Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 647506 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:40:25 »
Those little Fords are supposed to be a blast. The guys on the /Drive channel on YouTube love them. Replacing the stock wheels and doing a slight drop is the best route to go at first. Just research the hell out of it so you get the best width/offset and what the best springs would be with stock struts. It took me a month to pick out my wheels, and I'm regretting the springs, doing Ohlins second week of May.

I was just checking the /drive channel out for the first time.  The Focus RS is sick af.  :eek:

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:49:27 »
It is and its just simple bolt-ons. Very capable car. If I had one I'd do a tune plus a couple bolt ons (nothing loud) and go all out on suspension/wheels/tires and whatever else you can get like roll center kits, positive steering response kits, anti-lift, various bushings. Being careful not to install anything that would increase NVH (Noise, vibration, harshness).

The /Drive, /Tuned, and Chris Harris on Cars are such GD good content, its my go-to when I'm eating lunch or doing some cardio, or just killing time.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 20:35:18 »
Stole a couple of pallets from one of the places on my industrial estate. All I need is varnish for the wood and black paint for the aluminium rack and I'm sorted.

This month to buy:

Etch Primer. Good deal with black spray found on ebay  :thumb:

Tires for my summer wheels only 3 months after I bought the rims...

Edit: Welcome back demik. We missed you. :)  :-*

thanks

Those little Fords are supposed to be a blast. The guys on the /Drive channel on YouTube love them. Replacing the stock wheels and doing a slight drop is the best route to go at first. Just research the hell out of it so you get the best width/offset and what the best springs would be with stock struts. It took me a month to pick out my wheels, and I'm regretting the springs, doing Ohlins second week of May.

I was just checking the /drive channel out for the first time.  The Focus RS is sick af.  :eek:

check out the smoking tire also. great channels.

and dare i say.. the focus RS looks much more appealing than the sti.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 21:01:13 »
Changed up my wheels a bit (they were gold).  Picked up a new display case for my models and other stuff yesterday.  It will probably end up with some keyboards in there once I thin out the models  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! Nice Honda man! The wheels are sick. You on coilovers? I just put some Progress coilovers on my EM2 Civic.  :thumb:
Thanks.  Yeah, I am on Tanabe Sustec Pros.  Front is all the way down, but the rear is up a couple cm so that i can load the car up and not worry about it.  Pics of the Civic?

Here you go bro!

Lowered 1.8" in rear and 1.4" in front. Camber kit in rear and front to fix alignment. Just did the front today, rides WAY better now.

Show Image

Show Image

Here is one I took a couple weeks ago before I removed the stock pinstripes. :P
This was about 2.1" rear and 1.5" front lowered at the time..

Show Image

:cool:

Looks nice and clean.  All it needs is some wheels and call it good  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 04:49:15 »
Changed up my wheels a bit (they were gold).  Picked up a new display case for my models and other stuff yesterday.  It will probably end up with some keyboards in there once I thin out the models  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! Nice Honda man! The wheels are sick. You on coilovers? I just put some Progress coilovers on my EM2 Civic.  :thumb:
Thanks.  Yeah, I am on Tanabe Sustec Pros.  Front is all the way down, but the rear is up a couple cm so that i can load the car up and not worry about it.  Pics of the Civic?

Here you go bro!

Lowered 1.8" in rear and 1.4" in front. Camber kit in rear and front to fix alignment. Just did the front today, rides WAY better now.

Show Image

Show Image

Here is one I took a couple weeks ago before I removed the stock pinstripes. :P

Show Image

Thanks man! I agree. Maybe 50-40% tint since the cars black.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:16:44 »

(Attachment Link)

Here you go bro!

Show Image

Show Image

Here is one I took a couple weeks ago before I removed the stock pinstripes.

Show Image

I am not a fan of tint unless its factory but can see the appeal, especially on a ablack car.  I prefer the fish bowl look .
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #406 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:13:57 »
I've started thinking...

List what you guys think are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Example: 135i N54 and 335i. Also the new M235i with the N55 has a forged bottom end.

Funny thing is I said earlier in this thread about getting a new car and the 335i was on the list. However I have been thinking about a 135i Coupe over the last week or so. Just need to find one to go and drive! They are a rare sight over here, I think they look quite muscular and as you say a bit of a sleeper, I think I have come down to that or a Cayman S from about 2007.

When you love cars it is so hard picking just one!
I wouldn't be able to pick just one. If I had the money, I'd have 5 cars for weekends. And 1 for a daily.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #407 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 01:43:54 »
Wetsanded and polished the rear wheels, got tires on and balanced.  Did a good cleaning of the front wheels and got them all on the car finally.  As fun as it was to kick out the rear with 205 wide winter rubber, it'll be great to have traction again with the 245's.

And yes, it needs more low.  I have springs for it, but no money for shocks for a couple months.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #408 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 10:25:54 »
Wetsanded and polished the rear wheels, got tires on and balanced.  Did a good cleaning of the front wheels and got them all on the car finally.  As fun as it was to kick out the rear with 205 wide winter rubber, it'll be great to have traction again with the 245's.

Show Image

And yes, it needs more low.  I have springs for it, but no money for shocks for a couple months.

Nice ride man!  I used to be huge into bimmers..

(Attachment Link)

Here you go bro!

Show Image

Show Image

Here is one I took a couple weeks ago before I removed the stock pinstripes.

Show Image

I am not a fan of tint unless its factory but can see the appeal, especially on a ablack car.  I prefer the fish bowl look .

Yeah Im not into it anymore either. Hence why Id go 50% or keep it stock. :) Im debating what wheels to get next year.. Probably try to find stock SI wheels or Acura. I dont like non OEM much anymore. :)

Offline tufty

« Reply #409 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 11:21:44 »
And yes, it needs more low.
This'll make it lower for ya

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #410 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 17:48:51 »
Well yesterday the wife pulled the trigger on a new TDI wagon.

Here is her 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with just under 20k miles, I really liked that one.

County Dump truck ran a red light, she walked away with a fractured collarbone. Tell you what getting a call from a stranger from your wife's phone saying she has just been in an accident is something out of a nightmare.  I got to the scene before the ambulance took her. Gets me choked up just thinking about it.

Anyhow, it was replaced with a GTI. But having two impractical vehicles wasn’t working and the GTI was a douche magnet.  It was a neat little car, but garbage for MPG and she started to not like it after the honeymoon period, especially after occasionally driving my car (Evo X). I got my car after she got that, I had a TL-S when she got the GTI.

Picked up a Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL from Annapolis yesterday (4-25-15), they gave us an awesome deal on the trade in and got the wagon for Edmonds TMV Invoice with no destination fee (HIDs were the only option).  Second one that dealer has sold, they just came out. Those TDI 2.0 pull nicely, so much torque.

Weathertechs front/middle/rear and no drill US Mill Works plate mount ordered, tint sometime next week schedule depending.

When it'll get more low and wider wheels, dunno, lol, that’s an extra $2500 of disposable income I just don’t have.

I asked the dealer to not wash it, they looked at me weird and asked three more times.
After learning how to detail properly I do everything I can to keep our cars swirl free.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #411 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 15:05:10 »
Well yesterday the wife pulled the trigger on a new TDI wagon.

Here is her 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with just under 20k miles, I really liked that one.

Show Image

County Dump truck ran a red light, she walked away with a fractured collarbone. Tell you what getting a call from a stranger from your wife's phone saying she has just been in an accident is something out of a nightmare.  I got to the scene before the ambulance took her. Gets me choked up just thinking about it.

Anyhow, it was replaced with a GTI. But having two impractical vehicles wasn’t working and the GTI was a douche magnet.  It was a neat little car, but garbage for MPG and she started to not like it after the honeymoon period, especially after occasionally driving my car (Evo X). I got my car after she got that, I had a TL-S when she got the GTI.

Show Image

Picked up a Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL from Annapolis yesterday (4-25-15), they gave us an awesome deal on the trade in and got the wagon for Edmonds TMV Invoice with no destination fee (HIDs were the only option).  Second one that dealer has sold, they just came out. Those TDI 2.0 pull nicely, so much torque.

Weathertechs front/middle/rear and no drill US Mill Works plate mount ordered, tint sometime next week schedule depending.

When it'll get more low and wider wheels, dunno, lol, that’s an extra $2500 of disposable income I just don’t have.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I asked the dealer to not wash it, they looked at me weird and asked three more times.
After learning how to detail properly I do everything I can to keep our cars swirl free.

I looks really nice. I really like the look of the Mk7. And dealer guys aren't detailers. They want as many cars done in as quick as possible. Some of them still use brushes and ****, there's no point if you have an eye for detailing yourself.

Today I bought some stuff to start the roof rack project.

Some black bolts which are a bit shorter to actually attach the clamps on, some 40mm coach bolts for attaching the wood to the metal (had to get skinny ones as the bars are only 15mmx15mm) some varnish and some sandpaper. Didn't know how fine to get it down to, but I bought like 8 sheets so hopefully I have enough to do it all.

Next issues are how to dismantle the pallets without damaging the slats, and how to drill holes in everything with no drill... At least the gf will be happy with the rack off the car for a week or two.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 07:40:05 »
I drive a 1998 Plymouth Breeze that my grandfather willed me when he died nine years.  I would like it to make 20 years, but it's getting a little rusty these days.  I probably shouldn't even drive it, for safety's sake.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 08:08:37 »
I drive a 1998 Plymouth Breeze that my grandfather willed me when he died nine years.  I would like it to make 20 years, but it's getting a little rusty these days.  I probably shouldn't even drive it, for safety's sake.

Do you not have like a certificate of safety that cars have to pass?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #414 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 08:24:21 »
and im looking at getting a front lip and lowering the car a bit more.

why?

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 09:44:50 »
I picked up my new (to me) BMW 135i Coupé with a bunch of BMW Performance bits and bobs on it like exhaust and spoiler. The most interesting bits however are the Quaife LSD and the approx ~400bhp map on the engine :D

I can confirm it is very quick to break the speed limit and I genuinely think the only "safe" way of driving on the motorway (for the sake of my licence anyway) is to use cruise control!

It feels so much more refined than my 350Z.

Couple of terrible photos:

Bonus; got to hoon this thing around Silverstone for the weekend! Sadly Aston Martin wanted it back Sunday after the 24hr race  :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 09:53:41 »

why?

Like the look of the lip and low cars

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 09:59:42 »

why?

fair enough

hella jelly Freebird, that safety car looks epic fun

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #418 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:01:10 »

why?

Don't you have Speed bumps in america? I know people that have lost front lips on this kind of crazy **** we got here :
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:02:51 »
I love those BMW 135i  :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #420 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:06:26 »

why?

Don't you have Speed bumps in america? I know people that have lost front lips on this kind of crazy **** we got here :
Show Image

Yes we do. And we have lovely potholes. I'm not looking to slam the car, but as of now I feel the car is a bit too high.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:12:25 »

why?

Show Image

Yes we do. And we have lovely potholes. I'm not looking to slam the car, but as of now I feel the car is a bit too high.

Could that be just down to the seating position, from what I've had a go in and what not the fiesta and focus have a higher seating position than most 'hot hatches' though in the long term wouldn't you be better off with a better/racier suspension (assuming that's not what you meant by lowering it)?
When I had my old 2ltr focus, it was rapid but the suspension was so soft...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #422 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:21:58 »
Better suspension is what I mean by lowering. Little broke right now for coil overs so lowering springs it is.  And yeah I noticed the fiesta has a pretty high seating position.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:24:09 »
Better suspension is what I mean by lowering. Little broke right now for coil overs so lowering springs it is.  And yeah I noticed the fiesta has a pretty high seating position.

fair play, how you enjoying it? I'm hella jelly the ST models are rapid as ****

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #424 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:34:02 »
So far I'm loving it. It's great on gas, it's pretty damn quick and it goes unnoticed by cops. Can't ask for more! Although I did have a civic try to race me and I have a feeling that's going to get me in trouble.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:36:21 »
So far I'm loving it. It's great on gas, it's pretty damn quick and it goes unnoticed by cops. Can't ask for more! Although I did have a civic try to race me and I have a feeling that's going to get me in trouble.

haha when i had my old focus i would get chavs trying to race me, was epic... my old focus was un-labled but was a 2ltr... ****ing raped ****...

personally i would have the ST badges removed to limit that and then have a laugh when you can kane some kid

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:38:44 »
I'm going to remove the fiesta badge. Honestly so very few people now about the ST that everybody just sees it as a fiesta. I had a guy laugh when I tried to over take him. ***** wasn't laughing when he was far behind.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:41:14 »
I'm going to remove the fiesta badge. Honestly so very few people now about the ST that everybody just sees it as a fiesta. I had a guy laugh when I tried to over take him. ***** wasn't laughing when he was far behind.

HAHAHA if anything that'd make me keep it on !

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:51:55 »
But yeah, pretty happy with my choice.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:46:14 »
Hell yeah dude, gotta go low. I'm very happy I put Coilovers in my civic. Looks perfect now. Springs are fine if you don't want to raise it for winter. I'll be raising mine. I have lifetime alignment as well for mine.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 16:49:05 »
So pallets are made of stronger stuff than I thought...

I didn't take a lot of photos, but from this photo you can see the supporting wood didn't move after a few good whacks.

Looks like a skinny screw, but it is in fact a very ribbed nail. Because the pallet was so new, the nails would sooner stay in the supporting wood rather than come out with the slats, if you know what I mean...

I ended up getting a massive saw to try and relieve some of the strength to see if it was easier...

It wasn't. I'm giving up and buying some proper wood.

Tomorrow however, is car cleaning day. Good rinse down, good shampoo, clay bar the bonnet provided it's not too sunny (it's never been clayed, so I'm going a panel at a time), clean out the inside, focus a lot on the glass, and maybe add a couple more stickers :P

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 17:07:58 »
Nice.
Claying isn't bad, just make sure you are in the shade and don't drop the clay! Hah

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:47:51 »
Speaking of de-badging and being inconspicuous I am tempted to get a 116i badge for the back of my car.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 15:49:49 »

They are meant to carry thousands of pounds of material, while taking a lot of abuse.  :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 15:56:40 »
Hooooof.

I dunno if I want a gti or a tdi that I then bolt go fast parts to.  Watdo.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 15:59:26 »
Hooooof.

Easy!  Get an Outback.  :))

No Focus ST anymore?  I'm still a fan of the TDI; how many options are there for go fast parts?  O.o  I never really looked into that with the TDI.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #436 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:00:12 »

They are meant to carry thousands of pounds of material, while taking a lot of abuse.  :P

Depends on the pallet.  The blue ones (at least in California) have to meet a DOT standard.  Others widely vary in quality and capacity.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #437 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:01:40 »

Depends on the pallet.  The blue ones (at least in California) have to meet a DOT standard.  Others widely vary in quality and capacity.

Ahh, very good point.  I'm more used to "industrial" (still doesn't say much about size/durablity though) pallets, which I would not expect to come apart easily when they're in good shape.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:36:22 »
Hooooof.

Easy!  Get an Outback.  :))

No Focus ST anymore?  I'm still a fan of the TDI; how many options are there for go fast parts?  O.o  I never really looked into that with the TDI.

Yeah, I'm back to the golf/gti love full time.  There's a decent amount of stuff in a cursory glance.  The tdi and gti also have similar suspension from what I can find, too.  But dunno if my driving patterns justify going diesel.  But that 40+ mpg is a siren song, mang.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #439 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:43:02 »
There is supposed to be a ton of tuning potential for the TDI motors.  A friend of mine owns a body shop and took his golf TDI and basically turned it into a GTDI, with some bits from a GTI and a APR tune, plus some suspension stuff, and that little thing is a monster, plus still gets nutty MPG. If I was going to build a "hot hatch" front wheel drive, that would be the way to go.

The APR tunes are what most people go with. Not even sure what the decent alternatives are.
https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:49:40 by Psybin »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:09:44 »
There is supposed to be a ton of tuning potential for the TDI motors.  A friend of mine owns a body shop and took his golf TDI and basically turned it into a GTDI, with some bits from a GTI and a APR tune, plus some suspension stuff, and that little thing is a monster, plus still gets nutty MPG. If I was going to build a "hot hatch" front wheel drive, that would be the way to go.

The APR tunes are what most people go with. Not even sure what the decent alternatives are.
https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tdi.html

Oh man, I didn't see the apr tune for some reason.  Yeah, I'm sold.  Also, I should mention I'm lazy and will get the DSG in whichever I get.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #441 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:13:11 »
Also, I should mention I'm lazy and will get the DSG in whichever I get.

Still fun to drive, even in a regular TDI.  Not quite as fun as something more sporty I'm sure, but it's not bad.

Also, interesting to hear about the TDI tuning.  Makes me wish I fit in VW's cars better...  :(

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:18:30 »
The direct shift gearbox DSG is pretty sweet as far as automatics go. It almost feels like you have one gear if you are driving it easy. The up and downshift is unreal its so fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

Not to be confused with the Continuously variable transmission CVT, ick.

Unless you have some nutty traffic, I would go for a manual, it'll probably be your last chance if you keep your car 10 years, once electrics dominate the market with their single gears, rowing your own will be a thing of the past.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #443 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:23:28 »
The direct shift gearbox DSG is pretty sweet as far as automatics go. It almost feels like you have one gear if you are driving it easy. The up and downshift is unreal its so fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

Unless you have some nutty traffic, I would go for a manual, it'll probably be your last chance if you keep your car 10 years, once electrics dominate the market with their single gears, rowing your own will be a thing of the past.

I just really like the idea of a well done dsg and I don't drive in such a manner that makes me want/miss a manual anymore.  Plus I have a 300zxtt for gear shifting fun.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:25:25 »

Everyone always knocks the CVT.  Why?  I don't mind driving it at all.  Is it a reliability thing or a driving enjoyment thing?

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #445 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:31:14 »
I think its a reliability issue. For regular driving its probably ok. For modding or aggressive driving, I've heard not. I've never owned one though, so /shrug.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #446 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:34:59 »
I think its a reliability issue. For regular driving its probably ok. For modding or aggressive driving, I've heard not. I've never owned one though, so /shrug.

Oh.  I wonder how much of it is that whole "so and so said it's bad" and it gets retold so many times... Hmm.

At any rate, I'm not too worried.  My car isn't for driving hard, so I'm not too concerned.  :P

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #447 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:51:08 »
DSG? Reliability? Pffft.  Mechatronics units (trans controller and valve body in one) are over $1000 just in parts (closer to $2000cdn), and it's rare to have one NOT fail.

TDI's are heavier on maintenance than gassers, and you really have to be cruising on the highway to get good mileage.  Salespeople don't share that info when they're trying to upsell someone who just wants a daily in-town car.  So many expensive parts fail, usually right after warranty is up.

Hint: I'm an independent VW specialist mechanic...
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 17:55:45 »
Ah that's a bummer. What causes the DSGs to fail?

I haven't looked at the maintenance schedule on the TDI vs the TSI or other variants, does it just require more stuff?

Any pro-tips to make them last longer? Sooner fluid changes, etc? I'll be doing all the (within reason) maintenance on the wife's and I hope to get a good many years out of that wagon.

Oh and first oil change at 10k? Should I do it sooner? I was thinking 5k. The Evolution I did it at 2k, and have done every 3k on the dot. Probably overkill but even the dash says 3100 max.

And what oil do you recommend?

And thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 18:07:53 by Psybin »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #449 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 18:09:23 »
Hooooof.

you sum*****.

we were suppose to be ST bros. and now you want a fascist vehicle? FOR SHAME

even though the ST uses UK parts and is assembled in mexico..