Author Topic: [Interest Check] IBM Industrial SSK Cases from Unicomp  (Read 12418 times)

Offline BiNiaRiS

[Interest Check] IBM Industrial SSK Cases from Unicomp
« on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 15:23:32 »
I've been chatting with Jim over at Unicomp lately and we've been discussing the SSK cases they used to have. Apparently the mold for them was broken or lost, and that is why they cannot get any more of them.

They do however have the means to make new molds IF we get enough money. He is going to be getting me some solid numbers soon on how much it costs and where we would be at per case price wise.

We will probably need at least 100 cases ordered to make this worthwhile so I wanna see how much interest there would be. The molds are expensive. I know this is hard now since there is no price, but if you wouldn't be willing to spend over a certain amount, post that info.

When Jim gets back to me on costs, I will update this and hopefully we can drum up enough interest.

Here is a picture of Webwit's real Industrial SSK for comparison:
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 15:25:53 »
Quote from: ripster;415073
Thanks but I have one of those.

reported

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 15:29:01 »
Quote from: ripster;415075
No really.  I do!
(Attachment Link) 26477[/ATTACH]

Damn. That's what I get for wandering out of my subforum ghetto.

Oh, i know...don't worry. I already told Jim that you agreed to send in your Industrial as the base for the mold.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 16:44:37 »
Quote from: ripster;415078
Not to be a pill but why is Geekhack paying the 10K or whatever for Unicomp to get back into the IBM Mini business?

If this goes ahead I'd ask for exclusivity to the design.  Could be the Geekhack Branded Keyboard!

They have no plans to ever make it again so if we don't convince them it's never gonna happen.

And the cost is maybe a few thousand, not $10k. He said it would be $20k+ to make a SSK keyboard.

Sent from my EVO

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 17:05:08 »
I would be in if it was reasonable, but I think you would need A LOT of people to make it, and I doubt there are even 100 ssk owners here at gh...
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 17:11:28 »
Would this include the IBM logo or Unicomp or neither?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:05:07 »
Probably neither.  Unicomp stopped sending out IBM logo labels with blank cases after Chuck left.  The new guys claim they can't sell IBM logo stuff because it would be a copyright violation.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:06:43 »
$20K for them to make SSKs again?

What's the Minimum Order Quantity? Like Ripster said, could be the GH keyboard.

Might be worth it if enough people go in on it!

Offline litster

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:18:49 »
Let's do some math.  If $20K is just the start up cost, and *if* we have 100 people interested, It would be $200 each.  Plus, cost of goods (COGS) of making the keyboards, labor, shipping, and Unicomp profit.  That can get to $400 to $500 easily.  To lower the price and make that work, we would have to include as many people as possible, and maybe the Asian keyboard forums.  This would not be easy but not impossible.

And if Unicomp would go on and continue to make and sell SSK, then Unicomp should be burdened with most of the startup cost.  This is not really specifically for Industrial.  They could make a red one if they want.  Hum, that could be hot!  

Then I have the conundrum of devaluing the genuine beige and industrial SSKs that are out there...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:24:08 »
I would definitely be interested...

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:28:22 »
Quote from: litster;415231
Let's do some math.  If $20K is just the start up cost, and *if* we have 100 people interested, It would be $200 each.  Plus, cost of goods (COGS) of making the keyboards, labor, shipping, and Unicomp profit.  That can get to $400 to $500 easily.  To lower the price and make that work, we would have to include as many people as possible, and maybe the Asian keyboard forums.  This would not be easy but not impossible.

And if Unicomp would go on and continue to make and sell SSK, then Unicomp should be burdened with most of the startup cost.  This is not really specifically for Industrial.  They could make a red one if they want.  Hum, that could be hot!  

Then I have the conundrum of devaluing the genuine beige and industrial SSKs that are out there...

I will pressure him to get some more information. It's not like they have to design these things from scratch. They've got all the info as to how Lexmark made them back in the day.

I'm gonna post this over on deskthority.net as well. If there's enough interest and someone stepped up and was willing to be the rep for OTD and other korean sites, I think we'd really have a chance at doing the full keyboards.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline litster

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 21:58:51 »
Maybe Unicomp can tell us how much they would charge per SSK if there is an order of 100.  That would be a clearer cost determination up front from the group buyers' perspective.  It would be more complicated for all parties if group buyers has to share the cost for tooling, and then pay for each keyboard.

But I am being a backseat driver here :-)  BiNiaRiS, thanks for driving this.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 22:43:56 »
I'd be interested in the case if we get enough people... Would be also curious to hear what the cost would be for a complete SSK.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 22:45:49 »
Quote from: jpm804;415313
I'd be interested in the case if we get enough people... Would be also curious to hear what the cost would be for a complete SSK.

Same here.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Laggy-gaga

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 06:01:20 »
I think another issue we r facing is how to get those classic IBM logo stickers,
as same as SSK shells,
they are not making them any more.
anyway,
I will be in for 5 of them if we can make it happen
Working: Ducky Dragon Blue
Looking for: 356L
For sale:Benchmark DAC1+Stello U3+Amber,RS1i,GS1000i,HE400,HD650,w4r,se535LE
AU only

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 09:55:22 »
I believe the new keyboard should be a Unicomp-labeled keyboard, just like their other currently shipping products.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 09:59:53 »
I contacted him and he said he was out of those logos.

Offline litster

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 10:19:35 »
He sent me a couple of those labels for free.  He's cool!  I guess he ran out.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 11:54:05 »
Quote from: reaper;415314
Same here.

+1

Offline lal

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 16:03:51 »
Depending on color I'd be interested in a couple of shells.  But $100 for a shell only is too much.  I'd probably buy one or two anyway.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 16:11:48 »
The color is in the picture.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lal

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 16:28:33 »
The reason for the high demand for industrial SSKs is their rarity.  It's just something special and different.  That "industrial" color is actually quite boring.  I would much prefer a strong red, yellow or dark gray.  I'm pretty sure Unicomp can mix any color we want.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 17:48:58 »
Quote from: lal;416189
The reason for the high demand for industrial SSKs is their rarity.  It's just something special and different.  That "industrial" color is actually quite boring.  I would much prefer a strong red, yellow or dark gray.  I'm pretty sure Unicomp can mix any color we want.

They will make it in the original industrial because that is a color that was used in the past. If we wanted a different color it would be a custom order for just those that want it. I mainly want the industrail color, but any dark grey, black etc. would be fine by me. I still have yet to hear back from Jim on this though.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline litster

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 17:56:27 »
Industrial color is nice because the real version is rare.  But if they could make red, blue, yellow, black, that would be even better.

Offline akerasi

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 23:04:01 »
Probably interested, depending on cost. Basically, I'd want a fully working keyboard for 175 at most; if that could be done... I'm willing to toss in for the sake of something awesome.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2011, 23:04:46 by akerasi »
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 18:21:58 »
Biniaris, don't get me wrong, you're a cool dude and all, but please don't encourage Unicomp to start making SSKs until I sell off the one I have left. After that, knock your socks off.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline litster

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 18:42:24 »
Quarzac, your auction will close way before we would get any traction here.  Don't worry.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 18:47:05 »
Quote from: Quarzac;419286
Biniaris, don't get me wrong, you're a cool dude and all, but please don't encourage Unicomp to start making SSKs until I sell off the one I have left. After that, knock your socks off.

This is months and months away and that is if it even makes sense. I didn't go into this looking to get full keyboards made...I mainly want that cases. The full keyboards is just an afterthought and we'll see where it goes.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 19:12:31 »
Quote from: litster;419301
Quarzac, your auction will close way before we would get any traction here.  Don't worry.
Someone's gotta bid on it though! What if nobody bids on it for 6 months!
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 22:26:17 »
I'll shoot Jim an email, but I leave for Europe tomorrow and won't be back for a few weeks. I'll pester him a bit harder when I get back.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline Ink`Eyes

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 00:02:02 »
I'd be interested depending on the cost.  I don't like the whole idea of us buying a mold for a company to start their production.  I have never told a customer or customers that they basically needed to font me the money to buy my equipment.  We bought the machine if we thought there was a demand for it.  Luckily most the time there was, but sometimes where wasn't and we take a loss.  I have wanted a space saver for a long time, but I was not willing to put out that much money on a used keyboard.  I'd think the mold would be profitable if they created it and they should have a better entrepreneurial approach. They should make a mold and mainstream the cost.

Offline slueth

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 06:26:07 »
I am interested but iono about 100 for a case lol.