Author Topic: What is your keyboard's car equivalent?  (Read 7135 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
What is your keyboard's car equivalent?
« on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:11:15 »
Inspired by a manofinterests post over on keebtalk.

If the KBD67 is the Miata/MX-5 of keyboards, and the Model M is the Cadillac, what are other keyboards?

Offline Maledicted

Re: What is your keyboard's car equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:41:14 »
I may actually start by disputing the Model M being a good analogue for a Cadillac. Cadillac, to me, means luxury and refinement. You would think that would go to something more like an SKCM blue alps boards of some sort. I don't particularly like the tactile event of membrane buckling spring myself, so I would put it closer to a Jeep Wrangler. They look like they're lots of fun to drive, if even just for the way they look and sound, they're rugged (with some rough edges). They're quirky, interesting, abundant, and desirable, in spite of their flaws.

I'm using a Matias Mini Tactile Pro at the moment, so what could that be? It is small, sleek, and noisy, yet utilitarian/practical. It is making me think of my Chevy Sonic sedan, as unexciting/unappealing as that is. It gets great gas mileage, it has a good balance between cost, size, build quality (in terms of materials), passenger capacity, storage space, and yet even with an unimpressive 4 cylinder engine has a throaty/rumbly American sound to its engine when accelerating. It is relatively fun to drive, although that is somewhat handicapped by modern cheapening/"innovation", with an electronic clutch, power steering, gas pedal, etc ... like Matias switches eventual adaptation from the mighty Alps. Seeing as the overall reliability, being a GM vehicle, is basically a mystery box, I imagine that fits pretty well with Matias' current reputation as well (I'll see for myself in time).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:43:48 »
I'm thinking that my 122-key Model F terminal is a Cord Westchester.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:54:14 »

Cords are freaking cool. What makes an F122 like a Westchester? Walk us through it.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:11:57 »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:18:43 »
Show Image

Nice, lol. What board though?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 16:44:15 »

Ha! Brutal. I was thinking the F 122 was more like an old ford f 350 (or some other workhorse). This thing is more like an IBM Selectric typewriter.

Offline funkmon

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 21:11:39 »
A old Hot Rod.
Modified to heck with almost nothing original remaining.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline atarione

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 00:33:00 »
Filco ... MT2

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2020, 00:35:39 by atarione »

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 03:04:59 »
I do not mean to be a jerk. I feel that my lovely one of a kind Korean custom MF108 V3 is a Bugatti lol. Topre is like an Armored car.

Offline perry4761

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 15:17:29 »
I currently have a Ducky One 2 mini, so I guess a Subaru BRZ would be an appropriate comparison? I'm hoping to make my HMKB80 worthy of being called a Brabus or Hennessey when it finally arrives, hopefully around September

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 15:19:19 »
244051-0244053-1

IBM Pingmaster (daily driver)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 14:53:11 »
I suppose mines is a budget option that ends up lasting you for years on the road such as a Toyota corrola

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 17:49:00 »
40% are like a Smart.
Super small, but very versatile (Brabus Smart i.e.)

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:25:16 »
Nothing wrong with Corolla. One heck of a car. Probably car most likely routinely to go over 1 million miles without overhaul. I like how it has evolved too. It is just a high quality car. Sips gas. They would never make a hybrid because it already gets 40+mpg. It is not slow either. I mean it is not a Z06 but it is just fine. Anything compared to it is a compliment.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 23:05:38 »
A custom TKL w/ lubed pandas in a thick red metal case and purple GMK's?

hmm too big to be sporty, too heavy to be exotic, but not even 104 sized and customized a fair amount?

ehh likely some sort of muscle car I reckon, but deff not something you'd see normally. Something heavy and powerful and distinct with lots of torque.

I'd say my keyboard is a Plymouth Hemi Cuda, 'bout the shape of it too. Bonus that it actually happens to come in red and purple.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:12:59 »
A custom TKL w/ lubed pandas in a thick red metal case and purple GMK's?

hmm too big to be sporty, too heavy to be exotic, but not even 104 sized and customized a fair amount?

ehh likely some sort of muscle car I reckon, but deff not something you'd see normally. Something heavy and powerful and distinct with lots of torque.

I'd say my keyboard is a Plymouth Hemi Cuda, 'bout the shape of it too. Bonus that it actually happens to come in red and purple.

Nice. Well thought-out. Shouldn't a muscle car have some thunderously loud clicky switches though?  ;) I could see the exotics and tuners being more of a linear and tactile thing. No pointless bark, all bite.

Those old Cudas are some of my favorite cars of all time.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:24:01 »
Lamborghini Countach - lookalike body of plastic built over of a Volvo hatchback chassis.
244279-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:28:46 by Findecanor »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:27:08 »
Lamborghini Countach - lookalike body of plastic built over of a Volvo hatchback chassis.
What the heck keyboard are you using, because, wow.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Polymer

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:31:34 »
I may actually start by disputing the Model M being a good analogue for a Cadillac. Cadillac, to me, means luxury and refinement.
Have you ever driven an older Caddy?  Or a newer one for that matter.  And compared it to a comparably Japanese or German Luxury Car?  Cadillacs are pigs.  Big chunky hunks of metal.   A model M is a good example of that.  A big hunking chunk of metal.  The only difference is the Model M is actually reliable and made to last, I can't say the same for Cadillac. 

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:37:38 »
I may actually start by disputing the Model M being a good analogue for a Cadillac. Cadillac, to me, means luxury and refinement.
Have you ever driven an older Caddy?  Or a newer one for that matter.  And compared it to a comparably Japanese or German Luxury Car?  Cadillacs are pigs.  Big chunky hunks of metal.   A model M is a good example of that.  A big hunking chunk of metal.  The only difference is the Model M is actually reliable and made to last, I can't say the same for Cadillac.

Haha, can’t say I disagree. It’s more about the expression than the reality.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:35:53 »
What the heck keyboard are you using, because, wow.
The idea was to say that it is plastic, home-made and not that great...
I couldn't think of another model kit-type car. I had seen that one at a convention.

Offline jamster

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:52:05 »

The Cadillac analogies always sound weird to non-Americans. The brand perception outside the US tends to be big, gas guzzling cars with wallowing suspension and the handling of a bathtub. Yet the way it's used, you can tell it's it's supposed to be a complement.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 07:34:35 »

The Cadillac analogies always sound weird to non-Americans.

The Cadillac was the premiere US automobile after World War 2 when Detroit was the auto capital of the world. "Hot rods" in the 1950s had reached their pinnacle when they could boast of having a Cadillac engine crammed into a much-too-small chassis.

It remained that way through the 1960s, but then GM started siphoning the value out of the car at a rapid rate, keeping only its size to set it apart from its siblings like Buicks and Pontiacs.

Equating Cadillac with quality has been ridiculous since the 1980s.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 07:50:53 by fohat.digs »
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:52:43 »
How dare you. I cannot refute anything, but still.

-A Detroiter.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:42:54 »

The Cadillac analogies always sound weird to non-Americans.

The Cadillac was the premiere US automobile after World War 2 when Detroit was the auto capital of the world. "Hot rods" in the 1950s had reached their pinnacle when they could boast of having a Cadillac engine crammed into a much-too-small chassis.

It remained that way through the 1960s, but then GM started siphoning the value out of the car at a rapid rate, keeping only its size to set it apart from its siblings like Buicks and Pontiacs.

Equating Cadillac with quality has been ridiculous since the 1980s.

Yeap...They had some interesting advancements in the 1980s which made the cars feel advanced feature wise, but just terrible reliability. 

Boat/Bathtub/tank are all pretty descriptions as far as how they drive.  HUGE front end with so much power to the power steering you don't feel like you have any real control over the car.

You would have thought today's Caddy's would be an improvement...NOPE.  I do not know how that brand stays afloat other than older people who remember that these cars used to be good 50 years ago. 

Sorry..off topic....Big heavy bathtub like keyboard?  Sounds like Model M. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:59:34 »

Big heavy bathtub like keyboard?  Sounds like Model M. 

"Bathtub"? Hardly. Regardless of size and weight, IBM iron is crisp and tight.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 20:00:32 »

Compared to todays keyboard?  It's gigantic..big and heavy...chunky.  Crisp and tight?  In what way?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 20:13:46 »

Compared to todays keyboard?  It's gigantic..big and heavy...chunky.  Crisp and tight?  In what way?

I think there is some contention in this thread regarding a keyboard's ability and a keyboard's soul in relation to it's vehicular representation. I see two different camps setting up here.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 15:10:16 »

I think there is some contention in this thread regarding a keyboard's ability and a keyboard's soul in relation to it's vehicular representation. I see two different camps setting up here.

We're talking about comparing keyboards to cars here. If anything is subjective, it is this. I don't know that there are necessarily any camps, just people genuinely trying to figure out the best fit. That can be difficult, even if you consider a lot of distinct characteristics, and even then there are probably even more models of car than keyboard, so who's to say what's right even if it could all be 100% objective?

I don't think a little disagreement is a bad thing if it stays civil. I imagine that that's guaranteed since I can't imagine anybody has a particular emotional investment in whether or not their keyboard is most like a Koenigsegg or a Pinto.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 17:50:42 »
This iKBC MF 108 is a mom SUV. Sits high above the road, solidly built, high end but not at luxury prices. Very smooth ride and heavy AF.

244490-0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 19:04:57 »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 19:45:44 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:57:19 »
After more consideration, I suppose that my keyboard is rather similar to my car, a well-maintained, 12-year-old Honda Odyssey.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:30:17 »
But what keyboard are you guys comparing these cars to? Don’t just post pictures of cars.

Offline xIHA

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:16:13 »
It's even in the name
Ferarri 456gt
Jane v2 | OTD 456gt | LZ Physix | xIHEx (One off comission) | Duck kingsaver | G80-1838HPU

Offline jamster

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:51:30 »

Maybe I need to find some chrome keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:53:33 by jamster »

Offline squizzler

• My blog
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 14:49:51 »
I have an idea what my motoring equivalent of my Minidox would be. It is not really a vehicle as it is two separate halves: and is just big enough to accommodate both hands, feels like an extension of the body:

Might we assume a stenotype machine is the keyboard equivalent of a high powered sports motorcycle: in the right hands it would destroy any conventional keyboard, but not for everyone.
Running RSTHD on Minidox since 2019

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 17:53:13 »
Like me, seasoned (ie old), big, competent, reliable, and opinionated.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 17:55:30 by fohat.digs »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 21:21:48 »

Seeing that crazy old F122 never gets old. I bet it will still be working long after even that Honda is a steel cube rusting in a scrapyard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 07:35:06 »

Seeing that crazy old F122 never gets old.

I have really ruined/spoiled myself by using this for the last few years. It just seems so "right" that it makes regular keyboards, especially old IBM iron, seem "wrong" when the top case shell is installed.

The car analogy is really disingenuous: how many 1984 cars, used daily, are still going strong without requiring regular maintenance and repair?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:35:47 »

Seeing that crazy old F122 never gets old.

I have really ruined/spoiled myself by using this for the last few years. It just seems so "right" that it makes regular keyboards, especially old IBM iron, seem "wrong" when the top case shell is installed.

The car analogy is really disingenuous: how many 1984 cars, used daily, are still going strong without requiring regular maintenance and repair?

I don't see many cars that old at all anymore, even with regular maintenance and repair. The winter road salt eats the frames here.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:09:29 »

Seeing that crazy old F122 never gets old. I bet it will still be working long after even that Honda is a steel cube rusting in a scrapyard.

It's Willy Wonka's keyboard

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:52:35 »

That would not surprise me in the least.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:58:16 »

Actually, it came from the Tardis.

Offline HG

• Hudson K. Green
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 20:38:31 »
Inspired by a manofinterests post over on keebtalk.

If the KBD67 is the Miata/MX-5 of keyboards, and the Model M is the Cadillac, what are other keyboards?

To me, the Model M is not a Cadillac. There is nothing "luxurious" about a Model M in terms of looks (not saying it is ugly, but it is definitely not designed with the intention of looking good—It is designed to work). I would say that the Model M is an APC, and the Model F is a tank.
Lead developer for Nexthority.net

Genovation CP24
Cherry MX Black
View Photos
1991 IBM Model M
Buckling Spring
View Photos
1994 IBM Model M (NOS)
Buckling Spring
1997 IBM Model F XT
Buckling Spring
1997 IBM Model F AT
Buckling Spring

And a **** ton of other keyboards :)

Offline v6ak

• v6ak
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 01:09:09 »

Offline drfilco

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 21:31:19 »
Those ubiquitous Cherry point-of-sale keyboards behind the counters at Autozone and everywhere else... those things are like the Sprinter van of keebs.

The GMMK reminds me of a 90's Accord because it's cheap, easy to mod, and not bad for a daily driver.

The Norbaforce might be a VW Phaeton, because while the quality is (ostensibly) through the roof, the un-initiated might not have a reason to give a second look, assuming a mild colorway.

Offline stoicbias

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 17:02:41 »