Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 - Mod  (Read 133473 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Ducky Shine 2 - Mod
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:04:58 »
wow! very nice! you paint it over the black case? how you get the work geekhack on it?

Pictures are in! :cool:

The Case Painted/Dipped with True Metallics Plasti Dip Aluminum Silver
More
Brightness Levels 1 to 5:

Brightness - Level 1:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 2:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 3:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 4:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 5:
Show Image

Thanks justnits!  Yes, I just cleaned the original black case with alcohol, let it dry, and painted it with plasti dip. :)

The "geekhack" is a sticker from Shadovved.  You can get some stickers in his sale thread (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43995.0).

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 09:06:08 »
What is that black "loolklike trackpad"?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 18:24:33 »
What is that black "loolklike trackpad"?

It's the front cover of the NAS I use, a Synology DiskStation DS413:

135672-0

I didn't like the glossy cover :p

Edit: Reuploaded the picture(s).
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2016, 03:37:48 by infiniti »

Offline justnits

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:34:45 »
wow! very nice! you paint it over the black case? how you get the work geekhack on it?

More

Brightness - Level 1:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 2:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 3:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 4:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 5:
Show Image

Thanks justnits!  Yes, I just cleaned the original black case with alcohol, let it dry, and painted it with plasti dip. :)

The "geekhack" is a sticker from Shadovved.  You can get some stickers in his sale thread (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43995.0).

ahh, nevermind then. perhaps i'll just do my own cutout and spray on it :D thanks!
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 00:50:31 »

More

Brightness - Level 1:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 2:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 3:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 4:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 5:
Show Image

ahh, nevermind then. perhaps i'll just do my own cutout and spray on it :D thanks!

No problem!  FYI, the font in the GH logo is Special Elite by Astigmatic (Download: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/special-elite).

Offline justnits

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:26:32 »

More

Brightness - Level 1:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 2:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 3:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 4:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 5:
Show Image

No problem!  FYI, the font in the GH logo is Special Elite by Astigmatic (Download: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/special-elite).

thanks for the font! but i wasn't going to do a geekhack word on it...was gonna spray my nick on it  :))
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:51:27 »

More

Brightness - Level 1:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 2:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 3:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 4:
Show Image

Brightness - Level 5:
Show Image

thanks for the font! but i wasn't going to do a geekhack word on it...was gonna spray my nick on it  :))
Sounds cool!  Now I'm getting ideas...

Anyway, post pics when you do paint it! ;)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 14:01:04 »
How is the PlastiDip holding up? I'm afraid I might scratch it and then peel off the layer.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:47:05 »
How is the PlastiDip holding up? I'm afraid I might scratch it and then peel off the layer.

I think the humidity here is affecting the way the plasti dip cures/dries.

On the whole I think it is holding up well on the Shine 2.  If I press my nail against it, it does not leave a mark but I'm still not comfy doing a scratch test with my fingernail.

I painted the case of my QFR and I can do a scratch test on that this weekend.  I'll post pictures for reference.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 07:24:56 »
Here's the video to the scratch test on 4 layers of plasti dip on a QFR case that I let dry for about a week:
* Ducky Shine 2 Scratch Test.mp4 (6622.7 kB - downloaded 233 times.)

I needed to redo the QFR case anyway since the scratches that I thought would be covered up by the plasti dip didn't get filled in. :'(

Anyway, regarding the scratch resistance...I should have waited longer between coats...the can instructs to wait 4 hours between coats. :-[

The Shine 2 case is doing fine with about 5-6 hours use daily...haven't tried a scratch test though :))

Edit: Reuploaded video.  RIP Dropbox Public Folder.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:38:57 by infiniti »

Offline justnits

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 19:21:26 »
Here's the video to the scratch test on 4 layers of plasti dip on a QFR case that I let dry for about a week:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20523800/Scratch%20TestTest.MOV

I needed to redo the QFR case anyway since the scratches that I thought would be covered up by the plasti dip didn't get filled in. :'(

Anyway, regarding the scratch resistance...I should have waited longer between coats...the can instructs to wait 4 hours between coats. :-[

The Shine 2 case is doing fine with about 5-6 hours use daily...haven't tried a scratch test though :))

wow, i guess i couldn't bring my ducky along with me in my laptop bag after painting the case with plastidip  :eek:
| | | |

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 19:36:42 »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20523800/Scratch%20TestTest.MOV

Wow, thanks for the video!

It looks pretty good still! The videos I saw on YouTube with PlastiDip on cars peeled off so easily.

Good job still!

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 21:41:25 »
Really Sweet Board! You inspired me and I am going to get the same Grey Keycaps!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 01:48:57 »
wow, i guess i couldn't bring my ducky along with me in my laptop bag after painting the case with plastidip  :eek:
Man...I was really expecting this to be more durable...but I think I didn't dip it right.  I'll do more testing over the holiday break. :)
________

Wow, thanks for the video!

It looks pretty good still! The videos I saw on YouTube with PlastiDip on cars peeled off so easily.

Good job still!
You're welcome!

With permission of the owner of a dipped car, I tried doing the same thing and it didn't peel.  It didn't even mark.  The owner had it done at a shop so he couldn't give me any more info.

I really think I laid the layers on too thick too fast.  I'll do some more testing when I have time and report back. ;)
________

Really Sweet Board! You inspired me and I am going to get the same Grey Keycaps!
Thanks!  You won't be disappointed with the grey caps! :thumb:

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 20:37:59 »
Day 22

So...the Plasti Dip has started to wear off at the corners of the Shine 2 case where it makes contact with the plastic cover that I use as keyboard roof.

135674-0

135676-1

Before I draw conclusions, I'll peel this off over the holiday break and re-dip it...but this time with ample time to dry between layers.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2016, 03:39:16 by infiniti »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 20:42:41 »
Aw :(  That's what I was worried about.  On the plus side, apparently you can peel it all off if you do a thick overall layer, and you can always do enamel later.  Silver metallics are generally fairly easy to work with (unless you get unlucky and get paint that takes forever to dry, but can always test on small samples).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 02:35:06 »
Aw :(  That's what I was worried about.  On the plus side, apparently you can peel it all off if you do a thick overall layer, and you can always do enamel later.  Silver metallics are generally fairly easy to work with (unless you get unlucky and get paint that takes forever to dry, but can always test on small samples).

Yeah...it can be peeled off if it is thick enough.  I need to refine my technique before concluding that there is something wrong with the product hahaha

If it still peels later on I'll consider some real paint.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 07:36:13 »
The Plasti-Dip is not a very durable finish i don't think it was intended to be. Most rubberized coating will peel from nicks or wear, like CoolerMaster uses on QFR's. If you want durability you will have to use a "real paint". I have found the Rustolem Universal line of paint is easy to use and adheres well, its a one step paint + primer. I have had very good results with it and seems very durable and if you like silver the Satin Nickel looks like anodized alum. I have done a lot painting using Rustolem paints for keyboards and been very happy with the results.     
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2013, 07:41:04 by MJ45 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 08:55:39 »
The Plasti-Dip is not a very durable finish i don't think it was intended to be. Most rubberized coating will peel from nicks or wear, like CoolerMaster uses on QFR's. If you want durability you will have to use a "real paint". I have found the Rustolem Universal line of paint is easy to use and adheres well, its a one step paint + primer. I have had very good results with it and seems very durable and if you like silver the Satin Nickel looks like anodized alum. I have done a lot painting using Rustolem paints for keyboards and been very happy with the results.   

Thanks for that MJ45!  I guess I may just be trying to convince myself that the plasti dip is more durable than it actually is and can stand up to regular handling and touching. :(

Good that you mentioned Rustoleum...I just remembered that I have some left over from when I painted the plate!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 22:30:06 »
That Plasti Dip Update

Front left corner:
135678-0

Front right corner:
135680-1

These are the nicks from the wire keycap puller:
135682-2

Here's a scratch test:
Ducky Shine 2 Scratch Test.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20523800/Ducky%20Shine%202%20Scratch%20Test.mp4

Anyway, I've decided to peel off the plasti dip silliness and repaint the top case properly with some REAL paint.

The plasti dip peels off easier on the flat surfaces but it's harder to get off in the inside edges where it was a little thin.  I've resorted to rubbing it off with an old towel while watching TV.

UPDATE: When I stripped the plasti dip from the front cover of my diskstation I used WD-40 to dissolve it and then washed it off with water and got into the nooks and crannies with an old toothbrush.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2016, 03:42:55 by infiniti »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 00:01:22 »
:(  Thanks for the tests!  It's useful to know the results.  I do wonder if Plasti-Dip had a hard time adhering to the plastic on the case without some sort of a primer too.  That could have eased the flaking.  Going to add a link to your thread in my painting tips collection: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44191.0  :)  If you'd like to add some details, it'd be great!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 03:44:52 »
:(  Thanks for the tests!  It's useful to know the results.  I do wonder if Plasti-Dip had a hard time adhering to the plastic on the case without some sort of a primer too.  That could have eased the flaking.  Going to add a link to your thread in my painting tips collection: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44191.0  :)  If you'd like to add some details, it'd be great!

I think using a primer would reduce the appeal of the plasti dip as a "reversible" coating.  Anyway, I'll do some tests when I have some primer and time.

Ooh getting linked to the painting tips collection, NICE!  What kind of details should I add?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 12:37:10 »
Hrm, maybe just your painting process, how thick of a layer you had made, and some description of durability over time.  Thank you :). I see PlastiDip recommended periodically as the easy solution, but I had a feeling it would not be a lasting one.  Can always sand and re-spray enamel after a year or two if needed, or to change color.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 December 2013, 12:39:00 by Photoelectric »

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 10:36:50 »
Beautiful!!!
c h e r

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 11:46:03 »
Hrm, maybe just your painting process, how thick of a layer you had made, and some description of durability over time.  Thank you :). I see PlastiDip recommended periodically as the easy solution, but I had a feeling it would not be a lasting one.  Can always sand and re-spray enamel after a year or two if needed, or to change color.

I see.  Pardon the late reply.

When I have the time, I'll do some real testing with plastidip and post it in a separate thread.  My priority right now is to repaint the Shine II case and restore it to glory :cool: (Note: it does have a cool glow without the case though...

135684-0

________

Beautiful!!!

Thanks!  Hopefully it will be better after some new paint on the top case hehe

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2016, 03:46:41 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 08:11:10 »
TLDR: I've been busy, got sick, cough, wheeze, bought clear/translucent white o-rings and took pics, thought of future mods and made a list.

Just to update this: I haven't had much free time. :( Turn over at work is taking longer than expected.  On top of that I was down with the flu last week and almost fully recovered. [/excuses]
________

I picked up some clear/translucent white o-rings from eBay.  They are better for backlight keycaps since light will shine through the o-ring.

Look at the letter O.  Take notice of the bottom part of the letter O.  There's a slight shadow with the black o-ring.

With a black o-ring:

With a clear/translucent white o-ring:

clear/translucent white o-ring and 50A black o-ring:

The black one is stiffer than the clear/translucent white o-ring.
________

Anyway, aside from repainting the Shine 2 case I've been considering some other things:

Edit: Reuploaded pictures to Imgur.  RIP Dropbox Public Folder.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:40:55 by infiniti »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:19:48 »
That o-ring thing is genius! My previous DS2 had red o-rings and I didn't realize that it would affect the lighting of the keys.

Good job on the mods :D.

+1 for the clipped stabilizers -- it's a night and day difference.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 01:20:36 »
When I switched from ortho dental bands to black o-rings, I noticed the slight dimming and just ignored it.

While browsing a local electronics trading website, I saw the clear o-rings selling for PHP600 (~US$13.43) for 110 pieces.  Good thing it was out of stock since I was able to get them on ebay for cheaper.

Anyway, I've worked out a M-W-F schedule during the terminal period of my turnover at work so I should have some time to clip the stabilizers tomorrow. ;D

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 00:50:59 »
I clipped the stabilizers on the Shine 2.  They feel different in a good way.

I'll go clip the stabilizers on my QFR as well. :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 01:43:07 »

QFR uses Costar stabilizers :)  Unless you've modded it.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 02:09:12 »

Of course it's modded hehe :p

Funny story actually...I bought the custom plate before I had a QFR then ran into problems sourcing a QFR and somehow ended up with 2 QFRs haha :)) :))

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 02:15:45 »

Funny story actually...I bought the custom plate before I had a QFR then ran into problems sourcing a QFR and somehow ended up with 2 QFRs haha :)) :))

Keyboards are a drug and an addition I tell ya!  ;D

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:57:27 »

Keyboards are a drug and an addition I tell ya!  ;D

Addiction?  I prefer to refer to it as a passion. :thumb: It makes me feel better when I pay the bills. :))

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 10:05:06 »
I'm still waiting on the clear switches and springs.

Meanwhile to feed the addiction passion, I picked up a set of white Ducky Shine 2 key caps (from keyBoardgeek Zone):

I haven't decided on how to do a tri-color scheme yet but I'll probably go with a penguin scheme first (a penguin is closer to a duck than a panda):

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:42:03 by infiniti »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 11:13:53 »
I'm just now reading this thread, but thank you for all the details you've provided of your process. This is a HUGE help for those of us just getting into modding their cases and see the pros and cons of plasti-dip.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 15:52:50 »
So pro.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 05:25:11 »
I'm just now reading this thread, but thank you for all the details you've provided of your process. This is a HUGE help for those of us just getting into modding their cases and see the pros and cons of plasti-dip.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Thanks!  I still haven't been able to do plasti-dip testing because of my allergies  :'(  I want to do that testing before I concede to having the case painted with automotive paint.
________

So pro.

Wouldn't really call myself a pro but I never turn down a compliment so thanks buddy! ;D
________

Anyway, I went with a penguin color scheme until I think of a nice tri-color black-white-gray scheme.

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:43:01 by infiniti »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 07:54:45 »
:)
Normally I'd like a black/white hard contrast but the grey works here too.