Author Topic: Undampening Matias Quiet Click Switches  (Read 2913 times)

Offline s0nia

Undampening Matias Quiet Click Switches
« on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:48:23 »
Does anybody have experience with doing this? This is a top-mod, right? No soldering required?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Undampening Matias Quiet Click Switches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 01:19:19 »
I'd like to know about this too. A friend gave me a Quiet Click last year, and it'd be great to make it clicky.

As most of you know, you can never have too much clickiness. Imagine what a better place the world would be if there were more clicky keyboards. Why, if we made enough clickety typing sounds, Donald Drumpf might realize he'd blustered and bullied his way into something he was vastly, unimaginably, irresponsibly unqualified for. He might decide to resign so he could return to being the world's most famously rude, intolerant, shallow, thin-skinned, sneering, chronically-lying misogynist rich guy, an image he spent decades cultivating before he started trying to convince people he was someone else so they'd vote for him. Wouldn't that be great? Anything's possible.

But I digress. I would like to know about the undampening thing, too.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline saxophone

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 02:06:13 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/modifications_alps#wiki_switch_modifications

Canada: your premium source for reliable ****posts

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 09:22:09 »
I've done the mod with an AEK 2.  No desoldering needed.  After disassembling the switch, I popped out both dampers with a screwdriver and flattened two tabs on the leaf.  The click is a little more subdued than SKCM whites.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2017, 22:18:14 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:42:36 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/modifications_alps#wiki_switch_modifications

I checked the page, but didn't see anything specifically about un-dampening Matias switches, just about making clicky switches quiet. Did I miss something?

I live in Canada, but I'm an American citizen. (My Canadian wife had this idea we should live in the same country—go figure.)

Believe me, I wish the whole Drumpf thing weren't so surreal and scary. How could someone who reveled in being the personification of the shallow, self-absorbed, intolerant elitist, turn around and convince people he was exactly the opposite—to the extent of putting him in control of the whole country?

Either people are unbelievably gullible, or DT finally got so good at manipulating people, he finally developed the ability to induce amnesia. Those are the only explanations I can think of. We'll just have to see what happens, and hope the damage isn't irreversible.  :?|   

Meanwhile, we have great keyboards to type on, so we can take consolation in that!

I've done the mod with my AEK 2.  No desoldering needed.  After disassembling the switch, I popped out both dampers with a screwdriver and flattened two tabs on the leaf.  The click is a little more subdued than SKCM whites.  I prefer the feel and sound of these modded SKCM Creams over the Northgate Omnikey SKCM Whites and Alps.tw Type OA2 (Simplified ALPs).  I also did the same mod to the leafs of Orange ALPs on my AEK.

That sounds quite doable. Can you point us to any photos of the process, just to be sure we're doing the right thing? Thanks!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:25:23 »
I did this with Matias linears a while back.

Wrote up a whole post about it. http://missourivalleyambulance.com/2016-02-27-Adventures-In-Alps-Linear-Switch-Mods
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:43:02 »

I checked the page, but didn't see anything specifically about un-dampening Matias switches, just about making clicky switches quiet. Did I miss something?

I live in Canada, but I'm an American citizen. (My Canadian wife had this idea we should live in the same country—go figure.)

Believe me, I wish the whole Drumpf thing weren't so surreal and scary. How could someone who reveled in being the personification of the shallow, self-absorbed, intolerant elitist, turn around and convince people he was exactly the opposite—to the extent of putting him in control of the whole country?

Either people are unbelievably gullible, or DT finally got so good at manipulating people, he finally developed the ability to induce amnesia. Those are the only explanations I can think of. We'll just have to see what happens, and hope the damage isn't irreversible.  :?|   

Meanwhile, we have great keyboards to type on, so we can take consolation in that!

I've done the mod with an AEK 2.  No desoldering needed.  After disassembling the switch, I popped out both dampers with a screwdriver and flattened two tabs on the leaf.  The click is a little more subdued than SKCM whites.

That sounds quite doable. Can you point us to any photos of the process, just to be sure we're doing the right thing? Thanks!

160122-0

160124-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2017, 22:17:35 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||