Author Topic: Clickclacks  (Read 21865 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: Clickclacks
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:13:27 »
Stop feeding the troll. How this thread conversation has gone on this long is beyond me. It should have ended when the word 'Hobby' was introduced. A man who, according to his signature, has two versions of the same board cannot deem something impractical and expect themselves to be taken seriously. He is trolling y'all mofos. Keep it Wu-Tang.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:30:55 »
you guys are like....not smart. im out of this thread!!!!!!!!
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:33:10 »
you guys are like....not smart. im out of this thread!!!!!!!!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:37:28 »
"not sensible or realistic" also backs up my reasoning...actually.

It's shaped like a traditional keycap and even the skulls have a realativly flat surface, so its sensible becasue it works perfectally as a normal keycap.
It's realistic becasue, yeah some are crazy money, most arnt and you can buy them for pretty normal amounts that arn't INSANE $1000000000000000000 prices.

So its sort of shaped like a typical key cap and actuates the switch in the same way...but costs much more and is difficult to procure. Sounds "sensible" to me! Sorry, they are items for enthusiests and people who dont know what else to do with their disposable income. Clacks are not sensible or practical by any stretch.

Collector's items don't follow any 'sensible' rules. People pay what they feel they are worth to them, individually, as a collector. Using your logic, the first minted Mickey Mantle baseball card in mint condition shouldn't be worth more than any other printed card, right?

No, I'm not saying that at all. Not sure how you related that scenario to anything Ive said. CC's have a market price that is often much higher than their original selling price. This is rightfully so because they are collector's items. In fact, I am saying that their valuation and rarity is pretty much what makes them impractical by the "not sensible or realistic" part of the definition someone posted above. You typically don't fill you entire board with CC's because it isn't practical! Functionality really plays no part in my reasoning...

baldgye.....I have no idea what your latest post means. Is it all sarcasm?

Stop straw manning. Your rebuttal is irrelevant. Impractical is not the correct word.

Read a book.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:47:48 »

It's shaped like a traditional keycap and even the skulls have a realativly flat surface, so its sensible becasue it works perfectally as a normal keycap.
It's realistic becasue, yeah some are crazy money, most arnt and you can buy them for pretty normal amounts that arn't INSANE $1000000000000000000 prices.

So its sort of shaped like a typical key cap and actuates the switch in the same way...but costs much more and is difficult to procure. Sounds "sensible" to me! Sorry, they are items for enthusiests and people who dont know what else to do with their disposable income. Clacks are not sensible or practical by any stretch.

Collector's items don't follow any 'sensible' rules. People pay what they feel they are worth to them, individually, as a collector. Using your logic, the first minted Mickey Mantle baseball card in mint condition shouldn't be worth more than any other printed card, right?

No, I'm not saying that at all. Not sure how you related that scenario to anything Ive said. CC's have a market price that is often much higher than their original selling price. This is rightfully so because they are collector's items. In fact, I am saying that their valuation and rarity is pretty much what makes them impractical by the "not sensible or realistic" part of the definition someone posted above. You typically don't fill you entire board with CC's because it isn't practical! Functionality really plays no part in my reasoning...

Stop straw manning. Your rebuttal is irrelevant. Impractical is not the correct word.

Read a book.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:49:31 »

Read a book.

Actually, it is.  Try it in a sentence with me!

"Using gold as a keyboard case is impractical because of the obscene costs"  See?  Totally the correct word.  We can even use it with click clacks as the noun, "Trying to use click clacks as all of your input keys is impractical because of the costs of buying 33 keys at $30 a piece" [sarcasm]God, read a book. [/sarcasm]

Hobbies in general are impractical, but when CCs (or topre) are called into question, it's like someone has invented a mechanical panty twister and set it to EF-5 and let it loose on the CCDF (clickclack defense force).

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:13:15 »
I thought I could stay away from here... but you guys are cracking me up again. AND you lot are forgetting something like... i dont know a fairly boring (again with the opinions!) painting or other ART. Which you can't even touch most of the time btw... hows that for functionality. Although a more complex painting can invoke thought, has more depth, and all those emotion things....

Anyway thats pretty much what it comes down to; art. As much as I hate the lack of numbering or how about a ****ing WEBSITE, with maybeperhapsifyoucanbebothered one blurb of information? no? ok maybe not. How long has he/they been taking our money and never had ANY sort of website to navigate? rofl

But ya... art man. Doesn't even need any promotion like a website I know... but even his own gallery/coloring list sucks pretty hard...

& they aren't all super HxC skulls like people always love to say.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:25:07 »

Read a book.

Actually, it is.  Try it in a sentence with me!

"Using gold as a keyboard case is impractical because of the obscene costs"  See?  Totally the correct word.  We can even use it with click clacks as the noun, "Trying to use click clacks as all of your input keys is impractical because of the costs of buying 33 keys at $30 a piece" [sarcasm]God, read a book. [/sarcasm]

Hobbies in general are impractical, but when CCs (or topre) are called into question, it's like someone has invented a mechanical panty twister and set it to EF-5 and let it loose on the CCDF (clickclack defense force).

Again, a hobby is not impractical as it serves a function correctly. Something is impractical when it does not serve it's function. Cost is irrelevant. Such as the example used in the Google dictionary regarding high heels.

You are keeping a level head in this conversation so do not misplace my posts as being rude, but you are wrong. You obviously have internet, Google the word.

If your hobby was collecting paintings, would you say that a painting you just purchased was impractical? It makes no sense.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:42:59 »
Of course I would.  Just because I like something and choose to spend my money on it doesn't make it a practical use of my money, it just makes it something I want to spend my money on.  Why does it matter if other people thing my spending habits are practical or not, they aren't calling me names or telling me to google a word, because obviously, I looked up the definition of the word before trying to explain that it, and by default all hobbies, are an impractical use of money.  It doesn't matter if it's click clacks, bro bots, topre keyboards, artwork, stamps, pogs or baseball cards, hobbies are impractical.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 22:11:17 »
I loved pogs. Still have mine. I actually turned my pog case into my key cap case.
Looking for CC's!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 23:18:55 »
God the massive amount of 'collectables' my mom has stored for me. Action figures, pogs, Pokemon cards, MTG cards, Gundam models. So many allowances wasted.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 00:07:40 »
You guys know people pay $200 Million for a collectible painting right?

And $2 Million for a collectible car?

And some fool paid $1.5 Million for a Superman comic book.

So, IMO spending $200 for a keycap that one likes is a bit high, but not insane or anything.  However, spending $200 in order to speculate that the price will continue to go up forever, that is a fool's game.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 02:44:20 »
Any time CC and money or profit is in the same sentence, there's always drama that comes with it. This is why I only have one and don't bother hunting for more. That's all I need/want.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 09:51:25 »
Of course I would.  Just because I like something and choose to spend my money on it doesn't make it a practical use of my money, it just makes it something I want to spend my money on.  Why does it matter if other people thing my spending habits are practical or not, they aren't calling me names or telling me to google a word, because obviously, I looked up the definition of the word before trying to explain that it, and by default all hobbies, are an impractical use of money.  It doesn't matter if it's click clacks, bro bots, topre keyboards, artwork, stamps, pogs or baseball cards, hobbies are impractical.

Again, you are completely misinterpreting the meaning of the word, using it incorrectly and now correlating it with the wrong discussion. This wasn't a matter of judging whether or not a hobby is an impractical way of spending money. It was a discussion about an expensive key being impractical. But, for the sake of the argument you are using, it is still not impractical. This is because when it comes to spending money, it is very subjective.

For example, if you have all your necessities and you spend money on something that makes you happy, hobby or otherwise, it is still serving its purpose. Therefore, it is not impractical. It would only become impractical if you were broke, lets say, and spending all your money on Clacks. But still, it is my personal opinion that it would still be a border line usage of the word since impractical and money is extremely subjective.

If someone was rich and spent money on completely unnecessary things that they wanted, would you say that he's money spending was impractical? No, I would say not spending it would be impractical since its FUNCTION is to be spent. By your new logic, almost anything beyond the bare minimum of what you need would be an impractical way of spending money.

P.s. I never called you a name...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:02:02 »
Keep calm and adore le skull (and container from CPTBadAss)! :D

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:10:20 »
Show Image

Love this. Nice pic.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:11:52 »
Thanks! :)

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:03:39 »

Again, you are completely misinterpreting the meaning of the word, using it incorrectly and now correlating it with the wrong discussion. This wasn't a matter of judging whether or not a hobby is an impractical way of spending money. It was a discussion about an expensive key being impractical. But, for the sake of the argument you are using, it is still not impractical. This is because when it comes to spending money, it is very subjective.

For example, if you have all your necessities and you spend money on something that makes you happy, hobby or otherwise, it is still serving its purpose. Therefore, it is not impractical. It would only become impractical if you were broke, lets say, and spending all your money on Clacks. But still, it is my personal opinion that it would still be a border line usage of the word since impractical and money is extremely subjective.

If someone was rich and spent money on completely unnecessary things that they wanted, would you say that he's money spending was impractical? No, I would say not spending it would be impractical since its FUNCTION is to be spent. By your new logic, almost anything beyond the bare minimum of what you need would be an impractical way of spending money.

P.s. I never called you a name...

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:09:52 by zoolzoo »
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 09:24:38 »
Show Image

Nice container.

Offline koralatov

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 09:27:08 »

There’s really no need to take this so personally.

I consider them impractical because of the skull on the top — I don’t consider that an ideal surface for a keycap.  If it was, then *all* keycaps would have a lumpy, irregular top surface.  The impracticality has *nothing* to do with the ludicrous money people are spending on them;  I’d consider them just as impractical if they cost 10¢ each.

So, IMO spending $200 for a keycap that one likes is a bit high, but not insane or anything.  However, spending $200 in order to speculate that the price will continue to go up forever, that is a fool's game.
That’s where it all begins to fall down.  A not-insignificant portion of people *are* buying them with the intention of speculating on them, and each time they change hands the risk passes onto the current owner.  It’s almost inevitable that the market will collapse at some point, which means that the last person to buy the Click Clack in question gets burned.  They obviously take that risk knowingly when they get involved in CC speculation, but that doesn’t change the fact that an unsustainable bubble has developed around them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 09:30:03 »

Well that's a relief, because I wasn't.
And again the use of impractical to try and justify hating on CC's or people who have/collect them is petty, at best. It seems pretty practical to me to be able to (just by feel) differentiate between certain keys. Are you really trying to argue that F and J scooped cherry keys are impractical because they aren't flat like standard keys?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 09:54:13 »

And again the use of impractical to try and justify hating on CC's or people who have/collect them is petty, at best. It seems pretty practical to me to be able to (just by feel) differentiate between certain keys. Are you really trying to argue that F and J scooped cherry keys are impractical because they aren't flat like standard keys?

The word "impractical" isn't really an insult, though. Nobody is hating on CC's or people who collect them. You'll start to learn more about how words are used as you get older.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 09:58:43 »

I consider them impractical because of the skull on the top — I don’t consider that an ideal surface for a keycap.  If it was, then *all* keycaps would have a lumpy, irregular top surface.  The impracticality has *nothing* to do with the ludicrous money people are spending on them;  I’d consider them just as impractical if they cost 10¢ each.

That’s where it all begins to fall down.  A not-insignificant portion of people *are* buying them with the intention of speculating on them, and each time they change hands the risk passes onto the current owner.  It’s almost inevitable that the market will collapse at some point, which means that the last person to buy the Click Clack in question gets burned.  They obviously take that risk knowingly when they get involved in CC speculation, but that doesn’t change the fact that an unsustainable bubble has developed around them.

In this regard, yes you are correct but also incorrect in using impractical. However, like I have stated, it is still subjective considering the point of a Clack is to dress your keyboard on a button least used and if it successfully makes your keyboard look better (in your opinion) then it serves it's purpose.

The function of a Clack is not to increase the effectiveness of your escape key or make it more comfortable. It was made for purely aesthetic purposes and therefore serves its function. The reason I say it is subjective is because someone using their escape key often and finds it uncomfortable, may find it impractical (such as yourself). But then you can argue technicalities, the original design philosophy and also whether or not you find it aesthetically pleasing (which you don't)--still making it subjective.

Personally, due to the infrequent use of the key and the other factors I mentioned, I find your argument a bit of a reach. However, your opinion is just that, an opinion and your point is a valid argument.   

P.S. As you can see, I love arguing semantics lol.   

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:00:39 »

The word "impractical" isn't really an insult, though. Nobody is hating on CC's or people who collect them. You'll start to learn more about how words are used as you get older.

What's your excuse?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:01:40 »

What's your excuse?

Probably that he's a troll.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:20:45 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:22:15 »
Scumbag CC

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:48:17 by longweight »

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:50:24 »
pic doesnt load for me :(

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:15:22 »
Scumbag CC

Show Image

that's not funny or accurate...

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:27:48 »
Scumbag CC

Show Image

Allow me to correct you there:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:35:50 »

It's both actually.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:47:50 by longweight »

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:53:48 »
So true.
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:04:51 »

It's both actually.

I don't think you can blame CC for greedy behavior. I mean after all, you are the one selling off his key caps for huge profits. If you want to blame anyone for the issues in the community regarding little pieces of plastic, you can start by blaming yourself.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:09:50 »

It's both actually.

I don't think you can blame CC for greedy behavior. I mean after all, you are the one selling off his key caps for huge profits. If you want to blame anyone for the issues in the community regarding little pieces of plastic, you can start by blaming yourself.

On a side note, I just got the Techkeys email and I really like some of the new BroBots! :D
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:11:27 »

It's both actually.

Zero profit actually, I'm just trying to get back what I paid for them.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:13:09 »

It's both actually.

Zero profit actually, I'm just trying to get back what I paid for them.

Either way, you are still supporting the greed. Whether it was you that initially paid too much for one, and then passing it along to the community. Sure, you should get your money back, but it's not CC's fault that people created histeria over tiny pieces of plastic.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:17:16 »

I agree, I did support the greed and I have no problem with it, it's just healthy supply and demand.

I just find it funny how so many people claim that CC does it for the community when it causes so many problems.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:19:34 »

I just find it funny how so many people claim that CC does it for the community when it causes so many problems.

I don't think CC thinks that way. He just wants to share his art. If it was 'for the community', it would be free. But even then, people would still jack the prices up and sell for unreasonable amounts. It's pretty much that way with anything with low amount and high demand

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:21:42 »
He probably doesn't but I get the feeling that no one wants to upset him which is why you never see anyone criticise him.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:23:06 »
It's CC's fault because he made those wonderful caps, just like it's McDonald's fault people are getting fat due to making delicious hamburgers. We should file a class action lawsuit against him.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:23:34 »
Exactly.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:28:43 »
McDonald's
delicious hamburgers.

what

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:30:33 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:31:39 »
What do you mean you don't think all the skulls are damn awesome!? You have some kind of opinions?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:32:59 »
What do you mean you don't think all the skulls are damn awesome!? You have some kind of opinions?

Carl's Jr, imo :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:34:36 »
Show Image

Nice container.
Is taht to say I have a nice box? I don't have a 'box' for what you are referring to last I checked. :P

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 13:26:28 »
That little box you have ain't big enough to store what I got.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 14:56:30 »
I just start arguments so I have an excuse to type.

Damn I love my keyboards.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 15:41:27 »
I just start arguments so I have an excuse to type.

Damn I love my keyboards.

Lol. This!
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 16:46:54 »
That little box you have ain't big enough to store what I got.

Does this count as avoiding statutory rape?