Author Topic: Is it possible to convert a tactile switch to a linear one?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline Row009

Is it possible to convert a tactile switch to a linear one?
« on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 16:30:01 »
Hello,

I got a few Outemu Blue switches (MX clone) from china today, and opened one up just to take a peak inside..
I took out the small metal plate with the bump just to see how it'll feel without it, closed it up, and it felt pretty good...
The question is, is there any way to install a different shaped plate inside and basically turn it into a linear switch?
I'm quite new to the game, and google didn't yield any productive results, so sorry if the question is kinda ridiculous...

Thanks,

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: Is it possible to convert a tactile switch to a linear one?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 17:28:40 »
For mx you can change the slider to make it linear. You don't change the leaf. If you buy red switches you can swap them, but I'd just swap the whole switch and not just the slider. So to make your keyboard linear, you'd have to buy switches.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 01:20:30 »
Maybe you had heard about Alps switches modified this way.
In tactile Alps, there are two leaf springs on opposite sides of the slider: one for the electromechanical action and the other for tactility. If you remove the tactile leaf in an Alps switch, you get a linear Alps switch.
In Cherry MX switches (and clones), there is only one leaf spring and the action depends on the shape of the slider.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 02:11:41 »
It's technically possible, but for MX it's easier to just replace the whole switch.

In Alps, you can take the top off of the switch without any desoldering, and simply pluck the tactile or click leaf out and then put the switch back together, and then you have some of the best linear switches you can get. You can also turn the tactile switches into clicky ones by breaking the tabs on the tactile leafs.

Offline Row009

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 11:59:36 »
It's technically possible, but for MX it's easier to just replace the whole switch.

In Alps, you can take the top off of the switch without any desoldering, and simply pluck the tactile or click leaf out and then put the switch back together, and then you have some of the best linear switches you can get. You can also turn the tactile switches into clicky ones by breaking the tabs on the tactile leafs.

Maybe you had heard about Alps switches modified this way.
In tactile Alps, there are two leaf springs on opposite sides of the slider: one for the electromechanical action and the other for tactility. If you remove the tactile leaf in an Alps switch, you get a linear Alps switch.
In Cherry MX switches (and clones), there is only one leaf spring and the action depends on the shape of the slider.

Would any of you recommend doing this: http://imgur.com/a/XAwra -?
- Or perhaps Jailhouse mod?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 12:03:14 by Row009 »