Author Topic: [IC] GMK Backcountry  (Read 33022 times)

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
[IC] GMK Backcountry
« on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:01:45 »
Step out into the backcountry.

The glow of the moon reflects off the snow, lighting the room in the small hours of the morning.
You slip out of your bivy sack, and begin to prepare for the long day ahead.
Your breath hangs in the air as you get dressed. You light the stove, place a pot on and add some water.
You step out of the hut to gather some of the freshly fallen snow and add it to the pot when you return.
As you wait for the water to boil, you gather your gear, and run down the checklist.
When the water boils, you turn off the stove, and prepare your breakfast of oatmeal with dried fruit, a protein bar, and a cup of coffee.
Taking your cup of coffee and the map, you sit in the doorway of the hut and review the day's route.
Looking out over the range, the mountains are bathed in moonlight and covered in a sparkling blanket of stars.
You take a deep breath of crisp, clean air. Rising from the doorway, you return to your gear and go over the checklist one last time.
With everything stowed, you shoulder the pack, and step out into the snow.
There's a long day ahead to make the next camp before nightfall.
As you make your way along the route, the sun begins to peek out over the horizon. Pausing for a moment, you look out over the valley below.
There isn't another soul in sight. As the orange and pink sunrise slowly chases away the shadows, in this moment,
you're reminded of why you keep returning to the backcountry...

Originally seen at the 2018 San Antonio Meetup, it was the brainchild of FistfulOfPaintballs (you can see the original here), and was called Terminiferous Skydrodolch.
She mixed four GMK sets to create a unique gradient keyset; Terminal, Coniferous, Sky Dolch, and Hydro.
Like many who saw this creation, I loved it, but didn't really want to spend the money to have my own.
I spoke with her about possibly running it as it's own set, and now with her permission, I've adapted the color scheme into this new set.

The set has now been themed around backcountry hiking, climbing, and mountaineering, things I used to really enjoy doing, and something that the colors reminded me of a great deal.
The colors just screamed backcountry to me. So, I set out to make a set around that idea.
The colors represent different aspects of the backcountry. The white of snow in the mountains, the grey of the rock, blues of the ice and water, greens of the trees, grasses, and mosses.

The set uses all the stock GMK colors of the original sets (GR1, N9, AE, N7, TU2, N5), but the one exception is the Hydro alpha legends were changed from V4 to N5 to match the legends of the Hydro bottom row mods.
The most notable change from the originals is Icon Mods. They were chosen to be representative of legend symbols on maps, to go with the topographic map inspired deskmats.

The Gear:

Walk-up Kit
A walk-up is a very easy climb that pretty much anyone can do, much like a base kit is a kit that everyone can use.
With the proliferation of the Alice layout, and taking a cue from Mito, I've added the second B and 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars to this kit.

Slab Kit
Slabs are large featureless sections of rock in a climb, very much like a spacebar.

Crag Kit
A crag is a more difficult portion of a climb that requires some specialized equipment, much like a 40% board.
To minimize the number of kits that 40s users need to buy for basic compatibility, spacebars have been included in this kit.

Cairn Kit
Cairns are small stacks of stones used as guide markers for a route, similar to the sublegends of a VIM arrow set.
I don't know about anyone else, but I love VIM arrows and accent arrows, and I wish more sets had them.
This set gives you a replacement WASD arrows (so you can shine these up while gaming and not the base set), accent arrows for all the 65%/TKL/full size folks, IJKL arrows, and VIM arrows.

Scree Kit
Scree are the small boulders and rocky debris at the base of a slope. It's small enough to walk over, and it can often create some entertaining experiences.
This is similar to novelties in that they typically fill out the bottom row, and while you can pass over them, they make things a little more fun.
The novelties are (from top to bottom, and left to right on rows with multiples): Prayer Flag, Mountain Range, Carabiner, Alpine Hut, Compass, Snowshoe, Multitool, Rope Coil, Camp Stove, Ice Axe.

Deskmats:

Night Hike

Day Climb

Renders:

OSA

Rama U80

IC Form:
https://forms.gle/Li4TAEehBBv8B4Sy7

Since this is an IC, the following information is still being worked out and more details will be coming.

Vendors:
US: TBD
CA: TBD
EU: TBD
AUS: TBD
Asia: TBD

Additional Info:

Cables
I will be looking for a cable maker
more to come soon

Artisans
I have a few artisans in mind for this
more to come soon

To Do:
More Renders
Cables
Artisans

Updates:

Thanks to:
FistfulOfPaintballs for letting me use the idea and run the set
Tyson and BlindAssassin111 for their advice and feedback
OneCreativeMind for all the awesome work on the novelties, deskmats, and packaging
Abec13 for the great renders

Signature Banner:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107602.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/mcUAqLG.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 02:22:14 by jrfhoutx »

Offline ogWalker

Re: [IC] GMK Backcountry
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:03:54 »
i think you may have inserted the images incorrectly

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:04:11 »
Imma read this text while the pictures get loaded...

Hey it’s up
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:13:58 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline OJtheTiny

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:07:39 »
All the images are broken... Enjoyed the read tho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline supleed2

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:11:33 »
Deskmat instantly had me, caps might fit the mat well too  :p

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:21:13 »
N9 wasn’t the color I’d have picked for GMK Wild and that’s grown on me. This is some A+ novelties, themes, and ideas at the level of Camping (which I mean as high praise), which manages to avoid camping, Wild, and moonlight IP, and... still kinda looks like skhydrodolch on the colors. Lemme look again tomorrow.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:21:51 »
Hi there

- Would like to see different mods... normal icons or icon + text would be my preference
- Would be interested to see this set with the mod colored bands running all the way across instead of using the white / blue

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:23:14 »
In on deskmats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:27:03 »
Ocd kicked in on u80 renders (left shift and caps)

Offline Shiro

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:39:55 »
this is looking real nice, cant wait to see how this does

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:43:45 »
The set really isn't my thing, but those desk mats are fire.

Offline keyboardkrill

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 17:55:59 »
in for the deskmats!

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 18:04:44 »
This is beautiful.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline FistfulOfPaintballs

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 18:09:23 »
This man stole my idea

I approve

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 18:38:40 »
If the 2.25u and 2.75u bars are in the base, they don’t need to be in the crag kit too?

(Colors are growing on me)

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:37:58 »
I think the night deskmap is like top 5 mats I've seen. I love it.

I'm a huge mountaineer/climber, and I really want to love this set, but the colors are just to chaotic for me. There's light green, dark green, dark blue, teal. I think the set would be a lot more coherent if there were only 1-2 colors in addition to the base white/black keys.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:43:45 »
in for thicc purse
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:44:33 »
THICCO PURSE. Will be in for just that tbh.

Offline ThePanduuh

• Discord @ThePanduuh#0001
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:45:26 »
widepursehappypuddsy.jpg
Bias BE | Polaris | Frog | Matrix 8xv2.0 Add | Iron165 SE | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | Cypher

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:45:43 »
Can we get a wide purse?

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 11:57:55 »
In for the topographic desk maps.

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 12:51:58 »
Can’t wait for this one. Great job y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 13:53:49 »
Definitely looking for that Night Hike mat 👀

Offline timtamale

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 14:11:27 »
Backcountry makes me think green and not light blue, is there going to be a green alphas option? The original Skydolch name sounds way better for this kit.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 11:33:19 »
IC Filled. I love the design.

I'm IN. I hope it stays with GMK.

Ilumkb for Asia Vendor.

Offline Yakbats

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 16:56:20 »
count me in for the novelties and the 40s kit!

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 23:16:56 »
Great theme for a set! Very cool.  :thumb:

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 03:06:28 »
I like the theme, but I'm not entirely sold on the light blue legends on the alpha, it just doesn't look quite right to my eye.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 06:21:57 »
Those mats are straight fire.🔥🔥🔥

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 07:55:44 »
Love the set. This is a must grab for me if it goes to GB.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 10:49:55 »
Any updates? Man i want this soon! <3

I hope Ilumkb gets this as Asia Vendor

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 13:48:16 »

Just to temper your expectations a little, with the lead time of GMK sets and the average time between IC and GB phases, I’d expect to wait a while, hehe
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 03:01:39 »

Just to temper your expectations a little, with the lead time of GMK sets and the average time between IC and GB phases, I’d expect to wait a while, hehe

This is why i wanted this to Start. So we can get this mid 2021.  :))

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 06:56:46 »
The Day Climb desk mat really interests me. It's nice to see some geography on something large like a desk mat!

Offline ohcg

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 02:24:19 »
Love the set. Daily Clack for the aussie vendor pls and thankyou

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 07:56:07 »
Ilumkb for Asia Vendor. I'll refer you if you want  :thumb:

Offline Tropea

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 14:24:39 »
I love the idea and the theme of the kit, but imp the blue/teal/green is way to bright for when i think of outdoors. I know itll be tough to differentiate from camping and wild but just my .02

Offline TameFlame

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 13:50:18 »
Definitely in for a deskmat, perhaps keycaps aswell

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 14:19:30 »
The deskmats are gorgeous!  :thumb:

Offline shadow2579

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 06:29:08 »
the topic is great

like the novelties and deskmats
base color seem hard to apply for the keyboards kit

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 13:08:38 »
The black spacebars are a huge detractor from this set's aesthetics, in my opinion.

Offline Skandiluz

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 14:45:10 »
I was expecting a set similar to camping (judging from the name) but MAN! Not only was I way wrong, I am totally in on this set!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 15:17:34 »
I love that this set uses icons. Thank you!

I have a few notes to share concerning the 40s kit:
-since 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars are in the base kit, they can be dropped from the 40s kit

-since the 40s kit will no longer contain these extra 2.75u and 2.25u spacebars, I recommend adding a second 2u spacebar

-R4 1u enter, while the default position on Planck and Preonic, should be supplemented with a R3 1u enter. Both of these keys do not require an accent. In fact, I recommend not accenting any 1u keys except for escape.

-there appears to be several numpad alternative keys (x, +, and -) in the 40s kit. I recommend removing these as they do not enrich 40s coverage in any capacity

-there are two 1.75u R4 keys. One is a lock and the other is three vertical bars. The only layout which uses this key is the minivan and it only needs one. I recommend removing one of these keys.

Thank you for your time and consideration and GLWIC!

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 03:48:39 »
as a planck user I agree with Higsby. THANK YOU for using icons, there is now (a rough form of) ortho support in your base kit!
  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 10:52:27 »
Have you considered to offer an Icon Set? It would pull demand, particularly those nav icons that should be a first.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 00:19:08 »
Sorry for moving slow on this, due to the current state of the world work has been a bit crazy (I'm sure you all know how that is) and I've had to spend an inordinate amount of time also being a school teacher on my off days, so I haven't had as much time to dedicate to this as I would like.
It looks like that should be changing in the next couple of months as my work usually slows down for the winter season.
I will be updating kits soonTM and working on this more regularly.

The black spacebars are a huge detractor from this set's aesthetics, in my opinion.

This is probably the most common criticism, and after talking to a few set designers, the mod colored spacebars in the base kit are going to be changed to the alpha color (and the mod colored bars will be part of the slabs kit).

I love that this set uses icons. Thank you!

I have a few notes to share concerning the 40s kit:
-since 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars are in the base kit, they can be dropped from the 40s kit

-since the 40s kit will no longer contain these extra 2.75u and 2.25u spacebars, I recommend adding a second 2u spacebar

The 2.25u and 2.75u bars being left in the 40s kit was an oversight when the decision was made to include them in the base kit. This will be fixed and they will be removed from the 40s kit.
Thanks for the suggestion of adding another 2u, I'll take it into consideration.

-R4 1u enter, while the default position on Planck and Preonic, should be supplemented with a R3 1u enter. Both of these keys do not require an accent. In fact, I recommend not accenting any 1u keys except for escape.

-there appears to be several numpad alternative keys (x, +, and -) in the 40s kit. I recommend removing these as they do not enrich 40s coverage in any capacity

-there are two 1.75u R4 keys. One is a lock and the other is three vertical bars. The only layout which uses this key is the minivan and it only needs one. I recommend removing one of these keys.

Thank you for your time and consideration and GLWIC!

While they may not enrich basic 40s coverage, the numpad alternatives have an actual purpose, Candybar support (and other 40%+Numpad boards I've seen IC'd lately). It may not benefit everyone,  some of the other odd additions in other kits, I'm adding keys that I want for myself that I wish were in other sets I own, and if they benefit others as well, then that's good for them, too).

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll take them into consideration when reworking the kits.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 12:40:55 »
Man, after no good sets for a while there are quite a few all of a sudden in IC. Gorgeous stuff. I will 100% be picking up those mats and a solid probably on the set.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:58:04 »
Filled in the IC form.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 10:47:07 »
Hoping this pushes thru. I really like this set.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 18:59:48 »
A+ lore