Author Topic: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard  (Read 188443 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 15:33:36 »
Silver/rose gold, of course!

I was never classy like you, Photo.  Think I'm on a black on black on black kick this time around.  :p  Curious to see black case with black pvd.  Stealthy and sleek? :thinking:

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 00:48:34 »
We are working on getting the other offered colours made. Once completed, we'll take new pictures. Pwner is also working on more renders as well.
which colors are you referring to?

Offline ian13

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 07:21:06 »
I really wanted to see silver on black pvd or silver on rose gold pvd or black on rose gold pvd prototypes. Also, from the renders, black seems to be like a very dark gray? Is it going to that way or will it be black as in real black?

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:04:26 »

I was never classy like you, Photo.  Think I'm on a black on black on black kick this time around.    Curious to see black case with black pvd.  Stealthy and sleek? :thinking:
I went with the same combo. Black on black on black. Gonna throw gmk terminal on there and call it a day :)

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:08:47 »
I really wanted to see silver on black pvd or silver on rose gold pvd or black on rose gold pvd prototypes. Also, from the renders, black seems to be like a very dark gray? Is it going to that way or will it be black as in real black?

We are waiting on new samples of all available color options!  Machining is done, waiting on the PVD finish.

I was never classy like you, Photo.  Think I'm on a black on black on black kick this time around.    Curious to see black case with black pvd.  Stealthy and sleek? :thinking:
I went with the same combo. Black on black on black. Gonna throw gmk terminal on there and call it a day :)

Black on black is the move.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:11:52 by Pwner »
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:10:36 »
Black on black on black here as well, but I shall not reveal the set for it jus yet

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:24:44 »
Black on black on black here as well, but I shall not reveal the set for it jus yet
Taking a guess and thinking GMK Taro.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 08:16:56 »
Hoping to see a purple rose gold (or silver) Laser combo

Offline menuhin

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:23:54 »
How durable is PVD coating / finish?

Or what is it actually?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 01:49:21 »

Or what is it actually?

Like any polished surface, I wouldn't recommend "buffing" it with any regular rag. Try to use clean microfiber cloths to avoid micro scratches.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline menuhin

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 04:51:01 »

Or what is it actually?

Like any polished surface, I wouldn't recommend "buffing" it with any regular rag. Try to use clean microfiber cloths to avoid micro scratches.

When I read into it, there are many kinds of PVD coating, and some are "virtually not possible to scratch it"
https://www.chronext.com/journal/mechanics/a-timely-question-%E2%80%93-the-difference-between-a-pvd-dlc-coating

What kind of PVD is that? Is that DLC?
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 04:56:50 »

Or what is it actually?

When I read into it, there are many kinds of PVD coating, and some are "virtually not possible to scratch it"
https://www.chronext.com/journal/mechanics/a-timely-question-%E2%80%93-the-difference-between-a-pvd-dlc-coating

What kind of PVD is that? Is that DLC?

Yeah, that's dlc.  I'm not even sure if that's feasible in an application like this, let alone imagining what the cost would be.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:25:00 »
DLC=/=PVD. It would be much, much, much more expensive to offer DLC.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 09:57:44 »
Hoping for a couple of pictures of the silver case before the GB closes. I see the one in the initial OP but i cant tell if the silver is polished or brushed.

Offline dwmsuh

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 10:30:49 »
We are working on getting the other offered colours made. Once completed, we'll take new pictures. Pwner is also working on more renders as well.

Hi! Are there any updates on additional renders? Thank you!

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 13:49:26 »
Hoping for a couple of pictures of the silver case before the GB closes. I see the one in the initial OP but i cant tell if the silver is polished or brushed.
The silver case? Or the silver plate/weight? The case is anodized. The plate weight is PVD so it should be polished.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 13:57:35 »
Anybody have more pics of the purple (Zephyr maybe?)?  Anthony has me nervous about my choice now. I’m good with dark purple, but from his video and his thoughts, it sounds/looks like purple is pretty much blue.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:24:15 »
Anybody have more pics of the purple (Zephyr maybe?)?  Anthony has me nervous about my choice now. I’m good with dark purple, but from his video and his thoughts, it sounds/looks like purple is pretty much blue.

My purple zephyr is very blue. It has a tinge of purple in it but is very blue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:45:59 by ptiede »

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:37:29 »

My purple zephyr, is very blue. It has a tinge of purple in it but is very blue.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:40:41 »
Zeal, Any chance we'll see another sale at the $420 mark before the GB ends? I'm really bummed I missed the GB at that price, and will purchase immediately if I see it back down to there.

Offline bball2

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 16:46:51 »

That zephyr purple / blue is sexy af though, would have no complaints if that’s what it looks like!

Offline ptiede

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 16:48:41 »

That zephyr purple / blue is sexy af though, would have no complaints if that’s what it looks like!
Oh I totally agree. I absolutely love the color. The thing is gorgeous. Didn't mean to sound negative

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 16:53:10 »
Zeal, Any chance we'll see another sale at the $420 mark before the GB ends? I'm really bummed I missed the GB at that price, and will purchase immediately if I see it back down to there.

I am not zeal so take this with a grain of salt. The early bird price wouldn't make since to repeat it. I mean honestly it wouldn't make since to offer any discounts at this point. He did offer a discount he be screwing everyone that bought in at the higher price. That means going back and refunding those people. The board is something you really like then the 40-60 dollar difference shouldn't stop ya. That is to big a barrier for you to surmount then the board's not for you.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 17:30:41 »

I am not zeal so take this with a grain of salt. The early bird price wouldn't make since to repeat it. I mean honestly it wouldn't make since to offer any discounts at this point. He did offer a discount he be screwing everyone that bought in at the higher price. That means going back and refunding those people. The board is something you really like then the 40-60 dollar difference shouldn't stop ya. That is to big a barrier for you to surmount then the board's not for you.

Pretty much this, would be unfair to the people that did jump in early.

I had a short chat with zeal during the stream and I believe these issues are being sorted out.  I will let Zeal comment further.

I did do new renders but was not happy with them and to avoid any further color discrepancy we'll wait for the new samples which should be ready any time now.

The pvd will be polished.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 18:10:57 »

Pretty much this, would be unfair to the people that did jump in early.

I had a short chat with zeal during the stream and I believe these issues are being sorted out.  I will let Zeal comment further.

I did do new renders but was not happy with them and to avoid any further color discrepancy we'll wait for the new samples which should be ready any time now.

The pvd will be polished.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds encouraging. I’m not against blue, but I paid for and want eggplant purple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 16:00:09 »
This was mentioned by riotonthebay on his No.1 60/65 thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98780.msg2703523#msg2703523

Surprised the Zeal PCB mounting legs are loose, v1 were insanely tight in Cherry-spec PCBs. I heard Zeal tried to fix that for v2, maybe they over-compensated?

Ideally they're not loose in the PCB at all, so alignment with a partial/plateless build shouldn't be that problematic.

I don't believe Zeal over-compensated here — I don't want any misinformation to be spread. Wilba, who designed this PCB, designs PCBs for Zeal as well, and has in the past used a very slightly larger than Cherry-spec switch mounting holes in order to accommodate non-Cherry switches with legs that were slightly oversized. In my builds, it wasn't problematic (I've built two half-plate PCBs out at this point), but future PCBs will be made with standard Cherry-spec mounting holes.

Maybe zeal or pwner can confirm on the pcb situation if he has the proto case + pcb with the v2s on hand to test out. I may be being overly cautious but loose v2 with half plate Xeno might make keycap alignment troublesome. Thank you!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 18:13:03 »
Some of my PCBs in the past have used 1.8mm to accommodate slightly larger than spec PCB mount pins - if you've ever tried putting Gaterons or V1 Zealios into a PCB with 1.7mm holes, you'll know what I'm talking about. I know you probably think that was making Zeal60 preferentially catering to Zealios and you're right. Since Gateron was the biggest offender, and now they have fixed the bottom housings, I've reverted back to 1.7mm for Zeal60 rev 4 and future PCBs like WT75-A for Xeno 75.

Offline ian13

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 20:35:23 »
Waiting for images of the proto in different colors.

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 23:55:28 »
Some of my PCBs in the past have used 1.8mm to accommodate slightly larger than spec PCB mount pins - if you've ever tried putting Gaterons or V1 Zealios into a PCB with 1.7mm holes, you'll know what I'm talking about. I know you probably think that was making Zeal60 preferentially catering to Zealios and you're right. Since Gateron was the biggest offender, and now they have fixed the bottom housings, I've reverted back to 1.7mm for Zeal60 rev 4 and future PCBs like WT75-A for Xeno 75.

Great to hear, thanks for the info Wilba!

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 03:24:36 »
Waiting for images of the proto in different colors.

Same here.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 05:16:51 »

Thanks for the clarification Wilba!

Offline krey

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 02:14:54 »
already tempted to pull the trigger.

will wait for more renders!
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline MTXjunkie

[GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 22:30:53 »
Any update on the shade of the purple?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 17:21:57 »

Will be getting samples in before CNY happens. So in a week or so.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 17:23:03 »

Will be getting samples in before CNY happens. So in a week or so.

Sounds good.

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:04:54 »
Still contemplating this: undecided on whether to go for half-plate vs full-plate. Thinking of going w/ purple, but wish there were a few more color options. Is there any intended plan to do a round 2?

Offline rymnd6c28

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 05:54:45 »
a long shot but, can I just buy the pcb? you know, just add the pcb add-on to the cart and check out.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:21:51 »
a long shot but, can I just buy the pcb? you know, just add the pcb add-on to the cart and check out.

Technically sure you could if you're planning on designing your own case.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:26:47 »
having received my zephyr a few weeks back, can we expect the same quality in terms of anodization and polish with the xeno?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:32:31 »
Yes, it will be run through the same manu.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:27:18 »
Yes, it will be run through the same manu.

really happy to hear that. thanks!

Offline dwmsuh

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 12:28:20 »
Have to voice out my long hidden question / wish:

Does the current PCB design (which already looks great) support any type of hot sockets for make it hot swappable?

I haven't invested in one of those multi-hundred dollar desoldering setup and every time I desolder something I burned, tore, and damaged the pad and the circuit.

Zeal or Pwner, have you guys had a chance to see if the hot swap sockets or Holyoke’s fit with the keeb?
I have led/switch holtites and mill max sockets on the way from another user that I will be using to test that.  :thumb:

Any chance you guys have had a chance to see if the Holtites or hot swap sockets work with this?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2019, 12:37:20 by dwmsuh »

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 12:41:04 »
Also debating the full vs half plate here - I understand the extra flex / softer bottom out with half plate, but what about sound?Wish I could just afford one of each plate and 2x pcb, but probably out of my spend range.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 12:48:20 »
no RGB LED support like Xeno?

Offline swangful

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 00:01:11 »
Excited to see this sample. Hopefully some RGB PCB action too like the zeal60/zephyr.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 00:06:58 »

Excited to see this sample. Hopefully some RGB PCB action too like the zeal60/zephyr.

No.

Offline swangful

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 00:38:45 »

No.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 05:10:19 »

No.

Wilba is here..!
Hope it is Mill Max compatible and with some nice features at those 3-points LED indicators.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:24:16 »
Still on the fence, any news on the new prototypes? Dying to see the other colors.

Offline dwmsuh

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:47:46 »
Still on the fence, any news on the new prototypes? Dying to see the other colors.

Agree, I’ve been checking back here every day to see if there have been updates xD