Author Topic: [IC] GMK Lazurite | GB Ends June 6, 2021  (Read 153622 times)

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
[IC] GMK Lazurite | GB Ends June 6, 2021
« on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 05:54:29 »

GO TO GROUP BUY LINK

GMK LAZURITE
An allusion to High Renaissance art and the value of the pigment ultramarine

Hello geekhack! This keycap set is inspired by my curiosity about the color blue and my love for Renaissance art. :D This is my first time designing a keycap set so please bear with me.

Why Lazurite?

Blue was an extremely expensive pigment in ancient times. In order to create this pigment, painters had to grind up the semi-precious stone lapis lazuli, and turn it into ultramarine, a deep blue pigment priced at the same value as gold during the Renaissance period. Ultramarine came from Latin "ultra marinus" which means "beyond the sea" as the lapis lazuli required to create the pigment is imported from Badakhshan, Afghanistan. Because of this, the pigment was only used for the most important subjects of paintings in Europe at the time. It became the hallmark of Renaissance paintings created by many historical painters of that period.

Lazurite is the blue component of the gemstone lapis lazuli, a lazurite-calcite-pyrite rock that has been mined from Badakhshan and was used for jewelries even before being discovered by the Egyptians and Europeans. Lazurite is ultramarine in color, commonly found embedded on a calcite marble, with pyrite accents.

Group Buy Schedule: May 7, 2021 to June 6, 2021

Where to place your group buy orders?

GMK Lazurite Kits and Accessories

EU : MyKeyboard
US : Mechs & Co.
UK : Proto[Typist] Keyboards
CA : Desk[H]ero
Oceania (AU/NZ) : Daily Clack
CN/East Asia : zFrontier (EN)
CN : zFrontier (CN)
South Korea : SwagKeys
SEA : iLumkb
Latin America : Fancy Customs
Philippines : Zion Studios PH

Separate PATAG x Lazurite Deskmat Links
*Some vendors have the same product page links with GMK Lazurite kits

Philippines : PATAG
CA : Desk[H]ero
Latin America : Fancy Customs
SEA : iLumkb

KBDfans x Lazurite Keyboard
*DOES NOT come with the keycap set

Worldwide : KBDfans x Lazurite D60Lite

GMK Lazurite Kits and Accessories Pricing

Updates

Previous
More
11/13/20
-added SwiftCables of Thailand for an Asia + Global collab coiled cable. Special thanks to Alex for this enthusiasm re this set.

11/16/20
-confirmed ALL novelty designs can be made by GMK
-confirmed EU Vendor: MyKeyboard.eu
-confirmed Oceania (AU/NZ) Vendor: Daily Clack
-added The Cloud (Arizona, US) as collaborator for artisan keycaps.
-split novelties kit into 3 (High Renaissance GoBl, WoBl, BloW) and add renders

11/17/20
-confirmed CN/East Asia Vendor: zFrontier
-added LandCaps (Indonesia) as collaborator for artisan keycaps

11/19/20
-added 2 desk mats (Paint Frame and Renaissance Ornament)
-added 2 desk mat colorways (Ultramarine and Calcite)

11/21/20
-added Clarie Cuztom (Vietnam) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
-added krapshop (Malaysia) as collaborator for artisan keycaps

11/22/20
-added sandun (Korea) as collaborator for artisan keycaps.
-in discussion with KEYFORGE for artisan keycap collaboration.

11/25/20
-added Primecaps Artisans (Canada) as collaborator for artisan keycaps

11/28/20
-confirmed CA vendor: Deskhero
-confirmed SEA vendor: iLumkb

12/01/20
-added renders with novelties on Reasonable65 and RAMA U80-A

12/05/20
-added DEAGcaps (US) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
-added Buckeys! (Philippines) as collaborator for artisan keycaps

12/06/20
-confirmed US vendor: Mechs & Co.
-confirmed South Korea vendor: Swag Keys

12/07/20
-tentative schedule for Lazurite's group buy is February 2021
-removed the special White on Blue Ultramarine kit choice to give respect to Zambumon's Striker R2 run
-updated renders (removed renders with blue mods)
-renamed the Gold on Blue special base kit to Ultramarine x Gold
-removed High Renaissance - WoBl (White on Blue) novelties
-added High Renaissance - BloG (Blue on Gold) novelties
-confirmed Chile/South America vendor: Fancy Customs
-added Keebsake (Philippines) as collaborator for artisan keycaps

12/08/20
-revealed 1st artisan keycap sample in collaboration with Buckeys! (Philippines)

12/09/20
-all 3 artisan keycaps in collaboration with Buckeys! (Philippines) revealed

12/10/20
-3 desk mat design actual sample photos shown
-confirmed collaboration with KEYFORGE (Salt Lake City, Utah) for artisan keycaps

12/12/20
-added a new signature banner
-confirmed collaboration with RAMA WORKS for metal artisan keycaps
-artisan keycaps in collaboration with Krapshop (Malaysia) revealed
-added Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US) as collaborator for custom artisan wrist rest

12/14/20
-Resin Boy Project (Philippines) Lazurite Wrist Rest teaser image uploaded

12/18/20
-updated the High Renaissance Novelties kit with a proper render
-removed High Renaissance (Blue on Gold) novelties kit

12/19/20
-confirmed collaboration with ZappyCappys (US) for resin artisan keycaps
-confirmed collaboration with Bowbie Keycaps (US) for bearbie artisans

12/21/20
-updated the High Renaissance Novelties kit | support for 40%/orthos, 60% (HHKB, Tsangan, WKL), 65%, 75%, 80% TKL and full-sized layout

12/22/20
-confirmed collaboration with Golden Star Keycaps (Vietnam) for artisan keycaps

12/23/20
Major Kit Revision
fixed Lazurite (base) - revamped R1 function row to match Calcite, removed '00' key, changed all mods' legends to text-only to keep the set clean and to match the intricate novelties (modern icon mods does not match the regal look of the novelties)
fixed Calcite (alternate alphas) - removed numpad and revamped R1 function row
added Lapis (spacebars) - for Alice, 40% and split support
fixed Pyrite (accent) - added accent spacebars and arrow keys (No numpad Enter GoBl key included to match the base kit)
added Ultra (extension) - for 40%/orthos layout support

12/28/20
-artisan keycaps in collaboration with LandCaps (Indonesia) revealed

12/29/20
-added renders of RAMA WORKS M60-A for 60% layout

12/30/20
-GB schedule announced! Lazurite launches February 1, 2021

01/04/21
-artisan keycap collaboration with Skull Keycaps (Philippines) announced

01/07/21
-NEW IC Form uploaded
-revealed 1 out of 2 collaboration cables by Swift Cables

01/10/21
-revealed artisan wrist rest collaboration with Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US)
-revealed artisan keycap collaboration with Skull Keycaps (Philippines)

01/16/21
[RAFFLE]
Skull Keycaps (Philippines) x GMK Lazurite Megalodon - Lazurite Raffle
January 18, 2021
10AM, GMT+8
Only 10 sculpts made

01/27/21

-Group Buy launch is moved to February 12, 2021 to account for the final (minor) revisions of kits for Lazurite and the price quotes from GMK/UNIQEY.
-Majority of the people interested in acquiring the set wants Icon+Text mods legends hence I will be reverting it back to when I first uploaded the IC for the set.
-I have also created a Discord server for those who want to chill, get immediate updates and discuss anything about keysets and keyboards:

01/31/21
-Uploaded GMK Lazurite's box art. Hoping it does get to you as how I have imagined them. I believe GMK/UNIQEY always does a good job with these boxes. :D

02/02/21

-GMK Lazurite x Keebsake (PH) resin artisan keycaps revealed
-removed dropdown 'more' feature of Lazurite's collab photos to showcase the amazing masterpieces of Lazurite's collaborators

*Updated renders to match the final kits will be uploaded soon (on additional keyboard cases)

Keebsake x GMK Lazurite Resin Artisan Keycap

02/05/21

-Swift Cables has done an awesome job with the collaboration cables for GMK Lazurite!

Color options:
Cables
-Blue on Blue
-White on Blue
Aviator Connector
-Blue with White accent
-Gold with Blue accent
-White with Blue accent

Swift Cables x GMK Lazurite Cables

02/06/21

-adding renders of GMK Lazurite on other keyboard layouts (mod legends are changed to ICON+TEXT on the final kits)

GMK Lazurite on GHS.RAR by Gone Hacking Studio. Renders done by GHS.

02/06/21

-Added renders of GMK Lazurite with High Renaissance (Blue) Novelties on Pizza65, a 65% keyboard by Pizza Keyboards

02/07/21

-adding more keyboard renders, this time on Geon's F2-84[/size]

02/01/21

-Final kits submitted to GMK/UNIQEY. We will be waiting for the price quotes.
-A new vendor is added and we are bringing the set closer to my home country, Philippines through Zion Studios PH!
-This IC will still be organized to showcase all the collaborations for GMK Lazurite during the group buy period
-FINAL kit revisions (no further changes will be made unless otherwise for minimizing cost):
Reverted the legends to Icon+Text Mods for both Lazurite (base), Calcite (alternate alphas) Tab key, and Ultra (extension)
Removed the gold on blue Esc and Enter keys on Pyrite (accent) and ommitted gold <6.0u space bars
Trimmed down Ultra (extension), removed the gold spacebars
Added 3.0u spacebars to Lapis (spacebars) and removed the 6.0u white spacebars

02/12/21

-GB for GMK Lazurite is still pending as we wait for the price quotes, I will post updates on different platforms for everyone following the progress

-GB for Sandun x GMK Lazurite x Namong Keycaps Collab artisan keycaps are LIVE at Reddit with a bonus GIVEAWAY.

GB Link (more information about the sales): Sandun x Namong x Lazurite

02/16/21
-The prices of GMK Lazurite kits and PATAG x Lazurite deskmats will soon be finalized. We already have the price for the RAMA metal artisan Esc key and I will upload them altogether as soon as we are ready to announce.
-Everything follows afterwards, GB schedule will also be announced right after discussion with all the vendors. All planned giveaways shall happen and quick updates will be uploaded every now and then on my discord server and all platforms where I have uploaded GMK Lazurite.
-Uploaded updated renders of the RAMA WORKS M60-A with the Pyrite kit so you'd have a better look on how this kit accentuates the set. I will also be adding more updated renders to reflect the Icon+Text mods (keyboard renders at the bottom of this thread)

02/27/21

Raffle for Bowbie Keycaps x GMK Lazurite Bearbies is NOW LIVE until 10PM EST, February 27, 2021.
go to Bowbie Keycap's link in the Instagram account bio to access form

02/10/21

-Since we are still waiting for the price quotes from GMK/UNIQEY, we will be rescheduling the GB date for GMK Lazurite. We don't want to rush things and this will also help us prepare everything with breathing room before the actual dates. I am in constant communication with vendors, collaborators and everyone involved in this project.
-While there are things not going according to the initial plan, there is still great news for everyone, we will make sure the community is satisfied with the group buy (GIVEAWAY/S) on their way.  ;)

02/28/21

-Major kitting revision was done after communication with GMK. The gold custom color I used for the child kits needs to be present in the Lazurite base kit. Having NO gold custom color on the base kit pushes the child kits to a much larger MOQ of 250, which typically stands at 100. Our (me and lead vendor) resolution was to move the Pyrite (accent kit) to the Lazurite base while removing the gold arrow keys.
-We have done this revision after GMK sent back their feedback last week and we'll still be on the waiting end for the final quotes before we proceed to the set's group buy.

Hopefully, all goes well and I'll keep working hard (more renders, timely updates, planned giveaways, transparency, and keeping in touch with people who have further questions about the set) for everyone who has been following and supporting Lazurite.

03/13/21

For anyone who's been following the set, involved with this project, and would just like to get updates, I just came home from vacation :D
-After being thoroughly reviewed by the engineering team of GMK, it was reported back to me that I needed to revise the High Renaissance novelties (thickness and gaps), we were not able to push through with the GB schedule because I needed to do a rework. Redesigning the novelties made the contours more uniform than the previous ones. No changes were made with the key sizes and colors. This is already approved by GMK.
-I seized the opportunity to overhaul and optimize the kitting of the whole set one last time while redesigning the novelties, minimizing as much keys as possible while providing enough support for different layouts with the new base and child kits. You can always ask me through my Discord server if you ever need clarification re specifics of the set.
-All renders I uploaded with the old High Renaissance Novelties design will be re-uploaded

Thank you for the support! Hope you all are staying safe and healthy. As these words have stuck with me from my vacation, I'd like to tell you this as well:
Follow your bliss.

Meanwhile, here's my recent render of GMK Lazurite on KL-90 by Kiko's Lab

03/16/21

Slowly updating renders of GMK Lazurite after redesigning the novelties. I would like to share this amazing render of AXE60 by S61. (more renders under 60% keyboards)

03/25/21

-GMK Lazurite is finally going LIVE on May 7, 2021
-Price quotes from GMK are in, will be discussed with all vendors and will be uploaded anytime next week.
-All renders with the High Renaissance novelties will be updated with the NEW and revised novelty designs.

04/07/21

1month before the GB goes live, me and the vendors shall be discussing the pricing of all kits. Stay tuned!

New Renders of GMK Lazurite I did on thesiscamper's and Louis' KN2.10², a 60% keyboard with some nice curves which has ended its GB way back. It will have a 65% variant called LXV. Be sure to check out thesiscamper for updates about the 65% variant.

04/14/21

Uploading new render of GMK Lazurite's kits on Swift65, an upcoming 65% keyboard designed by Swift Cables

04/15/21

Finally got the permission to post the photos of GMK Lazurite's collaboration with Golden Star Keycap. Raffle for these artisan keycaps goes LIVE during GMK Lazurite's GB period.

Velites

Bara

Solunar

05/03/21

Less than a week going into the Group Buy of GMK Lazurite (Save the date: May 7, 2021)

I tried to do the renders of RAMA Lazurite, a metal artisan Esc keycap I designed in collaboration with RAMA WORKS so you get a feel of how it looks together with the keyset. Group Buy for GMK Lazurite will finally push through on May 7, 2021. Thank you very much for all the support!

Latest

05/06/21

This is going to be my last update for this IC thread other than modifying this thread for the GB link later. This will be a long update:

Pricing for GMK Lazurite kits and accessories

KBDfans x Lazurite D60Lite
a keyboard collaboration of GMK Lazurite with KBDfans
A 60% keyboard color-matched with GMK Lazurite's colors, sold as a group buy. Available from May 7, 2021 to June 7, 2021 at KBDfans.

P.S. The keyboard doesn't come with the keycapset.

More

FULL INFORMATION about the KBDfans x Lazurite D60Lite
Click more

More

Layout
60% WK and HHKB

Price
$119 (keycap set NOT included)

Where to buy?
https://kbdfans.com/collections/diy-kit/products/kbdfans-x-lazurite-d60lite

Keyboard Group Buy Date
May 7th to June 7th 2021
Keyboard Estimated Ship Date
2 months after the group buy

Specs
PCB: DZ60RGB-WKL RGB hot-swappable PCB ( QMK and VIA supportable,
Type-C, support Windows, Mac, Linux )
Plate: Polycarbonate
Stabilizers: KBDfans transparent stabs
Gasket: 2 sets of gaskets, injection-molded silicone gaskets, foam gaskets Switch foam: it's the type with the switch holes Bottom silicone pad:which is tightly fitted. Compared with kbd67lite, it is a newly added configuration.
Case: PC+ABS material, using an injection molding process, the surface is matte, opaque (The picture is rendered, physical picture will be updated later)
USB-C Cable
Colors: Bottom Case (Blue); Top Case (White), USB Port (Gold) - color-matched with GMK Lazurite
Typing angle: 6°
Gasket mount Designers:KBDfans Wei ( D60lite ); jaekeyed ( GMK Lazurite )

GMK Lazurite High Renaissance Novelties 1 and 2 Compatibility

I have requested permissions from twgecko (designer of GMK Civilizations) and simbusped (designer of GMK Earth Tones) to render Lazurite's novelties kits 1 and 2 to showcase how these two kits can be used to accompany existing or upcoming monotone keysets (same alphas and mods color). The limit to how your keyboard looks with the High Renaissance novelties kits is your imagination. You can take a look at these renders I made of 2 GMK sets paired with Novelties 1 and 2 respectively:

GMK Civilizations x GMK Lazurite High Renaissance (Gold) on KN2.10² by thesiscamper

GMK Earth Tones Base and Oxidane Kits x GMK Lazurite High Renaissance (Blue) on KN2.10² by thesiscamper

Alpha Keycaps x GMK Lazurite

Alpha Keycaps Keypora Lazurite

Alpha Keycaps Salvador Lazurite

If you are reading this, I'd like to let you know that it has been a rough road getting to this point. But I will always stay positive about this journey. Ultra marinus, the theme of this set means beyond the sea, representing us as a community, a distant bond but a precious one. I will always wish the best for all of you. Thank you for being a part of this journey!

-Get more updates and info about the set here:

GMK Lazurite Color Combination

Here is the summarized breakdown of how the set looks like in terms of colors:

For people who want minimal colors, ultramarine blue and white
Lazurite (Base): blue alphas, white mods
Calcite (Alternate Alphas): white alphas
Lapis (Spacebars): blue
High Renaissance (Blue) | Novelties 2: blue on white

For people who would like to accentuate their keycap set with gold on ultramarine blue
Lazurite (Base): blue alphas, white mods, gold accents
Lapis (Spacebars): gold
High Renaissance (Gold) | Novelties 1: gold on blue

I have added a few gold Esc and Enter keys for the 40s community so you can also have the 'pyrite' accents.
Ultra (Extension): blue on white, blue on gold

Kits

Lazurite - Base Kit
Ultramarine with a touch of white modifiers and gold accents. Wide range of layouts support (including 1800, full-size, basic US ISO, basic 40%, 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL, HHKB, WKL, Tsangan, Alice, etc.)
Inspiration: lapis lazuli's lazurite on a calcite marble with pyrite mineral accents

Colors: Blue, White, Gold accents

Calcite - Alternate Alphas Kit
An all white, minimalist alternative to Lazurite's ultramarine alphas
Inspiration: pure calcite marble with minimal touch of ultramarine

Colors: Blue on White

Lapis - Spacebars Kit
Includes ultramarine colored 6.0u centered stem and off-centered stem bars, split bars, and gold 'pyrite' bars to accentuate either the base or the alternate alphas kit

Colors: Blue, Gold accents

High Renaissance - Novelties Kits 1 and 2

The idea is to create a paint frame which acts as 'borders' on orthos, usual 40%, 60%, 65%, 75%, 80%/TKL, Tsangan, HHKB, WKL, 1800 and full-sized keyboards.

The ornamental novelties will serve as the paint frame's corners. Let's share the love and support for other layouts :D

High Renaissance (Gold) | Novelties Kit 1

Color: Gold on Blue

High Renaissance (Blue) | Novelties Kit 2

Color: Blue on White

Lazurite Kits with High Renaissance Novelties Renders

Ultra - Extension Kit
40%/orthos support
Inspiration: the 40% community, no need for a deeper meaning, I would just like to give love to the community.
Colors:Blue, Gold, White

PATAG x Lazurite Desk Mats

Specifications:
-900mm x 400mm
-microfiber top
-stitched edges
-rubber base

Notes:
-I have partnered Lazurite with a desk mat brand, PATAG that I founded last year
-PATAG is a brand geared towards promoting Filipino culture through our products (desk mats), with a commitment of sharing our profit to the local Filipino indigenous communities where designs are inspired from.
-Lazurite's desk mats are distinct from what we design as a brand. Even so, I have decided, being a majority owner of this venture, that our brand will be sharing part of the desk mats' sales profit to one of the art schools here in the Philippines to inspire local artists/designers in pursuing their talents.

Paint Frame Ultramarine

More

Paint Frame Calcite

More

Renaissance Ornament

More

GMK Lazurite Box Art

More

Keyboard Renders

40% Keyboards

Keeblade by Qlavier
More

Alice Keyboard

Charlotte by KraizesGB
More

60% Keyboards

RAMA WORKS M60-A by RAMA WORKS
More

Mekanisk Fjell by Mekanisk
More

AXE60 by S61
More

KN2.10² by thesiscamper
More

65% Keyboards

Swift65 by Swift Cables

Reasonable65 by Rizwanislol
More

Reasonable65

Reasonable65

Pillow65

Triple Threat: Lazurite kits on Pillow65 and Nemui

In focus: Calcite kit on Nemui by Bachoo

Pizza65 by Pizza Keyboards

75% Keyboards

GHS.RAR by Gone Hacking Studio (mods legends are changed to ICON+TEXT on the final kits)

KL-90 by Kiko's Lab
More

80% Keyboards

F2-84 by Geon
More

RAMA U80-A by RAMA WORKS
More

Collaborations

All collaboration pieces for GMK Lazurite. Some of the artisans have already been sold out (raffle type of sales). I will keep on updating all information and photos once there is a GB thread uploaded for the set. More information and ease of access to these collaboration pieces can be found on my Discord server.

Metal Keycap

RAMA WORKS (Australia)

RAMA WORKS x Lazurite Metal Esc Key
(Brass with Polished Gold PVD)

Renders with the keycap set on KN2.10² by thesiscamper

More

Keyboard

KBDfans x GMK Lazurite D60 Lite

More

Coiled USB Cables

Swift Cables

Mechanical Keyboard Bag

From Scratch

Artisan Keycaps

Golden Star Keycap (Vietnam)

GSK Velites

GSK Bara

GSK Solunar

Buckeys! (Philippines)

Buckeys! Eerie Lazurite and Maskara Lazurite

Buckeys! Rogue Lazurite

LandCaps (Indonesia)

LandCaps Rangda and Barong Lazurite

ZappyCappys (US)

Lazurite Arrow Set

Keebsake (Philippines)

Resin Dome Lazurite

Sandun Art (Korea)
Sandun x Namong x Lazurite GB + GIVEAWAY

Grim Reaper Lazurite

Namong Keycaps (Korea)
Sandun x Namong x Lazurite GB + GIVEAWAY

Baekho, Jujak and Dokkaebi Lazurite
More

Baekho Lazurite

Jujak Lazurite

Dokkaebi Lazurite

Krapshop (Malaysia)
(RAFFLE ENDED)

Catto19 Calcite

Catto19 Lazurite

Catto19 Raw Lazurite

Skull Keycaps (Philippines)
(RAFFLE ENDED)

Megalodon Lazurite

CECEcaps (Vietnam)
(RAFFLE ENDED)

Gukong Lazurite

Bowbie Keycaps (US)
(RAFFLE ENDED)

Bearbie Lazurite

(Waiting for sample photos - ALL CONFIRMED)
Primecaps Artisans (Canada)
KEYFORGE (Salt Lake City, Utah)
Zero Sky Keycaps (Philippines)
The Cloud (Arizona, US)     
DEAGcaps (US)

Artisan Wrist Rest

Resinboy Project (Philippines)

Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US)

If you want to view the photos like a gallery, you may check the Instagram link below where I also post updates, stories, collaboration raffles and renders of the set.

Updates/Change Log
Click 'more' to see updates.

Group Buy Schedule Updates
More
12/07/20
-tentative schedule for Lazurite's group buy is February 2021
01/27/21
-GB moved to February 12, 2021

Kitting Updates
More
11/12/20
Lazurite (base kit)
-removed 1.5u Shift
-removed alpha colored Esc key
Additional kit
-added a separate all Gold on Blue (GoBl) "Ultramarine is Gold" Kit choice
-Added a separate all White on Blue (WoBl) "Ultramarine" Kit choice
12/07/20
-removed the special White on Blue (WoBl) "Ultramarine" Kit choice to give respect to Zambumon's Striker R2 run
-renamed the Gold on Blue special base kit to Ultramarine x Gold
-removed High Renaissance - WoBl (White on Blue) novelties
-added High Renaissance - BloG (Blue on Gold) novelties
12/18/20
-removed High Renaissance - BloG (Blue on Gold) novelties
-added a Gold on White High Renaissance novelties kit as another option for a white based novelties kit (only one will be chosen for production)
12/21/20
-updated the High Renaissance Novelties kit | support for 40%/orthos, 60% (HHKB, Tsangan, WKL), 65%, 75%, 80% TKL and full-sized layout
12/23/20
fixed Lazurite (base) - revamped R1 function row to match Calcite, removed '00' key, changed all mods' legends to text-only to keep the set clean and to match the intricate novelties (modern icon mods does not match the regal look of the novelties)
fixed Calcite (alternate alphas) - removed numpad and revamped R1 function row
added Lapis (spacebars) - for Alice, 40% and split support
fixed Pyrite (accent) - added accent spacebars and arrow keys (No numpad Enter GoBl key included to match the base kit)
added Ultra (extension) - for 40%/orthos layout support

Vendors List Updates
More
11/16/20
-confirmed EU Vendor: MyKeyboard
-confirmed Oceania (AU/NZ) Vendor: Daily Clack
-confirmed CN/East Asia Vendor: zFrontier
11/28/20
-confirmed SEA Vendor: iLumkb
-confirmed CA Vendor: Deskhero
12/06/20
-confirmed US Vendor: Mechs & Co.
-confirmed South Korea Vendor: Swag Keys
12/07/20
-confirmed Chile/South America vendor: Fancy Customs

Collaborations Updates
More
11/13/20
-added SwiftCables of Thailand as collaborator for coiled cable.
11/16/20
-added The Cloud as collaborator for artisan keycaps
11/17/20
-added LandCaps of Indonesia as collaborator for artisan keycaps
11/21/20
-added Clarie Cuztom of Vietnam as collaborator for artisan keycaps
-added krapshop as collaborator for artisan keycaps
11/22/20
-added sandun (Korea) as collaborator for artisan keycaps.
-in discussion with KEYFORGE for artisan keycap collaboration.
11/25/20
-added Primecaps Artisans (Canada) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
12/05/20
-added DEAGcaps (US) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
-added Buckeys! (Philippines) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
12/07/20
-added Keebsake (Philippines) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
12/08/20
-1st artisan keycap collab with Buckeys! sample revealed
12/09/20
-2 other artisan keycaps in collaboration with Buckeys! (Philippines) revealed
12/10/20
-confirmed collaboration with KEYFORGE (Salt Lake City, Utah) for artisan keycaps
12/12/20
-confirmed collaboration with RAMA WORKS for metal artisan keycaps
12/13/20
-artisan keycaps in collaboration with Krapshop (Malaysia) revealed
-added Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US) as collaborator for custom artisan wrist rest
12/18/20
-confirmed collaboration with ZappyCappys (US) for resin artisan keycaps
-confirmed collaboration with Bowbie Keycaps (US) for bearbie artisans
12/22/20
-confirmed collaboration with Golden Star Keycaps (Vietnam) for artisan keycaps
12/28/20
-artisan keycaps in collaboration with LandCaps (Indonesia) revealed
01/04/20
-added Skull Keycaps (Philippines) as collaborator for artisan keycaps
01/07/20
-revealed 1 out of 2 collaboration cables by Swift Cables
01/10/20
-artisan wrist rests in collaboration with Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US) revealed
-artisan keycaps in collaboration with Skull Keycaps (Philippines) revealed

Render Updates
More
11/12/20
Lazurite (base kit)
-added renders of Lazurite (base kit) with High Renaissance Novelties
-added renders of Ultramarine (full blue base kit) with High Renaissance Novelties
11/16/20
-added renders for High Renaissance novelties
12/01/20
-added renders with novelties on Reasonable65 and RAMA U80-A
12/07/20
-updated renders (removed renders with blue mods)
12/18/20
-updated the High Renaissance Novelties kit with a proper render

Special thanks to the following:

konstantin (you know who he is. ;D Thank you for kitting advices, I know I still need to rework other keys and some of the kit renders)
Andy and Gabriele of GMK (for being very accommodating ever since I started this passion project)
Discord keycap designer group:
NoPunIn10Did (DSS Late Harvest)
simbusped (GMK Earth Tones)
HungHingDaiLo (GMK Maestro)
Bobas (KAT Great Wave)
EURA
Nick's Clicks (GMK Lavender)
u/Rizwancameback (Reasonable65)
u/jkaos92 (Melody65)

MyKeyboard

For responding to my concerns about my blue GMK set, thank you for your kind words and nice gestures
Virtual (GMK Sumi)
ARSLOCK (GMK Classic Blue)
Tom (GMK Deep Navy)
Zambumon (GMK Striker)

And to everyone I have come across, who has been a part of this wonderful journey, showing support and sharing their feedback about this set.

Signature Banner
If you want to show your support for GMK Lazurite, copy and paste any of these codes to your signature  ;D Thank you!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112710.0][img]https://imgur.com/yMn8ekg.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 13:48:56 by jaekid »

Offline krzank

Re: [IC] GMK Lazurite
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 06:04:26 »
Base kit: Love alphas, hate mods
But with proper ISO support probably would buy it just for alphas.
Please add:R4:Pipe/Backslash and R3:Tilde/GraveAccent

Offline sp.people

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 06:07:37 »
blue color is really pretty. :)

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 06:18:39 »

Thanks! Do you mean a UK ISO when you said ‘proper’?

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 06:41:21 »
this is surprisingly nice. I'm interested for now esp with the dark alpha, light mod.
Suggestion: maybe add gold spacebar for accent?
Though tbh, with that small of a kit, just adding it to the base kit might be better. Not sure myself.

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:06:57 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:26:49 »
The picture-frame–like flourish novelties are really nice, it's perhaps what I enjoy most about this set :) Also, I hadn't seen the deskmats previously; I gotta say the “ornament” one is right up my alley.

Have you decided on which colors you'll be using exactly?

I think you can remove the blue 1u Esc key from the Lazurite base kit.
I second adding gold 6.25u and 7u spacebars to the accent kit.

I see you keep requesting this in various IC threads, and I've been meaning to tell you that this is neither proper nor standard ISO support. Did you perhaps mean to say tilde/hash (~#) instead of tilde/grave (`~)? Cause that would at least make some sense. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:50:21 by konstantin »

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:27:48 »
This set is going to look good on more keyboards than I realize right now, definitely a solid interest of mine from here on out. Also agreeing with the idea for a gold spacebar accent since we already have a few gold caps and the other space bars are in the base/alpha kits. Deskmats look clean too, the gold flourish style that konstantin pointed out is also catching my eye.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:31:04 by Anthixious »

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:49:40 »
I can’t get over how good is the ISO enter high renaisance novelty. Such a masterpiece. Bravo.

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:57:56 »
I'm actually really loving the novelties. Quite a bit, actually.

I would prefer dark mods, but I think I'd be in on this regardless. Just based on those novelties alone! Well done!

Offline krzank

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:26:56 »

Thanks! Do you mean a UK ISO when you said ‘proper’?
I'm sorry for that "proper ISO" is vague at best :-(
UK ISO would do the job but requires to include 123 & other keys too. I actually need to put some US (or US-like) keycaps on 60% ISO with 1.25U left shift so by "proper ISO" I mean something very minimal, adding to your kit:
- R4:Pipe/Backslash
- R3:Tilde/GraveAccent (preferred) or R3:Tilde/Hash (not ideal but will do).
will make me happy.
BTW: R4:<> key always surprises me in keycap sets that already have "<" & ">" on comma & dot keys.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:30:32 by krzank »

Offline krzank

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:31:26 »
Yet another thing: gold on blue is a way to go with all mods

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:39:34 »
The picture-frame–like flourish novelties are really nice, it's perhaps what I enjoy most about this set :) Also, I hadn't seen the deskmats previously; I gotta say the “ornament” one is right up my alley.

Have you decided on which colors you'll be using exactly?

I think you can remove the blue 1u Esc key from the Lazurite base kit.
I second adding gold 6.25u and 7u spacebars to the accent kit.

Thank you for the great feedback re the novelties! Will try to do renders of boards on these desk mats.

For the colors, as a nod to ultramarine, I'll be using the exact RAL Ultramarine and WS1. Not yet fully decided with the gold accent but I based it off of brass weights.

Will surely remove the blue 1u Esc, I missed this one, my bad.  :(
I will be adding those gold bars for the Pyrite kit. Np.  :D

Always great to see your feedback. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:01:04 by jaekid »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:44:22 »
Seems a bit complex for double shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:52:32 »
Seems a bit complex for double shot

This will depend on GMK's tolerances and specifications so I might have to wait for their response before I invest more time doing renders with the High Renaissance kit.

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:56:13 »
Who is ALSROCK? I'd like to meet them they have a similar name to me

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:59:53 »
Awesome set! The ultramarine is fantastic!

In the current state would grab the  base kit + the alternate alphas kit

Great work.

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 09:01:44 »
Who is ALSROCK? I'd like to meet them they have a similar name to me

Oh shoot!!! I'm really sorry. My deepest apologies. :-X

Offline yukitoki

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 09:05:13 »
gimmeeee :eek:

Offline misononyan

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 09:07:31 »
This is a beautiful set! I'm super impressed by those novelties. Is GMK even able to make molds for those?
GLWIC!

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 09:17:18 »

Great work.

Thank you! I’ll work my way towards GB, so that we’d have a hold of the final version of this set 😊

Offline deathman28

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 10:14:33 »
I really like the colors of this set especially the novelties looking forward to GB. Also its nice supporting local designers in this community :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 10:37:13 »
UK ISO would do the job but requires to include 123 & other keys too. I actually need to put some US (or US-like) keycaps on 60% ISO with 1.25U left shift so by "proper ISO" I mean something very minimal, adding to your kit:
will make me happy.
BTW: R4:<> key always surprises me in keycap sets that already have "<" & ">" on comma & dot keys.

There's one thing that I'm not getting here, so please help me out. If your use case is US ISO, why are you against keys that are intended for covering that exact layout (R3 \|, R4 <>)? If this sounds unfamiliar, please read through this and this to get an idea of what I'm referring to.

R3, not R4, is the main position for the pipe key in US ISO layouts. This is apparent if we take a look at both the “PC-style” and “terminal-style” traditional conventions, as well as US ISO implementations on Mac (which puts \| on R3 and `~ on R4 — opposite from your suggestion) and Linux (which puts \| on R3 and <> on R4).

Having the < and > legends duplicated across the R4, comma and period keys is no different from having `, ~ or # legends duplicated across the corresponding R4 and R1 keys. In actuality, the former option is even slightly better since at least the whole key isn't duplicated (<> as a whole is different from ,< .>); unlike with R1/R4 `~, where you do get a full duplicate key.

The other idea behind <> is that it also offers (limited) partial coverage for NorDe and related layouts, which together as a group represent the most statistically significant portion of ISO users. You can find the relevant breakdown here.

Let's recap: R3 \|, R4 \| (“PC-style”) and R3 \|, R4 <> (“terminal-style”) are the most appropriate* and de facto standard ways off adding US ISO or basic 4-key generic ISO support to a set. In custom keycap sets, we mostly choose to go with the latter option because it avoids duplicate keys, and also because it offers marginally better support for a larger number of users (primarily NorDe).

* Most appropriate in the sense that they're backed up by actual implementations.

However, with all that being said, I would like to add that something similar to your suggestion (R3 \|, R4 `~) does have merit in the case where a user would want to use the US ANSI logical layout on a 60% keyboard with an ISO physical layout. In that case, putting the tilde key to the right of 1.25u Shift would make sense, although it's not supported by standard US ISO layout implementations on PC and would require remapping firmware-side. I think this is something that could be worth keeping in mind when re-evaluating kitting best practices in the future, so thank you for indirectly bringing it to my attention.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 10:42:20 by konstantin »

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 11:01:58 »
Updates:
11/13/20
Lazurite (base kit)
-removed 1.5u Shift
-removed alpha colored Esc key
Additional special base kit (blue base)
-added a separate all Gold on Blue (GoBl) "Ultramarine is Gold" Kit choice
-added a separate all White on Blue (WoBl) "Ultramarine" Kit choice

*Answering the additional question re this set in the IC form will be a great help. Thank you!

Offline krzank

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:41:22 »
will make me happy.

There's one thing that I'm not getting here, so please help me out. If your use case is US ISO, why are you against keys that are intended for covering that exact layout (R3 \|, R4 <>)? If this sounds unfamiliar, please read through this and this to get an idea of what I'm referring to.

R3, not R4, is the main position for the pipe key in US ISO layouts. This is apparent if we take a look at both the “PC-style” and “terminal-style” traditional conventions, as well as US ISO implementations on Mac (which puts \| on R3 and `~ on R4 — opposite from your suggestion) and Linux (which puts \| on R3 and <> on R4).

Having the < and > legends duplicated across the R4, comma and period keys is no different from having `, ~ or # legends duplicated across the corresponding R4 and R1 keys. In actuality, the former option is even slightly better since at least the whole key isn't duplicated (<> as a whole is different from ,< .>); unlike with R1/R4 `~, where you do get a full duplicate key.

The other idea behind <> is that it also offers (limited) partial coverage for NorDe and related layouts, which together as a group represent the most statistically significant portion of ISO users. You can find the relevant breakdown here.

Let's recap: R3 \|, R4 \| (“PC-style”) and R3 \|, R4 <> (“terminal-style”) are the most appropriate* and de facto standard ways off adding US ISO or basic 4-key generic ISO support to a set. In custom keycap sets, we mostly choose to go with the latter option because it avoids duplicate keys, and also because it offers marginally better support for a larger number of users (primarily NorDe).

* Most appropriate in the sense that they're backed up by actual implementations.

However, with all that being said, I would like to add that something similar to your suggestion (R3 \|, R4 `~) does have merit in the case where a user would want to use the US ANSI logical layout on a 60% keyboard with an ISO physical layout. In that case, putting the tilde key to the right of 1.25u Shift would make sense, although it's not supported by standard US ISO layout implementations on PC and would require remapping firmware-side. I think this is something that could be worth keeping in mind when re-evaluating kitting best practices in the future, so thank you for indirectly bringing it to my attention.

I think you're getting it - almost perfectly.
1. Yes, 60% keyboard where esc replaces `~ (also applicable to 65%)
2. Yes, I meant firmware remap
By using R3`~ & R4\| I can still have direct access to `~ (not through FN layer) that has been relegated by esc.
I think this is good reason but you may ask why not R4`~ & R3\|
Here comes:
- cyrillic layout where Ё is mapped onto `~
- arabic layout where ذ is mapped onto `~
Just try swapping (firmware remap) any english letter with `~ on 60%/65% keyboard and you'll know what I mean. This actually is applicable to some other languages/scripts as well - accessing normal letters via FN layer is iritating.
There is one case where R4`~ & R3\|  does make sense - MAC ISO keyboard.
On MAC ISO Ё is mapped onto \| (arabic MAC layout is completely different animal).
Well, that is why I do use ISO (non-UK) remapping to R3`~ & R4\|
it helps even with latin only legends.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:43:43 by krzank »

Offline Dazon

Re: [IC] GMK Lazurite (FULL ultramarine base kits added - 11/13/20)
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:51:32 »
omg those NOVELTIES!! im in love with them :thumb:

Offline isot0nic

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:31:57 »
Good choice of blue!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:53:20 »
I'm so happy to finally see this in IC!!

This is my favorite blue set in IC officially <3

Please consider all of the changes I dmed you about.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 14:30:44 »
Does anyone have both a RAL 5002 (ultramarine) chip or card AND a GMK V4 blue key (Olivetti, handarbeit, most recently classic blue)?

Gold on Blue grows on me due to the obvious difference vs classic blue but this is mostly because I can’t quite visualize the difference.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 14:33:16 »
I love this set very much!

Offline Flexmaster

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 14:40:19 »
Beautiful

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 14:46:41 »
Full White on Blue set <3 Great job with everything! Novelties and deskmats look fantastic.
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline krzank

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 15:07:35 »
White on Ultramarine !!!
Forget what I was saying previously about Gold on Blue mods.
White on Ultramarine !!!

Offline low_key_keyboards

• I like to make custom keyboard cases.
    • Low Key Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 15:28:02 »
Very interested in this.

Getting big Fate/Zero - Fate/Stay Saber vibes.

Offline Curin Derwin

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 18:03:42 »
Very interested in this set. I left feedback on the IC,  but consider doing a full Gold on Blue set and selling a White on Blue modifier set separately. That way, if I buy both the Lazurite and Calcite sets, I have 2 complete sets if I buy the WoBlue Modifier set!

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 18:48:22 »
Very interested in this set. I left feedback on the IC,  but consider doing a full Gold on Blue set and selling a White on Blue modifier set separately. That way, if I buy both the Lazurite and Calcite sets, I have 2 complete sets if I buy the WoBlue Modifier set!

This would be highly considered, but for now, let me get more responses on the IC form.
Thank you very much for leaving a response! ;D Glad you liked this set!

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 19:41:41 »
Does anyone have both a RAL 5002 (ultramarine) chip or card AND a GMK V4 blue key (Olivetti, handarbeit, most recently classic blue)?

Gold on Blue grows on me due to the obvious difference vs classic blue but this is mostly because I can’t quite visualize the difference.

I don’t have the actual GMK V4 keys but I am presuming RAL Ultramarine has a slightly darker shade. I will be able to check this once I color match.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 20:13:15 »

Offline niakulah

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 20:14:57 »
This is beautiful! Very nice colours!

What I'd like to see:
1. A full Calcite base kit instead of an alternate alphas kit
2. You have numpad enter in the Pyrite accent kit, why not in the novelties?
3. Split space. 2.25U and 2.75U.

Offline Skandiluz

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 20:32:33 »
Hollllyyyyyy hell... those novelties! They are absolutely amazing! I’m in. I’m so in.

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 23:11:36 »
Updates:
11/12/20

So that you'd have a better view of how the novelties would look on a 65% board like this Reasonable65:

-added renders of Lazurite (base kit) with High Renaissance Novelties
-added renders of Ultramarine (full blue base kit) with High Renaissance Novelties
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2021, 07:08:56 by jaekid »

Offline tr0yr0x

• TWICE Fanboi
Re: [IC] GMK Lazurite (High Renaissance Novelties Renders Added)
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 02:31:31 »
Very noice dude

Offline chyll2

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 03:07:39 »
Nice Set! interesting specially with the novelties set.

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 03:20:34 »
Beautiful

Thank you! This is a great motivation as I move forward

Full White on Blue set <3 Great job with everything! Novelties and deskmats look fantastic.

Already updated with a special WoBl kit

I really like the colors of this set especially the novelties looking forward to GB. Also its nice supporting local designers in this community :)

Thank you very much!

omg those NOVELTIES!! im in love with them :thumb:

Very much appreciated! Thank you!

Great work.

Thank you! Have a great day!

This is a beautiful set! I'm super impressed by those novelties. Is GMK even able to make molds for those?
GLWIC!

I will have to wait for their response but I already followed their guidelines when I made these novelties.

I can’t get over how good is the ISO enter high renaisance novelty. Such a masterpiece. Bravo.

Thank you!

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 04:57:23 »
That ISO enter novelty rocks. I would really get that kit with ISO UK support (2" 3£ and '@ #~ keys at minima) - as always spending $200+ on a keyset means some higher expectations like not having duplicate symbols..

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 06:25:57 »
I love this set very much!

Thanks smokey! Congrats with your set!

Offline mou$e

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 06:49:36 »
Take my money.

Offline mirubere

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 08:42:57 »
Those novelties look amazing~!
GLWIC!

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 08:55:15 »
gold on blue looks aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 09:20:09 »
Lesgo! REPRESENT!  :thumb: