Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 646736 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 20:08:43 »
It's an overcast day, but seeing as I rarely park outside, I decided to snap a few photos of my daily driver.

N54 goodness.

Enjoy  :D

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #451 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:38:52 »
Need help fellas.

How the hell do I figure out what wheels my car can fit?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #452 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:50:12 »
Get on the forums and figure out what other people are running and go from there.

You might find a wheel FAQ thread

This is an example of what I used when I decided on the size of my wheels.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10191

Once you know your bolt pattern, decided on your size (probably 18") you need to dial in your offset and width. You'd want to go as wide as possible and get a flush look, not sticking out too much, or sunk in too much (like OEM wheels).

You cant go too wide or you'll rub, or need your fenders rolled. Fender rolling isn't a big deal, $150 or so to have it done professionally.

Take your time, figure it out, talk to other people who are running the same thing. It took me almost a month of off and on research, then I found people who were running the same wheels and sent them PMs on the auto forums and it solidified my decision.

I ended up doing a 18X9.5 with a 27 offset, running 5mm spacers (to clear the brakes) puts it at a 22mm offset. 7mm and over spacers you'll need extended studs, and you'll probably get vibration. 5mm is safe, ideally however find something that doesn't require spacers. Enkie NT03+Ms didn't come in the exact offset I needed so I had to do the spacer route. I regret nothing! Flushness is the sexy.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:53:59 by Psybin »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #453 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:57:08 »
well I have the basics down. Like lug pattern but what confuses me is the offset. Is the bigger the number the wider they are?

I'm looking at team dynamics pro race 1.2 but want it as flush as possible. A similar look to this

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #454 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:00:50 »
From the link I posted

-A positive offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's front side, giving the spokes a flat or convex appearance. The stock Enkei/BBS wheel on the Evo X is 18x8.5 with an offset of +38.
-A negative offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's back side, giving the spokes a concave appearance.
-A zero offset is where the mounting surface coincides with the wheel's center-line.

Basically the lower the number the more aggressive the offset, the more it will stick out. So a 33 will be more sunk in and a 15 will be more pushed out. It also varies by width. So an ideal fitment for your car offset wise will be a different number for a 9" wide wheel as apposed to a 9.5.

Your best bet is to go through a few wheel threads on the Ford forums and figure out what people are running the most. Or call a vendor like wheeldude.com and ask them what they recommended and what you can get away with without rubbing or excessive rolling. That photo you posted with out a doubt as at least the rear fenders rolled. Like I said its not a big deal if done right, just an extra expense.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #455 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:04:57 »
Thanks! Going to a meet tonight and I'll ask around.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:32:28 »
demik, I'd recommend asking some vendors who have sold wheels for your cars, asking for their recommended offset/sizes, googling some forums to see if there are photos or discussion about it and decide if that's what you want, in terms of looks/how flush/how aggressive, etc.

Good luck!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #457 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:37:47 »
The measurements you need are:

Offset: Typically preceded by "ET" - eg. ET38. This is essentially the distance between the inner most point of your rim and the fixing point.

Fitment(?): Eg. 4x100, 5x140 or whatever. This is the number of bolts and the distance between them. This doesn't have to stay consistent, but bear in mind if you want a different fitment, you need adaptors, which can be EXPENSIVE.

Wheel width: Typically ends with a J. You can find this from your tires from the middle number (55=5.5J=5.5 inch wheel width, 70=7J=7 inch wheel width) You should stick sort of around your stock width, but if you want to go wide (which IMO looks sexy as hell, on old Golf's anyway) you might want to roll the arches out.

That was my understanding anyway. Psybin might completely shoot me down for good reason :P
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #458 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:12:25 »
Nah, you got it right.

Go to wheeldude.com and check out the selection and give them a call, they should be able to help you dial in a size. I've had Rotas before and they are good budget wheels, they sell a ton of them. The tire selection is kind of meh though if you do a package, or was when I was shopping.

You'll also need tuner lugs (the base on OEM lugs do not work for aftermarket wheels). The Muteki SR48 are cool looking opened ended extended lugs nuts (see my avatar) but most tire/wheel packages will include lugs.

Figure out your factory size, for me it was
Stock Wheels: Enkei (GSR)
Wheel Size: 18x8.5 +38 offset, Center Bore 67.1
Tire Size: 245/40R18 Yokohama Advan A13C (MY2008)
Comments: Cast, wheels are 22 lbs; wheel + tire 46.5 lbs

Then lay out what you can fit, with or without modifications, for example my set

Enkei NT03+M
18x9.5 +27
19.9lbs each
265/35-18 Continental DWS 25lb each
45lb total each

The weight matters. Unsprung weight is a killer. Buy heavy wheels and you'll feel it, it sucks. They should be at least your OEM weight, keeping in mind the increased width in tire and wheel. I lost 1.5 lb on each wheel but went up in size nicely.

I could have gone 18X 10 +25 and 275/35-18 but I would have had to have gotten my rear fenders rolled, (+$150ish) and had rubbing at full lock up front. It seemed a bit impractical, although the 10s have a little more of a dish'ier look. I could have done 275s on the 9.5 but went with the 265s instead, at one point the amount of contact patch will start to eat into your MPG and hydroplaning plus snow traction can start to be an issue. Reputedly.

Are you going to re-use your factory tires? Are you going to do a dedicated summer tire set? I live in MD so I went with a "high performance all season tire".  Whatever route you go, do your research and pick a good tire. Tire rack is perfect for researching. In fact I bought my set from TireRack and got a good deal, they couldn’t touch anyone on price per wheel, also price for those DWS. Mounting/balancing is included as well.  Also got the lugs (which I didn’t use) and hubcentric rings for free.

It seems like a simple upgrade, but it really takes a lot of research to see what's the best bang for the buck, then what you like aesthetically. Also if you find a wheel you like google that name and bend, or damage. I almost did the Enkei RFP1 because they are light and have a ton of sizes, but read some complaints about how they bend easy. The NT03+Ms didn't have much out there as far as being bent. Plus they are sexy as ****.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:14:57 by Psybin »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 00:38:08 »
Got home from college today for summer break and was handed the keys to a first gen Toyota Matrix XR. I guess this is technically my first car? It may become the car my brother learns to drive in when he gets his permit in june. I think the main plan is fix some cosmetic issues, take good care of it, then sell it at the end of the summer for a profit. Said money from the sale will be used to buy a better car.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #460 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 02:08:24 »
Went to my first car meet tonight.

Was cool. Then the rich kids came with their m3s making noise and got ticketed.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 02:18:02 »
If you don't know your current wheel specs, you can easily take it off and measure it up to give you a rough guide.

As others said previously, there'll be a standard upgrade size for your vehicle so stick with those.

I've got RPF1's in 18x9.5 + 15 and sits pretty nicely with about neg 2deg camber. Just need to make sure you got brake clearance, doesnt rub and tyre choices not too off the rolling circumference
(265/35/18's sit pretty square on 9.5's - then again depends on the tyres also)

daunting at first, easy once you ask around see what others have done

gl

/edit pic
http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/84208-wheel-sizes-offsets-for-skylines/?p=7471653
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 02:23:25 by okooko »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 03:45:34 »
Ok so a question...

I keep seeing ****ty little cars (and people carriers) which have black matt paint on the front of the bonnet with little scoops attached. This only goes like a few inches up the bonnet and looks awful.
What the hell is it? Is it some kind of replacement for a front wing? Is the idea that the matt paint and the scoops somehow force the nose of the car to the road? I've not actually see any race cars use this stuff as all of them have front wings... but wtf

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 04:35:18 »
Ok so a question...

I keep seeing ****ty little cars (and people carriers) which have black matt paint on the front of the bonnet with little scoops attached. This only goes like a few inches up the bonnet and looks awful.
What the hell is it? Is it some kind of replacement for a front wing? Is the idea that the matt paint and the scoops somehow force the nose of the car to the road? I've not actually see any race cars use this stuff as all of them have front wings... but wtf

It's for the imaginary air ram and TMIC of course.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #464 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 05:12:18 »
Hooooof.

I dunno if I want a gti or a tdi that I then bolt go fast parts to.  Watdo.

Easy!  Get an Outback.  :))

No Focus ST anymore?  I'm still a fan of the TDI; how many options are there for go fast parts?  O.o  I never really looked into that with the TDI.

Yeah, I'm back to the golf/gti love full time.  There's a decent amount of stuff in a cursory glance.  The tdi and gti also have similar suspension from what I can find, too.  But dunno if my driving patterns justify going diesel.  But that 40+ mpg is a siren song, mang.

Nice man! I love GTIs. I've owned a MKII 16V and MKIV 1.8T. Fun little cars.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #465 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 09:22:49 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 09:44:12 »
Show Image

Interesting... Brake cooling going out towards the outside edge of the wheel, but more air going in between the wheel and the main fuselage...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #467 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 09:53:27 »
Show Image

Interesting... Brake cooling going out towards the outside edge of the wheel, but more air going in between the wheel and the main fuselage...

Obviously for Spa a lower down force setup is required, but the change in the whole shape is something I've never seen before, it's pretty amazing.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #468 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:48:34 »
Show Image

Obviously for Spa a lower down force setup is required, but the change in the whole shape is something I've never seen before, it's pretty amazing.

Is changing the front end for every track audi's race plan? Would that even be legal?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #469 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:50:57 »
Show Image

Is changing the front end for every track audi's race plan? Would that even be legal?

yup and probably, but not to this extent.
Le Mans requires even less downforce so I imagine it would be similar to Spa and then somewhere like Brazil would be more similar to the Silverstone set up..

but its not just the front end they change, its the whole aero package for the whole car ;)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #470 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:29:33 »
yup and probably, but not to this extent.
Le Mans requires even less downforce so I imagine it would be similar to Spa and then somewhere like Brazil would be more similar to the Silverstone set up..

but its not just the front end they change, its the whole aero package for the whole car ;)

Oh yeah, you can see the shape difference on the rear arches as well. And no wing mirrors...

I've never properly looked at the Le Mans circuit before... Is there really a McDonalds on one of the chicanes? For whatever reason Le Mans has never drawn me the same way F1 has.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #471 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 03:32:00 »
Good eye, noticing the differences.

I've always been fascinated by Le Mans contenders, especially how the cars look, but likewise, it doesn't draw me in like F1 does.

Speaking of Le Mans, Porsche 917 anyone?
http://www.petrolicious.com/iconic-racing-porsche-is-pure-happiness

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 03:35:06 by Karura »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #472 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 04:58:47 »
Good eye, noticing the differences.

I've always been fascinated by Le Mans contenders, especially how the cars look, but likewise, it doesn't draw me in like F1 does.

Speaking of Le Mans, Porsche 917 anyone?
http://www.petrolicious.com/iconic-racing-porsche-is-pure-happiness

Show Image

That overhead shot showing off the tail is awesome.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #473 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 05:04:48 »
If you can you guys should watch a highlights video of Silverstone. It was epic, Audi, Porsche and Toyota LMP1's solid battle for 3+hours it was epic for about two hours the leaders were separated by less than a second and the lead changed hands nearly every lap.

Spa is in a few hours too! Check out some streams of the start if you can

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #474 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:15:11 »
Brilliant racing so far! Always good to see Audi Vs Porsche for the lead!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #475 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:32:00 »
I've seen two i3s in my town since this morning. I'm jealous.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:37:44 »
Eww srs?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #477 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:39:48 »
There is someone living near to me that has that BMW electric sports car thing, looks kinda awesome

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #478 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:40:09 »
I really want an i8, but the 3 would be fine. I'm a loyal bmw owner. Although a tesla would work for me.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #479 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:40:48 »
i8? Looks okay.

Tesla looks best. But that range is way too low to be practical.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #480 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:53:24 »
There is a bloke who has a Tesla too, though I'm not really a fan...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 12:17:13 »
My boss just sold is 1.5 year old tesla... To buy a 85D tesla. Smh

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 12:23:08 »
Tbh the nicest car I've driven past that was on the road and not just in a show room was a white P1 McLaren. Wasn't a fan of it until I saw it IRL in white. The rear of that thing is a work of art.

Also nice that it wasn't rocking a nasty private plate

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 12:25:24 »
I'm working next to a mclaren dealer.. Not a huge fan of the looks tbh. But then again the Ferrari next to it is out shining it in the looks department imo.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #484 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 12:28:27 »
Which Ferrari? I love the 458 but the La Ferrari just looks ugly imo like a next gen F50

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #485 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:20:25 »
The P1 is a work of art, I've seen it in three colors and each one looked incredible. The LaFerrari is cool and looks beautiful but there are several angles that make it look weird. If I had to choose I'd take the P1 every time.

Also today my dad and I pulled our S2000 out of storage. Let the summer driving fun begin!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:28:06 »
Which Ferrari? I love the 458 but the La Ferrari just looks ugly imo like a next gen F50

I have no idea tbh. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow.

The P1 is a work of art, I've seen it in three colors and each one looked incredible. The LaFerrari is cool and looks beautiful but there are several angles that make it look weird. If I had to choose I'd take the P1 every time.

Also today my dad and I pulled our S2000 out of storage. Let the summer driving fun begin!

Lucky. There is a really nice clean stanced s2k on my street. They rarely use it tho :/

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:32:11 »

Lucky. There is a really nice clean stanced s2k on my street. They rarely use it tho :/

That's a shame, it's a car that should be driven. We put 3-4k miles on it a year.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #488 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:41:55 »
It is. They have a bone stock frs they do use tho.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #489 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 19:44:18 »

#lifegoals even if it is a ford
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #490 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:07:26 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #491 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:10:23 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!
Fitting all the boards in it is going to be interesting...

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #492 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:12:22 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!
Weird to call shotgun in a car with only two seats  :p

But... if I end up going to KeyCon (still a maybe at this point) I volunteer my beat up Camry that reeks of cigarette smoke  ;D
null

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #493 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:12:26 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!
Fitting all the boards in it is going to be interesting...

I'll make CPT schlep all the boards in my car as he follows behind.  :))

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #494 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:14:04 »
Fast and Furious 8

Hooning at keycon :cool:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #495 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 20:13:17 »
I saw a white R33 GTR today with a carbon splitter and a visible intercooler, it was clearly turbo'd and sounded amazing. I flipped out as it drove past because it's the first one I've seen stateside. As far as I know there are only a few that can be registered in the US.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #496 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 04:52:14 »

Awesome! S2ks are so sweet!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 05:45:07 »
S2000 is one of those all time classic cars.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #498 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:35:18 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!
Weird to call shotgun in a car with only two seats  :p

lol

A minor technicality  :P

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:43:15 »

KeyCon Shotgun called!
Weird to call shotgun in a car with only two seats 

lol

A minor technicality 
As a responsible bro I adhere to formal shotgun rules.