Author Topic: Space invader switchs are similar to (Insert switch here)  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Neccros

Space invader switchs are similar to (Insert switch here)
« on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:27:18 »
I've searched and haven't found a clear answer... I love how white Space Invader switches feel, very clean and crisp w/o any mid stroke resistance.

So due to the lack of access to keyboards with the various options for switches, what would you say is close to feel and sound to a white Space Invader switch based NMB keyboard????

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
Re: Space invader switchs are similar to (Insert switch here)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 02:44:52 »
space topres?
topres with alps click (or if you can feel it, like a older ballpoint pen click mechanism?). Seriously I have brown/black/blue/white/clear mx, white/black/blue/pink/salmon alps, & model m keyboard/switches. Invaders feel like none. Check the fujitsu.

My only explanation is since the casing is the slide, it feels much more stable, and there is not much of a hollow resonance effect and may be the materials are softer than cherry/alps, so no prominent click/clacks. Overall feels good.Only bad is the keycap-flying effect :)

I am also waiting to find the answer. I have only the black invaders.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 02:54:36 »
oops! sent before reading. I dont have any white invaders. so context changed.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 21:58:23 »
NBM Space Invaders are a better version of MX Green :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 22:43:20 »
They are ...... wierd.  I really can't compare them to any other switches.  I personaly like them.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 23:06:20 »
I think NMB Space Invaders actually might compare most accurately to low usage SMK's. Been a while since I've typed on NMB Spaceys though.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 23:09:31 »
Also related... how do you pull the caps off of one of these beasts?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 01:01:04 »
ML maybe?  My brief experience was all about the limited throw.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 03:03:45 »
Nothing really. They feel completely unique imo, if only I could find cap replacements without buying an entire new board  :(

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:26:39 »

I use a regular keycap extractor gripping both sides of the keycap. Pull gently and straight up. My two NMB space invaders boards are from the late production and never seen much light. So the plastic is still in good shape. I don't know if the older ones tends to break when you pull them out.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Space invader switchs are similar to (Insert switch here)
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:31:59 »

I use a regular keycap extractor gripping both sides of the keycap. Pull gently and straight up. My two NMB space invaders boards are from the late production and never seen much light. So the plastic is still in good shape. I don't know if the older ones tends to break when you pull them out.
Isn't there a spring that goes flying?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:35:37 »
Hum, not that I recall. I could swear I posted a photo of one recently on this forum. I don't remind an exposed spring.

Maybe if you take the switch apart?

Isn't there a spring that goes flying?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:38:02 »
Dunno, I've got a board that I got at the meet yesterday that needs a bath... perhaps in a hazardous material tank. :P I'll check here in a few if there's a spring. They do feel really nice though.