Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 873655 times)

Offline Internetlad

Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 14:01:37 »
big patch for CIV V just dropped. Quite a few tweaks and apparently, performance upgrades.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #601 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 15:35:01 »
Still waiting for Gods and Kings to go on sale. Come on Steam, it's been out long enough  :mad:

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #602 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:56:11 »
I got it gifted to me on release from a buddy who I did a favour for a while back (got him a game of similar value from a 4 pack). It has been out a while and I was surprised they didn't have a sale after XCOM Launched (or maybe that's why they aren't having a sale) because each pre-order of XCOM came with a copy of CIV V.

GaK is a good addition, though. It adds a lot of stuff that was removed from IV and jut enough new features and tweaks to make it worth it.

IDK If it's worth 30 bucks. It would be a fair value at 20 IMO because so much of the added content is stuff you'd expect from a patch (they fixed city states/Diplo victory and rolled it into the DLC instead of a vanilla patch? Weak, firaxis.)

CIV V and myself have a love-hate relationship.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #603 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 19:43:08 »
Hotline Miami. Everyone should be playing this.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #604 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:39:19 »
Roommate bought Assassins Creed III but he has lots of tests coming up so he's letting me play it  :D It's really great so far, but I'm already a huge fan of the series, so I expected as much haha.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #605 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 00:39:19 »

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:59:25 »
I'm going to play Hotline Miami this weekend hopefully. It looks like a very frustrating yet rewarding game since everyone can supposedly one shot kill you but you can't do the same to them.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
What computer games do you play?
« Reply #607 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 05:33:51 »
I play a lot of retro nes snes sega games, along with some handhelds gba and ds but mainly play wow d3 gw2 and many indie games. ^_^
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline winzds

« Reply #608 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:53:41 »
cs go
diablo3

Offline concertomi

« Reply #609 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 04:58:36 »
Favorite would have to be Starcraft 2, can't wait for HoTS. A little bit of Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 here and there.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #610 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 19:21:38 »
Hotline Miami

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #611 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 21:49:34 »
Wow, I heard people say it's hard, and I was like "Pfffffft! Hard game. Yeah right...." after playing Hotline Miami for 2 hours, Man I have a new favorite game. It's adrenaline inspiring for sure.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #612 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 03:47:44 »
GW2, Dota 2, LoL, BF3. :(
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #613 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 09:52:22 »
Hotline Miami is awesome. It's not that difficult but it surely is a lot of fun. ^-^
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline tufty

« Reply #614 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 10:49:40 »
Gridrunner, by llamasoft. Mac / iOS, fun, furious and costs next to nothing.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #615 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:15:17 »
It's as hard as you make it for yourself really. If you want to get high scores and use specific masks then some parts can be difficult, but if you're not fussed about your rating and use the most useful mask for a given level then it's not too demanding. I didn't really want to use the more powerful masks as it seemed borderline cheating, but in the end one stage of one level (second section of "Assault") eventually made me cave and use the quiet gunshots mask.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #616 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:47:05 »
an old clannie gifted me DOTA 2 from a 4 pack he bought. I insisted that I "Probably wouldn't like it" since i'm "Not into RTS besides WiC and CoH (Relatable as it's real life weapons)

Boy was I wrong. Quite fun and I think i've put in 6 or so hours in the 3 days i've played it.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #617 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:09:53 »
It's as hard as you make it for yourself really. If you want to get high scores and use specific masks then some parts can be difficult, but if you're not fussed about your rating and use the most useful mask for a given level then it's not too demanding. I didn't really want to use the more powerful masks as it seemed borderline cheating, but in the end one stage of one level (second section of "Assault") eventually made me cave and use the quiet gunshots mask.

Lol, I thought the masks were just for looks. It's not that the gameplay is "difficult" as much as it is frustrating with trial and error, but really rewarding since you don't get to save (only saves each floor of the building you clear) after you kill a bunch of dudes you just look around panting like "****, ****, ****, **** I KNOW that wasn't the last guy....."

And the soundtrack is amazing! Volume++++ when you play Hotline Miami, after a few hours you will be tired with bloodshot eyes, lol. In a good way

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #618 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 11:41:33 »
I'm still on the fence about hotline miami. I'll probably get it on the first 50% off sale.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #619 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 12:04:02 »
Everything.

I'm working through my backlog at the moment, which is about 90 games long. I'm currently playing Dead Rising 2 (Not a fan), They Bleed Pixels, and Sequence. These are between bouts of leauge of legends and borderlands 2, which I play with friends. Also, I played nitronic rush last night, which if you like racing games, you should check out.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #620 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 12:11:29 »

I also thought the masks were just for looks. How do you find out which mask is useful for what?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #621 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:43:10 »
Got into a bit of an arguement with a work acquaintance because he's under the impression that "If you ask any Modern Warfare (lol) player, they'll pick console over PC any day"

Not sure if he was just trolling me but that's the stupidest ****in thing I've ever heard. NO FPS is better played than with a keyboard and a mouse.

Sports games, Driving games and maybe Flying games are better on the controller than the keyboard and that's it. Even the Driving and Flying games have their own peripherals if you care enough that are light years ahead of those little nubs.

/rant
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:59:39 by Internetlad »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #622 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:50:03 »
Got into a bit of an arguement with a work acquaintance because he's under the impression that "If you ask any Modern Warfare (lol) player, they'll pick console over PC any day"

Not sure if he was just trolling me but that's the stupidest ****in thing I've ever heard. NO FPS is better played with a keyboard and a mouse.

Sports games, Driving games and maybe Flying games are better on the controller than the keyboard and that's it. Even the Driving and Flying games have their own peripherals if you care enough that are light years ahead of those little nubs.

/rant

This, although I think you meant to say that no FPS is better played with a controller than with a KB/mouse.
My brother keeps wanting me to play Halo with him, but every time I do it just doesn't feel fun. I keep saying it's like playing a driving sim with a keyboard. Pointless.
To me playing most FPS games with a console controller defeats the purpose of playing the FPS in the first place.
Also, as fun as some of they CoD games have been, I've learned to never take the games nor the playerbase seriously. Needless to say, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when they had a stream for the MLG finals of BLops on Xbox.

Not saying those who enjoy console FPS games are wrong, unless they claim using a controller is a superior way of playing. I even play some single player FPS games with a controller, although that's more to do with the game being outright unfriendly to mice, like BioShock.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #623 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:00:22 »
This, although I think you meant to say that no FPS is better played with a controller than with a KB/mouse.

Right, fixed that in the post to "no FPS is better played than with a KB/M"

that's more to do with the game being outright unfriendly to mice, like BioShock.

Maybe that's why I disliked Bioshock but my wife loved it.

I didn't even bother finishing it. Played probably 80 percent of the story and just quit.

Admittedly, I do play GoW3 with my BIL on occasion. The controls are stiff and clunky and I hate how slow it takes people to turn around (or how they just whip in circles when you touch the joystick if you crank the sensitivity)

It makes me laugh so hard when you see people using those FPS FREEK analog stick elongators (Basically clamps that make the sticks longer) or go so far as to mod their XBOX controller. What's the point?

I'd love to get a KB/M on 360, go into call of duty [year] and just outshoot everybody. angry 12 year olds everywhere.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:05:19 by Internetlad »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #624 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:06:32 »

Right, fixed that in the post to "no FPS is better played than with a KB/M"

that's more to do with the game being outright unfriendly to mice, like BioShock.

Maybe that's why I disliked Bioshock but my wife loved it.

I didn't even bother finishing it. Played probably 80 percent of the story and just quit.
My girlfriend is a massive massive fan of the first BioShock game and has played it several times.
Me, on the other hand... I haven't even gotten halfway because it's too scary so it's easier to go play TF2 or something instead of BioShock.
Doesn't help that I'm generally bad at finishing SP games.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #625 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:22:51 »
My girlfriend is a massive massive fan of the first BioShock game and has played it several times.
Me, on the other hand... I haven't even gotten halfway because it's too scary so it's easier to go play TF2 or something instead of BioShock.

I just didn't much care for the plot. I think I watched the ending sequence when my wife (then girlfriend) was playing and I was like "oh what's his name is the big bad. What a twist."

Maybe it was just me in that regard, but I didn't feel there was any notable story. Maybe it's because I've played games like TES where there's literally this whole nerdy world built around the game, or HL2 where the whole story is seamlessly woven around you while never leaving First Person or losing control of your character. (If valve wants you to look somewhere they'll trick you into watching the first person cutscene. They'll make a strange sound or something and you'll think "what's that" and look over there.)

Bioshock just felt like "here's a spooky underground city, here's a wrench, you work it out."

also

WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS

OF VALUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #626 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:34:58 »
My cheeks are clenched with anticipation for Bioshock Infinite next month. Ken Levine postponed the release of the game a year and a half even after the press gave glowing reviews to the closed press demo. A man of perfection.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #627 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:53:28 »
My cheeks are clenched with anticipation for Bioshock Infinite next month. Ken Levine postponed the release of the game a year and a half even after the press gave glowing reviews to the closed press demo. A man of perfection.

he probably figured there weren't nearly enough ziplines.

Elizabeth (I think her name is elizabeth) is tres belle. INB4 rule34

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #628 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 17:02:37 »
World of Warcraft and looking into BO2 for PC or Xbox

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #629 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 00:45:54 »
People who are so sure of the notion that "console is better than pc" have no idea that in reality they are both .... computers and that they are just marketed at different audiences.

To everyone on this thread, if you haven't played Amnesia: The Dark Descent --- you must. I am going to replay it after I beat Hotline Miami....

Offline Lanx

« Reply #630 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 07:06:24 »

I just didn't much care for the plot. I think I watched the ending sequence when my wife (then girlfriend) was playing and I was like "oh what's his name is the big bad. What a twist."

Maybe it was just me in that regard, but I didn't feel there was any notable story. Maybe it's because I've played games like TES where there's literally this whole nerdy world built around the game, or HL2 where the whole story is seamlessly woven around you while never leaving First Person or losing control of your character. (If valve wants you to look somewhere they'll trick you into watching the first person cutscene. They'll make a strange sound or something and you'll think "what's that" and look over there.)

Bioshock just felt like "here's a spooky underground city, here's a wrench, you work it out."

also

WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS
Show Image

OF VALUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE!

You know why "YOU" didn't feel like there wasn't any notable story or that the "twist" wasn't so great? it's because "YOU" weren't pushed and pulled for 16hrs, and then you find out... "would you kindly".

gonna reiterate that i'm not flaming or anything, just trying to illustrate that there's a different perspective of the player vs. the watcher, even the wife is equally scared as i am when i play resident evil, and she says "keep playing i want to see the rest".

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #631 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:25:07 »
People who are so sure of the notion that "console is better than pc" have no idea that in reality they are both .... computers and that they are just marketed at different audiences.

To everyone on this thread, if you haven't played Amnesia: The Dark Descent --- you must. I am going to replay it after I beat Hotline Miami....

I played the first bit of it. I got the lantern and read some letters. It seems well thought out but it just didn't hold my attention. I preferred to play it in the dark and "get into the atmosphere" but due to the fact that it was summer it would get dark around 9:00 PM and the kids would be going to bed around that time, so when I finally sat down to play it would be 9:30-10:00 and I would only play for an hour or so before bed. I do intend to finish it, but it didn't get me addicted.

It does seem fun, though.

On the subject of Bioshock, I think another reason I disliked it is because I was playing on Hard, and I was constantly running out of ammo because the enemies weren't any smarter, just had more HP, so fighting big daddies was just running backwards in circles shooting at them.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #632 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:57:05 »
What kept me going was the puzzles / monster evasion. Maybe you are still in the "training" area --- there isn't really a designated training area, but I felt like the first chapter was just for introducing all the elements of the game. After about half way through the game, the story was very intriguing (started to really look for the journal pages, so I could hear the next narration.) DEFINITELY have to play in the dark, in complete isolation. This is the only way to really achieve the "scream like a b1tch" effect ;)

o_0 just remembered the part with the invisible "monster" that you only know where he is because of his footsteps. God, that creeped me out.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #633 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:06:09 »
What kept me going was the puzzles / monster evasion. Maybe you are still in the "training" area

I'm quite sure I am. I think I just barely saw the first "monster" walking around and the game is telling you to hide from it. I had the lantern and solved a simple puzzle, so I may have just finshed that.

It get dark around the time I get off work nowadays, I might revisit it.

On another note, i've been daydreaming a lot about STALKER lately. I might have to revisit that one as well (played through the original twice and both sequels once.)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #634 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 08:59:21 »
Picked up Mark Of The Ninja on Steam. I am thoroughly impressed by the mechanics design of this game, just wow. So well thought out. Definitely recommended.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #635 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 18:34:05 »
Picked up Mark Of The Ninja on Steam. I am thoroughly impressed by the mechanics design of this game, just wow. So well thought out. Definitely recommended.

it on weekend sale? I barely pay attention to that anymore since you pay 5 bucks for the game but then all the DLC is the same price LOL

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #636 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 00:37:37 »
There likely won't be any DLC, it's an indie game. I got it for 9.99 but I think it's 14.99 now.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:22:29 »
There likely won't be any DLC, it's an indie game. I got it for 9.99 but I think it's 14.99 now.
Indie or not has nothing to do with it; Dungeon Defenders.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #638 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:59:05 »
sanctum, binding of isaac, DLC Quest (ironically), et al.

Anyways, I just mean that I barely pay attention to the deals on steam anymore. They used to be really lucrative, but now it's a game I don't want, already own or have never heard of for 10 bucks instead of 20 and often to fully appreciate the game you have to get 5 addons that cost more than the deal itself lol.

I find myself buying games and never playing them, and now that i'm getting into DOTA 2 I doubt that will be changing any time soon.

That's all I was saying.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #639 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 12:12:39 »
The Binding of Isaac only has one cheap DLC that, at least from my point of view, adds content for those who have played it through and want more. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when I play the game without the DLC. I'm okay with that.
What annoys me is the DLC for games like Magicka, DD and Sanctum where the DLC gives you different ways to play the game from the get-go and, like you mentioned, you feel that you need those to get the complete experience.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 12:28:51 »
same feeling here about Binding of Isacc, it adds a bunch of content, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game, esp since the game requires so much time without the DLC. In fact, because the DLC makes the game harder, I would honestly say that you should play it without the DLC first, until you've unlocked a good number of the items so that you actually stand a reasonable chance.

There are other "indy-ish" games that have DLC that do it right though. I really liked how Killing Floor only had cosmetic DLC (until the most recent DLC set that is). So you never lost out by not buying DLC, but if you wanted more than basic customization it was a couple bucks. I'm less happy that they released a "weapon pack DLC", but at the same time the guns don't remove playability or make it impossible to get any achievements, they just add some silly options to the gameplay, like a buzzsaw crossbow, so i see that as more acceptable.

The DLC for DD and Magica piss me off, because they serve the same function map packs for big AAA titles do, which is to largely segment the playerbase, or nickle and dime you.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 17:02:07 »
sanctum, binding of isaac, DLC Quest (ironically), et al.

Anyways, I just mean that I barely pay attention to the deals on steam anymore. They used to be really lucrative, but now it's a game I don't want, already own or have never heard of for 10 bucks instead of 20 and often to fully appreciate the game you have to get 5 addons that cost more than the deal itself lol.

I find myself buying games and never playing them, and now that i'm getting into DOTA 2 I doubt that will be changing any time soon.

That's all I was saying.

The good deals can be had on Steam during the summer and winter holiday sales, with both AAA and indie titles for sale at 75-80% off. I don't think I'll be buying anything in the near future though. Ever since I got into SC2, and more recently Dota 2, there's not much else I want to play. I still have over 20 games that I haven't played once and probably never will.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #642 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 16:09:20 »
I will never play Dota 2 simply out of spite. All my buddies got keys within a few weeks of signing up and stopped playing almost immediately. I entered the beta key essay contest almost 2 years ago, then later singed up for the beta key list . 8 months later I get my key. So much spite. Apparently 4+ years as a tester is not enough of a qualification ಠ_ಠ

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #643 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 16:49:08 »
The good deals can be had on Steam during the summer and winter holiday sales, with both AAA and indie titles for sale at 75-80% off. I don't think I'll be buying anything in the near future though. Ever since I got into SC2, and more recently Dota 2, there's not much else I want to play. I still have over 20 games that I haven't played once and probably never will.

Thing is i've been a member since like 2006 and have got like 300 games in my library, so the packs aren't worth it since I already own half the games in them, only ones I get in those sales is the newer ones that are on good sales, which are slimmer pickings than you might think. I don't much care for incremental games, and the only games that have come out recently that I much care to play are ACIII and FC3. I already picked up XCOM.

Sorry to hear that noisyturtle. It's really a rather fun game, but not having played the original I don't know how it compares. At least you got a key, eh?

Chin up, stiff upper lip and all that, wot.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #644 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 17:40:32 »
I will never play Dota 2 simply out of spite. All my buddies got keys within a few weeks of signing up and stopped playing almost immediately. I entered the beta key essay contest almost 2 years ago, then later singed up for the beta key list . 8 months later I get my key. So much spite. Apparently 4+ years as a tester is not enough of a qualification ಠ_ಠ
I'm very sorry they did that to you, noisyturtle. I hope you find consolation in the fact that I don't play it either.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #645 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 19:36:14 »
I've been playing Trine and it is a fantastic game. It looks amazing, plays great and the 3 characters work great; all 3 are equally useful.

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #646 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 19:53:41 »
I play anything good... hit me up on Steam @ Terrorsathan

What I'm really into latley...

Project Cars
F1 2012
Chivalry : Medieval Warfare
CS::GO
Borderlands 2
BF3 (not so much anymore, but I will be when Aftermath DLC comes out)

also downloaded Planetside 2 today, but haven't tried it yet.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow GH'er that also bought into PCars.

Here are some screen shots from PCars (amazing racing sim in development currently)

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:56:07 by Terrorsathan »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #647 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:30:29 »
I have so many games on steam and I never turn on my computer these days...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #648 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 15:16:48 »
I play anything good... hit me up on Steam @ Terrorsathan

What I'm really into latley...

Project Cars
F1 2012
Chivalry : Medieval Warfare
CS::GO
Borderlands 2
BF3 (not so much anymore, but I will be when Aftermath DLC comes out)

also downloaded Planetside 2 today, but haven't tried it yet.

It'd be cool to meet up with a fellow GH'er that also bought into PCars.

Here are some screen shots from PCars (amazing racing sim in development currently)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

when does project cars come out ?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #649 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 18:35:33 »
8323-0
this, and Planetside 2 is installing right now
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:41:35 by Flip »