Author Topic: [IC] TD65 - A 65% w/ macro keys, rotary encoder, & OLED (rendings added)  (Read 8145 times)

Offline ZonFire99

This is my first time designing a layout. I call it the Think Different 65 or TD65. The idea is a 65% with 3 macro keys on the left and a rotary encoder above them. This design would also sport a OLED display on the right side.

I would really like to see something like this come together but I wanted to get some feedback first

As for rendering an actual board, I try getting something together. I am hoping for a 6 or 7 degree angle

I tried doing what I could in Blender. Attached is the blender file if someone wanted to give it a shot since I have no idea what I'm doing  :))

241549-0

242008-1

242010-2
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:57:38 by ZonFire99 »

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
Re: [IC] TD65 - A 65% with some extras
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:26:35 »
do you have any ideas of some more specifics you'd like to see if this layout was turned into a board? mount type, angle, front height etc?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:28:24 by toastyAU »
Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:26:57 »
hey there looks interesting! do you have more images or what it could possibly be?

and also some views of how you would like to move forward with your design and what else that needs to be done maybe? :D

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:27:56 »
I like the layout itself, but we need much more info about the board itself, other than from the layout.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline goddream

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:33:36 »
in terms of the layout, definitely interesting and thinking different!

however, to me it looks a little messy and wastes a lot of space -

consider shortening right shift .25u so you can bring arrow cluster in line with the mods

consider abandoning the left macro column and moving the oled to that side - this will give you a clean 660 design with extra rotary and oled on the left - you could even still have a full macro column on the left, with the rotary and oled shifted an extra column over! or alternatively, abandon the 3 keys above the arrow cluster and move the oled in line. I think these would give you a more balanced and aesthetic board.

interested to see where this goes!
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:36:02 »
I agree with the comment above!

Please work on this a bit more, and don't make this end up like other ICs for GMK sets...

Offline pengoot02

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:37:16 »
go on tell me more

Offline ZonFire99

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:03:49 »
I'll see what I can do about some 3D rendering with Blender. It'll be my first time using it. If this picks up and there is a crap ton of interest, I will reach out to Cannon Keys or Graystudio about maybe putting this design into light. I've updated the layout after getting some feedback about the arrow cluster to save some space. At this point I am just the designer but I am willing to go into the some new territory to get this thing rolling

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:13:51 »
I'll see what I can do about some 3D rendering with Blender. It'll be my first time using it. If this picks up and there is a crap ton of interest, I will reach out to Cannon Keys or Graystudio about maybe putting this design into light. I've updated the layout after getting some feedback about the arrow cluster to save some space. At this point I am just the designer but I am willing to go into the some new territory to get this thing rolling
I think you should make a poll along the lines on materials, layout, angles, etc.

Offline mydens

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:56:37 »
Get rid of the meta, and oled button and

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 10:12:54 »
Has hype potential!

Offline ZonFire99

Re: [IC] TD65 - A 65% with macro keys, rotary encoder, and oled display
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:37:19 »
just updated the pseudo render to make it easier on the eyes and to again save space. I've reached out to 1 person on their thoughts about putting this together. Will update as more information comes 

Offline ThinPen

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:58:14 »
It's an interesting idea but the layout looks a bit disorganized. I would prefer if the macros were removed and the OLED display and rotary encoder were together. Something like like would probably make for a cleaner look: https://imgur.com/0s4FUby
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:00:07 by ThinPen »

Offline ZonFire99

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:36:34 »
It's an interesting idea but the layout looks a bit disorganized. I would prefer if the macros were removed and the OLED display and rotary encoder were together. Something like like would probably make for a cleaner look: https://imgur.com/0s4FUby
Show Image

The idea behind where the OLED and rotary encoder was were placed was so the user can utilizes the macro section while still having there hand on the mouse.

Offline ThinPen

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:52:30 »
Show Image

The idea behind where the OLED and rotary encoder was were placed was so the user can utilizes the macro section while still having there hand on the mouse.

I see what you're saying. That makes sense. Though I think it could use a more clean look still. Both the sides with the macros (left) and spaced nav keys (right) makes it look uneven. I tried another mock up layout here: https://imgur.com/2j7G5CK
I hope this isn't read as negative. I genuinely like the idea. My overall suggestion is to really make it more balanced to the eye.

Offline TheHMan

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:49:10 »
I really like this layout and the shifted arrow keys. I think that it might look better if on the bottom row you used 1.5u keys instead of 1.25u by the arrow keys, to make the gap a bit smaller than it is right now. And maybe fill out the entire right macro column to even it out.

Offline Mike2046

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:22:42 »
It looks uncannily similar to a design I have been working on. I would definitely keep an eye on this.

Offline ZonFire99

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:41:10 »
I really like this layout and the shifted arrow keys. I think that it might look better if on the bottom row you used 1.5u keys instead of 1.25u by the arrow keys, to make the gap a bit smaller than it is right now. And maybe fill out the entire right macro column to even it out.

I'll try updating the design with that to see how it looks. I'm going to have some time this weekend to get Blender figured out. I have yet to hear back from Cannon Keys, probably busy with one of their projects. I'll try and reach out to Drop but I have some serious doubts that they will pick up this project

Offline 28.8kbps

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 16:41:33 »
I like this but the current setup doesn’t allow for ISO.

Maybe move the arrow keys in so you could do an ANSI & ISO compatible board?

Offline jjoejimmy

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:00:11 »
I'll try updating the design with that to see how it looks. I'm going to have some time this weekend to get Blender figured out. I have yet to hear back from Cannon Keys, probably busy with one of their projects. I'll try and reach out to Drop but I have some serious doubts that they will pick up this project

Do note that Cannon Keys is a vendor and not a manufacturer. I think you should have a prototype in hand before reaching out to them.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:22:14 »
Show Image

I see what you're saying. That makes sense. Though I think it could use a more clean look still. Both the sides with the macros (left) and spaced nav keys (right) makes it look uneven. I tried another mock up layout here: https://imgur.com/2j7G5CK
I hope this isn't read as negative. I genuinely like the idea. My overall suggestion is to really make it more balanced to the eye.

I don't mind the "uneveness"...imo, it actually makes the board look more interesting...really like Thinpen's layout!

Offline BreezyR

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 18:06:59 »
Might as well add a 4th macro button if there’s space and idk about the Oled placement, looks like it could fit in that space between the arrow keys and the rest of the keys. Or be a bar going down the side of the keyboard.

Interesting concept though, has potential to be a really cool board. I’m just particular about balance and wasted space.