Author Topic: Extremely New to Keyboards— Need help identifying Key Sizes + backglow malfunction  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Volsairine

• hedonist
Hey guys! Sorry if this is silly, I'm super new to keyboards and I just have a few questions about what I received on my first keyboard.

I purchased this earlier this year because I was interested in an xd64. I purchased one secondhand from r/mechmarket and I love it so far (even though the backglow stopped working and I have no idea how to fix it :/)

But I just was curious, the seller said this was DSA, so would I need to buy DSA sets for this keyboard? Also I was told by the seller that that the shift keys are not traditional sizing. I'm looking to buy a new keycap set so I want to know what size these keys are considered to be so that I can make sure the set I buy has them :) Also are there any other keys on here that are not traditional sizing that I need to look for when trying to buy a new keycap set? Thanks in advance!

PS: if someone wants to tell me how to fix my backglow as well, pls let me know lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
if you want to keep using the existing keycaps you need DSA, but any keycaps that work with cherry switches will work with this

this shifts are 2u and 1u on this board, the traditional (standard) sizes are 2.25u and 2.75u, or 2.25u, 1.75u, and 1u for split right shift

2u shift is pretty common on most modern sets so it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle

no idea how to fix the underglow tho, sorry

and snotgirl is a good comic
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Volsairine

• hedonist
if you want to keep using the existing keycaps you need DSA, but any keycaps that work with cherry switches will work with this

this shifts are 2u and 1u on this board, the traditional (standard) sizes are 2.25u and 2.75u, or 2.25u, 1.75u, and 1u for split right shift

2u shift is pretty common on most modern sets so it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle

Awesome, thanks for helping me out. Last thing, are my other keys normal sized? I've seen a few keysets where the backspace looks longer than the one I have, I posted GMK camping for reference. Is that just my mind or is mine smaller than normal?

Also, I love it and I recommend it to everyone who asks what I read! If you haven't read O'Malley's book "Seconds"? Highly recommend!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing

Awesome, thanks for helping me out. Last thing, are my other keys normal sized? I've seen a few keysets where the backspace looks longer than the one I have, I posted GMK camping for reference. Is that just my mind or is mine smaller than normal?

Also, I love it and I recommend it to everyone who asks what I read! If you haven't read O'Malley's book "Seconds"? Highly recommend!
Show Image

Your bottom row is a bit weird with 2x 1u before the arrows, but should be completely fine with a modpack order on top of the base kit from a GB. If you are unsure, ask in thread or PM someone and they will be glad to help :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

Show Image

oh yeah whoa a lot of those keys are wacky

you've got split backspace and a funky bottom row

i haven't read it but i'm sure i'll get around to it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90