Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 872846 times)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #1050 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 06:08:12 »
I started playing Everquest on the Rallos Zek PVP server in 1999.

I got a marketing email from Sony in early 2011 about a new expansion, which is weird because I hadn’t heard really anything about EQ since I had stopped playing in 02 (no marketing emails, etc).

I downloaded the game, called customer support, and was able to re-activate my account after it being inactive for eight years. My main toon was there with all his gear, even survived a server merge when they combined all three PVP servers into one.

I leveled him solo to current content then transferred to a blue server (PVP is all about burn dps now and isn’t any fun, unless of course you are a high AA burn DPS class)

I've been playing steady since then, raid 3x a week on Povar on end game content. I hang out with a small group of folks that I've gotten to know very well over the last two years and work through whatever content/achievements on non raid nights/days. Even bought a second account to box and nearly capped that toon.

It’s a huge time sink on relatively dated graphics but the game is really enjoyable with an insanely dedicated fanbase and always a huge challenge. New expansion every year now, up to 19, at one point it was one every 6 months.

After I re-started playing that I stopped messing with really any other game. I never got into any other MMO, WoW, etc.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1051 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:57:50 »
I started playing Everquest on the Rallos Zek PVP server in 1999.

I got a marketing email from Sony in early 2011 about a new expansion, which is weird because I hadn’t heard really anything about EQ since I had stopped playing in 02 (no marketing emails, etc).

I downloaded the game, called customer support, and was able to re-activate my account after it being inactive for eight years. My main toon was there with all his gear, even survived a server merge when they combined all three PVP servers into one.

I leveled him solo to current content then transferred to a blue server (PVP is all about burn dps now and isn’t any fun, unless of course you are a high AA burn DPS class)

I've been playing steady since then, raid 3x a week on Povar on end game content. I hang out with a small group of folks that I've gotten to know very well over the last two years and work through whatever content/achievements on non raid nights/days. Even bought a second account to box and nearly capped that toon.

It’s a huge time sink on relatively dated graphics but the game is really enjoyable with an insanely dedicated fanbase and always a huge challenge. New expansion every year now, up to 19, at one point it was one every 6 months.

After I re-started playing that I stopped messing with really any other game. I never got into any other MMO, WoW, etc.

That's similar to my experience with Aardwolf.  I stopped playing it for like 15 years, found it again, and somehow guessed my name and password correctly, and there my character was, in the spot I left it with everything intact.  I just didn't have a clue what I was doing, what I had, or how to play the game anymore. :P

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1052 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:12:07 »
eradicatedZombie just hooked it up with Dota 2! I'll leave my comparison to LoL here once I've played about 10 matches.

gooo heart of the swarm its soo cool.

I know right! I just beat the campaign... Multiplayer is a complete nightmare because I'm such a horrible n00b.... I get trampled before I have half a clue as to what's even going on.... There's SO MUCH to learn in SC2 it's kind of a ridiculous learning curve, especially for someone like me who's barely scratching the surface of an already WELL-known RTS.

Star Craft Noobs! Unite! Let's practice on each other lol. PM me in-game (user name is Lazer)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #1053 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 06:18:44 »
I recently crawled out from under my rock and got through the Mass Effect series.
I'm not gonna say much apart from the fact that I've started playing through the games again even though I completed the series only like a week ago.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1054 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:08:26 »
I beat the first game and played partially the second one. Maybe I ought to give those time suckers another shot.

Too bad I can't play the third one since i'm boycotting origin.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #1055 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:42:21 »
Right now I'm playing TERA on Lake of Tears pvp server. I liked Star Trek Online, but TERA pulled me in so I haven't had much time for other ventures.
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline vipjun

« Reply #1056 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:54:26 »
Currently i play a tetris game  http://gewaltig.net/cultris2.aspx .

before that It was Street fighter / fighting games
Counter-strike
MMO's - The best mmo i've played was probably Dark ages of camelot, compared to WoW / Guildwars 2 and all the other mmo's i still think this one is best.
WTT Realforce 87ub variable for 55G / MX PCB mount
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42360.msg861771#msg861771

Offline Rare

• Spending racks and bands on keyboards.
« Reply #1057 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:58:41 »
I play a lot of cod4, tf2, CSS, DayZ, and arma 3. Does anyone else here play these? Does GH have a steam group or something?
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #1058 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 13:19:27 »
MMO's - The best mmo i've played was probably Dark ages of camelot, compared to WoW / Guildwars 2 and all the other mmo's i still think this one is best.

If you haven't played tera I would recommend you take a stab at it. Since its f2p and not crippled you have nothing to lose.

I'm ultra.violent on lake of tears.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1059 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:32:37 »
I play a lot of cod4, tf2, CSS, DayZ, and arma 3. Does anyone else here play these? Does GH have a steam group or something?

It does. I'm in it however i've never put much time into communicating with anybody on it. I used to play TF2 and CS:S and just recently went through a DayZ phase (mostly fixing up cars and driving them around looking for trouble.)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #1060 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:35:04 »
Right now I'm playing TERA on Lake of Tears pvp server. I liked Star Trek Online, but TERA pulled me in so I haven't had much time for other ventures.

I also play Tera. I love the action combat. Having played WoW for 8 years, it's a nice change of pace. Highly recommended.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #1061 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:22:54 »
I hardcore'd Tera for like 7 months before quitting lol. It was fun for a while and had potential though.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1062 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:26:34 »
I have decided that all MMO's are basically jobs. Why should I have to level up? I'm only in it for the PVP, that's why I don't like the quests / grind part. Completely satisfied with everyone starting out at level cap, and with endgame gear... Don't need the 89 levels of grinding before level cap  :))

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1063 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:27:00 »
double post......

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #1064 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:44:03 »
Leveling is half the fun, getting ganked, losing crystals, begging for help... hey wait a second...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #1065 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:11:06 »
I have decided that all MMO's are basically jobs. Why should I have to level up? I'm only in it for the PVP, that's why I don't like the quests / grind part. Completely satisfied with everyone starting out at level cap, and with endgame gear... Don't need the 89 levels of grinding before level cap  :))
That's what I liked about Guild Wars, it only went to level 20 and getting max armour with decent runes was no problem at all, and if you wanted to PvP you could make a PvP char that was instantly 20 where you could create the gear you wanted. Though you'd have to unlock a lot of it either through just regular PvE or through PvP points, but even that was fairly easy. Play through the PvE stuff with one char and you should have pretty much everything you need for PvP.

Heck, if you're dedicated you could reach 20 in a day with Factions and Eye of the North fairly easily.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1066 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:18:56 »
Playing through Anodyne and I am pretty sure I hate it, but the nostalgia in me really wants to like it  :-\

Offline missalaire

« Reply #1067 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:37:41 »

Not dedicated enough, obviously. You have to be a masochist to play MMOs, more so with Korean MMOs though.

That's what I liked about Guild Wars, it only went to level 20 and getting max armour with decent runes was no problem at all, and if you wanted to PvP you could make a PvP char that was instantly 20 where you could create the gear you wanted. Though you'd have to unlock a lot of it either through just regular PvE or through PvP points, but even that was fairly easy. Play through the PvE stuff with one char and you should have pretty much everything you need for PvP.

Heck, if you're dedicated you could reach 20 in a day with Factions and Eye of the North fairly easily.

I wouldn't say Guild Wars or GW2 is a true MMO in the sense that there isn't really a real sense of progression with those games. But that's my opinion.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Rare

« Reply #1068 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:56:34 »

It does. I'm in it however i've never put much time into communicating with anybody on it. I used to play TF2 and CS:S and just recently went through a DayZ phase (mostly fixing up cars and driving them around looking for trouble.)

Is the group active?
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1069 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:02:01 »
If Internetlad is referring to GeekShot, it's  not very active, and I would warrant the creation of a new one, with a better name (No offense, Tym  :p)

Edit;
or at least get some scrims going. Come on guys!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:04:27 by Flip »

Offline Rare

« Reply #1070 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:08:43 »
Create a new one! I'd love to be in a GH group.
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1071 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:10:13 »
Mainly Borderlands 2 and Battlefield

loving Red Orchestra 2 right now

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #1072 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:54:03 »
League of Legends! Anyone down to play right now?

Also just got Starcraft II, pretty bad at it but its really fun.

PM me if you'd like to play and just add me on League, ThisGameIsFun :p

Gupgup

Offline vipjun

« Reply #1073 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:18:17 »
I wouldn't say Guild Wars or GW2 is a true MMO in the sense that there isn't really a real sense of progression with those games. But that's my opinion.

That's an interesting opinion. can you define what "progression" means to you ?
WTT Realforce 87ub variable for 55G / MX PCB mount
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42360.msg861771#msg861771

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #1074 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 04:26:38 »

That's an interesting opinion. can you define what "progression" means to you ?
I'm interested as well, because I really can't see why there'd be any greater sense of progression in something like WoW, I just found that to have a needlessly tedious leveling experience just to keep you subscribed longer.
I'll admit that since it's so easy to hit max level and armour in GW that it's a bit more important to set personal goals, but even then the game gives you a hand by giving you a bunch of titles to work on if you're into that.

In GW2 I'll admit that there is a certain lack of progression and not a lot of realistic goals. All the goals you'd like to set are too far away, if you want armour then you'll want either T3, which is ridiculously expensive, or dungeon armour, which is a massive grind. If you're into cool weapons then they're all ridiculously hard to get. Sure, they might be somewhat realistic if you're the sort of person who can get really into GW2, but personally I feel that there's not a lot along the way. For instance, in GW pretty much anyone can get a set of prestige armour, it takes a bit of dedication, but if you just play the game you'll eventually have enough, or close to enough, for a 50k armour at least. In GW2 there is no "playing the game", you get through your personal story and then that's it, after that the game has no clear goal for you, it's just "go out there and grind".
I like the way hearts and vistas and stuff works, but it's only fun on the first character, it feels like the game punishes you for making more characters.
In GW you've gotta do missions to progress, sure, but once you've completed the campaign once then you sorta know what to do and how to do it, so subsequent playthroughs of the campaigns are less tedious because you know which quests you can skip and you know how the missions work to get through them more efficiently. In Prophecies you can even run past the majority of the missions.
In GW2 everything is equally grindy and boring every time.

... Aaand I'll stop there, I could probably write an essay about what I like about GW alone, and then another one on why I don't like GW2 all that much, and then yet another one on why GW is better than GW2, but I'll stop my rant here.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1075 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:34:03 »
If Internetlad is referring to GeekShot, it's  not very active, and I would warrant the creation of a new one, with a better name (No offense, Tym  :p)

GeekShot was specifically the TF2/CSS/et al tournament.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/geekhackcommunity is the geekhack steam commmunity.

On the "What i've been playing" front, checked out GodMode and it looks good, coming out in a couple weeks, but been investing a bit of time into Dawn of Fantasy, a persistent world MMORTS that was released about a week ago. 20 bucks from their site with a couple perks. Needs polish, but the core mechanic seems to be in place.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1076 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:24:48 »

F*CKING BADASSS!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1077 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:29:03 »
lol what's with the sega genesis overlay? Just because it's reminiscent of a cover of an old game?

And incidentally I'd never have believed that was a real game unless it was actually steam that had notified me that it was available for purchase.

The irony i'm seeing with blood dragon is that it seems that 15 bucks is a pretty low price for a standalone title. I think what happened is that they slashed the price from a potential 30 down to 15 due to the leak ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22095115 ) and are going to see overwhelmingly positive reaction to charging a fair price for DLC on day 1 release.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:51:03 by Internetlad »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1078 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:51:30 »
lol what's with the sega genesis overlay? Just because it's reminiscent of a cover of an old game?

And incidentally I'd never have believed that was a real game unless it was actually steam that had notified me that it was available for purchase.

The irony i'm seeing with blood dragon is that it seems that 15 bucks is a pretty low price for a standalone title. I think what happened is that they slashed the price from a potential 30 down to 15 due to the leak ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22095115 ) and are going to see overwhelmingly positive reaction to charging a fair price for DLC on day 1 release.

the game got leaked a few days ago, i played it, its actually really fun
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1079 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:54:27 »
the game got leaked a few days ago, i played it, its actually really fun

You and your flexible morals. I'm gonna grab it when it comes out on steam/uplay. I"m glad it's standalone, I just cleared FC3 off my PC to free up disk space last night.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1080 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:55:26 »
Yeah I am playing it now too, pretty sure I will pay for it based on what I have seen so far as $15 is a pretty decent price for it.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1081 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:57:35 »
Yeah I am playing it now too, pretty sure I will pay for it based on what I have seen so far as $15 is a pretty decent price for it.

yeah i really dub it, although i hate thinking any of my money is going to ubisoft so i may have to acquire it in trade
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #1082 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:58:18 »
That does look really awesome...
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline purple_haze

« Reply #1083 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:36:52 »
starcraft 2, fifa, and nhl 13 are my cups of tea
Das Keyboard Silent S MX Browns | Filco Majestouch 2 MX Browns | Filco Majestouch MX Blues TKL

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1084 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:32:40 »

I knew there was another game with that vibe so I had to put my head to use and track it down... but it's not a finished game really just like a tech demo called Autonomous made by doublefine. You're a powerglove wielding robot builder in a tronesque sandbox. It's pretty badass too.
It's a part of Amnesia fortnight humble bundle, haven't taken time to check out the rest of them yet.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:34:53 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1085 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:34:05 »
Show Image

I knew there was another game with that vibe so I had to put my head to use and track it down... but it's not a finished game really just like a tech demo called Autonomous made by doublefine. You're a powerglove wielding robot builder in a tronesque sandbox. It's pretty badass too.

that looks ****ing awesome, is it a free download ?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:37:35 »
No it's not really free it was part of this humble bundle.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1087 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:41:14 »
No it's not really free it was part of this humble bundle.

oh ok... oh well i guess

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1088 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 12:44:03 »
EvE online for a month. Let's see how this goes.. (used to play, off and on. gonna do some frigate pvp)

http://playstarbound.com/ --- PM me if you're going to play this. I pre ordered already, let me know if you wanna mess around in the beta (beta not available yet)
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2013, 13:00:09 by Flip »

Offline missalaire

« Reply #1089 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 12:56:19 »
Lately I've been playing: League of Legends, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn beta, and Neverwinter beta.

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #1090 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 13:52:53 »
Neverwinter beta.

what do you think of it?

Offline missalaire

« Reply #1091 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 14:07:12 »
Neverwinter beta.

what do you think of it?

I didn't have enough time to hit the max level cap in this closed beta, but it was pretty fun for how far I did get. It was really easy to get into and the combat is more engaging than some MMOs I've played/tried. The combat feels like a mix of Aion and Tera. It's really easy to figure out where to go for your quests and they don't just make you run around town to do tons of different errands. It has the feel of an epic story too which is kind of nice. I also tried out the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn beta this weekend and I definitely prefer Neverwinter over it. FF XIV just didn't feel as intuitive for questing and getting into the game in comparison and it felt like way too much running around town to do quests, at least early on. Combat in FF XIV felt a lot slower also and just didn't feel as fun. FF XIV just felt a bit boring to play and questing felt like more of a chore than anything. I'll definitely be playing the Neverwinter open beta when that comes around and probably will buy into retail.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 14:58:41 »
http://playstarbound.com/ --- PM me if you're going to play this. I pre ordered already, let me know if you wanna mess around in the beta (beta not available yet)

So many games with "Star" in the title coming out it's confusing me. Stardrive, Star Conflict, Starforge, and now this Starbound. Confusing me!

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 15:42:55 »

So many games with "Star" in the title coming out it's confusing me. Stardrive, Star Conflict, Starforge, and now this Starbound. Confusing me!

Dont forget wildstar!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1094 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:15:41 »

Star Citizen is going to be the best of them all...

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #1095 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:17:08 »
Speaking of games, anyone trying to get rid of their copy of NBA 2k13 and Tiger Woods 13 for PS3? PM me :D

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1096 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:18:00 »
Speaking of games, anyone trying to get rid of their copy of NBA 2k13 and Tiger Woods 13 for PS3? PM me :D

More than one person bought a PS3?

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #1097 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:19:20 »

More than one person bought a PS3?

I'm not sure I follow? :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1098 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:19:38 »
I bought a PS3. I specifically went on a search for one that plays PSX and PS2 games. I don't think I own any PS3 games...

Oh, and it plays Blurays.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1099 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 17:11:42 »
More importantly it plays ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD.