Author Topic: [IC] 75% keyboard with Rotary Encoder (Switch), OLED, RGB Underglow & more  (Read 29618 times)

Offline shamit05

Renders: https://imgur.com/a/MmhlmEL

IC Form: https://forms.gle/r5btY8ed1GmovdPf8

UPDATES (After early feedback):
I've read through lots of the early feedback and have noticed some trends in what people are thinking. As a result, I'm working on three more revisions of the keyboard:

- One with no OLED at all

- One with a layout similar to the Satisfaction75 (see OLED for more information)

- One with the rotary encoder and OLED switched (positions)

I'm planning on completing them as quick as I can and probably posting an update (in a new post) with finished renders of each of the revisions
I will then probably ask for people to vote on which two revisions look best and will continue with further revising and refining those until I can get a potential 3d printed model and a alu proto in the future
Please continue filling out the IC Form and leaving comments as this helps me make further revisions

UPDATES

- There have been many questions asking about the OLED placement; I will try to address them all here
 - Questions about visibility: OLED panels have ridicolously high viewing angles compared to LCDs so there is no need to worry about sharpness at that angle
 - Questions about placement: Some people have worries about the placement of the OLED. If it doesn't suit you that is completely fine! Please leave feeback in the IC Form, that is the purpous of it! It was pointed out to me before the IC that people might want another layout and as a result I offered an additional layout in the IC Form. If enough people request it I am completely fine with modifying the case for the other layout!

- Questions about keycap placement
 - It has been brought up to my attention that the keycaps are sitting too low. This is just an issue in the renders, but will not be present on the actual keyboard. The dimensions from the plate to top of the keyboard were measured and as such, the keycaps will sit properly like any other keyboard. However, when rendered, I freely moved the position of the keycaps and just set it up to where I felt right, which is a little too low. This was just an issue in the render and I will fix that up for future renders; this will NOT be a problem present in the actual keyboard

Questions about pricing
- Please note that there is no estimated price as of now. I don't want to give any false promises with prices and I'm still making major revisions in my model which can cause huge fluctuations in price
- I will definitely make further refinements to bring the cost down as much as I can however

- Please make sure to leave your thoughts in the IC Form as I will be reading all the responses thoroughly and changing the keyboard design appropriately. Thanks!
- This keyboard is in a very early stage of development. The reason I posted an interest check this early is so that I can get feedback and make a more polished and refined product that people would actually enjoy in the future. This helps me get some early feedback and can help make a better product for the future.

The Design

75% keyboards have always been my favorite layout. It strikes the perfect balance between functionality and size. However, I've noticed that there are very few 75% keyboards that have actually hit the markets. As a result, I've decided to make my own.  Featuring an OLED Screen, Rotary Encoder, and RGB Underglow, all while looking amazing. Everything from the case to the pcb to the renders are all designed by me, although I gladly enjoy the help of other throughout this project. Even it might take longer, this allows me to reach the super high standards I have set for myself, as I want a product that not only I'm proud of, but something that the community enjoys too!

The Bezels

To allow for a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing design, the layout contains a 1.5u left shift. This allows for a continuous .25u bezel throughout all of the clusters (of keys).

The Rotary Encoder

Instead of opting for a logo, the keyboard features a rotary encoder. Currently, I've added support on the pcb for clockwise and counterclockwise rotations, as well as a push button, but I am definitely dabbling into adding directional press support (N, E, W, S) for more functionality. Do note that the pcb is still in a design stage and can easily be subjected to change and have more features added on in the future.

The OLED

This was a tough design decision to make. I've decided to go with the OLED on the side to not only give functionality, but also aesthetics. It is worked in to the middle piece and allows for a beautiful side profile of the keyboard. When I choose the actual display, I will make sure to choose one with ultra high viewing angles, so that it is still readable at different angles. In addition, when your focusing on typing it isn't a distraction (if you're looking head on at the keyboard). However, there is a possibility of another layout happening with this. Another possibility is to have a layout similar to the satisfaction 75 by moving the OLED up and taking the position of the rotary encoder and extra key. Then this would allow for the rotary encoder to move down and take the spot of the key below it, and have the spot on the side (where the oled currently is) to be filled up (like the other side). Again I am flexible and willing to switch layouts if there is enough votes and interest in it. If you want to add suggestions please visit the IC form!

The Plate

I am planning on making the plate "burger" mount (o-ring top-mount). As it's my first keyboard GB I didn't want to complicate things with a gasket mount design, and I really love the way burger mount plates sound. You can tune the exact sound by using different o rings, and the o rings isolate the plate even more than gasket mount.

Middle Piece

Instead of focusing on a badge or logo I added a middle accent piece. It wraps around 3 of the sides of the keyboard and I am planning on offering it in special materials and finishes such as bronze, copper, stainless steel, gold plated, etc in addition to the normal board colors (suggest board colors through the IC form).

Additional Specs

- 6.5 degree typing angle
- Colors: TBD; Different color options will be available for the top piece, middle piece, and bottom piece
- USB C custom design PCB with rgb backlighting
- Layout: Fixed as shown, don't really care for any other layouts but am still in the process of designing PCB. If other layouts get a lot of votes I am willing to add it
- Aluminum and possibly Polycarbonate (unlikely, but possible if highly requested)

Acknowledgements

- NathanAlphaMan: Helped me get started and gave great tips/general knowledge
- Keyboard Atelier discord community: Helped me when I had questions along the way

Notes

- Please fill out the IC form; it helps me improve the keyboard and make something the community will really enjoy!
- The keyboard is still in a very early stage of development and is subject to many changes
- A group buy will only be made if this interest check does well
- More renders and a possible animation will be made in the near future
- I will send out more updates and interest checks for major changes
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:00:46 by shamit05 »

Offline GreatKingNorann

Re: [IC] 75% keyboard with Rotary Encoder (Switch), OLED, RGB Underglow & more
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:18:17 »
This is nutty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kuro0renji

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:18:34 »
Looking great!

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:19:43 »
The keycaps rest way too low

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:20:09 »
I really like the oled screen, the knob and everything else.
I kinda dislike how low the keycaps rest, the height of the walls compared to keycaps is too high, in real life the caps, especially cherry profile, will look bad with so much difference in height.

If you make the wall lower, it is nice  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:22:29 by KaosJ »

Offline TheArcticFox_27

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:24:56 »
keycaps sitting too low, side oled screen doesn't make sense, mounting and visual is alright. Nah, pass.
| | |

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:37:38 »
How the hell is that OLED gonna work? Those are like, 4mm thick at the very least, and considering how thin those bezels are I see the plate rubbing against that area. How do you plan to connect the OLED to the pcb?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:42:11 »
OLED placement doesn't feel great to me, feels almost as if it was just added for the sake of having an OLED - GLWIC!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:42:27 »
Sat75 but ****ed

Offline Rebral

• .::.::.::.::.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:42:48 »
69 on the OLED, nice.
Contrary to the rest of the thread, I actually like how the high wall really gives this board a unique look. I'm interested in seeing if it affects the typing experience in any way, other than sound of course.
There are so many boards lined up this quarter, but I'll be keeping an eye on this one. GLWIC! :thumb:

Offline dandruff

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:02:01 »
Without the OLED (and no I don't like it where Say75 has it either), I will 100% cop! Love the layout and design!

Offline GalaxyDynamite

• kbd67mkII / GMK Vaporwave / Zealios67g / Krytox205
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:10:46 »
Honestly can't tell if trolling... putting the the screen on the side is just....trolling right?

Zero functionality - Zero aesthetics. Would be inifnitely better without it

Offline mysticworks

• Mystic Works
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:27:00 »
Visuals look nice. I agree with keycaps sitting too low and with the criticism that OLED has no utility in this spot, I think I've pointed this out on the Atelier server already.

You have to crane your head all the way to the right to get any reasonable view of the right side of a board if the alphas are centered while typing, and even with a high viewing angle screen it'll be uncomfortable to be doing so multiple times in a row. Just look at a phone with text on it at a 170 degree angle and you'll see what I mean. It's super uncomfortable to be reading stuff when it's at an off angle, so this will force you to crane your head all the way around. With a Sat75 esque layout, you can just glance downwards to see the OLED. Also consider the OLED is probably going to be slightly set into the board and won't be flush, meaning you'll have to be looking at it with an even more unreasonable angle. Finally, are those bezels enough to accommodate the OLED? Do you have an implementation for how you're going to wire it up yet? Food for thought; not sure if this implementation is good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 20:08:40 by mysticworks »

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:42:30 »
N E prototypes?

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:34:01 »
love having an OLED on such an easily visible part of the board!!!

Offline praystashion

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:43:40 »
What the... Actually insane! From the super clean lines to the layout, to the low-key underglow, to the innovative OLED placement . Super crisp!
Very interested in this, I agree there are too few 75% boards so seeing this pop up in the forum was really exciting.

although please make an ISO-pcb version I'm begging on my knees pleaaase

EDIT: Read thread and the questions regarding the placement of the OLED.
How about putting the OLED on the edge facing towards you? It'd be more visible there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:57:38 by praystashion »

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:53:30 »
finally....

I no longer have to lift my head from my desk to check whether or not I've overslept

Offline jason02

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 20:26:54 »
looks good, but LED position does not make sense.

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 23:58:00 »
Ooh interesting, I love keyboards with OLED screens!

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 00:04:13 »
Would be cool to see a touch potentiometer on the left face opposing the OLED on the right face. Filled out IC form!!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 01:23:12 »
My impressions:

1) Keycaps are sitting too low.
2) Having a tall front isn't very easy to type on.
3) The bottom case deserves a much better design than that because...
4) This is beautiful, simple, and clean
5) Lastly, the OLED is completely unnecessary....And at an odd placement.

Offline mongg

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 07:29:38 »
This is like my dream board, love the layout so much. Would you consider a hotswap option?
On the OLED, I prefer how it is here rather than on the satisfaction75 BUT I would just rather there not be one, it serves no purpose other than increasing cost.

Also is the bottom foot thing made out of rubber or metal, it looks awesome

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 07:37:50 »
Yeah, I echo the sentiment that the front is a little too chunky for me personally. Nice overall design though, though I personally don't care much for the display. I also would feel more inclined to hop on board if there was a prototype.

Offline Owl

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 09:00:15 »
Love the high wall design! I hope that catches on with more boards. I actually think OLED on the side is kind cool and out of the way. Makes the design less distracting while still providing the functionality when it's actually needed. Really wish it didn't have separated arrows though and hope that 75%'s stop incorporating it. Ruins the balance of the board in my opinion, especially with the encoder above it on the same side and the OLED also on the same side in this case. Awesome work though!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:13:04 »
Will wait for Proto pics. But really interesting design. overall.

I suggested (on the IC form) on naming it "TILTED" If that will be chosen, will i get a secure spot on the GB if just in case this is not unlimited run?  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 12:17:40 by The.Ryan.Gamer »

Offline Baionlenja

• +B
    • www.baionlenja.com
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 14:41:07 »
Ah yes the daily IC with impossible to machine design.  Please work on this a few months before bothering a manufacturer with half baked files, you will only hasten the point when they will stop taking in keyboard orders.

Offline KnownKiloTX

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 15:22:35 »
This looks amazing. If u are planning to move the oled , would it be possible to swap it's position with the rotary encoder? Idk if that conflicts too much ur pcb design, but in terms of usefulness and aesthetics I think it would make it a true one of a kind.

Offline binepad

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 15:49:15 »
Shout out for colour combination.

Offline pool

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 16:24:12 »
I think if this design is a little more fleshed out, I would cop. But yeah, I would work more closely with KB Atelier and refine the design a bit more. I'm a huge fan of side Rotary.

Offline RtS_Clack

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 17:35:00 »
I'm loving the design of this board. The incorporated back-lighting is really nice as well. Gonna follow it. Any other opinion I have put into the IC form.
GL

Offline kohalified

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 18:20:52 »
Really like the T design on the back. Insta buy from me.

Offline martensson

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:00:04 »
The keyboard looks amazing, but the OLED makes no sense to me. Who is supposed to look at it? If it's the user typing it makes little practical sense.

Offline FaIIen

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:21:02 »
very interesting

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 22:12:38 »
R E C E S S E D       K       E      Y   C    A       P     

M O M E N T
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 04:26:11 »
The OLED is in a very strange place, no use to anyone and why is everyone hell bent on making everything compact.  I love my keyboards, make them bigger with plenty of room for pens, OLED's, cup holders.  Go big guys.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 04:28:24 »
Please please, give us ISO.

About the rest, the keyboard looks amazing, not really a fan of OLED but if it doesn't jack the price up too high I wouldn't mind having one.

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 04:58:45 »
So.. it's the Evolv75 with an OLED in a weird position?

Edit: Some real feedback now.
I love the layout, it is literally the perfect one for me.
As others have said the keycaps are too low in the case and the front is a bit chonky.

And maybe something to think about, if you really want an OLED and knob.
Swap the positions so you have the OLED in the top right and the knob on the side, I don't know if this would work in some way but it does seem kinda cool if it would be low profile and kind of blend in with the edge.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2020, 05:22:14 by TibtibThePrincess »

Offline FaIIen

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 11:23:35 »
I'm here after my sat75 L

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:13:06 »
filled out IC form!

Offline Bombel

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 15:42:27 »
Good luck, you have my attention  :thumb:
FC660C Silent | Vortex Core

Offline zeejet

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 15:49:05 »
Very timely IC after a controversial Sat75 GB experience over at CannonKeys.

The OLED placement I think is unusual and I'm not sure most people would get much use out of it although I personally don't mind it. I think you've nailed the key cluster spacing for uniform gaps and bezels, which the Sat75 failed to do miserably in my opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind it at all if you removed the OLED from the design entirely as it doesn't serve a function for me personally. Trying to fit it on the top would only be wise if you can maintain good spacing, which may require removing a key or two.

Offline Devil

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 16:00:09 »
The OLED screen is useless in the current position (what's the point of the screen if you can't see it?), and having the recessed keycaps is just dumb. Want a low profile? Buy a low profile keycap set. This ain't it.

Offline boyjun

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 18:15:26 »
He's mentioned that the recessed key caps are only with the renders and won't be like that in the real prototype.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:42:34 »
Looks interesting! I am very confused about the LED screen, what the purpose would be when it’s in that position and you can’t see it. I’d vote for a wider keyboard, with the LED on the top right like on the SAT75, and with a wider shift key, moving the arrow keys out more too.

Also, you might want to consider a split spacebar, they are super useful for lots of people, and becoming more so by the day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:44:59 by dibstern »

Offline dibstern

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:52:51 »
Also, is it just me that dislikes these small right shifts? It makes it hard to press the |\ key when using an ANSI (non-ISO) layout. I don’t know how everyone else does that.

Offline MikeyyMC

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 11:21:58 »
This aint it

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 11:52:05 »
Love the uniform bezels, loved that about the evolv. Just don't have evolv type of money, so this could be it if it includes ISO.

Offline Quelian

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 14:51:35 »
I would say put the OLED where the encoder + extra button is now and the knob on the side where you currently have the OLED, current placement too me makes no sense as you cannot see the screen and on your IC the 2nd option is basically just a sat75 so also a bit pointless, but i think my suggestion and i think others have said so would be a very unique design and one i would 100% be interesting in buying

Offline Smoothie

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 23:30:33 »
I would say put the OLED where the encoder + extra button is now and the knob on the side where you currently have the OLED, current placement too me makes no sense as you cannot see the screen and on your IC the 2nd option is basically just a sat75 so also a bit pointless, but i think my suggestion and i think others have said so would be a very unique design and one i would 100% be interesting in buying

YES SIDE KNOB WOULD BE SICK

Offline praystashion

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 03:46:17 »
A knob on the right side would kind of make this a left-handed board. It's pretty much the same as in the argument of OLED being hard to see, just that now it'll be hard to reach (for right-handed people...)