Author Topic: Use Opera? Got an M? No mouse Speed Dial  (Read 1952 times)

Offline roaduck

Use Opera? Got an M? No mouse Speed Dial
« on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 08:19:17 »

Now this is what I call a useless keyboard hack.

You probably already know this hack but I just discovered it by chance.

In Opera you have a Speed Dial option for your nine favourite websites if it's activated and you've assigned a website to each of the nine spots.

These speed dial shortcuts are arranged thus :

1 2 3 - L to R - Top Row
4 5 6 - L to R - Middle Row
7 8 9 - L to R - Bottom Row

Say for example I had http://geekhack.org/ at preset 5 and wanted instant access to it without using the mouse or other pointing device all I'd have to do is press left Ctrl and 5 (on top row) simultaneously or alternatively you can use Ctrl and 1 to 9 on the keypad with the number lock on.

So, if you can superimpose your favourite websites in your memory in the pattern of a telephone keypad you have instant no mouse shortcuts in Speed Dial.

Ah just realised that Opera has keyboard shortcuts - duh
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2009, 08:29:44 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline d2v

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 09:04:08 »
My favourite opera feature -  Entering /. in the address bar takes you straight to slashdot.org
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline roaduck

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 09:27:02 »
Quote from: d2v;122542
My favourite opera feature -  Entering /. in the address bar takes you straight to slashdot.org

You learn something new every day d2v - I've only been using Opera about six months and I've not read the instruction manual yet!

Apparently you can control the whole browser with just a keyboard or use voice control and mouse gestures - I didn't know that it was that sophisticated.I always knew about IE kb shortcuts but not on other browsers!

I've got this little proggy somewhere that can control my whole computer by bluetooth remote control from my mobile phone;turn it on or off, use media player classic, access my JBOD video and music files - I've just to suss it out.It's an amazing java application for use with a 100 metre bluetooth dongle.

Offline d2v

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 09:40:27 »
Amen.. I agree, everyday we learn something new. IMHO Opera is the holy grail of browsers. Now only if their installer would allow installing without admin privileges on windows...
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 10:08:52 »
the right-click scroll list of tabs is nice :)

Offline roaduck

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 12:10:37 »
Does anyone know to cut and paste hyperlinked urls and images with Opera something like a .rtf editor please?

Offline Xuan

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 14:55:13 »
Tips I use:
Ctrl-F12 -> Advanced -> Shortcuts -> Enable single-key shortcuts
1 and 2 switch tab
Shift+Arrows navigate through links
Alt+Left/Right
, or . or / incremental search

more: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/nomouse/

Plus mouse gestures: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/gestures/

Offline Mr.6502

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 18:49:32 »
Quote from: roaduck;122574
Does anyone know to cut and paste hyperlinked urls and images with Opera something like a .rtf editor please?

I do not believe there is a way in Opera to do this.

I made a quick and dirty UserJS that I use for copying off websites in Opera with the HTML formatting if you want it.  It pastes into programs as text, not HTML though.  Its only handy if you are using a plaintext editor, not if you are trying to paste the content as formatted HTML into something like Word.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf