molds for various parts as much as possible and stems are usually the biggest change.

My advice, give it a try, just don't force anything.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 08:29:33 »
That is absolutely not true at all.

As for Zeal
The differences may be extremely minor and only visible with a micrometer, they may even be compatible and interchangeable, that doesn't mean they're identical and that you wouldn't notice a difference if you swap parts some combinations of hybrid switches have issues, others work fine. However companies often do re-use molds for various parts as much as possible and stems are usually the biggest change.

My advice, give it a try, just don't force anything.

People swap in Cherry silent stems into Zeal housing to make zilents. So yes it should be okay unless UHMWPE stems are not a 1:1 clone from the Cherry stem but i doubt that is the case since they only sell the stems.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Jacki

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 15:29:11 »

I think they are asking if the tactile / linear leaf is the same , and I don't think it is.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have not not compared the two firsthand. I'm only delving off experience that most linear and tactile leaves are different from each other.

I want to make some Linear switches with zeal housing, but i dont have Tealios, its just if the leaf will work with Linear stems

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 15:49:36 »

I want to make some Linear switches with zeal housing, but i dont have Tealios, its just if the leaf will work with Linear stems

It'll work just fine, I have retooled black stems in Zealio V2 housings in my clueboard & they feel pretty much just like tealios IMHO. I'm not 100% sure if Zeal uses stiffer leaves for the tactile switches & a lighter one for the linears, but IME across V1 & V2 Zealios/Tealios the the leaves have seemed to be the same in all of his housings with the stem & springs being different.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 16:14:44 »
It should work  according to everyone

Thanks for adding onto my comment guys

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 17:01:37 »

:thumb: You are right about most switch lines using different leaves for different switch types, I just don't think Zeal does that making him the exception not the rule. So you were giving good info!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 22:08:38 »

:thumb: You are right about most switch lines using different leaves for different switch types, I just don't think Zeal does that making him the exception not the rule. So you were giving good info!

Yes this interchangeability is also true with Gazzew Boba switches. They can be used with linear and tactile stem. I wasn't sure if they applied to others or not cause I know it's a special thing.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 22:19:42 »
V2 housings are 100% without a doubt more tactile than V1 housings. That in mind, I would only make linear switches out of V1 or specifically Tealios/Healios housings. The added pressure from extra tactile leaves is nothing you need for linear switches if you're going to drop this much money making the perfect ones. Oh, unless you confirm v2 tealios and zealios have the same leaf then it prolly doesnt matter at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2020, 22:24:21 by lakeboredom »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 00:31:00 »
People swap in Cherry silent stems into Zeal housing to make zilents. So yes it should be okay unless UHMWPE stems are not a 1:1 clone from the Cherry stem but i doubt that is the case since they only sell the stems.
I did not mean to imply that you were wrong on them working, only the reason why.

You said it will because it's an MX clone.
MX is not a standard of any sort, it's a product, one that companies emulate but it is not a standard.

No group established a set of tolerances or agreed upon internals, the only thing companies claim is compatible is pin and cap compatibility, anything else is open to interpretation. Box switches are MX compatible, good luck swapping those stems into Zeal housings. Outemu and Kailh are compatible and while a Zeal stem may fit you can't even use the same tools to open them. That doesn't even get into the hall effect and optical "MX" switches.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion