Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 384474 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #1750 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 11:18:25 »
I tried to watch it again, from older eyes; I couldn't make it more than a couple episodes. I might give it a more earnest try; but there was a ton of whinging sooo..

I remember watching it for the first time over a decade ago, and couldn't stand Shinji. I still can't, but the rest of the show still is very good.

Perhaps at some point, every father is suppose to educate their male offspring on how to obtain females.

Yet, with the advent of Anim00 and Vidya,  it may be the case that several generations of fathers have themselves skipped such lessons..

So, segments of society end up with dees'kiz only specced wit Mad-dota-skillz (Shinji)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1751 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 13:50:44 »
I just want to celebrate that we are way into (what is hopefully the first season of) A Certain Scientific Accelerator.
It is a seque spin-off to the A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun series.

<removed>

This tune was apparently #1 on the charts in Japan for a while.
I didn't know anime music was this big...
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:47:11 by Findecanor »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1752 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 18:00:26 »
I just want to celebrate that we are mid-way into the first season of A Certain Scientific Accelerator.
It is a sequel to the A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun series.

This tune was apparently #1 on the charts in Japan for a while.
I didn't know anime music was this big...

it's not really a sequel more of a spin-off for people who like accelerator (me)

side note:

Babylonia!

too bad no Salter in this Singularity ;'(
I love Elzy

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1753 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 20:06:10 »
no wonder I was having trouble finding this thread, last post was in Oct :)

anyway, just watched One Punch S2 and boy what a let down after such a long hiatus. I was expecting the writers to be cooking up some phenomenal anime-trope breaking plot, but instead they took one of the few animes parodying animes and made it just like every other anime. What a ****ing let down, and how completely boring.

I guess I expected too much out of a series that hinged on the mc being a mcguffin, but they could have at least TRIED to make the 2nd season interesting or different than every other "superheroes live amongst us" anime out there. I don't even care about the conclusion of this ****ty hero killer plot.

One Punch, you're just another basic ***** now :(

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #1754 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 14:16:23 »
I felt the same way about Mob Psycho 100. :(

I really wanted to love it's second season, but even though it was unique, I just didn't get into it like the first.

I really liked how both were as you were saying, poking at the genres in very effective ways, but they've seem to have settled.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1755 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 19:52:44 »
I felt the same way about Mob Psycho 100. :(

I really wanted to love it's second season, but even though it was unique, I just didn't get into it like the first.

I really liked how both were as you were saying, poking at the genres in very effective ways, but they've seem to have settled.

Didn't really like mob 100 all that much, even S1,  but then it just got kinda lame in S2

But overall, the problem is that it's probably meant for younger people, and Tp4 is just old.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #1756 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 20:10:13 »
Didn't really like mob 100 all that much, even S1,  but then it just got kinda lame in S2

But overall, the problem is that it's probably meant for younger people, and Tp4 is just old.

I think me and you share that problem. :(

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1757 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 15:44:02 »
Evangelion Bluray looks really gud'

Original series made using Optical, so there's alot of Film Grain. Does wonders for gradients and soft details.

Very Grain, Much Analog

234971-0
234973-1
234975-2
234977-3
234979-4
234981-5
234983-6
234985-7
234987-8
234989-9

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1758 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 15:02:25 »
Vinland Saga was amazing

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1760 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 16:34:16 »
Am I the only one who thinks Evangelion is super boring, and all the characters are really dislikeable and annoying? Really some of the most annoying characters ever.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1761 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 17:22:21 »
Am I the only one who thinks Evangelion is super boring, and all the characters are really dislikeable and annoying? Really some of the most annoying characters ever.

Overall, mechas are not as tied to the story as other anime genres.

Mecha fans only need enough plot to Tie all the mecha tech and upgrade paths together.

None of the other stuff really matters as long as the Mechas look Kewl..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1762 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 12:48:48 »
Vinland Saga was amazing

1- 10,   10 being OutlawStar.

Oof, You're trying to make me rewatch stuff. I'll say... It has Berserk vibes for me personally, in that, I like Berzerk for similar reasons as this show. Dark Ages, Vikings..Great story. It's quite gory. I'm surprised it was on amazon prime as well.

So hm. Berserk, without demons? The action that it has is good, but it's not -hyper-stylized or the main draw of the anime; but more represented as if these characters were larger than life and someone was telling a story about the characters.. "And then! He picked up a stick as big as a tree! And hurled it at his enemies!". Exaggerated, but based in reality I would describe it.

Even if you didn't like it; it would be interesting to hear a perspective counter to everyone else's so far.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1763 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 19:44:22 »
what's the goriest anime you've ever seen? just buckets of guts and viscera.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #1764 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 09:28:19 »
what's the goriest anime you've ever seen? just buckets of guts and viscera.

RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne was pretty gory,in addition to a pretty f'ed up story.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1765 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 15:40:36 »
Off the top of my head, nothing really jumps out with guts and viscera like that. I know I've watched some gratuitous stuff, I just have bad memory. Cartoon guts and gore, is still gore but there is that barrier there.

This clip from Blood C is pretty brutal.

Shock horror wise, the most uncomfortable movie I've watched is most likely "A Serbian Film"; However I don't remember if it's truly that gory, but just extremely uncomfortable to watch. If you haven't seen the film, I would absolutely not watch it.

I only mentioned the gore about Vinland, as a friend of mine who I recommended it to is not a fan of gore at all, so I had to preface his watch with that warning.

Dang, checking out some of these top goriest anime lists, I actually haven't seen quite a few of them and now I have a new quest. This video has some nutty ones too:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1766 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 09:32:16 »
Finally finished the Otaku recommended watch order for Evangelion,   1-20, 21'-24' Director's cut, 25'-26' (End of Evangelion)

Younger Tp4 didn't understand the anime at all.

Older Tp4 has more life-xp to project in terms of interpretations.  But overall, it's not very clear if the author (Yoshiyuki Sadamoto) really had a profound sub-plot. If he did, it was not cohesively formed, a few scattered ideas based on the dangers of the nuclear triad as perceived in the early era. Of course Today, we know that the triad is not philosophical, it is merely a skyscraper built without toilets. <hahahahahah>

Looking at the -discussions- by the work's fan,  Tp4 isn't high/mighty,  but these fans are almost certainly only superficially intelligent and short on books..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1767 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:00:20 »
Zomg, Batman Beyond came out on the Bluray.

It looks so gud.  Apparently only 41 of 52 episodes had undamaged film for rescanning, the other 11 damaged episodes were upscaled from Digibeta.

Nonetheless, Glad all of season 1 is intact. There's some light degrain-algorithm used, but it's light, not destructively imposed.

Screenshots below are 4K uprezed, Zoom in to chk out dat grain detail.

236313-0
236315-1
236317-2
236319-3
236321-4
236323-5
236325-6
236327-7
236329-8
236331-9
236333-10
236335-11
236337-12
236339-13

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1768 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 08:27:49 »
LOLOL..

Ya'll see, Danberu Nan-Kiro Moteru? ,  it's an ecchi anime about working out. 

Hilarious.   Bad diet information, but the workout info is spot on.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1769 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 13:21:42 »
Watched "Made in Abyss", enjoyed the world they built. Interested in more, S2 has been announced.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1770 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 13:45:07 »
Watched "Made in Abyss", enjoyed the world they built. Interested in more, S2 has been announced.

Couldn't get into this at all. tried numerous times, everyone's like second coming of jesus. But Tp4'be'ligh,   Tssgg.. so when's overlord s4 coming out.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1771 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:39:06 »

Couldn't get into this at all. tried numerous times, everyone's like second coming of jesus. But Tp4'be'ligh,   Tssgg.. so when's overlord s4 coming out.

What didn't you like about it? I found the kid aspect a bit uninteresting; but I guess it added to shock value during its moments as well as naivete.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1772 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 13:05:20 »
What didn't you like about it? I found the kid aspect a bit uninteresting; but I guess it added to shock value during its moments as well as naivete.

Pacing.  it gets to a point as an anime fan that we've seen all the tropes, and when they do reveals at a novice-watcher's pace, it's a major drag, regardless of how well it's done.

Vs something Crass and vapid like OVerlord,  at the very least, overlord delivers FAST, you know it's going to happen, but it takes less than an episode to get there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1773 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:47:31 »
The new Konosuba Crimson movie,  Most hilarious anime movie I've seen in a while.

The 2 season Konosuba is a self-parody of the fantasy game world genre.  The movie follows season 2.

Decent mindless watch before the coronavirus killz us all.

Not as gud' as Overlord, but it's a close third after the first Swordartonline

238490-0

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #1774 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 15:24:06 »

Pacing.  it gets to a point as an anime fan that we've seen all the tropes, and when they do reveals at a novice-watcher's pace, it's a major drag, regardless of how well it's done.

Vs something Crass and vapid like OVerlord,  at the very least, overlord delivers FAST, you know it's going to happen, but it takes less than an episode to get there.

I can see that; still need to set aside time to watch Overlord. Tower of God just came out; I like the animation style; the manga was entertaining, and I'm just hoping they don't pull a OPM in s2.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1776 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:29:57 »
this season sucks ass but kakushigoto is great
I love Elzy

Offline divito

« Reply #1778 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:07:45 »
Pic shows what I enjoyed enough to own/keep, but doesn't even remotely cover all of what I've seen or liked. My NAS has been at its limit for awhile, and regular shows and movies have taken the storage precedent over anime, so I'm out of the loop on anything semi-current and have had to triage a fair amount of series and movies.

I'm hoping to upgrade to larger storage in the near future and would appreciate any recommendations along the lines of what I have pictured here.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline garry75

« Reply #1779 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 09:26:58 »
Tokyo Ghoul is a good entertainer and a must watch. Season 1 is interesting and promising, especially episode 1 which gets you hooked on to the show; season 2 however goes off track and the viewer ends up clueless. One can only hope that season 3 is satisfying.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1780 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 18:05:43 »
Anyone watch No Guns Life? The concept and themes appeal to me, but I hate investing time in anime 'cause it so often disappoints.
Can anyone recommend this one?

Offline vincenttngo1

« Reply #1781 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 19:10:42 »
Seen: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Hyoizaburooo/anime/watched (Have been keeping track since 2008)

Have been super on and off throughout the years but since quarantine happened I have been watching like I was in high school again...

Just finished that I really enjoyed:
Fire Force
Trinity Seven
Kaguya Sama: Love is War?

Currently Watching:
Ahiru no Sora
Science Fell in Love so I tried to Prove it

If anyone wants recommendations hit me up :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1782 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 18:35:00 »
Finally got through Mary and the Witch's Flower.  AKA Weeb-Potter. Attempted to finish many times, but never managed till now.

Animation is great.  HDR version makes really good use of Highlights, The excessively bright blue is really magical.

The story is a bit kiddy, but well that's all anime..   wish it had a bit more twist, but perhaps that wasn't the point.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1783 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 10:21:15 »
Just started Yaiba.. eh... the art is nice, minimal banding, they've used soft blacks and added alot of dithering noise to smooth the light casts.

But the Story (so far anyway),,  it's just Okish ,  not mindblowing like the reviews. Is it gonna be mind blowing in a few more episodes ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1784 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 16:22:38 »
Delivery cat is pretty cool.

buhh erry thing else..

256598-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1785 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:47:05 »
honestly, Yaiba's just bland..  It's not nearly as awesome as Naruto 1-70 is.  Might as well watch naruto.

I can't believe this many people recommended it.

Just don' watch it,  Rewatch Naruto 1-70 instead

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1786 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:37:26 »
Did they model this anime Gangster after TerryCrews , hahahahaha

256750-0

In NE case,  -The Great Pretender- is pretty lit,  for years they said Jpan couldn't make something as gud' as Breaking Bad,  well,  here is their take. 

Pretty solid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1787 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 23:19:33 »
Woah if you guys like Megalo Box,    Check out Levius,  available in HDR,  CGI netflix anime,

Diffused white ~200nits I think, it's an extremely bright HDR grade.

256759-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1788 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 01:55:16 »
Did they stop making mecha ? where are they ?

Offline nopunchespulled

« Reply #1789 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 21:27:55 »
watched silver spoon and your lie in april and really like them.  trying to watch march comes in like a lion.  finding I really like slice of life anime

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1790 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:55:18 »
Chk out Appare Ranman.

It's Steamboy + Redline + Dr.Stone  All in 1 anime.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1791 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 00:17:22 »
Chk out Appare Ranman.

It's Steamboy + Redline + Dr.Stone  All in 1 anime.

Redline is one of the sickest movies, the animation and music are so good

Offline olvias

« Reply #1792 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 08:12:32 »
I watched "A Place Further Than the Universe" and "Yuru Camp" and also just finished "out Love has Always Been 10cm Apart" last night. All three were and are fantastic.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1793 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 08:21:01 »
Redline was one I was very happy to add to my bluray collection. I can watch it as much as I love watching Desert Punk and Hellsing.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1794 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 10:25:42 »
Redline was one I was very happy to add to my bluray collection. I can watch it as much as I love watching Desert Punk and Hellsing.

OUTLAW Star > Cowboybebop.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #1795 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 14:04:11 »
Rewatched Shingeki No Kyojin and the new episodes of the final season. Forgot how great seasons 1-3 were, great show I really enjoyed it - This is the first anime I've rewatched!

Jujutsu Kaisen is a new one (about 12-13 episodes out atm), also great. Fun, fast paced.

I recently watched a few things like Neon Genesis, Koe no Katachi, Mononoke Hime, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, Violet Evergarden, and Vinland Saga.

Neon Genesis was great, I was pretty confused about some stuff - had to go back and rewatch certain episodes. The movie definitely cleared up a lot of things. I can see why people claim its overrated, and I can also see why people claim its a masterpiece.

Koe no Katachi was a lovely film, so was Mononoke Hime and Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. My first experiences with Ghibli films, love the way they tell a story and animation is always eyecatching.

Violet Evergarden was interesting albeit slow. I still enjoyed it, not something I would rant and rave about however.

Vinland Saga was awesome, always loved Viking shows/Norse mythology (I guess you can tell by my forum name lol). Was very refreshing to see an anime hitting this theme up! Definitely an anime I would recommend even to someone who doesn't watch anime.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2021, 17:07:35 by yqqdrasil »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1796 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 08:09:15 »

OUTLAW Star > Cowboybebop.

Trigun > OutLaw Star
I put Bebop in it's own category - more a fan of the artist creator than the storyline.  Also a fan of Samurai Champloo and the Brazillian series (can't remember it's name at the moment).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1797 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 09:04:42 »
OUTLAW Star > Cowboybebop.[/size][/color]
Trigun > OutLaw Star
I put Bebop in it's own category - more a fan of the artist creator than the storyline.  Also a fan of Samurai Champloo and the Brazillian series (can't remember it's name at the moment).

Trigun is a very different genre vs OStar and Cbop.   Is it a better anime, mmmmmmm.... I honestly don't remember,  will check

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1798 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 09:22:07 »
Still technically a "Space Western"  in a sense.  But I have fond memories of it and for them to come back w/ a movie to close it out was great.  There are alot of series that I wish they would have at least made a finisher for ie: HSotD (loved the first season only to be disappointed a second wouldn't be coming).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1799 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 13:08:30 »
Ugh... Dr.Stone Season 2 isn't nearly as fresh.  Too much pointless character fumbling ,  not enough about gadgets.