Author Topic: Happy election day everyone!!!  (Read 4058 times)

Offline wellington1869

Happy election day everyone!!!
« on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 07:00:40 »
I just want to take this moment to say I love America and on days like this, especially so. :D Yay for Democracy!  

Dont forget Ben and Jerry's is offering free scoops this evening for anyone who voted (starting at 5pm). And Starbucks is giving away free coffee for anyone who voted. :D

We get to choose our keyboards AND our president. What a country!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 07:16:50 »
I need to make my way to a Starbucks, then.  I love early voting.  Today is going to be a nightmare.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 07:24:16 »
I woke up at 6 am to try to beat the crowd; got there at 6:30 and still had a 45 minute wait ;)  But it was kind of fun. I suppose I wouldnt be happy with an 8 hour wait tho ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 07:26:56 »
Some trivia courtesy of CNN:

Why do we vote on a Tuesday... in November?

The short answer: We used to be a nation of farmers.  

The long answer: Congress chose November because the harvest was over and the weather wouldn't be bad enough to prevent people from traveling.

As for Tuesday, people used to have to travel overnight to their polling location. (In 1845, horse was the preferred method of transport.) In an effort to avoid religious days of rest, Congress chose Tuesday, leaving Monday and Wednesday as travel days. Tuesday was voting (and horse-resting) day.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 14:52:15 »
heh typical, old carryover.  Eh whatever works you know.  I voted around 11am today, was pretty painless overall.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 16:33:29 »
I'm pretty sure I witnessed about 8 counts of voter fraud in the 20 minutes I spent at our polling location.  (Wisconsin, the voter fraud capital of America!!)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 16:35:16 »
Hopefully, there was no tampering with ballots....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 16:43:29 »
There have been reports of the iVoterCrap machines here in San Antonio selection flipping (e.g. press Obama and the machine selects McCain).  I didn't have any issues during early voting.  I voted a straight party ticket, then verified all of the selections.

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 20:30:17 »
"the biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter"

- Winston Churchill
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 November 2008, 21:16:37 »
I voted for a write-in candidate (Frank McEnulty) for president, no vote on most other positions, and then the issues, verified in the verification screen, then again in the printout. It didn't flip my votes, like one of the damned Diebold machines did to me in 2006...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 00:27:52 »
I'm happy Obama won. I think he'll be a great president. I might even listen to him speak (haven't done that in about eight years ...).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 00:50:05 »
Quote from: xsphat;10280
I'm happy Obama won. I think he'll be a great president. I might even listen to him speak (haven't done that in about eight years ...).

You listened to Obama speak 8 years ago?  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 01:07:21 »
I deserved that. Boy, nothing around here ever changes.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 01:09:12 »
What an incredible evening in America.

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 01:45:46 »
Really.  No matter who you voted for, what just happened is pretty amazing.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 03:13:46 »
Quote from: lexicon;10284
Really. No matter who you voted for, what just happened is pretty amazing.

absolutely right, my feelings exactly. Its just incredible and profound and the world is reeling and it will take a while for the magnitude of it (as tom brokaw put it) to sink in. Just wonderful, makes me so proud to be an american today, that as a nation we still have the capacity to shake up the world (and ourselves) this way, the kind of capacity our founders envisioned. Just wonderful, wonderful. :)

[Also wonderful is my new smk-88 keyboard with black cherries! Will write up a review of that shortly... ;) ]

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 November 2008, 12:32:44 »
Are there any black people on this forum? I know we have lots of whites and Asians, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 November 2008, 10:15:43 »
Here's something to mull over that a lot of people are missing, I think.  It may be a very minor point, but it's been so long since a President has been elected when their primary justification for the job has only been their congressional experience.  A lot of Senators have run for President, but I can't name the last active Senator who was elected President.

Bush 2 was governor of Texas, but never in Congress.
Clinton was governor of Arkansas, never in Congress.
Bush 1 was governor of Texas, but never in Congress.  Also Reagan's VP.
Reagan was governor of California, never in Congress.
Carter was governor of Georgia, never in Congress.

(anyone see a pattern here?)

Ford was the last President we've had who served in Congress, and he was only appointed V.P. prior to Nixon's resignation to fill a seat until the next election because there was no WAY he was going to be elected because he was appointed by Nixon.

Nixon was in Congress, but his major claim was as VP under Eisenhower.  Nixon was also responsible for expanding the office of VP.

Johnson was in Congress, but was Kennedy's VP when Kennedy was assassinated, and  assumed the Presidency.  Then he was elected as the incumbent, I assume in part on Kennedy's popularity.

Kennedy played the war hero card, he also played the "check out this smile" card and the "my family can buy me this election" card.

Eisenhower was our last GREAT war hero President.  5-star General, President of Columbia University, and the first Supreme Commander of NATO.  I don't think he served in Congress.

I could go farther back but I don't know when a President was ever elected in the U.S. when his first and only experience in the national theater was as a member of Congress.  And Obama is just a couple years into his first term.

I didn't vote for him, but I am curious and excited to see what the next 4 years will bring under President-elect Obama.  My suspicion is, "No where near what was promised" since that seems to be true of everyone who takes office.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 November 2008, 10:38:06 »
"No where near what was promised"

funny thing is, even that would be light years better than the last eight years. ;)