Author Topic: Would like to start making keycaps but dont know how!  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Lyhh

Would like to start making keycaps but dont know how!
« on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 16:21:54 »
Hello!

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, i would like to start making custom keycap sets but I have limited knowledge of how to get renders or work with people to start Interest checks Etc.. if someone is kind enough to take me though the process then that would be very appreciated, I do have a my colors and layouts worked out but I am missing the novelties and the compatibility kits. Thanks

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
Re: Would like to start making keycaps but dont know how!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 15:11:37 »
Wait u can actually create custom keycap sets?

(srry if this is disappointing bcz it isn't really an answer to your question but i was just wondering)
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline sasha

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 03:18:13 »
Everyone's process is different so I'd personally reccoment joining a couple of discords and asking around, primarly designers as they always have insightful feedback and a general overarching concept of keycaps and how to run IC's

However, regarding renders I would highly reccomend using this keyboard render it by ImperfectLink. It contains a variety of boards, any customization you'd desire and fairly simple ease of use. It does cost $36 so I can see how that might be pricy however, consider it an investment if you're going to follow through with your designs. There are some other free render kits that are also used on Blender if you're interested in those as well however, as expected, you are losing out on some benefits.

Best of luck and I hope I could help

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 05:08:00 »
if your plans are to make keycap sets then yeah watch the IC and GB threads, ask creators etc.
if your plans are to make artisan caps then there are a few guides in the making things together section and on youtube.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:41:45 »
Artisan Keycap Maker! It depends on which keycap you are going to create. In the case of relatively Artisan keycaps, there are exceptions to the general rule. And for mass production, a silicone mold is required when making it.