Author Topic: How do you grip your mice?  (Read 18139 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
How do you grip your mice?
« on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 18:43:44 »
Just wondering on what styles you guys grip your mice. My favorite mouse by far would be the dell wired optical mouse(please don't judge) . Since it becomes really humid in the computer rooms at school, this mouse gets really sweaty.
Here is a picture of the mouse:

I love using it, and use a unique grip that looks like this :

What is your kind of grip? Fingertip ? Claw? Hybrid? Let me know in the comments below.  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Findecanor

Re: How do you grip your mice?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:21:42 »
With the tips of my thumb and first three fingers.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:34:54 »
Depends on the shape and size of the mouse, but most of time I use fingertip grip as I find it the most natural way. My hand size is around 19x9cm, and I often used small-medium sized ambidextrous mice.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 19:01:02 »
Depending on the size of the mouse it's either held between thumb and ring finger or thumb and pinky for larger mice,heel of palm rests on the desk for both grips.

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 09:16:07 »
If I'm using a trackball mouse I generally use palm grip.  If I'm using a standard optical mouse though, I switch between palm and finger tip.  Regarding which fingers I use for buttons/scroll wheel, I use my index for the left click and then I use my middle for both scroll and right click

Offline Gabbzan

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 16:22:45 »
i do finger tip

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 23:04:40 »
"light" claw grip. Or loose rather. I just push it around with my fingers. Not really holding it. I am not gaming though. Just coding and surfing web.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 00:22:35 »
Claw grip. Always done it like that, I THINK. Might've been different when I was a kid.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 00:29:08 »
Man. This thread has so much derailment potential.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 13:31:36 »
Naturally I use fingertip grip, but none of my mice are comfortable enough.
So with the current mouse (Dream Machines DM2) I use palm grip, at least outside of games.

Speaking of ideal mouse.. I saw a Corsair Harpoon and it looks ideal. I have yet to try it though. Might even shell out for the wireless version, but I don't know.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 19:09:06 »
I use the stranger.....

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 20:52:18 »
Whoops missed this one.  Pretty sure I've seen a thread like this some years ago, but whatevs.

My pseudo claw grip gradually slides towards fingertip until I re-adjust :)).  Ring finger for LMB, middle finger for MMB/scrolling, index finger for RMB, left thumb for back/forward.

For accuracy I also use a pseudo claw grip style.  Index for LMB/MMB/scrolling, middle for RMB, ring finger and pinky for grip.  Right thumb for back/forward.  Can't twitch my way out of a wet paper bag.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:03:35 »
Whoops missed this one.  Pretty sure I've seen a thread like this some years ago, but whatevs.

My pseudo claw grip gradually slides towards fingertip until I re-adjust :)).  Ring finger for LMB, middle finger for MMB/scrolling, index finger for RMB, left thumb for back/forward.

For accuracy I also use a pseudo claw grip style.  Index for LMB/MMB/scrolling, middle for RMB, ring finger and pinky for grip.  Right thumb for back/forward.  Can't twitch my way out of a wet paper bag.

.... that is hot

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:09:09 »
I actually use my middle and ring finger because my pointer finger is all jacked up from years of computer use. I'm gonna slowly burn through all my fingers until I can't work anymore.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:53:48 »
I actually use my middle and ring finger because my pointer finger is all jacked up from years of computer use. I'm gonna slowly burn through all my fingers until I can't work anymore.

It's due to an inflammatory diet,  soonish, you may succumb to acute arthritis symptoms.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:07:55 »
I use the stranger.....

Someone elses hand?  :eek:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:14:51 »

.... that is hot

ohmy.gif

I can't help it, I apparently have octopus arms :))

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:26:06 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:29:00 »

.... that is hot

ohmy.gif

I can't help it, I apparently have octopus arms :))

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 17:19:55 »
Thumb on the side, index on LMB, middle finger on RMB, and the rest on the other side of the mouse.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 05:09:03 »
I had a dream that i was using a vertical gaming mouse  and i had hand pain...

Might be a warning to stay away from ergonomic mice

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 19:35:18 »
I use a hybrid Claw Palm grip

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 19:48:53 »
I grip my mice with my hands.

I tried using my feet, but it just doesn't work without thumbs...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 20:34:12 »
I grip my mice with my hands.

I tried using my feet, but it just doesn't work without thumbs...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 22:02:57 »
I have the same mouse as OP, but large hands, so I tend to grip it with my fingertips, and my palm heel resting on the desk for balance and precision mousing.

Also mouse sensitivity it turned way up so I don't have to move my hand much.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 22:03:30 »
I use the stranger.....

That would make typing awkward too.

Except for people well-versed in typing with one hand.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline captainkai

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 00:40:53 »

Offline Venaros

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 15:53:22 »
Relaxed claw or palm/claw hybrid.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 16:02:39 »

Same, but I prefer an ultralight mouse. I've been rocking the Roccat Kova for about 2 1/2 yrs. now & really love that thing to death compared to the Razer & G. Skill mice I had before it. Although that all alum. James Donkey mouse Pete is selling on 1UP right now looks pretty awesome, other than the fact they emblazoned their strange ass name on it's face.... :/ I mean why James Donkey!? Why not just James peripherals?

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 16:05:34 »
I use the stranger.....

I hope your just talking about your mice grip....

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 16:14:07 »
Show Image

Sometimes i use claw if i want to complete more accuracy-related tasks.

Offline Venaros

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:09:23 »

Same, but I prefer an ultralight mouse. I've been rocking the Roccat Kova for about 2 1/2 yrs.

I wouldn't say 99g is ultralight

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:49:50 »

Same, but I prefer an ultralight mouse. I've been rocking the Roccat Kova for about 2 1/2 yrs.

TIL there are mice lighter than 60g (Air58).  But yea, even my Torq X5 meme mouse is only 90g.  99g seems to be a bit above average weight for 'gaming' mice.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 19:22:45 »

TIL there are mice lighter than 60g (Air58).  But yea, even my Torq X5 meme mouse is only 90g.  99g seems to be a bit above average weight for 'gaming' mice.

Yeah I guess I misused "ultralight" there. I forgot about how the mouse market has been trending towards truly ultralight mice, like those ones I see with all the holes cut of the housing to save on weight. What I meant was a decently light mouse, as the Kova is definitely a good bit lighter than the Razer Taipan & G. Skill MX780 I had used before it.

Offline Bawsky

• Give Deathcaps pls
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 23:05:50 »
Use fingertip grip most of the time.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 11:45:38 »
Use fingertip grip most of the time.

Sometimes i use fingertip grip as my primary grip on the mouse.

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:24:12 »
I grab it in a strange electrified spider position because putting my whole hand across the mouse is uncomfortable for me.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:40:18 »
I grab it in a strange electrified spider position because putting my whole hand across the mouse is uncomfortable for me.

same, It's usually called trip grip i think. I hold mouse using only top of fingers. It's not that ergonomicly great since hand starts to hurt pretty quick but it's what i'm used to..

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 10:21:57 »
same, It's usually called trip grip i think. I hold mouse using only top of fingers. It's not that ergonomicly great since hand starts to hurt pretty quick but it's what i'm used to..

I've just gotten used to it at this point, it doesn't hurt anymore as a result.
Usually, my mouse hand only starts to hurt when I'm playing Guitar Hero and I need to put my hand in a weird position so I can put emphasis on the Up Arrow and Left Arrow keys, since I'm only able to play with a keyboard. You will only know true carpal tunnel fuel when you have to curve your hand a bit, spread your other fingers out and batter two keys repeatedly with your index and middle fingers.*

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 17:56:28 »
Thumb resting on the left side of the mouse, Index and middle finger in the middle (of cause), ring above pinky resting on the right side.

I often hold it with a sort-of claw grip, meaning my knuckles are angles upwards and do not rest flushly against the body of the mouse. My whole hand is also usally leaned to the right, so that the right part of my hand lays on the table.

Probably not the healthiest...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:16:26 »

I've just gotten used to it at this point, it doesn't hurt anymore as a result.
Usually, my mouse hand only starts to hurt when I'm playing Guitar Hero and I need to put my hand in a weird position so I can put emphasis on the Up Arrow and Left Arrow keys, since I'm only able to play with a keyboard. You will only know true carpal tunnel fuel when you have to curve your hand a bit, spread your other fingers out and batter two keys repeatedly with your index and middle fingers.*

The guitar is heavy AF. The fact that it's uncomfortable turned me away from playing

Offline Ckeeb

• Meet ZOOM65V3!
    • Wuque Studio
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 17:20:43 »
With the tips of my thumb and first three fingers.

Same

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 14:00:56 »
So-called fingertip grip usually, even if the mouse is a huge palmer. Sometimes claw grip.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 16:13:30 »
Palm Grip on standard mice always, with middle finger on mousewheel, right handed.

Otherwise I use a trackball, I have a kensington Expert trackball, or an old CompUSA led trackball.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 22:18:27 »
Combination of claw and palm for me.

Offline iso

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 08:57:19 »
I dont have to :)

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 09:32:49 »
pointer finger on left click, middle finger on scrollwheel, ring finger on right click, and attempt to lay palm flat on the base of the mouse. only downside is that my fingers hang way off the mouse i use
I dont have to :)
Holy hell, how did you make this? i've been trying to find a way to make a mouse that fits my seemingly weird preferred mouse hold and that looks like it would work
Teaching sand to think was a mistake
Wendel, Level1techs, 2020-02-04

Offline iso

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 09:58:34 »
In Soviet Russia, the mouse grips you. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98360.0 - 3d printed, open source files, make your own.