Author Topic: Rich Text Format  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Altis

Rich Text Format
« on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:35:57 »
I'm wondering if anyone here regularly (or occasionally) uses .RTF for their document files.

I've lately found it really useful for information documents that are relatively short (~3 pages) with some nice headers and simple formatting. The files are much smaller and faster to load and transfer which is good for what I use them for.

It seems like a pretty decent way to store text if you want something with some formatting options beyond a .TXT file.

What do you like/dislike about it?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Rich Text Format
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:33:37 »
Curiously Apple's TextEdit (default text editor application) defaults to saving as RTF.

However I prefer plain text files, which I can easily edit using a GUI tool or a command line utility.

And at work "Microsoft Word 2010" has been chosen as the company standard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:49:49 »
I pretty much only use plain text files. I think some of my coworkers kinda hate it, but being a dev, I don't really see the need for anything else.

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 23:14:47 »
I'm with you both in my preference for plain text files. They're simply great to work with.

It's when you need a bit more formatting options (for other users, in particular) that RTF can be like the plain text of document files... Small, simple, and easily read by most applications.

I'm just interested to see if others use it and how. I had a professor a few years ago who insisted we use it for submissions, though he didn't give much reason why.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:20:44 »
IIRC the implementation isn't consistent across different apps. Either way, I always use extended Markdown and have it converted to HTML or PDF (via LaTeX), when necessary.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:12:27 »
I'm with you both in my preference for plain text files. They're simply great to work with.

It's when you need a bit more formatting options (for other users, in particular) that RTF can be like the plain text of document files... Small, simple, and easily read by most applications.

I'm just interested to see if others use it and how. I had a professor a few years ago who insisted we use it for submissions, though he didn't give much reason why.

I've also had a professor require RTF format... interesting.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:44:26 »
When we had mixed win3.1 and win95 systems, we were using rtfs to save MS Write documents so that both platforms could read it.

Since then we're just using open office and non-xml ms format.  Although I'll save any notes as a good old txt file--best portable format ever.  Even the Commodore 64 can read them!

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:05:30 »

I've also had a professor require RTF format... interesting.

I think the reason he had was to avoid potential viruses as there was no macro-execution in RTF unlike DOC, though file size could also have been a factor.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 12:20:25 »
I've been saving small files and notes in doc and odt format for years, without realizing how much larger these files are compared to txt or rtf.  Silly me.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:08:53 »
I have lots and lots of text files for all kinds of purposes.

I try to write new text files in Markdown syntax.
Markdown is actually a codification of several text file conventions that people have been using for several decades, and personally I would have chosen a slightly different syntax for some things.
🍉

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:16:14 »
I use RTF to collaborate.

The people I work with run a range of systems and a range of skill levels.  The work we need to collaborate on are reports with very specific formatting.  We do this in LaTeX but not everyone is comfortable with that.  RTF is an easy output from most LaTeX editors and can be read by all systems without issue.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:13:29 »
I use RST (reStructured Text) and VIM. If necessary and for collaboration, I convert it using docutils (python tool) to html, rtf, pdf, latex, or whatever. I also write e-courses in RST and have sphinx (python doc tool) generate the whole html page for me. So for me, RST is extremely versatile.

I hate really **hate** being reliant on legacy software AND not being able to open what is basically text with some basic formatting in a text editor or in the terminal.

For my work, I've had multiple cases where we simply didn't had the software lying around to open legacy docs. That made me switch to RST for once and for good.

For heavier formatting, I just use LaTeX. But that is too much hassle for your needs I guess.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g