Author Topic: Old Server KBs saved from scrap (Compaq MX 11800)  (Read 4377 times)

Offline mowcius

• http://www.mowcius.co.uk
Old Server KBs saved from scrap (Compaq MX 11800)
« on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 07:20:43 »
After recently buying a Ducky DK9087 Shine 2 and then finding a Cherry G84-ML4100 under a desk (* IMAG0614.jpg), I made a comment at work about once you start looking, you see mechanical keyboards everywhere!

Well today we cleared out some old kit - noticed some KBs in two old server racks.
18945-118947-2

Compaq MX 11800 with Cherry MX Browns (MX Grey for spacebar). Cherry stabilisers across the board, feels super nice.
Running laptops at work with limited dock expansion means no PS/2 ports so might convert them both into USB.

I'm finding that the G84's not really my style after using it for two weeks to give it a good test (maybe I'll grow to like it later) so I'll probably then swap to one of these Compaq ones (despite the num-pad which I'm not keen on).

Offline Null Hypothesis

Re: Old Server KBs saved from scrap (Compaq MX 11800)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 11:50:48 »
It's always nice when you get to "rescue" old equipment. People look at you funny for wanting stuff they only see as ancient, but they just don't know. Wish my office had stuff like that. There's some equipment coming home from a closing office that may include a Dell AT101W but that is probably the first and last item of interest I'll find. Can I come work at your company?

Sounds like you're getting a bit of a collection there. Won't be long before you have boxes of old keyboards to try to justify keeping.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 12:06:10 »
After recently buying a Ducky DK9087 Shine 2 and then finding a Cherry G84-ML4100 under a desk ( (Attachment Link) ), I made a comment at work about once you start looking, you see mechanical keyboards everywhere!

Well today we cleared out some old kit - noticed some KBs in two old server racks.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Compaq MX 11800 with Cherry MX Browns (MX Grey for spacebar). Cherry stabilisers across the board, feels super nice.
Running laptops at work with limited dock expansion means no PS/2 ports so might convert them both into USB.

I'm finding that the G84's not really my style after using it for two weeks to give it a good test (maybe I'll grow to like it later) so I'll probably then swap to one of these Compaq ones (despite the num-pad which I'm not keen on).
G84 is a rubber dome series if I'm not mistaken... are you sure you're reading the model number correctly?
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 12:13:01 »
G84 is a rubber dome series if I'm not mistaken... are you sure you're reading the model number correctly?

You are mistaken. Cherry ML switches.

Offline mowcius

• http://www.mowcius.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 12:33:03 »

You are mistaken. Cherry ML switches.
Quite right - When I turned it over initially and saw 'Cherry' printed on the bottom in large letters I was intrigued but after my trial, I think they take quite a bit of getting used to.

It's always nice when you get to "rescue" old equipment. People look at you funny for wanting stuff they only see as ancient, but they just don't know. Wish my office had stuff like that. There's some equipment coming home from a closing office that may include a Dell AT101W but that is probably the first and last item of interest I'll find. Can I come work at your company?

Sounds like you're getting a bit of a collection there. Won't be long before you have boxes of old keyboards to try to justify keeping.
There's also a branded (ARC Solutions) Cherry keyboard with Blacks which I was trying to relocate to my desk but it's in use with the switchboard system so I can't get away with that.

(Picture not mine, stolen from overclockers - sorry!)

Seriously, in any established company, I think if you hang around the IT scrap pile and express an interest when old kit gets found in a cupboard/replaced then you'll find some mechanical keyboard gems.
I've got a few sites on my list to visit and request to see their old kit/junk cupboards!