Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 562666 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES NOW LIVE!!!
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 21:01:48 »
Sold for some purples; but, I need help to decide on the spring's module: My preferred switch is an Ergo Clear with 65g golden springs I got from Sprit, what would be the closest purple to that modded Clear.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 21:07:04 »
Sold for some purples; but, I need help to decide on the spring's module: My preferred switch is an Ergo Clear with 65g golden springs I got from Sprit, what would be the closest purple to that modded Clear.

I have the 65g sprit springs, as well as 65g zealio samples. I'd say they're not comparable at all, because the zealio stem is a lot smoother. You literally can't compare side by side, but with the 65g sprit spring in the zealio, it is very similar.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 21:09:20 »

I have the 65g sprit springs, as well as 65g zealio samples. I'd say they're not comparable at all, because the zealio stem is a lot smoother. You literally can't compare side by side, but with the 65g sprit spring in the zealio, it is very similar.

Do you think that purples with stronger springs may be closer to Ergo Clears than 65g?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 23:05:15 »

Do you think that purples with stronger springs may be closer to Ergo Clears than 65g?

Sorry, it's impossible to put into words. Basically they're exactly the same as ergo clears, I don't know how to get more "closer to Ergo Clears", as they are literally the same thing. The only difference is that the Gateron stem is machined better than Cherry, so it is smoother, which leads to a better feeling.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #454 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 15:52:25 »

Sorry, it's impossible to put into words. Basically they're exactly the same as ergo clears, I don't know how to get more "closer to Ergo Clears", as they are literally the same thing. The only difference is that the Gateron stem is machined better than Cherry, so it is smoother, which leads to a better feeling.

Thank you for your comment, I am just trying to understand what spring module may feel closer to ergo-clears, I know they are not the same, and that the mold Gateron is using has a smoother surface than Cherry's; this means, they would feel lighter, even with the same force.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #455 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 16:22:20 »
I

Thank you for your comment, I am just trying to understand what spring module may feel closer to ergo-clears, I know they are not the same, and that the mold Gateron is using has a smoother surface than Cherry's; this means, they would feel lighter, even with the same force.

Someone related.  I have a set of stock clear springs to throw in to my zealios for trial.  I'm interested in feeling the difference between the molds at that weight.

Offline olijuice

« Reply #456 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:20:12 »
I just want to say a big thank you to Zeal. I've probably changed my order three times now, and every time he's been real helpful with the process. For Cherry switches I've been a Brown user and I recently tried Clears again after a long time of not typing on them. At first I thought they were too heavy for my liking but recently I have a new liking to them. I think I will probably really like them and get used to them after typing on them for a long period of time, so I am going to give them a few weeks for me to get used to them again.

I had originally only wanted to try Zealios 62g gram tactiles, but I feel like I'll be missing out if I never try out the other weights so I had to order all three because the Butt-hole Surfers once said "...It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do..." -RHCP

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #457 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:35:02 »
I just want to say a big thank you to Zeal. I've probably changed my order three times now, and every time he's been real helpful with the process. For Cherry switches I've been a Brown user and I recently tried Clears again after a long time of not typing on them. At first I thought they were too heavy for my liking but recently I have a new liking to them. I think I will probably really like them and get used to them after typing on them for a long period of time, so I am going to give them a few weeks for me to get used to them again.

I had originally only wanted to try Zealios 62g gram tactiles, but I feel like I'll be missing out if I never try out the other weights so I had to order all three because the Butt-hole Surfers once said "...It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do..." -RHCP

So Zeal, when do you start putting customer testimonials on your website?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:23:46 »

So Zeal, when do you start putting customer testimonials on your website?

Haha, I'll consider it. Though word of mouth has a greater impact. :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #459 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:57:21 »
as the end of the GB approaches, is there a better estimate of what the post-GB price markup is likely to be? Will there be a big difference?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:26:22 »
as the end of the GB approaches, is there a better estimate of what the post-GB price markup is likely to be? Will there be a big difference?

I'll be confirming a figure tonight/tomorrow.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #461 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:40:07 »
I should put my order in lol.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #462 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:41:03 »
Nah, wait until the last minute.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #463 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:43:10 »

+1, adrenaline injection is better than other drugs, it is free, and safe.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #464 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:43:35 »

Haha

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #465 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:04:56 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:07:20 by MrRooks »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #466 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:06:26 »
Is there something (other than aesthetics)different between these and a standard Gateron clear with a spring swap?

Gateron clears aren't like MX clears. They're (35g I believe) linears.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #467 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:08:39 »
Is there something (other than aesthetics)different between these and a standard Gateron clear with a spring swap?

Yeah I just realized that, is there a Gateron version of the clear or is this it?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #468 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:08:58 »

These switches all come with an RGB switch top which "fixes" the reported "catching" on certain switches/keycap configs. The RGB top is even tighter than current Gateron tops. Other than that, you can say that it's a prettier looking Gateron clear (linear) with a gold spring swap.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #469 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:10:20 »

Yeah I just realized that, is there a Gateron version of the clear or is this it?

Pretty sure clears are unique to Cherry branded switches, besides these.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #470 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:11:58 »

Purple Zealios are the only "MX Clear" like stem out in the market with modifications to further enhance the user experience.

Offline tern21

« Reply #471 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:24:54 »
When do you think that these will be in our hands?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #472 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:30:48 »

Cut to the chase ha!
 :p

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #473 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:21:09 »
Before the next olympics
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #474 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:24:38 »
Before the next olympics

Don't disappoint him.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #475 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 19:56:56 »

You want FREE adrenaline coursing through your veins, then start a fight at the Kalgoorlie's Palace Hotel and Gold Bar.  Best to smash someone in the face with their famous glass, ash trays.

You'll get a rush like you've never experienced and hopefully don't get stabbed along the way, as you really get high on a traditional pub brawl like in the good old days.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 21:13:02 »
Zeal is planning a coordinated release along with Half Life 3.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 22:09:55 »
You guys are ducks.  Zeal will deliver.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 22:35:26 »
You guys are ducks.  Zeal will deliver.
Never any doubt! Just picking on the impatient types.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rjradical

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 23:36:58 »
Ordered 110 Purple 67g and 90 purple 65g.
Any advice on a 108 keyboard PCB?

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 01:29:46 »
I am IN! Can't wait to try these things.

Nice work Zeal!

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #481 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 05:50:59 »

Gon's or Winkeyless would be the best available without a GB.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:37:55 »

+1
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #483 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:38:47 »

+1
Gon's will take ages though
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:11:27 »

+1

Apparently he is struggling with orders that include assembling, but for stock parts the delivery times are within weeks. To be fair, I'd say the quality of the PCBs is great.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:36:12 »

+1

Apparently he is struggling with orders that include assembling, but for stock parts the delivery times are within weeks. To be fair, I'd say the quality of the PCBs is great.

I ordered pretty much all the parts for a nerd60 in july and had them within a month
just assemble it yourself! It's a ton of fun and really not that hard

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:57:42 »

+1

I ordered pretty much all the parts for a nerd60 in july and had them within a month

I am glad I did the assembly myself; even, I dissipated the myth of SMD soldering.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:58:19 »

+1

I am glad I did the assembly myself; even, I dissipated the myth of SMD soldering.
How hard is it? I'm scared
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:06:54 »

+1

It is just a matter of patience; with the proper soldering iron with a flat thin tip and liquid flux - the type that comes in a pen - is doable. Try it with an old scrap circuit board, before to move to your expensive new PCB. I also used very thin soldering filler lead, but I learned that this is not a requisite, but helps.

Check this out, it was my main source of information.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:09:58 by ideus »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:19:38 »

+1

I never soldered before in my life and managed to solder the smd parts no problem
GON has the option to have a presoldered pcb in which all the soldering for diodes and  resistors (for side and in switch lighting) are already done and doesn't cost that much more - this is what I did as he has them sitting around ready to ship

The part that will take the longest is getting the housing made but last time I spoke to him it could be done in <3 weeks

Offline rjradical

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:29:44 »
Thank you for the info on the GON and Winkeyless.

As far as soldering goes the best bet for solder iron is either a Weller WES51 or Hakko FX888D (digital will allow for better control of temp.). Unless you have access to an older Weller unit. They are of better quality and are work horses.

As stated, practice with an old board or buy a practice bread-board. SMD (Surface Mount Device) soldering is not really hard but takes patience and a small flat tip is best.

Keep the tip of the iron tinned (solder) while soldering and when you finish soldering put a glob of solder on the tip. It helps to keep the tip from oxidizing.

MX/Gateron switches, diodes and any other component with leads can be soldered with a pointed tip iron.

Note: Purchase Hakko solder tips from reputable source and not ebay. They are more than likely knock offs.

Offline ika

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:28:28 »
IMO, SMD soldering is actually easier than through-hole if you have good solder, liquid flux, some tweezers, and a steady hand (Helping Hands don't hurt either). It's cleaner, uses less solder, and takes less time, which means less heat applied to your board and parts. YOu don't even need that nice of an iron - I've been using a handheld Hakko Dash for years and I've had no issues.

Also FWIW, I made an order of six PCBs from winkeyless and a buttload of parts on the 18th, including one with soldered controller/RGB/resistors/diodes, and I received the entire package on the 25th. I was floored at how fast I got everything.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:44:07 »
Also FWIW, I made an order of six PCBs from winkeyless and a buttload of parts on the 18th, including one with soldered controller/RGB/resistors/diodes, and I received the entire package on the 25th. I was floored at how fast I got everything.

Do you know how long the housings take from them? Wanted to get a b.mini for my gf

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:40:58 »

Thank you for the info on the GON and Winkeyless.

As far as soldering goes the best bet for solder iron is either a Weller WES51 or Hakko FX888D (digital will allow for better control of temp.). Unless you have access to an older Weller unit. They are of better quality and are work horses.

As stated, practice with an old board or buy a practice bread-board. SMD (Surface Mount Device) soldering is not really hard but takes patience and a small flat tip is best.

Keep the tip of the iron tinned (solder) while soldering and when you finish soldering put a glob of solder on the tip. It helps to keep the tip from oxidizing.

MX/Gateron switches, diodes and any other component with leads can be soldered with a pointed tip iron.

Note: Purchase Hakko solder tips from reputable source and not ebay. They are more than likely knock offs.

Weller WES50 here and I adore this thing. I've had it for close to 10 years now and it never lets me down. Tips are cheap and easy to find and its got plenty of power even for big jobs.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline ika

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:46:11 »
Do you know how long the housings take from them? Wanted to get a b.mini for my gf

My entire order included six PCBs (one fully soldered, the rest bare), three sets of housings, and on-board components for everything. Sent the order Sept 18 morning, shipped out Sept 24 morning from Korea, received Sept 25 afternoon in eastern US.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:51:25 »

My entire order included six PCBs (one fully soldered, the rest bare), three sets of housings, and on-board components for everything. Sent the order Sept 18 morning, shipped out Sept 24 morning from Korea, received Sept 25 afternoon in eastern US.

Damn that's impressive - they must have some pretty serious logistics

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #496 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:54:21 »
Waited until the last minute...but I could no longer resit :)

65g Tactile here we gooooo! These are my first purchase for my first 60%. Planning on building it myself -- I was looking at the Sprit PCB's, but may have to look into what Gon makes.

My poor wallet :(

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:06:58 »
Waited until the last minute...but I could no longer resit :)

65g Tactile here we gooooo! These are my first purchase for my first 60%. Planning on building it myself -- I was looking at the Sprit PCB's, but may have to look into what Gon makes.

My poor wallet :(

Gon's are gonna be a bit better, though certainly more expensive. If you're willing to shell out $110 for a PCB, the wireless Nerd60 is amazing.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 17:59:28 »
HL3 confirmed, winter 2015

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 18:12:42 »
Finally joined... in for 200 67g :)