Author Topic: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)  (Read 1397283 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(in produced, moving to shipping)
« Reply #900 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:18:32 »
SWEEEET!!!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #901 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:28:21 »
Hmm, I'm debating on letting my order go, as well.

I love the colorway, but I'm too much of a fan of DSA.

PM sent.
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #902 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 03:21:53 »
YUSSSSSSS! I'm going to be out of town for two weeks tho... Hopefully it doesn't get destroyed in the mail while I'm gone.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #903 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 05:27:07 »
YUSSSSSSS! I'm going to be out of town for two weeks tho... Hopefully it doesn't get destroyed in the mail while I'm gone.

I'll stop by your place to make sure it doesn't get "destroyed".    ;)

Offline zflamewing

Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)
« Reply #904 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 12:48:10 »
Sweet!  Looks like I might have these in hand by the time I get my Dox built!
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #905 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 20:16:00 »
I'm the designer of the Solarized colorscheme (http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized) and an occasional GH lurker (mechanical user/fan) and my jaw hit the floor when I came across these in a recent keycap search (randomly searching for DSAs, new keyboards, etc... I seriously hollered out loud and my wife looked askance). Seriously. Amazing. I love it.

I don't know Ryan Uber but he nailed it. Half the time software/terminal implementations of Solarized are wrong in either absolutes (wrong colors) or spirit (misunderstanding color relationships). The fact that this set  not only has accurate color rendition but also comprehends the spirit of Solarized and implements it in plastic blew me away. Well done Ryan, bunnylake, and anyone else that was involved. Love the large type as well.

I know that I'm late to the show and the buy is done, but I'd love to purchase a set at some point. Is this the best place to post a WTB or should I just pm whomever is listing them for sale in this thread? If none available, should I WTB in the general classifieds forum? This is secondary to my main intent posting here, however, which is just to say "great work."

Seriously, I'm speechless and very happy to see Solarized in keycap form.

-Ethan
Ethan Schoonover / http://ethanschoonover.com
HHKB / Leopold FC660M + Clueboard PCB / Nullbits Tidbit / Various custom boards

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #906 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 20:26:05 »
I'm the designer of the Solarized colorscheme (http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized) and an occasional GH lurker (mechanical user/fan) and my jaw hit the floor when I came across these in a recent keycap search (randomly searching for DSAs, new keyboards, etc... I seriously hollered out loud and my wife looked askance). Seriously. Amazing. I love it.

I don't know Ryan Uber but he nailed it. Half the time software/terminal implementations of Solarized are wrong in either absolutes (wrong colors) or spirit (misunderstanding color relationships). The fact that this set  not only has accurate color rendition but also comprehends the spirit of Solarized and implements it in plastic blew me away. Well done Ryan, bunnylake, and anyone else that was involved. Love the large type as well.

I know that I'm late to the show and the buy is done, but I'd love to purchase a set at some point. Is this the best place to post a WTB or should I just pm whomever is listing them for sale in this thread? If none available, should I WTB in the general classifieds forum? This is secondary to my main intent posting here, however, which is just to say "great work."

-Ethan

Good sir, cheers to you for coming up with an awesome theme such as this! It takes a lot to get me spending over $100 on keycaps, and is probably the first time I've done so for Cherry MX. Absolutely beautiful! We're all looking forward to grabbing our sets with great anticipation!

Regarding the acquisition, I would PM BunnyLake about this and I'm sure he'll work something out for you, but I do not speak for him :P Otherwise, reaching the required post count will allow you to post a WTB in the classifieds.

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #907 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 20:36:15 »
Good sir, cheers to you for coming up with an awesome theme such as this! It takes a lot to get me spending over $100 on keycaps, and is probably the first time I've done so for Cherry MX. Absolutely beautiful! We're all looking forward to grabbing our sets with great anticipation!

Regarding the acquisition, I would PM BunnyLake about this and I'm sure he'll work something out for you, but I do not speak for him :P Otherwise, reaching the required post count will allow you to post a WTB in the classifieds.

Thanks, and appreciate the tip. I'll pm as recommended.

Time to stop lurking and start buying more keyboards to get my post count up :)

Cheers -es

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #908 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 21:13:07 »
Ethan, thank you for your work on Solarized! It's a theme I use every day for my work. It's the only theme I can comfortably toggle between light and dark on a regular basis without a significant context switch.

I'll make sure that BunnyLake sees your note, and I'm confident that he'll be able to hook you up with a set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 May 2014, 21:45:12 by riotonthebay »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #909 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 21:42:24 »
Ethan, thank you for your work on Solarized! It's a theme I use every day for my work. It's the only theme I can comfortable toggle between light and dark on a regular basis without a significant context switch.

I'll make sure that BunnyLake sees your note, and I'm confident that he'll be able to hook you up with a set.

+1

I use a Solarized theme in Eclipse and ADT and it makes long coding sessions so much easier on the eyes.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #910 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 21:59:41 »

-Ethan

Love your work dude.  I work in solarized dark all day every day.  Its a thing of beauty.  Awesome to see you on here too. 

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #911 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 22:23:23 »
Welcome Ethan. Great to see you here. Solarized is amazing! Great work.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #912 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 22:34:21 »

Solarized will be one of the most decent colour-ways created and sold here on Geekhack.  I'm sure Ethan that BunnyLake, will take care of you with regards of acquiring this ultra beautiful key-set and remember it's not how many keyboards you collect it's how you decorate them with the right key-set that counts  :thumb: .

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #913 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 22:38:00 »

-Ethan

This is so cool to see you posting here and being a mechanical keyboard fan!!  Your theme is very beautiful, and it's only fitting that it was finally applied to keycaps.  Welcome to geekhack :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #914 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 00:01:28 »
Back from putting the kids in bed, just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and welcome from everyone:

Ethan, thank you for your work on Solarized!...

Nice to know that the GH community uses Solarized. It was a work of many months and a real obsession with detail, which I think the GH community as a whole can relate to more than most... I suppose this is as much a part of my tribe as any (obsessive aesthetic perfectionists)...

...remember it's not how many keyboards you collect it's how you decorate them with the right key-set that counts  :thumb: .

That's good to hear! But I'm still not returning the two new keyboards I just ordered today :) Going to try some MX Clears to see if I like them, and some blacks for comparison since I've never used linear before.

Thanks!

I use a Solarized theme in Eclipse and ADT and it makes long coding sessions so much easier on the eyes.

Love your work dude.  I work in solarized dark all day every day.  Its a thing of beauty.  Awesome to see you on here too. 

Excellent to hear, thanks both of you.

This is so cool to see you posting here and being a mechanical keyboard fan!!  Your theme is very beautiful, and it's only fitting that it was finally applied to keycaps.  Welcome to geekhack :)

Yeah, I'm a pretty obsessive mechanical keyboard fan. I'd be building some DIY if I had more time (and even *without* free time I'm still considering a build). Looking forward to catching up on my GH reading. Seems like a lot is going on that I've missed recently. I can't believe the number of drop in custom controllers available now, for example, let alone the keycaps that have proliferated. All amazing.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #915 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 02:04:25 »
Pretty much the ultimate endorsement for this set. I'm another Solarized user in Sublime Text 2.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #916 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:02:41 »
I discovered solarized by way of this group buy.  Once I can figure out how to get putty solarized I'll be happier at work since I work in SSH windows more than anything else currently.  Thank you Ethan and welcome to GH :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #917 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:38:08 »

How did I miss this devious post?! But then again, I'd rather you stop by when I'm home ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #918 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:02:51 »

How did I miss this devious post?! But then again, I'd rather you stop by when I'm home ;)  ;)  ;)

Oh, you...  ;) 
How I wish I could make a day trip to FL...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #919 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:17:19 »

Oh, you...  ;) 
How I wish I could make a day trip to FL...

FL is hell from now till September. Ugh. I wish I was somewhere dry.

On another note, BunnyKing is king. Ze bestest!

Offline pheneto

• LOVE TKL, CP
« Reply #920 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:44:13 »
yes yes yes.  i just waiting~ :p
TX84SE, TX84, TX1800V2, TXCP, LZ-IRON, UNICORN LEGEND, LIGHTSAVER3

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #921 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 00:16:00 »

-Ethan

Awesome stuff man! I didn't start coding until recently, but I feel in love with the solarized palette because of this group buy, and the instant I started coding in sublime, I flicked the theme to solarized light. I really can't wait till these keys arrive!

Offline ThockKnock

« Reply #922 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 03:38:53 »
Binge is selling the Ergodox kit, these seem to be the base color alphas.

https://bingecap.com/product/penumbrasolarized-ergodox-complete-keyset/

Almost starting to regret not taking t!ngs order. Anyone else selling? ;)

How is Sublime's implementation of Solarized btw? I usually prefer Paraiso in that editor as Solarized seems to turn out very dark, at least when working with Python.

Offline ShriekBob

« Reply #923 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 03:49:01 »
That is beautiful, I can't wait to get my Dox, and get them on it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #924 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:02:25 »
That is beautiful, I can't wait to get my Dox, and get them on it.

Have to agree every time I see those colours it really is one of the best colour-ways made thus far  :thumb: .  Don't have an Ergodox but looking forward to receiving them for my TKLs.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #925 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:31:32 »
I have a CM XT and a Dox waiting to be assembled.  Both will be dressed in Penumbra SA goodness once I get my caps....and build the Dox lol.

Offline rao2100

« Reply #926 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:36:30 »
I didnt get the Alternative Alphas, are there any for sale?

| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #927 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 09:54:46 »
So excited to get my first set of SA profile!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #928 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 10:22:46 »
So excited to get my first set of SA profile!

im excited for this to get out there now, all the orders have been split by the various people shipping them, because we are a bit behind the orders without cables will be going out first whilst the cables are being finished

and ive been told these are about to start moving
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline jefferai

« Reply #929 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:09:01 »

Thanks so much for Solarized! Like many here, I use it daily and it my eyes are much happier for it. If you haven't seen it, check out what was done with the ErgoDox set...ED users tend to remap things so we (meaning ErgoDox users like myself) needed something generic from the GB. I don't remember who came up with the final design for the modifier keys but when they proposed it it was immediately obvious that that was the way to go...I think you'll like it.

and ive been told these are about to start moving

Brilliant!

Offline jefferai

« Reply #930 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:13:15 »
That's good to hear! But I'm still not returning the two new keyboards I just ordered today :) Going to try some MX Clears to see if I like them, and some blacks for comparison since I've never used linear before.

I can heartily recommend Ergo Clears. I really love them. Once I got used to them I basically never bottom out, and the feel is fantastic. If you do tend to bottom out, though, they will make you pay for it. And you have to be sure to get lube and a stiff enough spring so they don't stick.

Yeah, I'm a pretty obsessive mechanical keyboard fan. I'd be building some DIY if I had more time (and even *without* free time I'm still considering a build). Looking forward to catching up on my GH reading. Seems like a lot is going on that I've missed recently. I can't believe the number of drop in custom controllers available now, for example, let alone the keycaps that have proliferated. All amazing.

Just did an ErgoDox myself recently, and it was awesome. My first DIY project of that magnitude, and the feeling of typing on something you built from component parts is like nothing else. Feel free to ping me if you are thinking about an ED and want or need any help/tips/pointers.

Offline fog

• actual synthetic
    • Solarized
« Reply #931 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:53:38 »
Thanks so much for Solarized! Like many here, I use it daily and it my eyes are much happier for it. If you haven't seen it, check out what was done with the ErgoDox set...ED users tend to remap things so we (meaning ErgoDox users like myself) needed something generic from the GB. I don't remember who came up with the final design for the modifier keys but when they proposed it it was immediately obvious that that was the way to go...I think you'll like it.

I saw those yesterday and thought the color values were a clever option. I tend to use blanks or at least blank modifiers for the same reason (heavy remapping). I usually find pictures on keycaps too twee (not all but most) so this seems like a great non-specific-text solution that retains the visual interest and rhythm that a purely blank keycap lacks.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #932 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:58:43 »
The MOST exciting time is when I get back to my crap-town and the mrs has my boxes out on display in the living room, it's like a damn Christmas come early  :p .

Just would like to see Bunny's Penumbra because there are a few keyboards that would look superb with these on.  The biggest wait makes getting these so more valued and precious, thanks Bunny for making this happen  :thumb: .

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #933 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 01:26:41 »
Anyone still letting go their set?

Or are there extras available?

Really keen on this one.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #934 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 01:53:43 »

Again the only way you'll get mine is if you dig up my coffin in 50 years and prise away these key-sets from my dead lifeless hands  :thumb: .

These will always be in my collection above all else until I die, then they will be buried with me.  This goes to show how much I love these Penumbras  8) .

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #935 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:57:41 »

Really keen on this one.

Once everyone receives theirs, you'll probably find a couple in the classifieds. Not everyone is going to love the SA profile like Elrick does.  :cool:

Bunny might have a few extras as well once they've all shipped.

Offline xqz

« Reply #936 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:05:47 »

Again the only way you'll get mine is if you dig up my coffin in 50 years and prise away these key-sets from my dead lifeless hands  :thumb: .

These will always be in my collection above all else until I die, then they will be buried with me.  This goes to show how much I love these Penumbras  8) .

Only think I am concerned about in the long run is whether the keys will shine since they are ABS. Will it be a problem?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #937 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:23:20 »

Only think I am concerned about in the long run is whether the keys will shine since they are ABS. Will it be a problem?

ABS keys always shine, but as they are doubleshots the legends will never fade.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #938 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:24:23 »

Really keen on this one.

we have lots of extras, they will be on the site soon

or binge has ergodox sets for sale still i believe

Offline GSimon

« Reply #939 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:50:46 »

Really keen on this one.

That's great! I'll have to keep watch.

Also Bunny I have an open ticket on Ctrlalt.io from two months ago regarding a shipping refund. Is there any updates or are there still delays due to Paypal issues? thanks!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #940 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:02:58 »
Seeing those photos on Binge's web site makes me want to buy an Ergodox just so I can buy a full Ergodox set.

Can't believe how excited I am by this key cap set.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #941 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:03:10 »

Really keen on this one.

That's great! I'll have to keep watch.

Also Bunny I have an open ticket on Ctrlalt.io from two months ago regarding a shipping refund. Is there any updates or are there still delays due to Paypal issues? thanks!

paypal issues are fixed

ive caught up on a ton of tickets but working through the older ones still

Offline jefferai

« Reply #942 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 15:57:30 »
Seeing those photos on Binge's web site makes me want to buy an Ergodox just so I can buy a full Ergodox set.

Can't believe how excited I am by this key cap set.

Show Image

You don't need an ED to buy the set. Flip your order of operations :-)

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #943 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 16:01:29 »
This buy is part of the reason I now have an Ergodox kit.  I just need to assemble it :D

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #944 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:19:40 »

Really keen on this one.

OMG I told myself I would stop spending money on keyboards but please.  This set looks amazing.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #945 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:27:39 »

Really keen on this one.

Thanks for the plug Bunny!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Hazel

« Reply #946 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:04:20 »
Got my Ergodox set today, courtesy of Binge!

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #947 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:18:39 »

color looks amazing, really excited for my set :eek:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #948 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 01:07:40 »

color looks amazing, really excited for my set :eek:

This this this!!! I can't wait to pimp mine like that!

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #949 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 01:13:13 »
So excited to get my set now.