Author Topic: What's your favorite Bookholder?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline wellington1869

What's your favorite Bookholder?
« on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 15:31:13 »
Looking for ideas. I've tried a lot of them. Like mouse traps, everyone seems to have a better idea (which then doesnt quite measure up to the hype).  
Specifically, what I'm looking for lately is a book holder that successfully holds open paperbacks of various sizes - and here's the kicker - while I'm in bed typing on a lapdesk. Oh, and the pages have to be relatively easy to turn.
(I'm asking for the impossible, I know :)

But would like to hear what book holder has worked for you in general.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline djones

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 November 2008, 19:55:13 »
I use one of these:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/the_laptop_stand

The nice thing is that it can attach to a standard camera tripod, so you a lot of freedom in positioning and height adjustment. I also have a 3m DH640 document holder on my desk... not as adjustable but it has a little rubber cord thing that can holder books open. (come to think of it, I could probably add a piece of rubber cord to the laptop stand to make it hold books open....)

edit: in fact, yea! I just took the elastic cord off of a filing folder like this: http://www.oppictures.com/singleimages/400/SMD77256_1_1.JPG and it fits perfectly around my laptop stand. perfect!

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 November 2008, 19:57:18 »
books != notebooks

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline lam47

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 November 2008, 20:02:13 »
Im really really sorry.

Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 November 2008, 20:25:53 »
Agreed. I use a document holder for applying edits and home and work but have never used a book holder except at the library where they have the yummy unabridged dictionaries.

Offline djones

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 November 2008, 20:29:36 »
Quote from: lowpoly;11361
books != notebooks

you realize that a laptop stand is physically capable of holding things other than laptops?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 00:14:19 »
Quote from: djones;11360
I use one of these:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/the_laptop_stand

The nice thing is that it can attach to a standard camera tripod, so you a lot of freedom in positioning and height adjustment. I also have a 3m DH640 document holder on my desk... not as adjustable but it has a little rubber cord thing that can holder books open. (come to think of it, I could probably add a piece of rubber cord to the laptop stand to make it hold books open....)

edit: in fact, yea! I just took the elastic cord off of a filing folder like this: http://www.oppictures.com/singleimages/400/SMD77256_1_1.JPG and it fits perfectly around my laptop stand. perfect!

this sounds like a great idea. I like that it stands on a tripod.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 00:14:56 »
Quote from: lam47;11363
Im really really sorry.

pretty funny lam ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 November 2008, 00:17:59 »
I wound up buying one of these.

I'm not holding my breath but its gotten positive reviews and if its at all functional  it has the advantages of being inexpensive and compact.