Author Topic: [IC] GMK Arch | Pricing! | Major IC Changes | Collab Prototypes  (Read 169336 times)

Offline Ram

Re: [IC] GMK Arch
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 23:08:33 »
I guess it's your set and you have permission but it sucks this with become "the" arch kit and have the wrong logo and colors.

That's not to say the colors aren't great, I like them but it doesn't make sense to call it arch while changing both the logo and the base color.

It would be like all the eva01 stuff softening the green or something...

There is no reason this has to become "the" Arch Linux kit, anyone could redo it in the future to be more true to the overall Arch theme as long as permission was granted from the people overseeing Arch.

The more I consider this with the colors and off novelties the more I'm leaning towards skipping it.
Sure, someone else *could* come along and do it 'right' but I anticipate their IC thread will be overrun with people talking about how confusing it is there is another "arch" kit and "you should use a different name" and so on...Maybe even GMK going, hey we already have this very different product line. Pick another name.(?)

If this is the first kit that comes out bearing the name, it likely will be "the" kit because anyone who wants to come do something that really is Arch-like would be fighting the existing idioms.

I do understand what you're saying though.

At first this didn't bother me much, but as a 10+ years arch user the more I think about it the less I like it. Taken in a vacuum the colors are great. The arch'iness is there in the quirky keys (-Syu) - great! VIM KEYS - I LOVE! <3

But I don't think it's right to use the Arch name and then make your own logo and color scheme. IMHO that's wrong and will set a precedence while simultaneously being inauthentic. Anyways, not my thread. I don't own arch either... but i will be hard-pass on it now.

arch logos: https://www.archlinux.org/art/

ok, i will bow (disappointedly) out of this thread now.

I fully understand what you mean and won't try to change your opinion, but I will explain my pov for a few things,  when I contacted one of the vendors I was going with, they made it obvious that this would be an expensive set as is, and I had to remove some icons(there were going to be true arch logos in the gui kit for super) so since I had a logo with the simplified style I had decided to stick with that novelty since it was already there and I didn't think people would care that much, obviously I was wrong. Especially since your a long time Arch user your feedback means more than most other since technically you're what the set should be appealing to. I will try to find a way to fit those back in once the quotes come back and I know if it will work or not, and I'll see what I can do about making it right and getting this set closer to what it was meant to be, because originally I really wanted to stick to the true arch colors but both personal preference and the fact that anything with those colors always resemble Umbra or another set to the point that I can't run it at all, so my hope was that I could get close and use the novs and mat as a way of maintaining the theme. So I hope you understand, and even if you don't your opinion is still valid and I'm going to use it for guidance from now till gb(if that happens) and for future sets.

Thanks,

Ram

Being too close to Umbra with that sort of aquamarine blue makes sense. I don't see why you couldn't just replace all the R1/R4 Arch logos with the official logos keeping the option 1 and option 2 kitting the same, where would be the price increase in doing that?
My mistake, I mean I had both, if people end up wanting the normal arch logos over the simplified ones I will replace them as a whole.

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 15:22:30 »
I guess it's your set and you have permission but it sucks this with become "the" arch kit and have the wrong logo and colors.

That's not to say the colors aren't great, I like them but it doesn't make sense to call it arch while changing both the logo and the base color.

There is no reason this has to become "the" Arch Linux kit, anyone could redo it in the future to be more true to the overall Arch theme as long as permission was granted from the people overseeing Arch.

The more I consider this with the colors and off novelties the more I'm leaning towards skipping it.
Sure, someone else *could* come along and do it 'right' but I anticipate their IC thread will be overrun with people talking about how confusing it is there is another "arch" kit and "you should use a different name" and so on...Maybe even GMK going, hey we already have this very different product line. Pick another name.(?)

If this is the first kit that comes out bearing the name, it likely will be "the" kit because anyone who wants to come do something that really is Arch-like would be fighting the existing idioms.

At first this didn't bother me much, but as a 10+ years arch user the more I think about it the less I like it. Taken in a vacuum the colors are great. The arch'iness is there in the quirky keys (-Syu) - great! VIM KEYS - I LOVE! <3

But I don't think it's right to use the Arch name and then make your own logo and color scheme. IMHO that's wrong and will set a precedence while simultaneously being inauthentic. Anyways, not my thread. I don't own arch either... but i will be hard-pass on it now.

I fully understand what you mean and won't try to change your opinion, but I will explain my pov for a few things,  when I contacted one of the vendors I was going with, they made it obvious that this would be an expensive set as is, and I had to remove some icons(there were going to be true arch logos in the gui kit for super) so since I had a logo with the simplified style I had decided to stick with that novelty since it was already there and I didn't think people would care that much, obviously I was wrong. Especially since your a long time Arch user your feedback means more than most other since technically you're what the set should be appealing to. I will try to find a way to fit those back in once the quotes come back and I know if it will work or not, and I'll see what I can do about making it right and getting this set closer to what it was meant to be, because originally I really wanted to stick to the true arch colors but both personal preference and the fact that anything with those colors always resemble Umbra or another set to the point that I can't run it at all, so my hope was that I could get close and use the novs and mat as a way of maintaining the theme. So I hope you understand, and even if you don't your opinion is still valid and I'm going to use it for guidance from now till gb(if that happens) and for future sets.

Thanks,

Ram

Being too close to Umbra with that sort of aquamarine blue makes sense. I don't see why you couldn't just replace all the R1/R4 Arch logos with the official logos keeping the option 1 and option 2 kitting the same, where would be the price increase in doing that?
My mistake, I mean I had both, if people end up wanting the normal arch logos over the simplified ones I will replace them as a whole.

Got it, I see what you mean. Having both logos would definitely be way over kill. I think another reason you should use the official logo is you're in the uncommon circumstance where the people that are responsible for the original IP have given you the go ahead, so many sets have to try and work around this by creating an "inspired by" set. Also the deskpad uses the real logo.

Just saw your comment on one of the proxies saying it's going to be an expensive kit. The base could be cheaper if numpad and ISO were removed and made into their own kit like is pretty common to do. Especially since there are 2 different ISO enters in the base that will drive the price up a decent amount.

Offline Ram

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 15:53:51 »
Man you made a killer looking IC, amazing presentation -- I'm super proud to see this come to full fruition since you initially first posted that concept render in the discord.
Thanks! Though it wouldn't be the same without your killer renders!

Offline Ram

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 15:55:08 »

Thanks,

Ram

Got it, I see what you mean. Having both logos would definitely be way over kill. I think another reason you should use the official logo is you're in the uncommon circumstance where the people that are responsible for the original IP have given you the go ahead, so many sets have to try and work around this by creating an "inspired by" set. Also the deskpad uses the real logo.

Just saw your comment on one of the proxies saying it's going to be an expensive kit. The base could be cheaper if numpad and ISO were removed and made into their own kit like is pretty common to do. Especially since there are 2 different ISO enters in the base that will drive the price up a decent amount.
Yeah, once I have quotes from GMK kitting adjustment is the first thing I'll do. For now though I don't have too much of a reference/estimate.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 17:12:05 »

Thanks,

Ram

That base kit will cost around 135usd/euros in general. The majority of current sets also go with the big base kit. I have no problem with the current base kit. Remove numpad will only reduce the cost around 10usd/euros based on gmk pricing, remove ISO wont do much either but will lose a lot more interest for people who use ISO (European buyers). If runner are to remove some keys to keep the cost down, remove R1 end and R1 Pgdn and those accent arrows and all Numpad together but the ISO has to be in base kit. Just look at GMK ThinkCaps or GMK Norse, they go with a TKL base and received positive feedbacks about the kitting. The removed keys from base may go to another kits or become a separated kit of its own.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 18:01:16 »
That base kit will cost around 135usd/euros in general. The majority of current sets also go with the big base kit. I have no problem with the current base kit. Remove numpad will only reduce the cost around 10usd/euros based on gmk pricing, remove ISO wont do much either but will lose a lot more interest for people who use ISO (European buyers). If runner are to remove some keys to keep the cost down, remove R1 end and R1 Pgdn and those accent arrows and all Numpad together but the ISO has to be in base kit. Just look at GMK ThinkCaps or GMK Norse, they go with a TKL base and received positive feedbacks about the kitting. The removed keys from base may go to another kits or become a separated kit of its own.

I wouldn't exactly consider ThinkCaps to be a shining beacon of how to Kit GMK though. I had to pass on it because it was just too much to get what I wanted out of it.
Anywho, splitting numpad out of a $130 kit is a good way to turn it into a $150 kit for those that actually want the numpad.
Not saying that's a bad thing, TKL's are certainly popular.
But removing a key here or a key there really won't do much to help the overall cost of the base kit. However, adding a key or two will marginally increase the cost but definitely up your numbers. One good example is including minibars and second B in base for Alice users. That way they're not forced to buy a $50"degenerates" kit for like 3 keys.
What doesn't work so well with GMK is separating out the 40's keys (minivan, ortho, etc) into lots of little kits. Having a comprehensive 40's kit might be expensive but it usually works out pretty well.

I think the kitting looks pretty great as it is. Big base kit is best base kit. I would like to see some love for minivan 1.75u backspace and row 3 1.5u enter though.

Offline Ram

Re: [IC] GMK Arch | Vendors Announced!!!!
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:18:17 »
bump

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:02:20 »
I saw this happen in the Keycap Designer Discord! Congrats -- super nice looking set. And love the attention to detail in the whole IC post.

Offline Ram

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:08:26 »
I saw this happen in the Keycap Designer Discord! Congrats -- super nice looking set. And love the attention to detail in the whole IC post.
Thanks! Excited to see the other sets that are coming out of KCD

Offline Anatzum

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 00:25:07 »
Really enjoying the set. Reminds me of the "Arc Dark" theme with teal instead of blue more then Arch though.

Maybe a rename to include teal as in "GMK Arch Teal" or going with Arc.

Either way I'm in.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 00:41:42 »

I wouldn't exactly consider ThinkCaps to be a shining beacon of how to Kit GMK though. I had to pass on it because it was just too much to get what I wanted out of it.
Anywho, splitting numpad out of a $130 kit is a good way to turn it into a $150 kit for those that actually want the numpad.
Not saying that's a bad thing, TKL's are certainly popular.
But removing a key here or a key there really won't do much to help the overall cost of the base kit. However, adding a key or two will marginally increase the cost but definitely up your numbers. One good example is including minibars and second B in base for Alice users. That way they're not forced to buy a $50"degenerates" kit for like 3 keys.
What doesn't work so well with GMK is separating out the 40's keys (minivan, ortho, etc) into lots of little kits. Having a comprehensive 40's kit might be expensive but it usually works out pretty well.

I think the kitting looks pretty great as it is. Big base kit is best base kit. I would like to see some love for minivan 1.75u backspace and row 3 1.5u enter though.
Well I have nothing against the current base kit, it's just a suggestion about which key is more vital to keep in the base. I actually prefer big base kit than some of the new terrible kittings.

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 09:57:20 »
This or the GMK Stealth... Ughhhhh why y'all do this.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:36:16 »
This or the GMK Stealth... Ughhhhh why y'all do this.

Pourquoi pas les deux? ;) Stealth is running now, and this won't be running for a little while, so there should be time to get both!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:07:41 »
please include a render of the TTY kit on a board so we can see what that looks like!

Offline Ram

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 14:05:50 »
please include a render of the TTY kit on a board so we can see what that looks like!
If you hit more on the iron180 renders the 2nd one is with the TTY and GUI kit!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 14:32:53 »

That's a great render but I wouldn't say that it really highlights the TTY and GUI kits very well because of the shaded lighting. Something like your other renders would really help with seeing what this is supposed to look like.

Offline Ram

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 14:53:19 »

That's a great render but I wouldn't say that it really highlights the TTY and GUI kits very well because of the shaded lighting. Something like your other renders would really help with seeing what this is supposed to look like.
Thats true, I'll probably hagve to ocmission another render for that which I don't currently have the cash for, worst case is the scene render is the only tty render until the GB which would have a tty board render.

Offline Cujo96

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:09:18 »
who is riftkeys?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:48:01 by Cujo96 »

Offline Ram

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:59:56 »
who is riftkeys?
A friend of mine who is a vendor for OCE, and also the OCE proxy for ashkeebs and mechs and co,

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 19:03:45 »
Nice

Offline mrvco

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 22:31:46 »
Will this set be difficult to install?  Or should I wait for GMK Ubuntu instead?

Offline Ram

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 22:43:18 »
Will this set be difficult to install?  Or should I wait for GMK Ubuntu instead?
Will be much harder to install, but I recommend giving it a shot ;)

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:28:08 »

I have waited for that as well

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 12:04:53 »
Bumped :)

Offline Ram

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 14:50:49 »

Thanks,

Ram

Thanks,

Ram

Swapped out the simplified logo for the true one, though based on what I'm seeing teh cuts in the logo won't show in the final caps,

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 15:08:32 »
Very elegant.
Good decision with making Shell and TTY kit to work together for 2 keyboards.

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 16:00:05 »

Thanks,

Ram

Thanks,

Ram

Swapped out the simplified logo for the true one, though based on what I'm seeing teh cuts in the logo won't show in the final caps,

Looking good fam, will be keeping my eyes out for this one, hoping the base isn't too expensive.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 17:21:39 »
Guys, can we stop making kilometer-long chain quotes? ;D You're making them almost as long as the Arch installation process.

Offline Ram

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 17:55:36 »
Guys, can we stop making kilometer-long chain quotes? ;D You're making them almost as long as the Arch installation process.
Gotta stay true to the theme

Offline musdem

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 17:57:18 »
Would it be possible to move the vim arrows to another kit? Or make them their own kit? I want those but I don't really care about the icon buttons.

Offline Ram

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:31:10 »
Would it be possible to move the vim arrows to another kit? Or make them their own kit? I want those but I don't really care about the icon buttons.
someone else asked for it so it's definitely a consideration, just where it would fit best is the question, since I don't want to make the base kit too large.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:48:15 »
Wow, really happy to see how this set developed!!!

Offline Ram

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 19:03:30 »
Wow, really happy to see how this set developed!!!
Thanks! Excited to see how the KAM 80s gb goes

Offline Ram

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 19:30:31 »
Really enjoying the set. Reminds me of the "Arc Dark" theme with teal instead of blue more then Arch though.

Maybe a rename to include teal as in "GMK Arch Teal" or going with Arc.

Either way I'm in.
A bit too late for a full rename haha, though in retrospect would have been a better idea.

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:31:02 »
Shouldn't F13 be mod colored?
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline Ram

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:40:02 »
Shouldn't F13 be mod colored?
yep will fix
also need to find a financially viable solution for tty spacebars

Offline Ram

Re: [IC] GMK Arch | Major Updates(Vendors, Kitting, and Discord Server)
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:03:37 »
bump for updatre

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:35:42 »
bump for updatre
I don't think adding 40s keys to base kit is a good idea. People who use 40s keyboard need a lot more specific keys, hence it's better to put all the 40s keys to a separated kit.

Offline Ram

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:41:51 »
bump for updatre
I don't think adding 40s keys to base kit is a good idea. People who use 40s keyboard need a lot more specific keys, hence it's better to put all the 40s keys to a separated kit.
That's definitely true, and I'll be 100% on that when I have quotes from GMK, because I'll have enough responses to gauge the demand for a 40s kit and pricing for the base, a LOT of people want nothing to change in the base kit bc of the 40s keys, and if the price for the base is decent, and demand for a dedicated 40s kit low, I'll keep it as is, if  the price is high and the demand is high, I'll make a dedicated kit.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 14:11:45 »
bump for updatre
That's definitely true, and I'll be 100% on that when I have quotes from GMK, because I'll have enough responses to gauge the demand for a 40s kit and pricing for the base, a LOT of people want nothing to change in the base kit bc of the 40s keys, and if the price for the base is decent, and demand for a dedicated 40s kit low, I'll keep it as is, if  the price is high and the demand is high, I'll make a dedicated kit.
At this point I think the base kit will be around 145 150 retail price, but you get everything so it's actually not bad. The colorway and the theme are just too good. I'm also an embedded developer so I need this.

Offline Ram

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 22:30:13 »
bump for updatre
At this point I think the base kit will be around 145 150 retail price, but you get everything so it's actually not bad. The colorway and the theme are just too good. I'm also an embedded developer so I need this.

Thats my quess as well, but always better to be certain before changing anything,

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 09:11:56 »
Ram might have found a niche here...

GMK Gentoo
GMK Buntu (I would guess copyright infringement on this one would be hard to get around hence the name)
GMK MicrosoftEdgeIsTrash

Just saying. Gorgeous set.

Offline Ram

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 12:45:15 »
Ram might have found a niche here...

GMK Gentoo
GMK Buntu (I would guess copyright infringement on this one would be hard to get around hence the name)
GMK MicrosoftEdgeIsTrash

Just saying. Gorgeous set.
Thanks haha, yeah this could very well become a set series with the many options, though your forgetting GMK Windows, where I use some obscure color chip that only I have access to.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 14:26:54 »
Will give it a shot: NorDE please!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline maelkesnot

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 19:02:22 »
I say NorDe aswell! looks good!

Offline Ram

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 23:11:07 »
I say NorDe aswell! looks good!

Will give it a shot: NorDE please!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Demand for it is definitely there based on the IC form, like for everything else, I'll wait till I have quotes back so I can have both pricing info and a bit more IC form responses to have a more accurate number for people who want NorDEUK
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2020, 14:55:05 by Ram »

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 01:10:44 »
arch dolch so lit

Offline Ram

Offline IceHawk

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 01:42:39 »
This looks awesome! I'm in, if you offer ISO-DE keycaps as well.

Offline Ram

Re: [IC] GMK Arch | Collaborations and 2nd Deskmat Announced!
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 12:57:43 »
bump for update