Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251135 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:25:45 »
This is completely off topic.

Have you considered making a HHKB case? I would love to see a premium case like this be an option for HHKB users.

he has and basically it's too hard

hhkb plate is integrated, so you basically have to remount the whole thing to do a case swap
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 23:21:51 »
he has and basically it's too hard

hhkb plate is integrated, so you basically have to remount the whole thing to do a case swap

😥 aww

Offline mustcode

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 03:34:39 »
Really interested in the glossy singularity black. Do we have some sample pictures of it?

Here is a swatch picture of the color I think I'm going to use, but I don't have any full cases coated in it right now.

Show Image

I decided on a fairly high gloss option for this, since we already have a good matte black finish in the form of the hard anodizing.

This option was a last-minute addition at the request of a GB participant, so I likely won't have any samples of a cases coated in it before the GB ends.
Thank you for the extra info :) Picking the color for this case is like one of the hardest decision of my life!

Offline Fadamaque

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 13:59:31 »
I am seriously considering a Norbaforce. Anxiously waiting for the typing sound video, though!
RF87U, HHKB

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 09:44:07 »
Mr Norbauer is right
Laser on pink case looks more dope  :-*

This image was taking from Mito website
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline Fadamaque

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:12:33 »
By the way, what are the dimensions of the case?
RF87U, HHKB

Offline graefeln

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:00:21 »
Any chance Pantone 3435C (or similar) will see a return in any of your cases? Dark green is fairly uncommon and that one seems to have come out real nice.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 19:41:22 »
Any chance Pantone 3435C (or similar) will see a return in any of your cases? Dark green is fairly uncommon and that one seems to have come out real nice.

i'm pretty sure that was a one-off

but also yes please
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline graefeln

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 08:03:48 »

but also yes please

I figured that particular color was, but am hopeful that darker shades of green in general aren't off the table - especially with Norbauer being one of the few I see willing to play with shades and textures more than the norm. Between you and I, he's got interest from at least two, right?

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 09:22:27 »
How to get paypal credit 6 month? Only for people who live in USA
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline richard912

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 09:45:31 »
How to get paypal credit 6 month? Only for people who live in USA
That's why, I'm holding off placing my order til just before the dateline. I'm in for a tactical black

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 10:08:04 »
That's why, I'm holding off placing my order til just before the dateline. I'm in for a tactical black
Not Enigma black?  ;)
More vintage and classic when pair with stock topre grey-ivory keycaps

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 12:25:47 »

but also yes please

I figured that particular color was, but am hopeful that darker shades of green in general aren't off the table - especially with Norbauer being one of the few I see willing to play with shades and textures more than the norm. Between you and I, he's got interest from at least two, right?

i've got an aesthetic to keep

black on black on black

Offline djfunh8r

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:56:01 »
Went with enigma grey.  Black also looks good.  Reminds me a bit of the finish on some 60s-70s synths. 

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:16:08 »
If an 86u was easier to get I would get one of these in a heartbeat. So nice.

Offline EugeneYap83

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 01:16:20 »
Approval bump  :thumb:

Thanks so much!

I have no idea which color to choose, but the question of joining is nonexistent.

I should probably make some better thumbnails of the powder coat colors.

Here are some links to higher-res shots of these same finishes from my Novatouch project

Enigma Black
Show Image

Venice Beach
Show Image

Retro Refrigerator
Show Image

Royal Wrinkle
Show Image

Galaxy Console
Show Image

Monte Carlo Red
Show Image

Astrophysical Purple
Show Image

Enigma Gray
Show Image

Space Station White
Show Image

As a person who brought CM case(black anodize) from him, I can vouch for Norbauer. One word to describe his product..... flawless!, Build like a tank and feels not going to fall apart anything soon and it would probably outlive me.

Thanks for making RealForce casing possible.  I was disappointed with Novatouch despite lubing, adding silent foam rings, swapping PBT keycaps etc. It didn't feel right to me.  Realforce seems to get everything right.

I'm tempted to order Monte Carlo Red but before I order it I want to know(in your opinion) if the Monte Carlo Red powder coating is 'industrial' worthly tough. Of course, I'm not expecting a tank to drive over and have the coating still in pristine condition or acid proof.

Sorry if I appeared nonsensical.

Offline axtran

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:40:58 »
I too wonder about Monte Carlo Red... however I'm thinking anodization is still the most beautiful finish compared to powder coating, so Silver or Black is in my decision tree...
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline richard912

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 18:24:22 »
Looking forward to Topclack's review of the case soon

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 02:29:12 »
I wanted to say I am super excited. I plan to order one of these cases before the dead line. I am going to go with a Tactical black anodized. I was just wondering if the cable that was mentioned will be the same one shown in the picture? That cable looks NICE.

Offline krey

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 04:36:40 »
hi ryan,

can i check which of enigma black or black tactical is closer to the original case texture?

i'd ideally retain some of the original realforce feel elements.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline Fadamaque

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 06:04:03 »
How is the typing video coming along?
RF87U, HHKB

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 07:43:09 »
EDIT: Woops, I'm drunk
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:55:03 »
How is the typing video coming along?

Haven't had a chance yet, but do hope to post one this week.

hi ryan,

can i check which of enigma black or black tactical is closer to the original case texture?

i'd ideally retain some of the original realforce feel elements.

I'd have to say Tactical Black. The originals have very little texture to speak of.

I wanted to say I am super excited. I plan to order one of these cases before the dead line. I am going to go with a Tactical black anodized. I was just wondering if the cable that was mentioned will be the same one shown in the picture? That cable looks NICE.

Thanks! Yes, the cable shown in the photos will be included.

Thanks for making RealForce casing possible.  I was disappointed with Novatouch despite lubing, adding silent foam rings, swapping PBT keycaps etc. It didn't feel right to me.  Realforce seems to get everything right.

I'm tempted to order Monte Carlo Red but before I order it I want to know(in your opinion) if the Monte Carlo Red powder coating is 'industrial' worthly tough. Of course, I'm not expecting a tank to drive over and have the coating still in pristine condition or acid proof.

Powder coat is certainly an industrial finishing process; this is the same finish used on Ferrari engine blocks. Powder is more susceptible to chipping if, for example, you were to drop it onto a hard floor from a desk. However, anodizing is more susceptible to scratching by very hard sharp objects. If durability is an extreme concern, I'd have to say: go with Tactical Black, but honestly both have their strong and weak points so it's probably a wash between the two options.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 16:54:03 »
By the way, what are the dimensions of the case?

Case dimensions are:
385mm wide x 181mm deep x 22.5mm tall

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:00:18 »
Finally committed to aerospace allu. Thanks Norb, the decision between this and ano III was painful. Can't wait for this!!!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:01:29 »
Finally committed to aerospace allu. Thanks Norb, the decision between this and ano III was painful. Can't wait for this!!!

That's a very pretty option! It's the one I'm currently using on my desk right now; it matches my iMac especially well. :) Thanks for supporting the project, haytorious!!

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:03:46 »

That's a very pretty option! It's the one I'm currently using on my desk right now; it matches my iMac especially well. :) Thanks for supporting the project, haytorious!!

By the way, any thoughts on how the new jchan bke 60g domes will pair with the alu case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:05:15 »

By the way, any thoughts on how the new jchan bke 60g domes will pair with the alu case?

Probably about the same as on any RealForce: awesomely? ;)

Offline EugeneYap83

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 06:20:43 »
Powder coat is certainly an industrial finishing process; this is the same finish used on Ferrari engine blocks. Powder is more susceptible to chipping if, for example, you were to drop it onto a hard floor from a desk. However, anodizing is more susceptible to scratching by very hard sharp objects. If durability is an extreme concern, I'd have to say: go with Tactical Black, but honestly both have their strong and weak points so it's probably a wash between the two options.

Thanks for your opinion, I'm getting the Monte Carlo Red finish.
My scratches from people bracelets are my biggest concern.

Offline richard912

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 07:01:23 »
Do as I do, don't wait. The suspense will kill you long before it ships. In Norbauer you must trust. Good will be the quality.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 11:16:57 »

could you please post a photo of your desk with it in front of your mac? i went with enigma black and alu, but i'm going to be using them with a macbook pro and tb display (office) and an imac (at home). would really like to see it :)

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:31:38 »
This case if its even more premium then my Realforce 87UB55 case then I am just not sure. I am so excited I just placed my order for a Tactical Black Hard Anodized Case. I am seriously excited. This should be simply amazing. I got a feeling it will also equate to my endgame least my endgame for a while. I already love typing on my topre boards. There is something just classy about the black on black. With a few artisan's that looks amazing!

I am curious thought has this hit MOT? I am hoping it has!!! I know it was a 100 but I couldn't find anything. Norbaforce thanks designing such a unique and impressive chassis. I am excited to see if you end up also doing one for the FC660C Leopolds. That will be another chassis I will have to invest in!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:33:30 »
This case if its even more premium then my Realforce 87UB55 case then I am just not sure. I am so excited I just placed my order for a Tactical Black Hard Anodized Case. I am seriously excited. This should be simply amazing. I got a feeling it will also equate to my endgame least my endgame for a while. I already love typing on my topre boards. There is something just classy about the black on black. With a few artisan's that looks amazing!

I am curious thought has this hit MOT? I am hoping it has!!! I know it was a 100 but I couldn't find anything. Norbaforce thanks designing such a unique and impressive chassis. I am excited to see if you end up also doing one for the FC660C Leopolds. That will be another chassis I will have to invest in!

Thanks so much for your support and enthusiasm! We did indeed hit the MOQ several days ago, so all is well there. :)

Offline Devkey

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:06:25 »
Are there any pics of what an 87U looks like with blocks?

Offline regionfree

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 23:36:17 »

I think the blocked layout will only work with the 86U as it only has 1u winkeys on both left and right side.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 09:11:51 »

I think the blocked layout will only work with the 86U as it only has 1u winkeys on both left and right side.

Blocked layout works fine on an 87U. There are mockups in the interest check.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:40:28 »

mockup by dgneo

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:59:59 »

Here's a typing video preview for the Norbaforce:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 18:15:21 »

Here's a typing video preview for the Norbaforce:

Cool. Thanks for alerting us to this.

I am just waiting on a piece of audio equipment to arrive (tracking says tomorrow) and will post a high-fidelity typing video showing each of these four options: with riser feet, without riser feet, with sound dampening liner foam, without foam. I hope to have this done and posted by Saturday.

Offline luminor

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 02:54:35 »
i'm still torn between space station white/enigma grey/enigma black for my RF AE, need to make decision before the GB end, i'm leaning more towards the space station white to add more safe contrast to the color.

btw love the work, thanks to make it happen for us.

Offline DribbelDog

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 05:57:48 »
Finally placed my order for that gorgeous Astrophysical Purple. Thank you norbauer, for all your effort. My Norbatouch has been great for the past +-10 months, but I can't wait to start using my all time favorite keyboard again. Also thanks for the EU proxy, this saves me quite a bit of money and hassle. Normally I'd have to pay an additional !105! euros for taxes, fees etc, now only like 20-25 for the proxy.

I plan to combine the purple case with these green keycaps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topre-Realforce-Keycap-Full-Set-for-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-English-Green/282663767717?epid=2229655519&hash=item41d012cea5:g:JyIAAOSwjwtZsAnw. Kind of going for a 'modern botanical' theme ;)

Offline graefeln

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 06:29:16 »
Finally placed my order for that gorgeous Astrophysical Purple. Thank you norbauer, for all your effort. My Norbatouch has been great for the past +-10 months, but I can't wait to start using my all time favorite keyboard again. Also thanks for the EU proxy, this saves me quite a bit of money and hassle. Normally I'd have to pay an additional !105! euros for taxes, fees etc, now only like 20-25 for the proxy.

I plan to combine the purple case with these green keycaps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topre-Realforce-Keycap-Full-Set-for-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-English-Green/282663767717?epid=2229655519&hash=item41d012cea5:g:JyIAAOSwjwtZsAnw. Kind of going for a 'modern botanical' theme ;)

I just got those caps in the other day for my astrophysical order! They're a nice shade that I think will go well with the purple.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 06:35:29 »
Any chance to get a second cable additionally?

Offline DribbelDog

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:33:40 »

I just got those caps in the other day for my astrophysical order! They're a nice shade that I think will go well with the purple.

Awesome! I'm actually quite surprised that there's someone with exactly the same plan ;). I kind of like the idea as I hope this way it still feels somewhat like a 'real' realforce...

For the purple lovers out there; there's actually a pretty nice purple (and pink) topre spacebar available here (for 7 days): https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hot-keys-project-mito-laser-artisan-keycaps. Not too much of a MD fan, but still!
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:35:23 by DribbelDog »

Offline graefeln

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:52:46 »

Awesome! I'm actually quite surprised that there's someone with exactly the same plan...

I wouldn't say my plan is exactly the same - I am a bit less creative than "modern botanical." I am looking forward to seeing how yours comes out honestly; similar but with a different focus.
I just plan to use the colors from Eva Unit 01 as my inspiration: purple case, black RF mods, green RF alphas, orange space bar and hopefully some blue blanks eventually as the WASD cluster.

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:35:05 »

Awesome! I'm actually quite surprised that there's someone with exactly the same plan ;). I kind of like the idea as I hope this way it still feels somewhat like a 'real' realforce...

For the purple lovers out there; there's actually a pretty nice purple (and pink) topre spacebar available here (for 7 days): https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hot-keys-project-mito-laser-artisan-keycaps. Not too much of a MD fan, but still!
Thanks for the highlight.  ;)

Offline Devkey

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 12:13:34 »
i'm still torn between space station white/enigma grey/enigma black for my RF AE, need to make decision before the GB end, i'm leaning more towards the space station white to add more safe contrast to the color.

btw love the work, thanks to make it happen for us.

I'm rolling with white. I figure it's a little more unique too, to have a glossy white finish on an aluminum keyboard. I see gray ones all the time, but not pure white.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:45:33 »
I am sooo dam torn between white and purple. I have a white computer that this would go great with, but Not to sure that the caps im wanting to use would match well.
I do have a few different sets but was mainly wanting this board to be used with Gmk laser, And in the future troubled minds round 2 sometime next year. 

Main concern with white is that it would look odd with laser, or even troubled minds, But on the other hand look great with a my toxic set, or even miami nights.  This decision is killing me truley, Ive put this off till now trying to decide .

@Lansky   can I ask one more favor please? A mock with the white case and laser, or and JTK Toxic. 

Here is a pic of my computer for reasoning and comparison of why im torn. White to match, Purple to go with caps that I already have.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 18:05:10 »
I fought with my self over Retro Refrigerator (Cause it looks so cool and is so unique), White (Cause white is classy and you never see white metal cases period), Red (Cause its red and flashy also Ferrari), Finally Tactical black (Its black it goes with everything). I ended up settling for the Tactical black for the simple fact it will match everything look good doing it. I am really stoked about this also! I plan to get some topre orange keycap's to replace the modifier's and was cluster on my board. Then I have a Tangerine Topre Fugu coming in. Then once I get my case it really will be end game.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 19:11:21 »
Trying to decide if Galaxy, Monte Carlo, or Singularity would match Red Samurai better.  Hyperglossy would gel with the lacquered look I think this set deserves but textured might look good too... grr decisions...
Any aesthetics experts can help me out?

184968-0