Author Topic: Cherry MX Silent Reds, Topre, or Classic MX Reds?  (Read 24976 times)

Offline zpcomstock17

Re: Cherry MX Silent Reds, Topre, or Classic MX Reds?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 17:50:12 »
Be sure to let us know how you like it :)

Keep in mind if you want to lube them, you are going to have to desolder all of the switches.

I'm sadly going to have to lube only the sliders with the q-tip method or be careful with the nozzle.
I'll be sure to tell you how it feels compared to a good dome keyboard and my old MX Brown.
I'm going to be hunting for lube now.   ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 17:52:13 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:40:01 »
     I used mx reds for 2 years on a Poker 2 with imsto thick pbt blanks.  I wanted a light linear switch.  Mx Reds seemed a little too light at first, my index finger kept inadvertently hitting the f key, so I ordered some Gateron blacks.  By the time I received the Gateron blacks, I had already adjusted to the reds, so I decided against the changeover.  Gaterons are definitely smoother but when typing at speed I didn't notice the grittiness of the mx reds so much.
     Having said that, I wanted something clicky this year and just went to a Model F and probably won't ever go back to linear or cherry mx style switches.  Capacitive buckling spring is just so satisfying to type on, and I'm liking the sculpted keys for my fingers to rest on vs the thick flat pbt.  It makes cherry mx seem like toys, really. :p  P.S. - My son picked the emoji.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:44:36 by Hoaryhag »

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:19:01 »
     I used mx reds for 2 years on a Poker 2 with imsto thick pbt blanks.  I wanted a light linear switch.  Mx Reds seemed a little too light at first, my index finger kept inadvertently hitting the f key, so I ordered some Gateron blacks.  By the time I received the Gateron blacks, I had already adjusted to the reds, so I decided against the changeover.  Gaterons are definitely smoother but when typing at speed I didn't notice the grittiness of the mx reds so much.
     Having said that, I wanted something clicky this year and just went to a Model F and probably won't ever go back to linear or cherry mx style switches.  Capacitive buckling spring is just so satisfying to type on, and I'm liking the sculpted keys for my fingers to rest on vs the thick flat pbt.  It makes cherry mx seem like toys, really. :p  P.S. - My son picked the emoji.

:D It's kinda ironic because you're going from linear to clicky and I'm going from clicky to linear. Just personal preference, I find tactility or clicky feedback to be an interruption during typing. I experimented with switches and found out this: I like light switches but I bottom them out by nature, if I train my fingers to press them only to actuation instead it comes with the drawback of slowing my typing. I tried MX Blacks and Gateron blacks, didn't like them, it fought against my fingers and I ghost pressed numerous times. I'd say I can comfortably actuate 45-50 grams, maybe 55 grams, but any heavier and it's unpleasant to type on.
So I decided Topre or a Silent MX Red. It was a hard pick but I'm going with an option $100-150 cheaper than Topre, Silenced Topres was going to eat up 300 plus 50 to have it imported overseas!
Best Buy lured me in with it's 30 dollars off the keyboard so I was snagged into buying it, I got some PBT caps from the saved money instead of the hideous ABS caps (They should only serve as demonstration keycaps. Look up the STRAFE's keycaps, bring a barf bag).
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:23:31 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 23:02:05 »

:D It's kinda ironic because you're going from linear to clicky and I'm going from clicky to linear. Just personal preference, I find tactility or clicky feedback to be an interruption during typing. I experimented with switches and found out this: I like light switches but I bottom them out by nature, if I train my fingers to press them only to actuation instead it comes with the drawback of slowing my typing. I tried MX Blacks and Gateron blacks, didn't like them, it fought against my fingers and I ghost pressed numerous times. I'd say I can comfortably actuate 45-50 grams, maybe 55 grams, but any heavier and it's unpleasant to type on.
So I decided Topre or a Silent MX Red. It was a hard pick but I'm going with an option $100-150 cheaper than Topre, Silenced Topres was going to eat up 300 plus 50 to have it imported overseas!
Best Buy lured me in with it's 30 dollars off the keyboard so I was snagged into buying it, I got some PBT caps from the saved money instead of the hideous ABS caps (They should only serve as demonstration keycaps. Look up the STRAFE's keycaps, bring a barf bag).
If light linear is your thing, I think you made the wise decision.  Yeah, it's hard to find a keyboard without the fugly keycap syndrome anymore.  More money in their pockets I guess.  Topre = alotta money in their pockets. :))  Let us know how the board feels.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 03:23:08 »
I've used reds since 2008. After  using them years and trying to switch nothing comes close for me. The typos aren't a problem once you adjust. Having said that I kept buying Topre boards for the sound and selling them due to the feel (mostly found them slow in games as I like to hover the switch on the strafe keys) I just bought a silent red board and I'm totally in love with it. I get my feels right and the sound has a slight air of Topre about it.

This is not my video but this is what mine sounds like in my room

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 08:52:11 »
I've used reds since 2008. After  using them years and trying to switch nothing comes close for me. The typos aren't a problem once you adjust. Having said that I kept buying Topre boards for the sound and selling them due to the feel (mostly found them slow in games as I like to hover the switch on the strafe keys) I just bought a silent red board and I'm totally in love with it. I get my feels right and the sound has a slight air of Topre about it.

I HATE that it's generally assumed that the Cherry MX Red was designed as a gaming switch and should not be considered for typing. ALL Cherry Switches are made for typing (except for the Silver MX), in 2008 when they made the MX Red switch I doubt they had any interest in the gaming market back then.
The Cherry MX Red was designed in mind as a light linear switch for typing, some love it some hate it, it's personal preference and it's not designed for gaming.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 08:59:14 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 12:21:01 »
I was a diehard MX red user up until very recently. I like light linear switches, but once the MX silent red came out, I got spoiled by its quietness and now I can't go back to a normal red switch.

I also love a silenced Topre switch; with Hypersphere's rings installed, Topre switches have a very subtle tactility that makes it feel almost linear, but with just a teeny bit of "bite", which I love.

So as great as I think MX reds are, I think silent reds and silenced Topre are even better.

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:10:09 »
I was a diehard MX red user up until very recently. I like light linear switches, but once the MX silent red came out, I got spoiled by its quietness and now I can't go back to a normal red switch.

I also love a silenced Topre switch; with Hypersphere's rings installed, Topre switches have a very subtle tactility that makes it feel almost linear, but with just a teeny bit of "bite", which I love.

So as great as I think MX reds are, I think silent reds and silenced Topre are even better.

Speaking of Topre, I wonder what it would feel like if there was a ergonomic weighted Cherry MX keyboard. Hmm....

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 03:51:00 »

Speaking of Topre, I wonder what it would feel like if there was a ergonomic weighted Cherry MX keyboard. Hmm....

Tried it with purple (tactile) Zealios and Vintage MX Blacks using 62g, 65g and 68g Gold plated Korean springs. It's interesting but somehow more distracting than Topre approach as it's easier to feel the differences between the weights, while in Topre it feels more organic (there are variations in weights throughout the board anyways, remember +- 15g Topre variation).
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 05:30:49 »

Tried it with purple (tactile) Zealios and Vintage MX Blacks using 62g, 65g and 68g Gold plated Korean springs. It's interesting but somehow more distracting than Topre approach as it's easier to feel the differences between the weights, while in Topre it feels more organic (there are variations in weights throughout the board anyways, remember +- 15g Topre variation).

Oh yeah, just remembered Topre weighs their switches with rubber rather than the spring like Cherry or Alps.
Makes me more eager to know what an ergo Topre feels like, but I hope Cherry Pinks feel good when I get them in mail.  ;D

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 07:17:52 »

Oh yeah, just remembered Topre weighs their switches with rubber rather than the spring like Cherry or Alps.
Makes me more eager to know what an ergo Topre feels like, but I hope Cherry Pinks feel good when I get them in mail.  ;D

I think variable topre is my favourite. It's the most organic and inconsistency doesn't hurt it as much as in uniform 45g. Well there is also 55g which is super fun but gets tiring really quickly.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 08:38:55 »

I HATE that it's generally assumed that the Cherry MX Red was designed as a gaming switch and should not be considered for typing. ALL Cherry Switches are made for typing (except for the Silver MX), in 2008 when they made the MX Red switch I doubt they had any interest in the gaming market back then.
The Cherry MX Red was designed in mind as a light linear switch for typing, some love it some hate it, it's personal preference and it's not designed for gaming.

Agree, my main concern is with typing feel and I love them over other switches for that. The effortlessness when your on a flow with them is unmatched for me! if you don't touch any other switches for a while the errors become the same with any other switch. I think most don't give them enough time. red Silent have replaced reds for me. They are everything I could ask for in a switch. Now I get to rebuy all my boards with them!  :eek:

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 08:41:36 by Sencha »

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:06:20 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg2355634#msg2355634

I forgot to comment how it is sound-wise. It is stunningly silent, scratchy but the scratchiness becomes less noticeable with fast typing. 90-100 WPM and you can just barely hear the thock of the keycaps, with TV running in the background it was hard to hear the keyboard clatter. ~120 WPM is when the noise starts to show through, thought the light clacking of the keys was actually pleasant. Kind of like a silenced Model M/F key clack.

I hope when I get Kyrox 205 lube in the mail that the feel and sound of this keyboard shines even brighter.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:53:12 »
MX Silent Red provides a cushiony feel when you bottom out which IMO is quite similar to topre but it doesnt have the tactility offered by topre.

Mx Red is a no no. I have both gateron yellow and Mx Red and Mx Red is scratchy as hell when side by side compared to gateron yellow.

mx blue is still by far the most smooth mx switch.

Not so fast there.
It definitely varies between batches, as many people have complained about scratchy MX blues /RGB blues recenetly, but I did find my linear Nature Whites to be a bit scratchy also.

Some Corsair RGB blue early samples were horrible.  My iKBC F108 had pretty scratchy switches on some of them.  My ducky shine 6 blues are pretty good.  Same goes for the MX Greens on my Ducky Fire 69.

The MX Browns on my Ducky Year of the Goat are quite smooth for a MX switch and also feel naturally dampened.  While there is resistance when the stem touches the edge of the casing, I wouldn't exactly call that scratchy.  It's no gateron, but they're smooth enough to feel nice to me. 

The Green gaterons feel very smooth though.

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 14:39:31 »
Well, I'm back to mx reds on 60% for now and feeling awkward on it.  Left hand gettin sore with nothing to rest it on in gaming.  Never did get a wrist rest.  I think I'm happiest with a full size board and some feedback on the keys.  My blue cube adapter for my Model F met an untimely end at the hands of my  2 yr old.  Just a good excuse to get a converter from Orihalcon I guess. ;)

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 17:46:16 »
MX Silent Red provides a cushiony feel when you bottom out which IMO is quite similar to topre but it doesnt have the tactility offered by topre.

Mx Red is a no no. I have both gateron yellow and Mx Red and Mx Red is scratchy as hell when side by side compared to gateron yellow.

mx blue is still by far the most smooth mx switch.

Not so fast there.
It definitely varies between batches, as many people have complained about scratchy MX blues /RGB blues recenetly, but I did find my linear Nature Whites to be a bit scratchy also.

Some Corsair RGB blue early samples were horrible.  My iKBC F108 had pretty scratchy switches on some of them.  My ducky shine 6 blues are pretty good.  Same goes for the MX Greens on my Ducky Fire 69.

The MX Browns on my Ducky Year of the Goat are quite smooth for a MX switch and also feel naturally dampened.  While there is resistance when the stem touches the edge of the casing, I wouldn't exactly call that scratchy.  It's no gateron, but they're smooth enough to feel nice to me. 

The Green gaterons feel very smooth though.

How those Nature whites working out for ya? I thought about getting them in the new Ducky Shine but 55 grams of force still seem on the MX Black heaviness side. Why didn't they make them 50 grams instead? Would be a nice gap fill between Reds and Blacks.

Well, I'm back to mx reds on 60% for now and feeling awkward on it.  Left hand gettin sore with nothing to rest it on in gaming.  Never did get a wrist rest.  I think I'm happiest with a full size board and some feedback on the keys.  My blue cube adapter for my Model F met an untimely end at the hands of my  2 yr old.  Just a good excuse to get a converter from Orihalcon I guess. ;)

The MX Pink I have now feel pretty good, like pushing down pockets of air and I haven't even lubed them yet.

Offline zslane

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:46:09 »
The only linear switch I can imagine being better than a lubed MX pink would be a properly silenced (XMIT) Hall Effect switch.

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 15:52:08 »
The only linear switch I can imagine being better than a lubed MX pink would be a properly silenced (XMIT) Hall Effect switch.

Just lubed my pinks, I can barely hear the sound of keyboard now, it's incredibly quiet. Feels more smoother and consistent to type on too. Can't wait to work these babies in and never touch any other cherry switch ever again. Especially not rubber domes.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:17:01 »

Just lubed my pinks, I can barely hear the sound of keyboard now, it's incredibly quiet. Feels more smoother and consistent to type on too. Can't wait to work these babies in and never touch any other cherry switch ever again. Especially not rubber domes.

Please kindly explain how did you lube them? Are they plate mounted?

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 21:46:59 »

Dabbed each corner of the switch with a drop of a oil using the GPL 105's nozzle (I poked a pin-hole inside of the nozzle, from a small safety pin) and actuated the switch with a precision flathead (accidentally got some lubricant on my finger. Stuff's nasty, don't recommend touching it), the oil seeps inside of the switch and lubricates the housing of the switch. Then you clean the excess by dabbing away the oils with a q-tip or cotton ball. Yes and I tried these on two plate mounted keyboards, a G710+ and a Corsair STRAFE, all were noticeably quieter than usual after lubing. Only drawback is the oil probably doesn't seep and lubricate the spring or spring leaf.

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 February 2017, 21:56:16 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 07:09:32 »
Dabbed each corner of the switch with a drop of a oil using the GPL 105's nozzle (I poked a pin-hole inside of the nozzle, from a small safety pin) and actuated the switch with a precision flathead (accidentally got some lubricant on my finger. Stuff's nasty, don't recommend touching it), the oil seeps inside of the switch and lubricates the housing of the switch. Then you clean the excess by dabbing away the oils with a q-tip or cotton ball. Yes and I tried these on two plate mounted keyboards, a G710+ and a Corsair STRAFE, all were noticeably quieter than usual after lubing. Only drawback is the oil probably doesn't seep and lubricate the spring or spring leaf.

Show Image

Can you be more specific as to where exactly you placed the oil? Did you press down the stem and insert the nozzle inside to deposit oil?

The stem doesn't actually make any contact with the corners of the switch. It operates along sliders in the center.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:08:32 »

Can you be more specific as to where exactly you placed the oil? Did you press down the stem and insert the nozzle inside to deposit oil?

The stem doesn't actually make any contact with the corners of the switch. It operates along sliders in the center.

Best examples I can do with a phone for a camera.

Not a valid vimeo URL
Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline Entropia

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:33:43 »
I've recently found out that I love soft typing on my blacks (it's relaxing for me) and that I would enjoy this even more with reds. I don't know if I should go for traditional reds or silent reds. Not bottoming out, reds are already quite silent but actually I do like how reds sound and I have no problems with anyone complaining about typing sound. In this case, should I pick reds over silent reds? I like that reds are fast and crisp and I don't really want to loose those features. I don't want mushy feeling either. My next keyboard will be (almost decided) a Leopold FC980M and these switches sound amazing on the boards made by this manufacturer. I don't know if the reason is the thick PBT keycaps, the sound dampening pad... but listen to this, no cheap or plasticy sound, but deep, solid and satisfying:

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:59:02 by Entropia »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:40:18 »
A little late to the party but I am a linear guy and I juts got an HHKB. I enjoy the 45g topre but I still prefer my 62g thick lubed Gateron blacks over Topre. Good luck!

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 20:56:06 »
Considering switching my MX Pinks for Topre. No  tactile bump does slightly improve my typing speed but it introduces a whole ton of typing errors too, I might hop onto the tactile switch boat and stay there. FC980C looks drop dead gorgeous. The form factor, the layout, everything is sexy and perfect about her.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:11:31 by zpcomstock17 »