Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98897 times)

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (waiting for samples)
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 12:12:56 »
OK, I was informed that I can pick up the samples next Tuesday or Wednesday.
FINALLY!

I smell we are ready for GB next month  :))

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:42:57 »
Argh, if this and Modern M0110 happen at the same time I'm toast. Would like to get a WKL SKB60.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Data

« Reply #302 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:54:05 »
OK, I was informed that I can pick up the samples next Tuesday or Wednesday.
FINALLY!

Excellent.  My PCB should arrive next week.  I am ready!  :thumb:

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:09:59 »
Finally got the samples on Wednesday!

Big relief, everything is fine and fits.

The plan was to only show you the samples after I finished a nice build and took superduper DSLR pictures. But now I feel like I don't wanna let you wait any longer and it might take at least another week until I have DSLR pics. Also someone told me he thinks that quick n dirty mobile pics are more honest and trustworthy. At least I finished the build today.

Though there is one changes I want for GB production. The bead blasting is too fine, I want it to be much rougher. Good thing I made the samples.

So here is one teaser picture:

the rest is on imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/5wfjv
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:11:39 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline hansichen

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:22:05 »
That prototype is really nice, I'm definitely hyped for the group buy!  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 20:27:26 »
It looks great!

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:30:52 »
I quite like how the second prototype turned out.

Would you be willing to weigh this prototype as well?

Also, have you been able to figure out pricing for these?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:37:56 by P1kas »
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Draic

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:38:04 »
I like the prototype but really hate that big cutout on the bottom. Just for the reset switch? If there is no way to close that cutout, I think it is kind of stupid :/

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:23:37 »
It is for the reset switch, yes.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 12:51:57 »

Cool sample, good industrial aesthetic, but that massive cutout is really not necessary in my opinion, seeing as you can set a hotkey in QMK to enter the bootloader. I'd like to see you go without this cutout. Especially for 75% version where I can't even think of any PCB that has a reset switch (KBD75 PCB does away with it after round 2 IIRC)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Draic

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 12:55:36 »
but that massive cutout is really not necessary in my opinion, seeing as you can set a hotkey in QMK to enter the bootloader. I'd like to see you go without this cutout.

exactly

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:02:33 »
Nice prototype, but I don't like so much the cutout of the usb port. I don't understand why there's the need for the two cutouts to extend to the top. I'd prefer a cleaner look.

One of the nicest example of aluminium is the apple a1243 keyboard.

I hope that this gb will be successful and that we can have a tkl too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 14:02:40 by Giorgio »

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 15:10:40 »
I guess the usb cutout has to be that way to allow for the variable angle. The pcb is top mounted and so the usb port moves with the top half when the angle is changed. I am fine with it the way it is right now.

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:18:30 »
What's the timeline for this GB? Please, make it happen. The kit is great.

only little details to sort out, better pictures, shipping options, then preparing the GB thread and go. hopefully starting in less that two weeks from now.

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:19:17 »
I quite like how the second prototype turned out.
Also, have you been able to figure out pricing for these?

of course I'll weight it - you know I bought that scale especially for that ;)
will do it tomorrow.
pricing, sorry still not exactly figured out but no change from the last prediction so far, between 130 and 160 euro.

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:21:12 »

Cool sample, good industrial aesthetic, but that massive cutout is really not necessary in my opinion, seeing as you can set a hotkey in QMK to enter the bootloader. I'd like to see you go without this cutout. Especially for 75% version where I can't even think of any PCB that has a reset switch (KBD75 PCB does away with it after round 2 IIRC)

I like the prototype but really hate that big cutout on the bottom. Just for the reset switch? If there is no way to close that cutout, I think it is kind of stupid :/

well, it really is quite a big. was just to make sure that PCBs where the switch may be at a slightly different position will be ok with it as well. look at the zeal PCB for example. changing it is no big deal of course. but why would the cutout on the bottom bother you so much? I'll take a look at it.

EDIT:
regarding the hotkey in QMK to enter the bootloader - yes, I realised that as well today. what about non qmk PCBs?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:42:25 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:22:34 »
Nice prototype, but I don't like so much the cutout of the usb port. I don't understand why there's the need for the two cutouts to extend to the top. I'd prefer a cleaner look.

One of the nicest example of aluminium is the apple a1243 keyboard.

I hope that this gb will be successful and that we can have a tkl too.

I guess the usb cutout has to be that way to allow for the variable angle. The pcb is top mounted and so the usb port moves with the top half when the angle is changed. I am fine with it the way it is right now.

exactly! that's the reason. I'll point these kind of things out in the GB.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:52:00 »

well, it really is quite a big. was just to make sure that PCBs where the switch may be at a slightly different position will be ok with it as well. look at the zeal PCB for example. changing it is no big deal of course. but why would the cutout on the bottom bother you so much? I'll take a look at it.

EDIT:
regarding the hotkey in QMK to enter the bootloader - yes, I realised that as well today. what about non qmk PCBs?

It's not the cutout on the bottom, it's the fact that the cutouts continues to the top that is ugly in my opinion

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 22:39:00 »

what about non qmk PCBs?

Very important to consider this. While the cutout may not be a problem for QMK, this may not be the case for every PCB.

Offline Draic

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 04:09:55 »

EDIT:

frankly, I do not care for non QMK pcbs, but that is just me. I simply want a case that is closed all the way around. I am transporting my keyboards quite a bit and that hole would just annoy me. So at the very least I would like to see it decreased in size. Maybe if it would not be just a giant hole would also help, asI think the round cutout does not fit with the rest of the design. This way it looks more like a mistake, than part of the keyboard. You will never be able to offer 100% compatibility for every PCB that ever was, so a smaller cutout that will serve its function for 90% of the PCBs should be good enough. If you are unwilling to simply scrap the idea and close it completely (would be my preference), I would like to see a screw in plate from the inside, so people can close it for good if they do not need it (QMK is quite popular :p). I understand this increases costs, just voicing my wishes.
Maybe put it up to a vote what options people prefer. Always hard to judge if the vocal people are a majority or minority.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 04:20:01 by Draic »

Offline pomk

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 04:54:02 »

what about non qmk PCBs?

Very important to consider this. While the cutout may not be a problem for QMK, this may not be the case for every PCB.
TMK can be configured to go to bootloader mode with a key combo as well. Bootmapper boards have a PCB specific key you need to press while connecting the USB. Authentic Poker PCBs have dip switches at that location, but I would be amazed if someone used an actual Poker PCB to build their board. Nerd PCBs don't have a separate "bootloader mode".
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 05:05:59 by pomk »

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 06:12:05 »
This is very interesting, I'm a fan! Good work
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline Draic

« Reply #323 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 06:29:05 »

what about non qmk PCBs?

TMK can be configured to go to bootloader mode with a key combo as well. Bootmapper boards have a PCB specific key you need to press while connecting the USB. Authentic Poker PCBs have dip switches at that location, but I would be amazed if someone used an actual Poker PCB to build their board. Nerd PCBs don't have a separate "bootloader mode".

QMK, TMK and Bootmapper are all fine without a cutout then, so I would argue it is really not needed for most people.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #324 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 07:08:37 »
[hidden]

what about non qmk PCBs?

[/hidden]
QMK, TMK and Bootmapper are all fine without a cutout then, so I would argue it is really not needed for most people.

I agree with a few up that some of the cutouts are a bit out of style, e.g. this huge circular cutout.

But to conclude "most people" (aka > 50% users) do not need that cutout, implying they do not need to access that reset button is a bit far-fetched.
I would say, unless a reset key-combo is set as default for all QMK and TMK and other PCBs, and that such a default reset key-combo is clearly written in easily accessible documentation of the PCB, the reset button is still the most obvious and no-brainer way to reset most PCB equipped with that.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline pomk

« Reply #325 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 08:36:54 »
[hidden]

what about non qmk PCBs?

[/hidden]

I agree with a few up that some of the cutouts are a bit out of style, e.g. this huge circular cutout.

But to conclude "most people" (aka > 50% users) do not need that cutout, implying they do not need to access that reset button is a bit far-fetched.
I would say, unless a reset key-combo is set as default for all QMK and TMK and other PCBs, and that such a default reset key-combo is clearly written in easily accessible documentation of the PCB, the reset button is still the most obvious and no-brainer way to reset most PCB equipped with that.
All people can program the PCB with a key combo before screwing on the bottom of the case. "Ruining" all cases because some people do not know how to program their boards is a bit silly.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #326 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 08:46:11 »
Create big hole.

Sell plugs to close hole.

Profit!

Offline apejonk

« Reply #327 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 09:44:21 »
As someone who is definitely going to buy this case, I wouldn't mind if the cutout would be gone.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline Data

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 14:54:36 »
The hole for reset access doesn't bother me.  It's on the bottom and you should never see it once you've finished building.

Are these the same people who complain about a giant hole for dip switches?  If a PCB has certain features then some accommodation should be made for them no matter how useful you subjectively think they'll be.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #329 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:41:41 »
If a PCB has certain features then some accommodation should be made for them no matter how useful you subjectively think they'll be.

I'm inclined to agree with this statement.

Offline Draic

« Reply #330 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 16:57:14 »
That is why I asked for a way to close the cutout (and change the shape). That way everyone would be happy. Otherwise create a vote and let the majority decide if they want that cutout or not.

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:22:56 »
Regarding the HOLE situation:

The hole for reset access doesn't bother me.  It's on the bottom and you should never see it once you've finished building.

Are these the same people who complain about a giant hole for dip switches?  If a PCB has certain features then some accommodation should be made for them no matter how useful you subjectively think they'll be.

I am 100% in line with this opinion.

But please chillout guys, some don't want it, some don't care but no one desperately needs it. In case someone does, you can still open the case of course. Consider the hole to be gone completely, less work for the LASER.

Beware: if now others come at me screaming to bring back the hole, then I might change my mind about it again :)

Btw, yesterday I dealt with QMK, made a keymap and flashed it to the board. This tutorial was very helpful. Guess what I used to flash: yes, I pressed that little button through the hole :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:24:46 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:36:34 »

The weight is: 0.970 kg
for comparison, my Pok3r weighs 0.802 kg

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #333 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 12:00:58 »
Thank you.

Offline apejonk

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 12:42:13 »
How do the screws feel btw? I showed this to my girlfriend and she brought up the point that they might be uncomfortable.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline Data

« Reply #335 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:08:28 »
Regarding the HOLE situation:

I am 100% in line with this opinion.

But please chillout guys, some don't want it, some don't care but no one desperately needs it. In case someone does, you can still open the case of course. Consider the hole to be gone completely, less work for the LASER.

Beware: if now others come at me screaming to bring back the hole, then I might change my mind about it again :)

Btw, yesterday I dealt with QMK, made a keymap and flashed it to the board. This tutorial was very helpful. Guess what I used to flash: yes, I pressed that little button through the hole :)

Is it possible to remove a screw from each side and pivot the top enough to access the button without disassembling the entire board?

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:48:06 »
How do the screws feel btw? I showed this to my girlfriend and she brought up the point that they might be uncomfortable.

Good point, I was curious to find out about this. I don't feel the screws at all. When typing you don't come in contact with the frame/bezel anyway, that doesn't happen with any keyboard (at least not when I type). Then there are the situations when you don't type and your fingers rest on the keyboard. Mostly my fingers rest on the keys itself so in this case I don't feel the screws either. Sometimes my fingers wander around the key area and on the bezel/frame and then of course I do feel the screws but not in an obtrusive kind of way. They immediately become a part of the whole body and my fingers instinctively use them as kind of orientation points somewhat like the bumps on the F and J keys.

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:00:02 »
Is it possible to remove a screw from each side and pivot the top enough to access the button without disassembling the entire board?

You can leave the two front screws in and open it until a certain angle. This angle is about 30°. If your fingers are not huge then they have just enough space to get in and reach the button.

Offline Data

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:33:38 »

You can leave the two front screws in and open it until a certain angle. This angle is about 30°. If your fingers are not huge then they have just enough space to get in and reach the button.
That's interesting. Thanks.

Offline need

« Reply #339 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:56:07 »
The case almost looks like its made for dolch

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:18:56 »

... They immediately become a part of the whole body and my fingers instinctively use them as kind of orientation points somewhat like the bumps on the F and J keys.

I was so thrown off when I switched from a 60% to a wider one as I could not position my right pinky on the edge of the keyboard, kept pressing the wrong keys. The screws sound like a nice homing system. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 07:14:30 »
Yesterday I made a second build from the samples I got. This time the HHKB version. Wanted this to be a perfect build so it took quite some time, here is the IMGUR album.
And a little teaser again:

Offline Data

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)
« Reply #342 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 07:44:26 »
Vintage blacks?  Sweet Jesus...

OK, stop teasing us and GIVE THE GB.  :D

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #343 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:02:14 »
cool cool cool! :cool:

« Reply #344 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:10:12 »
Vintage blacks?  Sweet Jesus...

OK, stop teasing us and GIVE THE GB.  :D

oh no, they were absolutely not vintage. just got that board for like 5euro and only to harvest the springs and stabs. because the mx-silent-blacks that i wanted to use had mx-red springs inside - yes I know, sound strange, but that really happened. were from a GB recently. since I absolutely don't feel comfortable typing on light springs, I swapped the standard mx-black springs in.

I hope I have the GB ready next week :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:16:26 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #345 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 09:20:39 »
I’ve almost decided to get both sizes after looking at the prototype. I just can’t get enough of that industrial toughness

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #346 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:20:21 »
I need to take a  trip to Germany this summer with the sole purpose of getting a full keyboard of vintage blacks I can bring home.

Offline thokir

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:23:23 »
I need to take a  trip to Germany this summer with the sole purpose of getting a full keyboard of vintage blacks I can bring home.
I am from germany and didn't find a single vintage black keyboard for less than the usual switch price so far...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #348 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:31:55 »
Well, I'll come for the keyboards, and stay for the beer while I search. :) Got to hit up those recycling centres.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 11:57:19 »
Well, I'll come for the keyboards, and stay for the beer while I search. :) Got to hit up those recycling centres.

In order to access those recycling centers, one needs an official permit; and in order to have an official permit of such kind, one needs to represent or own a company related to the task of visiting the recycling centers; in order to own or represent a company in Germany ... etc.

Or just contact Wodan when you are in Germany. He has a batch of keyboards with vintage blacks from the US.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]