Author Topic: Portal Function + Esc 13 Key PBT Dye Sublimated key group buy (Discussion THREAD)  (Read 70868 times)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
Portal Function + Esc 13 Key PBT Dye Sublimated key group buy (Discussion THREAD)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 11:56:51 »
A lot of people like the idea of the Blue/Orange =].  You are welcome all!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Portal Function + Esc 13 Key PBT Dye Sublimated key group buy (Discussion THREAD)
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 11:58:21 »
I like the idea of the split man on the ends of the portal 2 logo as 2 caps which I suggest ~ and backspace. Making the vertical line slightly heavier weight shouldn't make it look bad. I also would not mind a blue and an orange portal key, in which case I suggest one of each for windows key replacements.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 14:55:53 »
Okay so to answer some questions. No you can't do more than one "legend" color on one key. For example you cannot do a black key with an orange portal and a blue portal on it. That's 3 different colors on one key, and doubleshots only use 2 colors.

I like the orange and blue portal idea, but here's how the costs work.

If we make a set of 13 keys with all different legends (icons), and all of them have the same colors, the only significant cost is the molds. The rest is cheap for them and us to produce because they don't have to bother with several different colors of plastic to make the set.

It may or may not cost that much more to make 2 additional keys with black and an orange portal on one and black and a blue portal on another, but we'd have to contact SP for that.

HOWEVER, the black and blue key has its own quantity discount and so does the black and orange key. ALL of the black and white keys in the proposed function set share the same quantity discount because they are the same color. Each separate color has its own quantity discount, follow? Since we are doing a set of 13, the quantity discount goes up really fast, (at a geometric rate of 13 per order lol.) Whereas the blue and orange protal keys would only go up one at a time, meaning people would either have to order multiples or we'd need over 50-100 orders to get the price to come down. Meaning the costs for the orange and blue portal keys just for a pair would probably cost about as much as the whole function set... and if a customer wants both it doesn't get him a discount. Basically I'm saying that would essentially double the cost for one person to get a complete set of all the keys proposed.

I believe they would also have separate quantity discounts for different size keys, at the moment I'm really only interested in doing ESC sized keys, which fit all of the function keys and the 9 keys over above the arrow keys.

I'm open to the idea, but I worry that if we offer those pair of keys it will cannibalize orders from the function set, as many people might not be interested in getting both. I also don't really want to offer it as a part of the Function set because for those that aren't really interested in having those two keys would be forced to pay twice as much for much less value.

Thoughts? I'm not in charge here, we'll order what everyone wants, but we have to be smart about it or we aren't going to get as many orders as we should.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 14:58:37 by Ragnorock »

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:00:39 »
I think Ragnorack raises the most important point of all: Cost. If we want to keep this as a sensible and open investment for everyone we should remain as a white and black set and MAYBE make the 13th key Orange or Blue for the Esc.

On another spectrum, keeping true to the designs that we are using, white and black is the way to go. I don't think the game featured blue and orange diagrams on the walls warning of death but rather white and black, on a white background, in a game that was primarily white.

Personally I would love to have orange and blue keys but at the end of the day I won't buy them because I would rather buy a new board than 13 keys that clash with every other color that will cost me $40.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:05:37 »
What about this... We do the Function + Esc set now and in all one color as previously discussed, and depending on how successful the group buy is, we could potentially revisit it later for a "Round 2" where we offer the same set again (since I believe/hope they keep their molds on hand and we wouldn't have the high setup cost the 2nd time around) and in addition we do modifier keys with various colors or something. We could try to accomplish everything in this one group buy, but as you probably know from the Group Buy Round 4, the more we add to it the more confusing and difficult it becomes for everyone.

Offline xmrxkrazy

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:31:10 »
Dang groupthink is so dangerous especially on this website. Someone suggests wanting them for F-key replacements, and now I want them.
+1-12

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:35:54 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;412915
What about this... We do the Function + Esc set now and in all one color as previously discussed, and depending on how successful the group buy is, we could potentially revisit it later for a "Round 2" where we offer the same set again (since I believe/hope they keep their molds on hand and we wouldn't have the high setup cost the 2nd time around) and in addition we do modifier keys with various colors or something. We could try to accomplish everything in this one group buy, but as you probably know from the Group Buy Round 4, the more we add to it the more confusing and difficult it becomes for everyone.

This. This right here. If we can avoid having to make a 50k word Wiki for this group buy we have succeeded in doing a clean job. Making it as cheap as possible while also covering the setup costs and giving everyone Clean, well done keys for their top row would be 100% ideal. Having each key be ~$1.50 makes it an even better experience for everyone.

Offline chenga91

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 19:38:53 »

I agree. I was just throwing out the idea of the orange/blue portals just to see how people would respond. Apologies for complicating things. Would be great if we had a round 2 them in it :)
Currently Using:
~Leopold Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown~
~Razer Deathadder Black Edition~
~Artisan Hien Soft, Medium Size~

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 19:43:09 »
So has anybody made the images for SP to look at/ has SP had a chance to give their opinions of if the design will work or not?

Offline tr4656

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 20:31:27 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;413065
So has anybody made the images for SP to look at/ has SP had a chance to give their opinions of if the design will work or not?

I don't think so.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 21:53:37 »
I think many people are willing to commit to just a orange/blue or orange/black + blue/black.  I am pretty sure a lot of people will commit since it was my idea. LOL jk I think you should try doing the F1-F12 separate from the ESC key.  Many might just be interested from 1 key.  I am in for an ESC key + F1-F12 though.

Quote from: Ragnorock;412903
Okay so to answer some questions. No you can't do more than one "legend" color on one key. For example you cannot do a black key with an orange portal and a blue portal on it. That's 3 different colors on one key, and doubleshots only use 2 colors.

I like the orange and blue portal idea, but here's how the costs work.

If we make a set of 13 keys with all different legends (icons), and all of them have the same colors, the only significant cost is the molds. The rest is cheap for them and us to produce because they don't have to bother with several different colors of plastic to make the set.

It may or may not cost that much more to make 2 additional keys with black and an orange portal on one and black and a blue portal on another, but we'd have to contact SP for that.

HOWEVER, the black and blue key has its own quantity discount and so does the black and orange key. ALL of the black and white keys in the proposed function set share the same quantity discount because they are the same color. Each separate color has its own quantity discount, follow? Since we are doing a set of 13, the quantity discount goes up really fast, (at a geometric rate of 13 per order lol.) Whereas the blue and orange protal keys would only go up one at a time, meaning people would either have to order multiples or we'd need over 50-100 orders to get the price to come down. Meaning the costs for the orange and blue portal keys just for a pair would probably cost about as much as the whole function set... and if a customer wants both it doesn't get him a discount. Basically I'm saying that would essentially double the cost for one person to get a complete set of all the keys proposed.

I believe they would also have separate quantity discounts for different size keys, at the moment I'm really only interested in doing ESC sized keys, which fit all of the function keys and the 9 keys over above the arrow keys.

I'm open to the idea, but I worry that if we offer those pair of keys it will cannibalize orders from the function set, as many people might not be interested in getting both. I also don't really want to offer it as a part of the Function set because for those that aren't really interested in having those two keys would be forced to pay twice as much for much less value.

Thoughts? I'm not in charge here, we'll order what everyone wants, but we have to be smart about it or we aren't going to get as many orders as we should.

Offline KoolAidMan

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 22:40:16 »

I agree, white on black and keep it simple. Good match too, keeping it monochromatic: http://store.valvesoftware.com/product.php?i=STP202

Offline chenga91

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 23:49:24 »
Most of the SVGs are already done since I found a site that and SVG done for most of them. Only problem is that the SVG is white on a transparent background rather than what SP wants (black on transparent). So I think with a bit of editing, they should be good to go. There are about 2 icons that need to be made, but since ichitz is pretty pro, I think it'll be aiight. We haven't run them by SP yet though. I think we'll do so when we've finished the other 2 icons.
Currently Using:

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 23:52:01 »
Keep me in the loop when you do get them set up; You can consider me willing to do what I can to get this rolling because I want at least one set for myself and a few for gifting.

Offline Stevieboy7

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 00:09:49 »
Id be in for a set including esc. key

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 00:18:32 »
Quote from: sherryton;413112
I think many people are willing to commit to just a orange/blue or orange/black + blue/black.  I am pretty sure a lot of people will commit since it was my idea. LOL jk I think you should try doing the F1-F12 separate from the ESC key.  Many might just be interested from 1 key.  I am in for an ESC key + F1-F12 though.

Considering that usually people spend about as much on one key in other threads (including shipping but still) as we're looking at for our entire set of 13 (before shipping), I don't think it really is worth it to offer any one key separate to encourage people to just buy the whole set.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 00:21:11 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;413166
Considering that usually people spend about as much on one key in other threads (including shipping but still) as we're looking at for our entire set of 13 (before shipping), I don't think it really is worth it to offer any one key separate to encourage people to just buy the whole set.

At the end of the day sets can be bought and then parted-out later but I personally find it odd that someone has a favorite key out of this set to the point that they would be willing to pay $6 less for 12 less keys (This based on the theory that the shipping would be $6, the single keys that some are recommending being $6, and the total set being around $12).

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:10:48 »
Well I saw many posts from people that said, In for 1 ESC key.  Some people are just interested in one key than rather the set.  But then again, you have to see it to believe it.  

Put me down for a set with red esc key. Thanks. by dreamingftw

You can put me down for a set/and or just an esc key. by HeavyArms

I guess I we cannot judge by just 2 posts, but then you do not know how many others are just interested in the ESC.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:16:55 »
I think that once the initiative is made for this to be real (as in a product to order on rather than speculate) enough people will be behind it to make whatever is chosen worthwhile.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:29:23 »
Like I said I'm in for at least the F-row if it's like $15-20.

Offline chenga91

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 03:03:15 »
Quote from: sherryton;413191
Well I saw many posts from people that said, In for 1 ESC key.  Some people are just interested in one key than rather the set.

Good point. I'll make sure I go through all the posts later today and jot down who wanted what so that I know who's interested and what it is they want.

Quote from: RColinTaylor;413192
I think that once the initiative is made for this to be real (as in a product to order on rather than speculate) enough people will be behind it to make whatever is chosen worthwhile.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about...LOL. Considering the thread was started three days ago, I think we've made decent progress. There are people who are working to make this happen. There's a guy who's working on designs, another who's communicating with Signature Plastics. Once our SVGs are done and we've gotten some feedback from SP, a new thread regarding orders was going to be started up. If there's something else you think should be done, please do communicate it in this thread.
Currently Using:

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 03:03:31 »
But you know the more difficult it gets, then the better the group buy will get =]

Offline grik

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 06:50:14 »
Im also in for a set, please contact me when its done. I think there is market for a company doing just this printing on keys at low cost and single batches.

Much appreciated. Good work ;)
Home:
Filco Majestouch 2 - 104, MX Brown

Offline tr4656

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 09:05:50 »
I would be interested in getting two sets.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Offline verbel

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 14:55:55 »
I would definetly be down for a set of these keys.

Offline Arkonos

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 15:50:34 »
It really depends on the cost, since I have to keep the shipping in mind.
If we get 50 orders, I'll buy two
If there are less, I'd be in for 1Set (12F+Esc) + one singe Esc (If someone buys a set and doesn't want his Esc, we could arrange something)

I don't care much if the Esc key is coloured or not.

chenga91s ToDo list:
registering at geekhack

starting an awesome group buy

Nice work pal! Do you even own a mechanical yet? xD

Offline Lewserr

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:01:48 »
I'll be interested in anything which comes from this ^_^.
Filco Majestouch2 Tenkeyless Keyboard Pixel Art Things

Offline chenga91

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:12:55 »
Quote from: Arkonos;413478
chenga91s ToDo list:
registering at geekhack

starting an awesome group buy

Nice work pal! Do you even own a mechanical yet? xD

Ahaha wow you're good. Nah, I don't own one yet, but soon! Once I get my paycheck, I'm getting the Leopold TKL with Cherry Browns! :)

Edit: Purchased.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:24:37 by chenga91 »
Currently Using:

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:24:44 »
Quote from: chenga91;413488
Ahaha wow you're good. Nah, I don't own one yet, but soon! Once I get my paycheck, I'm getting the Leopold TKL with Cherry Browns! :)

Man how are you doing all this without even owning a mechanical?!
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:26:40 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;413497

Well considering he will have to wait the 1-2 months for the doubleshots to be made I don't think he will come out too far behind time wise. I would have loved to have keycaps on the way when I bought my Leopold TKL.

Offline chenga91

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:28:10 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;413497

Well, I knew I was going to get one soon, so I figured I might as well start it up so that I would have the keys soon after I got my keyboard. I actually just bought my keyboard a few minutes ago. I'm so excited!! First mechanical keyboard whooo~

Quote from: RColinTaylor;413499
Well considering he will have to wait the 1-2 months for the doubleshots to be made I don't think he will come out too far behind time wise. I would have loved to have keycaps on the way when I bought my Leopold TKL.

Ahaha, you read my mind and posted faster than I did :P
Currently Using:

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:29:16 »
Quote from: chenga91;413501
Well, I knew I was going to get one soon, so I figured I might as well start it up so that I would have the keys soon after I got my keyboard. I actually just bought my keyboard a few minutes ago. I'm so excited!! First mechanical keyboard whooo~

From personal experience I can tell you that getting a Leopold TKL with Browns as a first board was a good idea; I love the hell out of mine.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:52:57 »
Quote from: chenga91;413501

Ahaha, you read my mind and posted faster than I did :P

Can someone fill me in with the double shot situation? Are you getting the entire set of double shot keys? Or just a few special ones like that group buy you're organizing?
Also, I actually received my Leopold today from EK. Here is my view on it.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21587-Leopold-vs-filco&p=413506&viewfull=1#post413506
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline chenga91

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:56:11 »
We're getting an entire set of double shot keys. 13 Keys: Esc + 12 Function keys.

Quote from: watduzhkstand4;413517
Also, I actually received my Leopold today from EK. Here is my view on it.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21587-Leopold-vs-filco&p=413506&viewfull=1#post413506

=( Already people (not just you ahaha) are telling me that I should've gotten a Filco. It's okay though. In my opinion, it's best to start from the lower end of the spectrum (a Geo..ahaha) and eventually move up to bigger and better things so that you can appreciate the progression :happy: Though one of the reasons why I got it is because since this is my first keyboard, I wanted to have some kind of customer support to yell at if I ran into some problems. I wanted a TKL and Amazon isn't carrying any at the moment, so I shopped at EliteKeyboards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:01:35 by chenga91 »
Currently Using:

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:57:41 »
Quote from: chenga91;413520
We're getting an entire set of double shot keys. 13 Keys: Esc + 12 Function keys.

Is there a thread on this? or are you referring to this thread with the portal keys? lol
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline chenga91

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:05:19 »
I'm referring to this thread lol. Once we finish our designs (which should be fairly soon since most of them are done already), we'll start up a new "buying" thread which we'll include test molds and such in.

Edit: Er..did I answer your question correctly the first time? I could be misunderstanding things. Only had 4 hours of sleep last night :(
Currently Using:

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:11:31 »
Quote from: chenga91;413527
I'm referring to this thread lol. Once we finish our designs (which should be fairly soon since most of them are done already), we'll start up a new "buying" thread which we'll include test molds and such in.

Edit: Er..did I answer your question correctly the first time? I could be misunderstanding things. Only had 4 hours of sleep last night :(

Lol got it.
I'm really looking forward to this group buy. I would love to have a set of these portal keys
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline chenga91

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:37:18 »
So...there are 41 people who are interested. Need 9 more :mad2: but as RColinTaylor pointed out, once this gets more finalized, additional people will likely be interested (hopefully).

Quote from: sherryton;413191
Well I saw many posts from people that said, In for 1 ESC key.  Some people are just interested in one key than rather the set.

Hey sherryton, I did a count and there were indeed some people who were interested in 1 ESC, but I think it was because the original thread was about just getting the ESC keycap. After Ragnorock suggested using the icons for the Function Keys, almost everyone (I think there was one exception) was like
Quote from: hashbaz;411788
+1 for this.  A full function set would be sweet.
or something like that.
Currently Using:

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:42:31 »
Quote from: chenga91;413548
So...there are 41 people who are interested. Need 9 more :mad2: but as RColinTaylor pointed out, once this gets more finalized, additional people will likely be interested (hopefully).

Can you please count me in for a full set? Thanks :)
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:56:20 »
Quote from: chenga91;413548

Did you count people who would be wanting to buy ~2-3 sets as well? I know that if its going to be $15 or less per set I will get at least two.

(Edited for numbers)
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 18:51:30 by RColinTaylor »

Offline chenga91

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 01:28:28 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;413570
Did you count people who would be wanting to buy ~2-3 sets as well? I know that if its going to be $15 or less per set I will get at least two.

Thanks for pointing that out. If that's the case, I think we have about 45 sets that people are interested in getting.
Currently Using:

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 01:31:45 »
45 is a pretty good number to start opening up the actual buy with; I think once people see the final SVG's, or at least the demos, more people will get behind it.

Offline eagleeye

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 03:41:57 »
I will be down for 2 sets!  :D

Offline gilgam

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 04:41:11 »
me too a f row set
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline jat4

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 06:11:24 »
I hope you counted me in for one set as well! :-)

Offline ichitz

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 09:47:17 »
wow, this thread has had a lot of activity in a couple of days. Sorry, I was going to get these up sooner but something came up.
I put together a quick mock up of the icons. The line reference is something i just made to see the minimum that SP want, which is 0.010" min line thickness with a min of 0.020" spacing between everything.

The 2nd row shows problematic areas that we have with the keys that we've chosen. I didn't put the potato in there as there is just no way I see that that potato is going to show up nice.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 14:02:09 »
K, yeah that's about what I expected. My thoughts would be to just space everything out more, for example with the cube hitting the guy's head if you spaced it out and perhaps made the cube larger and spaced out between the parts of the cube so it comes out right it might work.

The gel on the ground could simply be made into an oval shape without much of a difference, removing a bit of the detail and trouble spots.

The spinning blades (augers) could just be made solid with one hole in the middle instead of that circle and then the hole, and remove the skull because there's no way this is going to work.

For the guy jumping into the lower portal from the upper one (Just realized it references the F4 key lol) I think if you space it out it would be the same as the referenced Esc key.

Offline DWishR

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 18:31:13 »
Yay, the bridge-between-two-portals one made it! I was silently rooting for that.

I'd also love if we did Penny-Arcade's slide forever. I know it's not canon but it's amazing:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26374[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2011, 18:45:02 by DWishR »

Offline xbb

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 18:56:06 »
interested in 2 or more sets

Offline tradet

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 12:13:05 »
So what about the colors? Will there be black keys available? Maybe white on black or red/blue on black? In which case I'd be interested in those.