Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 99147 times)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (plate layout form up)
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:56:08 »
Please also check MX and Alps compatibility (e.g. how some other makers implement it) and on plate switch-top removal possibility.

I know, I know.
... make the cutouts larger, therefore the plate would loose some strength...

Same reason there is no switch-top removal support.

If someone wishes for Alps support, I'd be willing to make him/her a customized Alps plate, but that would be expensive. Alternatively I could send the DXF data for an Alps plate to whoever want's it. Would have to make it him/herself.

I understand and respect your design decision. You are a thoughtful maker for sure - despite this is your first GB.  :thumb:

Another request for you to consider PCB pin size to be like those by KBDfans so that I can solder the China-made hotswap receptacles on it. That can be the best plate-mount solution for me.

Pretty sure he's not designing a PCB, just the case.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 02:48:12 »
I can weigh the prototype - which is completely assembled.

Please do so when possible.

I just ordered this.

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (final plate design)
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 02:54:22 »
the difference in price of making one unit versus a lot is just crazy.

You need make 5 pcs minimum for prototyping to save cost or make contract with vendor if you will make minimum more +10pcs after 1 unit done. It will save money for prototyping.

Thank you so much! This came just in time. Instead of one 60% and one 75%, I changed to five 60% (two different tops). Now I pay less but get more, you just saved me money.
My contact at the factory got really pissed because of the many changes, but now it's rolling  :thumb:

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 02:58:26 »
For cosmetic finish options on steel, powdercoating is a pretty common and relatively low cost option, with good variety of colours available. Most sheet metal fabs should be able to do powdercoat finishes (or have a preferred outsourcer for doing so). Most automotive garages or body shops will offer this service as well. Worth looking into if you want a nice cosmetic finish.

For what it's worth, I don't think galvanised steel is a good option, as the typical surface finish is not what I'd call visually pleasing. And galvanising is an operation that's done on mild steel, not stainless steel anyway... It's used to provide some protection from the elements, not for aesthetic.

All correct and well explained. I did powdercoating more than once before. The aesthetic of the plate is not the main concern for me - I just don't want it to shine/reflect through the keycap gaps. Powdercoating is a concern because the added thickness might make the installation of QMX clips quite difficult. But since QMX clips aren't really used by many, especially after we see so many silent switch versions, I probably might go for it instead of galvanizing. Wanna make a decision today. Anyone here who loves his QMX clips?

I have some QMX clips, tried them for a bit and removed them. Decent stopgap but they're not as effective as MX Silent switches, and are a pain to install and remove.

Cool if you're a casual user just trying to get a more effective silencing mod than o-rings, but people who want a silent board more than likely already have access to MX silent switches and foam insulating material for cases.

Powdercoated plates should be a little tighter, but iirc Cherry spec holes are generous enough that switches should still fit without any problems unless you really overdo it. In any case you could always try getting one plate coated and do a spot check with a handful of different switches.

you are totally right, powdercoating is the most reasonable choice here. sometimes just hard for me to actually make the decision. thanks for helping me get there  :thumb:

« Reply #254 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 03:09:16 »
Another request for you to consider PCB pin size to be like those by KBDfans so that I can solder the China-made hotswap receptacles on it. That can be the best plate-mount solution for me.

you mean this one. I see, the PCB dimensions seem to be a bit bigger. that's not a problem, because of the wide frame there is enough room inside the case. however the hotswap elements seem to add quite ab it of extra hight/need more space under the pcb. so they might touch the bottom of the case. I'll check when I get the samples.

Btw I have both the GH60 SATAN PCB and the KBDfans75PCB PCB from KBDfans here myself and plan to use them with the cases.

And for all Europeans: If you want to buy a 60% PCB soon, Falbatech has the GH60verC back in stock. Good price as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 03:24:24 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Data

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 07:27:39 »
Is KBDfans the recommended 75% PCB?

I prefer to use whatever you're designing the case around, and it seems like a good board.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 08:02:16 »
I can weigh the prototype - which is completely assembled.

Please do so when possible.

I just ordered this.

Awesome!

I'm not quite sure if you've posted overall dimensions anywhere either. Any measurements for length/width?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 08:56:27 »
the difference in price of making one unit versus a lot is just crazy.

You need make 5 pcs minimum for prototyping to save cost or make contract with vendor if you will make minimum more +10pcs after 1 unit done. It will save money for prototyping.

Thank you so much! This came just in time. Instead of one 60% and one 75%, I changed to five 60% (two different tops). Now I pay less but get more, you just saved me money.
My contact at the factory got really pissed because of the many changes, but now it's rolling  :thumb:

You're welcome! Glad it help ;D
Anyway for GB method do you still use FCFS or you can take as many order you get?

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 10:36:50 »
I just ordered this.

Thats quite a bit of overkill but sure  :))

Offline menuhin

« Reply #259 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:05:37 »

you mean this one. I see, the PCB dimensions seem to be a bit bigger. that's not a problem, because of the wide frame there is enough room inside the case. however the hotswap elements seem to add quite ab it of extra hight/need more space under the pcb. so they might touch the bottom of the case. I'll check when I get the samples.

Btw I have both the GH60 SATAN PCB and the KBDfans75PCB PCB from KBDfans here myself and plan to use them with the cases.

And for all Europeans: If you want to buy a 60% PCB soon, Falbatech has the GH60verC back in stock. Good price as well.

I haven't looked into how possible it is to install these new Kailh receptacles:

But my plan is to install these instead:

Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 13:24:17 »

I prefer to use whatever you're designing the case around, and it seems like a good board.

Any 75% PCB will work.
I will use the one from KBDfans.
There are other options, just look at Aliexpress:
- YMDK YMD75
- XD84 75% EEPW84

probably even more on taobao.

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 13:29:51 »
I'm not quite sure if you've posted overall dimensions anywhere either. Any measurements for length/width?

Not sure either. Made this quickly:
187144-0

The height depends on the angle you use. In the opening post and somewhere later you can find some info about what I call "initial height". I tried to keep it as low as possible.

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 13:37:56 »
But my plan is to install these instead:
Show Image

Show Image

just checked. should be possible. at least 0.153mm space should be left before they touch the bottom at the lowest row  :D

but that's just in CAD. I'll check again when I make the build with the sample. should end up with a bit more space I guess. very good chance it will work without any problem.

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 13:56:56 »
Anyway for GB method do you still use FCFS or you can take as many order you get?

will be first come first serve. If the MOQ is reached and more orders are coming in then we will have to hit exactly double the orders. so there will be "stepsizes"?

See here (that's also where I told everyone what we had discussed btw):
Is this idea still on the table?

Good question!
I discussed this with Silentreader and we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't make much sense to ship the PCBs around the globe twice. The big risk is that I might have to pay quite a lot of import fee. That would make the YAS more expensive for you so you wouldn't see any price benefit from combined shipping anymore.
So we agreed that it's the best solution for all that you contact Silentreader via PM for leftovers. He will also run extra PCBs of YAS very soon :)

And regarding the start of the SKBXX GB - damn it's a lot of work getting every little detail right and worked out. You'll have to wait another week (at least) :(

Know that there will be a certain number of slots for 60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and 75%:
60% Standard x18
60% WKL x8
60% HHKB x10
60% YAS x12
75% Standard x24

If more orders should come in we'll have to reach the double amount:
60% Standard x36
60% WKL x16
60% HHKB x20
60% YAS x24
75% Standard x48

The portions may change according to the orders. The numbers are what I expect based on the google forms.
Will be first come, first serve.
I'll let you know here before the GB goes live.

If the double amount shouldn't be enough I could triple - but let's not get too exited here  ;D
If there will be more YAS requests and less 60Standard for example, then I could easily shift the numbers in favor of your YAS62-PCB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 14:00:03 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 14:03:26 »
I just ordered this.

Thats quite a bit of overkill but sure  :))

already had weighing overseas proxy shipping in mind  ;)

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 14:43:19 »
Whew. Just looked at the dimensions, and those bezels end up being pretty thick!

Looking forward to this :thumb:

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 16:01:52 »

will be first come first serve. If the MOQ is reached and more orders are coming in then we will have to hit exactly double the orders. so there will be "stepsizes"?

See here (that's also where I told everyone what we had discussed btw):
Is this idea still on the table?

Good question!
I discussed this with Silentreader and we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't make much sense to ship the PCBs around the globe twice. The big risk is that I might have to pay quite a lot of import fee. That would make the YAS more expensive for you so you wouldn't see any price benefit from combined shipping anymore.
So we agreed that it's the best solution for all that you contact Silentreader via PM for leftovers. He will also run extra PCBs of YAS very soon :)

And regarding the start of the SKBXX GB - damn it's a lot of work getting every little detail right and worked out. You'll have to wait another week (at least) :(

Know that there will be a certain number of slots for 60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and 75%:
60% Standard x18
60% WKL x8
60% HHKB x10
60% YAS x12
75% Standard x24

If more orders should come in we'll have to reach the double amount:
60% Standard x36
60% WKL x16
60% HHKB x20
60% YAS x24
75% Standard x48

The portions may change according to the orders. The numbers are what I expect based on the google forms.
Will be first come, first serve.
I'll let you know here before the GB goes live.

If the double amount shouldn't be enough I could triple - but let's not get too exited here  ;D
If there will be more YAS requests and less 60Standard for example, then I could easily shift the numbers in favor of your YAS62-PCB.

Well i decide to take YAS and HHKB version :))
Do you have estimation shipping price yet?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:40:30 »
Real neat concept :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Data

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 06:42:10 »

Any 75% PCB will work.
I will use the one from KBDfans.
There are other options, just look at Aliexpress:
- YMDK YMD75
- XD84 75% EEPW84

probably even more on taobao.

Perfect.  Thank you!

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 11:08:08 »
The scale arrived!
The prototype weighs 0.886kg (complete build, with caps and all, of course). In comparison, my Pok3r weighs a little bit less with 0.740kg. Keep in mind, that the prototype has a alu plate inside, while the final design will have a steel plate and will also have a tiny bit more material overall because it is a high profile case. So I estimate a complete build of the final SKB60 to be roughly 1kg. The SKB75 will weigh surely over 1kg.

This, means that I will be able to keep the shipping packages under 2kg. Usually up to 2kg isn't too expensive when shipping internationally.

Not decided jet if I should set a fixed shipping price for all (non-european) orders or if I'll set it per country. Also looking into the possibility of a proxy, but I guess you wouldn't save that much and I would have much more work and organization to do.

And, still got to wait until I'll get the samples, takes a while.

Offline kiettv12

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 11:14:11 »
in for 75% and the price looks really good

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 11:22:10 »
Also I updated the plate for the SKB75 slightly in order to make some more layouts possible, which the EEPW84 and YMD75 (the two PCBs I mentioned earlier) provide.

Layout Nr.6 with the 6U spacebar is my favorite, btw :)

EDIT:

I just looked a bit closer at the pictures of the EEPW84-PCB. Looks like the controller is placed on a little extra board which sits on the underside of the PCB at the very lowest row. That might add just a bit too much height so this little addon controller board will maybe collide with the bottom of the case. Sorry can't say for sure, so hereby I withdraw support for the EEPW84-PCB!

So stick to the KBDfans75 or YMD75.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 January 2018, 12:04:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #272 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 14:55:48 »
Thank you for the measurements.

I weighed some cherry profile GMK caps, and a 60% set was approximately 65g.

Each MX switch weighs approximately 1.6g.
61 switches in a standard layout 60% board ->  61(1.6g) = 97.6g -> 98g

886g - 98g - 65g = 723g for case/plate

I understand that this is the low profile prototype with an aluminum plate instead of a steel plate, but at least this gives us somewhat of an idea of how much this case will weigh.

As a comparison, KBDFans' 5degree case weighs 805g without a plate. Seems like this will be slightly lighter than that option if we compare the cases without plates
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:21:36 by P1kas »

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:07:53 »
For everyone who want SKBYAS and don't have PCB.
I have some extras, you can check it on my thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0

Edit :
I will open groupbuy for extras until 15 Feb

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 09:47:38 »
For everyone who want SKBYAS and don't have PCB.
I have some extras, you can check it on my thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0

Nice!

I got mine already :)
Now I'm well prepared for various SKBXX versions:

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 09:50:19 »
Small update:

As you know I decided to get samples before the actual GB. I'm still waiting for them and all I know is that they will be finished some time this month.
Although this takes more time I think the samples are important for the following reasons:
a) Everybody will know exactly what he/she is getting.
b) I hope the samples will help to convince more to join the GB so that we safely reach the minimum quantity to actually make it happen.

So again, sorry for more waiting.

Offline lorento

• The Eye Key
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheEyeKey/
Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (waiting for samples)
« Reply #276 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:39:36 »
Do not worry, try to do good, I always support products with good finishing
Do something for your keyboard
Artisan of The Eye Key
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEyeKey/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theeyekey/
Discord: https://discord.gg/ey7Enr8sWc

Offline Data

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:36:54 »
Small update:

As you know I decided to get samples before the actual GB. I'm still waiting for them and all I know is that they will be finished some time this month.
Although this takes more time I think the samples are important for the following reasons:
a) Everybody will know exactly what he/she is getting.
b) I hope the samples will help to convince more to join the GB so that we safely reach the minimum quantity to actually make it happen.

So again, sorry for more waiting.

Happy to wait.  Good pre-production samples are key to discovering any design flaws.  I'm waiting on a PCB anyway so it's all the same to me.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 02:11:42 »
Any updates?

He mentioned over DT, that ETA for the samples is mid March.

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 10:07:29 »
Any updates?

He mentioned over DT, that ETA for the samples is mid March.

exactly, now I know when I'll get the samples, mid of march, like kokokoy mentioned correctly.

Offline E_rik

« Reply #281 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 11:01:26 »
The height adjustment feature from the opening post is still part of the plan?

« Reply #282 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:04:34 »
The height adjustment feature from the opening post is still part of the plan?

of course! 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 degrees, exactly like the pictures in the opening post.

not long and I finally get the samples. when I have them, I'll need like another week to get good photos and then I can finally start the GB. hope people haven't forgotten about this by then :(

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:36:36 »
I remember loving the 75% version of this with its black industrial design. Can you please remind me will 65% be offered also or just 60/75?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:52:03 »
There will only be 60% and 75% this time, the 65% is only the first prototype. I'm already looking forward to this GB, wkl 60% is my choice  :thumb:

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #285 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:25:48 »
IN +1 60%  +1 75% Looks super dope. looking forward to see samples :thumb:

would the b.mini fit?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:30:42 by pon10 »

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 07:29:42 »
would the b.mini fit?

You mean this one?
YES.
Any PCB will fit. Due to the fact that this is a top-mount case, there are no compatibility issues with any PCB (maybe just one exeption). You just have to check if the plate supports the layout you want to go for.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 07:42:34 »
this still has my attention. depending on the price point. :) glad to this project moving forward

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:16:24 »
would the b.mini fit?

You mean this one?
YES.
Any PCB will fit. Due to the fact that this is a top-mount case, there are no compatibility issues with any PCB (maybe just one exeption). You just have to check if the plate supports the layout you want to go for.

You should probably clarify that this will work with PCBs with the port between Esc and F1.

Based on your renders I don't believe this case will work with centre ported PCBs like the Leeku PCBs used in in the Korean Customs like TX75 or Duck PCB in the Octagon and the likes.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:25:11 »
would the b.mini fit?

You mean this one?
YES.

COOL :thumb: plate is perfect! :-*

Just the 75% b.mini this one :)

Again looking forward for the samples  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:28:22 by pon10 »

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:59:54 »
would the b.mini fit?

You mean this one?
YES.

You should probably clarify that this will work with PCBs with the port between Esc and F1.

Based on your renders I don't believe this case will work with centre ported PCBs like the Leeku PCBs used in in the Korean Customs like TX75 or Duck PCB in the Octagon and the likes.

OH, you're totally right, thanks! I wasn't aware PCBs with centered USB port are a thing.
So only PCBs with the USB port at the "standard" position between Esc and 1/F1 will work.

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:07:50 »
I think since I posted the plates here the last time I made some small updates to make some more layouts possible. So here are the latest plate versions:

Offline dr-slump

« Reply #293 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:14:57 »
Yess. Nice. It's now compatible with my preferred layout! I wanted one from the beginning but it's perfect now!

And I do have to support a local guy!  :thumb:

Servus aus BASF City!!!

Really stoked about it now.
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:05:31 »
OK, I was informed that I can pick up the samples next Tuesday or Wednesday.
FINALLY!

Offline hansichen

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:09:16 »
Awesome  :thumb:

Offline Draic

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:52:01 »
The only PCB for YAS-Layouts is the YAS62, correct? Or is there a USB-C option somewhere for this layout?

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:54:26 »
The only PCB for YAS-Layouts is the YAS62, correct? Or is there a USB-C option somewhere for this layout?

Nope. No USB-C.

Offline apejonk

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:56:04 »
OK, I was informed that I can pick up the samples next Tuesday or Wednesday.
FINALLY!
Neat! :) Really look foward to see how it turned out and the Group Buy.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline Draic

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 11:53:36 »

Nope. No USB-C.

Thanks. Will go for the HHKB plate then :)