Author Topic: Anyone using Gateron Reds As A Daily Driver?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline TheNamesTy45

Anyone using Gateron Reds As A Daily Driver?
« on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 09:14:17 »
Just wondering  who all here is using Gateron Reds as their daily driver for typing.

I just recently finished installing Zealios on one of my keyboards, and I love them as a tactile switch, but it got me thinking, I’ve only ever used tactile or clicky.

As  someone who has fractured or broken every single finger, and experiences pain in the joints from time to time, I really want to give linears a chance, so I ordered 100 Gateron Reds from MechanicalKeyboards.com. If I like them enough, I may order another pack of them to put into the Zeal60 based board I plan on building when it arrives.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
Re: Anyone using Gateron Reds As A Daily Driver?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 10:32:50 »
Personally I think Gateron reds would be too light for me so I've never tried building a board with them, but that being said gateron linear switches are very nice and I have very much enjoyed typing on gateron blacks in a few of the keyboards I've owned with them inside. And Ouch, broken every single finger?? That's crazy. I've repeatedly broken one bone in my hand skiing so I've had some recurring pain as well but over time using mechanical keyboards I've stopped feeling it as much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 11:55:20 »
Yeah, that's the common complaint I hear about using reds. I will probably come to the same conclusion, but I just have to see if it'll give me relief on the days my hands are acting up.

Would love to see some of your boards with blacks in them! Seems linear switches have a very narrow, but dedicated fan base. Would love to hear about your experiences with linears, and why you personally enjoy them.

Yeah all of them, both wrists, 2 toes, and a deviated septum. Basketball, football, and MMA. I actually decided against yearbooks most years in school and had people sign my casts instead...

Offline Phenix

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 11:59:26 »
I use gat clears as daily for quite some time.
Smooth and light
Winter is coming.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 12:13:57 »
I use gat clears as daily for quite some time.
Smooth and light

You're a rare breed from what I understand! What did you use before the clears? Did it take a long time to get used to the light weight? Are typos a frequent occurrence, or has your touch adjusted to the weight?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 12:15:36 »
I use mx reds at work all day and gateron reds at home.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 12:30:21 »
Well - I dont really have that much typos. Adjusting goes quick, bit one is bottoming out frequently.

So i would say yea, its about adjust to
Winter is coming.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 13:13:22 »
For a while my main driver at work was a Varmilo VA108M with Gateron reds. It was great!

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 14:06:04 »
For a while my main driver at work was a Varmilo VA108M with Gateron reds. It was great!

What ended up replacing it? Any particular reason it lost its spot?

Offline need

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 14:23:22 »
I love Gateron Yellow so much, they're exceptionally smooth and the weight is perfect for not bottoming out. Although they aren't tactile, the cushiony feel sort of gives you a sense of feedback and let your finger know when to lift off. Your have broken fingers, so Reds sound perfect for you man.

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:22:38 »

What ended up replacing it? Any particular reason it lost its spot?

Once I started using boards with silenced switches, I simply couldn't go back to conventional (unsilenced) switches. My main driver is now a silenced Topre RealForce RGB. The feel and sound is simply sublime.

I also have a Vortex Pok3r RGB with MX silent reds that replaced my Vortex Pok3r with MX reds. Basically I am phasing out all my Gateron/MX red boards for boards with silenced Topres and MX pinks.