Author Topic: Matias quiet switches in a poker 2 with mx red springs?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Tiramisuu

Matias quiet switches in a poker 2 with mx red springs?
« on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:50:23 »
Am I smoking crack?

Can  I fit the switches to a cherry cut plate and if so can I reduce the key weight to the more subtle 35 grams vs.  the 55 grams on the Matias switch?

Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Matias quiet switches in a poker 2 with mx red springs?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:09:59 »
The switches won't fit in the plate, and the PCB doesn't have holes for alps switches.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:17:05 »
:(

I really don't want to have to build my own keyboard.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:22:34 »
:(

I really don't want to have to build my own keyboard.

you can do it with a custom alps plate and direct wire. I like matias switches with lighter springs. A common choice is to use lighter springs from XM greens (from like a cheap ducky)

Another option is the duck0113 duck mini PCB which supports alps switches and custom layouts.

If you don't like building your own keyboard of something that doesn't exist, you may want to instead pay someone to do the work for you.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:25:31 »
Duck mini 1.5 is a great option for a poker case and alps plate + switches. Does the new v60 w alps allow poker cases too?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:47:20 »
As far as I know there are no aftermarket springs for Alps style switches, so you're stuck with the default strength. If you want quiet tactile switches with soft springs you could get a Poker II with Clears and put 62g springs in or if you want even softer, Browns with even softer aftermarket springs.

MX Reds have around 45g pressure to the actuation point, increasing to almost 60g at bottom out. Matias are around 65g at actuation and the resistance stays low after actuation so it's still less than 65g at bottom out. Even if you could fit Red springs in a Matias switch, it would still have around 60-65g actuation pressure due to the design of the mechanism.

MX Browns actuate at around 55g then the pressure drops to around 40g, builds to 50g quite quickly and then slowly increases to 60g at bottom out. With some lighter springs in Browns you can get really soft tactile switches.

One of the primary advantages of MX switches is their "tunability". If you're already opening switches to swap springs, I would highly recommend doing the trampoline mod (with silicone balls from IMSTO for instance) if you want a quiet and soft bottom out like the Matias quiet switches. Another advantage is the ability to use a wide range of keycaps on them, increasing your options to adjust the feeling of your keyboard to your taste.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 01:19:36 »
The KBParadise V60 has an option with Matias switches. I don't know much about it, but it is a 60% board.

Mechanical keyboards list them as coming in stock soon. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

If you could find suitable replacement springs, I think you can open the switches without desoldering.

Note: edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:43:13 by SonOfSonOfSpock »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:15:29 »
More pictures can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.978334975525309.1073741842.316701428355337&type=3

But yes you can open the switches without de-soldering.  It's a bit of pain but it's doable, I've switched the switches from Matias Tactile Pro to Quiet Pro before.

Though I'm not sure where you can get a suitable spring to make it lighter.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:32:56 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:17:19 »
Duck mini 1.5 is a great option for a poker case and alps plate + switches. Does the new v60 w alps allow poker cases too?

I don't believe so because of the way they have the controller on the board (remember reading this somewhere)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |