Author Topic: Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint  (Read 377974 times)

Offline lal

Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 05:18:40 »
Quote from: lowpoly;140053
http://www.guru-board.com

Would be nice if the configurator provided tooltips for color names.  And make that 360 deg view mouse controllable.  Can't wait for it to start shipping.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 05:32:55 »
Ah, another thing to add to my 'to buy' list.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 08:08:38 »
Hey, Lal, welcome back.  Long time, no see.

Offline jedidove

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 10:22:41 »
Quote from: lowpoly;142164
Whether the production version will have a stepped Ctrl/Capslock key will depend on the keycap manufacturer. Cherry caps have that step.

Ah, got it. Makes sense. I'll put my vote in for no step now ;)

Offline JBert

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 13:48:50 »
Aagh, I want it already. I guess the price would mean a lot to me though...

Also, no preview with a vertical enter? :-/
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline lal

« Reply #455 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 06:36:48 »
Thanks itlnstln.  Being very busy.  Good to see GH still going strong :)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 11:43:04 »
Quote from: ripster;142129
Just to be clear I'm sure the IBM engineers just followed tradition.

I always thought it was a combination of having a common key-size (and streching it out as required) and forcing the user to press dead centre to prevent inconsistencies on older and less precise switches.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #457 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 14:58:27 »
Quote from: jedidove;142591
I'll put my vote in for no step now ;)
My vote would go to stepped... that area makes a nice finger rest. ;)

lowpoly, I'm afraid the website layout still needs some work...
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2009, 15:06:52 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 15:19:33 »
I never even noticed the difference before.  My Cherry is stepped and the Filco not, but I have no problems pressing the Caps Lock key on either.  I didn't even know if any of my 'boards where stepped or not until I went to look at them.  That Alt key would jack me up, though.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 17:13:28 »
For that matter, my ThinkPad has a stepped caps lock, and that's a laptop.

Offline Xuan

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 23:31:15 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;143064
My vote would go to stepped... that area makes a nice finger rest. ;)

Tradition says keyboard manufacturers must have bad websites.

Stop breaking the rule!

Offline msiegel

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 00:41:44 »
Quote from: Xuan;143150

Stop breaking the rule!

their product photos are smaller than our avatars! XD

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 05:07:29 »
Thanks for the comments.

Quote from: PRISONER 24601;142514
I wish that I could do something for the project (other than buying a few of them, obviously) that might actually aid in the development. Well, it looks like you're pretty much done with development and you need to find someone for manufacturing/tooling? Do you need investors? Sales reps? Buzz generators?

Investors is next. There still is a lot of development left, tooling, etc.

If you want to contribute try the Geekey controller. I'd rather use that than develop my own for several reasons.

I think this product needs a big viral-style marketing effort at the least. IIRC  a lot of niche items start like that. Are you planning on showing the item at trade shows? The computer "enthusiast" market has been pretty stale lately, and the small form factor + simple layout might convince some distributers/retailers to help you "launch" the product.

I'm going to send my press release out during the next days. I still wait for Japanese before contacting English language sites.

No matter the price, I think quality matters. I wouldn't rush anything out or skimp on any 'luxury' aspect of this board. The very first run of these babies should be totally bulletproof. I believe that the #1 killer of enthusiast-targeted products is ANY public perception of low-quality. You get a couple people complaining about sticky keys, paint chipping, transpostion errors, compatibility issues, or anything like that... The whole community starts to bandwagon. To reiterate what I just said- I don't care if the product retails at $300, as long as it's a quality product, 100% reliable and solid as a rock, that "enthusiast" market will bite.

While I want the price to be lower than that I agree otherwise.

Quote from: lal;142531
Would be nice if the configurator provided tooltips for color names.  And make that 360 deg view mouse controllable.  Can't wait for it to start shipping.

I put those on my list. The final 360 degree view will probably be in Flash as the current Javascript solution is at its limit. I'll need alpha compositing for frames and I don't think Javascript is ready for that.

And welcome back. :-)

Quote from: JBert;142642
Also, no preview with a vertical enter? :-/

No, it's just a preview. The next keycap variant will require a major rewrite of the 360 degree preview (see above).

Damned. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Quote from: Xuan;143150

Stop breaking the rule!

LOL

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #463 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 06:25:44 »

I installed SeaMonkey (Windows) and everything looks fine, zoomed or not. Do you have "Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts/Allow documents to use other fonts" unchecked?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 06:34:40 by lowpoly »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #464 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 10:47:03 »
Quote from: lowpoly;143196
I installed SeaMonkey (Windows) and everything looks fine, zoomed or not. Do you have "Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts/Allow documents to use other fonts" unchecked?
Try with a standard font size of 18 and a minimum of 16... Probably the latter is what's breaking it. Normally it's even worse on my parents' notebook (1680x1050 17" screen and the eyes aren't what they used to be). BTW, switching to text-only zoom in either FF or SM would also break the design, I think (that was the standard way up to SM 1.1.x and FF 1.5 or 2.0 or thereabouts).

You cannot rely on fonts and font sizes on the web - if in doubt the user always has the last word. That usually bugs the graphical folks who'd like to fix everything in px to match their images. See it as an opportunity to provide human readable text for everyone (by default) instead - scaling is a pretty unique property of the web. It might take a bit more thought (and more individual images) to achieve the necessary flexibility but that will absolutely pay off. I haven't looked into the details, but as a suggestion, I'd stick to widths in em with some min-width in px to avoid trouble with images and max-width in % or thereabouts to avoid issues at smaller resolutions. Heights should only be specified where absolutely necessary.
On a practical note, if a DIV based design gets an awful mess and everything else fails, you can try resorting to a single-level blind table.

If you want to see a "WTF were they thinking?!" kind of example, try this. Seems to have been created with some kind of WYSIWYG editor (I guess it was a "we need a website quick and cheap" type of problem). The absolute positioning in px will ensure that it breaks as soon as your minimum font size is more than their suggested 11px, giving a big unreadable mess at 16px. Maybe we can be glad that they didn't spec 9px instead, after all that's still readable reasonably well. ;-/
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 10:55:52 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #465 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 12:04:52 »
Ah, it's the minimum font size. Basically you're overriding my css design with this (and that of many, many other sites).

That usually bugs the graphical folks who'd like to fix everything in px to match their images.
True. The minimum font size is going to ruin the design one way or the other (think huge empty spaces). And cutting the background graphics into several parts will make the page load (even) slower. Browser zoom doesn't have these problems and is already widely supported.

I probably could fix the 'regular' pages but it would require a complete rewrite of the configurator layout. Not possible at the moment. :-(

Out of curiosity I tried a couple of German car configurators and 4 out of 5 were broken too. Not trying to hide behind that but... Oh wait, I am.

I get your point though and will keep it in mind for the next major update.

my parents' notebook
Why not adjust the operating system's dpi scaling? That would affect all applications.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 12:33:32 by lowpoly »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 12:57:07 »
Quote from: lowpoly;143308
Ah, it's the minimum font size. Basically you're overriding my css design with this (and that of many, many other sites).
Well, what doesn't one do to have a human readable font size without having to adjust zoom all the time. (Not to mention that full page zoom !=100% tends to make things a little laggy with graphics, at least in FF/SM. Minimum font sizes are not recalculated either, so a broken design only becomes an enlarged broken design... smells like a bug. And so I submitted one.)
If specified size were anywhere near 1em to begin with, it wouldn't be a problem. I don't see why I as a used should be expected to adapt to web sites rather than vice versa.
Why not adjust the operating system's dpi scaling? That would affect all applications.
System fonts are already at 144 dpi on that machine. (Guess what - large system fonts are a good way of breaking a few applications.)

BTW: Upon first start of SM2 there, the whole UI was found to be zoomed up to RIDICULOUSLY large, like on a VGA screen. Ugly, too. Turns out SM2 reads the system dpi setting and (unlike 1.1.x) seemingly kicks in some Vista feature that's supposed to enlarge controls and other stuff on hi-res screens. Good idea, but worthless if it's the only app behaving like that. A quick trip to about:config and setting layout.css.dpi to 120 restored the normal look.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 15:22:22 by keyb_gr »

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #467 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 13:43:06 »
Nice controversial discussion on the em vs. px topic:

http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2008/10/07/zoom/

large system fonts are a good way of breaking a few applications

I used dpi scaling for several years and I have seen a few broken applications. A lot less though than the broken sites I have seen during a few minutes of 18/16 browsing. YMMV, of course.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 14:22:42 »
Windows Presentation Framework uses vector UI elements wherever possible, and in Vista/Win7 (especially Win7, I hear, although I haven't tested it yet,) pre-WPF apps are forcibly scaled (in more than just font size) to match.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #469 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 16:35:45 »
Quote from: lowpoly;143339
Nice controversial discussion on the em vs. px topic:

http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2008/10/07/zoom/
Some opinions there reminded me of how fragile progress (real progress) actually is and that it takes continuous work not to be thrown back and cannot be taken for granted at all. (The influence of creationists in the States makes a brilliant example.)
Full page zoom was a crutch conceived in reaction to the number of web pages that continued to use px-fixed layouts. If the same people who created those interpret this as a "go on" sign, well if that isn't perversion I don't know what is. :mad2: In no way should it be taken as an invitation to let standards slip.
(We know where that's gotten us in terms of keyboards.)

I'd think that the topic of fluid layouts was discussed to death in dciwam years ago, back when the group still had an edge.
I used dpi scaling for several years and I have seen a few broken applications. A lot less though than the broken sites I have seen during a few minutes of 18/16 browsing. YMMV, of course.
Now you can probably imagine how it is to be surfing with 18/16 for the last 6 years or so... And yes, fortunately no real important application ever really broke for me at 120 dpi... there was some tax software years ago that did, and it was a bit of a pity about some free oscilloscope software.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 16:38:46 by keyb_gr »

Offline bsvP585hUO2Y6

« Reply #470 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 17:32:45 »
Hmm, if this board will be available for purchase sometime, I should better add my 2¢ now.

I don't like staggered caps lock keys. When mapping them to control - which probably isn't an uncommon thing on a board explicitly sold to be programmable - I find the staggering rather inconvenient. This was one of the reasons I did not hesitate to grab my Marquardt milspec board.

For the second cent, I hate mini-B USB plugs. They are much less reliable than standard sized B plugs. I constantly have to resolder or replace them on my iRiver, cardreader and 2.5" HD enclosures. This is a reason I keep dismissing the HHKB despite its non-staggered caps/control.

Apart from those points, it seems like the perfect keyboard to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2009, 17:55:00 by bsvP585hUO2Y6 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #471 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 10:18:49 »
I'd agree that a big USB connector would not hurt... with things like that, bigger means more solid indeed (headphone jacks are similar). Haven't had any issues with mini-B ones myself though. Can you get cables suited for a keyboard in terms of thickness and stiffness that terminate in a type B at all?

Seemingly IBM did not mind having a staggered Ctrl on the Model F (and really deep on top of that, making the Cherry ones seem harmless)... OKOK, that one's got a wacky layout, but anyway.

I wonder whether Cherry might still have dye sublimation lettering facilities. Their current lasered G80s (speaking for light grey ones) have better readability than some others, but absolutely speaking the contrast stinks - the difference to a vintage dye sublimated or two-shot lettered key set is so large it makes you cry.

Offline bsvP585hUO2Y6

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 10:41:42 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;143690
Can you get cables suited for a keyboard in terms of thickness and stiffness that terminate in a type B at all?

Well, the A <-> B cable that shipped with my "Fujitsu-Siemens KBPC USB D" is nice enough. It is comparable to the thickness/stiffness of the PS/2 cords on my Cherries, while still being thicker/stiffer than most A <-> B cables I have.

Offline JBert

« Reply #473 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 13:00:45 »
It just needs to be thick enough not to break down the inner strands when you happen to twist it. My brother often has to throw away headsets because one of those .3 mm wires in the cable breaks and hence stops it from worken when you twist it just a little.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #474 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 17:03:48 »
Quote from: bsvP585hUO2Y6;143373
Hmm, if this board will be available for purchase sometime, I should better add my 2¢ now.

I don't like staggered caps lock keys. When mapping them to control - which probably isn't an uncommon thing on a board explicitly sold to be programmable - I find the staggering rather inconvenient. This was one of the reasons I did not hesitate to grab my Marquardt milspec board.

For the second cent, I hate mini-B USB plugs. They are much less reliable than standard sized B plugs. I constantly have to resolder or replace them on my iRiver, cardreader and 2.5" HD enclosures. This is a reason I keep dismissing the HHKB despite its non-staggered caps/control.

Apart from those points, it seems like the perfect keyboard to me.

I'd prefer non-staggered too. It will depend on the keycap manufacturer though.

I think the regular USB plug may be too high. But maybe not. Are there any examples where these are used with many connect/disconnects? I have them on a couple of devices but they are all stationary.

Offline bsvP585hUO2Y6

« Reply #475 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 18:10:18 »
Quote from: lowpoly;143778
Are there any examples where these are used with many connect/disconnects?

3.5" harddisk enclosures often have the non-mini connector.

I've just read about a dozen USB socket datasheets in the hope to find some objective numbers for my experience. Interestingly, the mating cycles - if they were specified at all - only varied with the thickness of the gold plating. When comparing B and mini-B with the same plating of the same manufacturer, the values were all identical...

Quote from: ripster;143786
The other way to look at I've never heard anyone complain about the HHKB2 one not working.

That's only because people are too scared to haul their precious cup rubber around :-P.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 19 December 2009, 20:17:32 »
Quote from: bsvP585hUO2Y6;143797
I've just read about a dozen USB socket datasheets in the hope to find some objective numbers for my experience. Interestingly, the mating cycles - if they were specified at all - only varied with the thickness of the gold plating. When comparing B and mini-B with the same plating of the same manufacturer, the values were all identical...

Makes sense then. As you said, it's the solder joints that go bad first, so the actual real-life problems have more to do with strain relief or lack thereof, plus soldering quality (which can be pretty shoddy these days, lead-free solder hasn't made that any better).

Reminds me of the Molex power connector I once resoldered on a 5-1/4" floppy drive (not so very long ago actually). It was held on the PCB by a metal brace with nice big solder joints on both sides. Nonetheless at least one of these plus most of the connector pins' joints were cracked and the connector was quite loose, no wonder the drive was so intermittent. It had had the problem ever since I'd gotten it used many moons ago. Guess they should have used something with screws.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 06:08:09 »
Miniguru on golem.de (German IT news portal):

http://www.golem.de/0912/71999.html (site in German)

On kbdmania:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/1125395 (site in Korean)

Japanese is almost finished, then I'm going to contact the English speaking news sites.

Offline Mnemonix

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 06:29:30 »
Quote from: lowpoly;144129
Miniguru on golem.de (German IT news portal):

Hey, congratulations! :)

But as always: many stupid comments given by stupid people there...

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #479 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 16:42:01 »
I think I'm going to participate in any other discussions should they ever happen. Even if it will end in tears. I don't want to become another Andy.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #480 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 17:19:50 »
No, still talking of the golem.de discussion where some would look at the picture and start posting.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #481 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 19:04:03 »
While I can't read German or Korean ( I don't know if the text is positive or negative ) the one clear win is that a lot more eyeballs got to see what it looks like. I would think that would create a buzz.
Those pictures are gorgeous btw. I think it is a winning design, screw the haters and the clueless.
nice post webwit.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Mnemonix

« Reply #482 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 04:18:58 »
Quote from: bigpook;144606
While I can't read German or Korean ( I don't know if the text is positive or negative )

The German text is neutral and mentions most of the features (fewer keys than on other keyboards, no caps lock, second layer for missing keys, programmable, trackpoint, various colors to choose from, etc.), but it fails to mention that this is a mechanical keyboard. Some of the discussion threads are really just pointless rants by absolutely clueless people and are best ignored. Not uncommon on that site: there are pointless rants on any topic. Could be worse (heise.de... :wink:).
I hope this is only a German phenomenon.

I couldn't read the Korean text either.

Offline Karl

« Reply #483 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 05:54:44 »
Does the Controller GETT TKC-8000-USB-PS/2 really cost € 50 ?

I found another programmable one for less than $ 12 :
SK5101 - Low Cost USB/PS2 Programmable FlexMatrix Industrial Keyboard Encoder
http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK5100.aspx
http://www.sprintek.com/order/OrderICs.aspx

The Software for Programming the Chip is free:
http://www.sprintek.com/support/Downloads.aspx

Could the Chip SK5101 be interesting for this Project?
Cherry G81-3000HAD (MY-Switch) | Cherry G81-3000LANDE (MY-Switch) | Cherry G84-4100LPADE (ML-Switch) | searching an "ergonomic" Keyboard

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #484 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 06:52:36 »
Quote from: Karl;144705

Looks interesting to me. Seems more user-friendly to use than others I've seen. Only thing I couldn't find is how it handles rollover issues.

Offline Karl

« Reply #485 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 07:26:03 »
The SK5102 has AB rotary encoder mapped keys, but not the SK5101. How the SK5101 handles rollover issues, I did not found in the Datasheet:
http://www.sprintek.com/documents/datasheets/DS0002%20SK5100%20Datasheet.pdf
Each key found pressed is debounced for a period of 28 ms. Once the key is verified, the corresponding
key code(s) are loaded into the transmit buffer.

In any scanned contact switch matrix, whenever three keys
defining a rectangle on the switch matrix are pressed at the
same time, a fourth key positioned on the fourth corner of the
rectangle is sensed as being pressed. This is known as the
“ghost” or “phantom” key problem.

Although the problem cannot be totally eliminated without
using external hardware, there are methods to neutralize its
negative effects for most practical applications. Keys that are
intended to be used in combinations should be placed in the
same row or column of the matrix, whenever possible. Shift
keys (Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Window) should not reside in the same
row (or column) as any other keys. The SK5100/SK5101 has
built-in mechanisms to detect and reject “ghost” keys.
Cherry G81-3000HAD (MY-Switch) | Cherry G81-3000LANDE (MY-Switch) | Cherry G84-4100LPADE (ML-Switch) | searching an "ergonomic" Keyboard

Offline meltie

« Reply #486 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 08:17:27 »
I just wanted to say that I think you designed a great keyboard, no matter what those *beep* *beep* *beep* on Golem say. Whenever I read the comments on that site I want to scream, because it seems that only people with horrible behaviour and no clue about the subject seem to comment there.

It is even greater you are going to mass produce that fine board, and with my favorite cherry blues! If I can afford it in any way, I will buy one for sure.

Offline lal

« Reply #487 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 11:57:49 »
Quote from: lowpoly;144558
I think I'm going to participate in any other discussions should they ever happen. Even if it will end in tears. I don't want to become another Andy.

Andy who?  Anyway, just ignore those dumb adolescents.  No point in trying to argue with them.  There are a few comments that showed real interest and there are certainly many more that didn't bother to post.  Be sure to get mentioned on heise.de when it starts shipping.  I think they'd be happy to help another high quality product made in Germany getting started ;)

What about the third mouse button?  A variant without trackpoint?  Bluetooth?!?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #488 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 10:02:09 »
Thanks, for putting things into perspective. I wasn't going to fight the haters, just maybe correct some obvious misunderstandings.

Quote from: webwit;144576
You'll have some interesting marketing issues. I've seen it when I showed quality keyboards to people. I've seen it on market places where users can comment. I've seen it with the μTRON, which main presence on google is links to a swarm of gadgets logs copying each other where it was the topic of the day for ridicule, based on a picture. While it is in reality a really smart design from the ground up. Your keyboard will be a) different, b) relatively expensive, so it will be attacked by the clueless who will not keep silent because of that handicap. It will be considered a snob gadget for stupid people with too much money. "What were they thinking." and "I can buy a Logicrap 15000 with all kinds of extra keys, for less!" etc. etc. If you're going to battle that, it will be tiresome and an energy drain. I'd try to be ahead of it. Doing a HHKB would be difficult, you don't have big funds and you are not in Japan. Still think you should give a prototype to Stallman or someone like that (I picked him because he's a HHKB user), then let him say some nice things about it, then post that to Slashdot, reddit, etc., and any hacker who was previously thinking about a Das Keyboard would suddenly want the keyboard real programmers use. Or forget about the western market and give some prototypes to Asian trendsetters like 박영환 and Sandy. In any case it would be nice to have something smart like that happen to set the mood. Then the other users will do the correcting, like Apple fanboys! Wheeee!
Some very good points, thanks.

Quote from: Mnemonix;144689
..., but it fails to mention that this is a mechanical keyboard.
:embarassed: Thanks for pointing that out because my press release fails to mention that either. The features page on the preview site doesn't list it as well. So, I'm the one to blame here. I'm going to change that ASAP.

Quote from: Karl;144705
Does the Controller GETT TKC-8000-USB-PS/2 really cost € 50 ?

I found another programmable one for less than $ 12 :
SK5101 - Low Cost USB/PS2 Programmable FlexMatrix Industrial Keyboard Encoder
http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK5100.aspx
http://www.sprintek.com/order/OrderICs.aspx

The Software for Programming the Chip is free:
http://www.sprintek.com/support/Downloads.aspx

The Gett controller is > €50 but this is a working controller. Low numbers for industrial use which explains the price. The chip it uses is from Codemercs for about the same price as the SK5101. But I'd rather have something like Geekey.

Quote from: lal;144777
Andy who?
Andy, the former Das community manager who ignored almost every discussion here.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 16:42:32 »
Keyboard megathread on somethingawful.com:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Page 7, but the thread should be interesting anyway.

Offline vils

« Reply #490 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 15:36:45 »
When this comes out, I'll buy two. And I'll rebuild my Facit to house one of them.
Good work, keep it up.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #491 on: Mon, 11 January 2010, 04:40:05 »
Quote from: vils;147348
And I'll rebuild my Facit to house one of them.
I'd like to see that. :-)

Miniguru on Yanko Design:

http://www.yankodesign.com
http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/01/11/looks-like-a-normal-keyboard-doesnt-it/

And mentioned in the keyboard megathread on SomethingAwful. I'm not going to list every single referrer here but this thread may be of general interest:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022&pagenumber=7

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 11 January 2010, 21:30:12 »
Quote from: lowpoly;149974
Miniguru on Yanko Design:

http://www.yankodesign.com
http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/01/11/looks-like-a-normal-keyboard-doesnt-it/

The ignorant comments there made my blood boil. I hope you handle them better than I do lol. :lol:

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #493 on: Mon, 11 January 2010, 21:50:45 »
Quote from: Rajagra;150203
The ignorant comments there made my blood boil. I hope you handle them better than I do lol. :lol:

I had to let it out on somebody there lol
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline msiegel

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 12 January 2010, 00:20:31 »
it's an understated and very functional design, which won't impress one's unsophisticated neighbors.

reminds me of what steve jobs said about the iphone:
"We want to reinvent the phone. What's the killer app? The killer app is making calls!"
XD

cheers lowpoly, you have designed the ariel atom of keyboards :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #495 on: Tue, 12 January 2010, 07:57:38 »
I can't wait for this 'board to come out.  When it does, there will be some Chocolate Creme lovin' on my desktop.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #496 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 01:45:16 »
Will this board be easy to clean, and serivce if necessary? I ask because this product would fare well when combined with a long-term warrantee.

Business professionals in particular would be attracted to a free 'test drive'. There are tons of professionals out there who make 100K+ salaries, but type on a junky keyboard all day. This isn't the best example, but remember the Orek vacuum cleaners? They've always had the reputation of being a very high-priced vaccum, but people tend to keep them after they've experienced the test. Keyboards, like vacuums, are everyday machines that we assume are mostly identical. It's hard to sell a quality vacuum without first demonstrating its value to the consumer.

Webwit posted a very realistic scenario for a product like this, and much of it can't be avoided. Responses to the public reaction should be planned ahead of time, as they often are.

My own view is that their should be a top-of-the-line version targeted to the very wealthy. The top-end model should be made with the absolute best materials available (new, high-tech plastics etc); it should also come with a lifetime warrantee and a bevy of overpriced accessories/options. Fact is, there are a lot of people sitting at $12,000 rosewood desks, in $3000 ergonomic chairs, typing on $20 rubber dome keyboards. Convince them that your product will increase their productivity, send them a free demonstration model with matching wristrest and, i don't know, italian leather spacebar or something- you could sell one to half the business owners in the country.
keyboards!

Offline lowpoly

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2010, 03:06:32 by lowpoly »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #498 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 05:26:01 »
Quote from: lowpoly;150462
Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/12/guruboards-miniguru-keyboard-aims-to-keep-you-on-the-home-row/

:-)

Awesome Lowpoly, look at the comments section, wow. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #499 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 06:07:35 »
Just saw the engadget post (before checking GH for the morning) and my heart skipped. Congratulations Lowpoly, can't wait for these to roll off the line!