Author Topic: Just got a new 6Gv2, my first mechanical keyboard  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Finwens

Just got a new 6Gv2, my first mechanical keyboard
« on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 19:28:47 »
Hey guys, first post here. My new toy arrived today. Do you guys have any recomendations for it? Googling about it, I read that this model usually has some problems, like keys that stop working after a while (8 months or so, and I`m expecting it to last some years, because it can handle 50 million keystrokes, lol)  and if this happens to me, it will really suck because it took 24 days to arrive here in Brazil, sent from the USA. So i would have to wait a freaking long time if I had to replace it.

Anyway, I`m loving it, way better than my old membrane keyboard, worth every penny.

(Sorry if there`s any grammar mistakes, still learning English).

Offline Keyboarder

Re: Just got a new 6Gv2, my first mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 19:42:31 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

I've never actually used a 6Gv2, but I have read somewhere that people were complaining that the keycaps would fly off while they were typing. Someone care to confirm that?

Offline Finwens

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:06:22 »
Uh, I really don`t think this is true, at all. They are very solid, and it takes some effort to take them out. My biggest concern is about keys that stop working after a couple months.

Offline Deekin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:10:18 »
I have owned a 6g v2 for 8 months and I have never had any major problem with it.

At some point the spacebar got stuck sometimes in a timeframe of about 1 week when it was 1 month old but it dissapeared by itself and overall the keyboard is super sturdy and is very well built.

Only thing thats kind of annoying is that the keycaps font is fading to grey after just about 1 week of me owning and playing on it. But I can play and type without looking on the keyboard so it didnt matter that much to me, but it looked a little weird I guess.

EDIT: Also I have never ever had any problem with keycaps falling off. As said its very well built and I cant without using quite some strength pull off the caps with my hand.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:12:45 by Deekin »

Offline Finwens

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:16:18 »
I have owned a 6g v2 for 8 months and I have never had any major problem with it.

At some point the spacebar got stuck sometimes in a timeframe of about 1 week when it was 1 month old but it dissapeared by itself and overall the keyboard is super sturdy and is very well built.

Only thing thats kind of annoying is that the keycaps font is fading to grey after just about 1 week of me owning and playing on it. But I can play and type without looking on the keyboard so it didnt matter that much to me, but it looked a little weird I guess.

EDIT: Also I have never ever had any problem with keycaps falling off. As said its very well built and I cant without using quite some strength pull off the caps with my hand.

Keycaps font fading isn't much of a problem, because you can always buy some keycaps sets (or just get use to blank keys lol). I'm happy to read that you have it for 8 months with no problems. Also, maybe it was a problem in the older models and it's gone in the new ones.

kinda off topic: Have you guys seen this? 6Gv2 is now available with red mx switches, it`s not a limited edition anymore.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2-red-switch

Offline Deekin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:25:40 »
Yeah its been available in the Nords for quite some time. Was gonna get that one instead of my current Mx Black 6g v2 (I realized I like Reds better) but am gonna get a CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Red instead since they just got released with the correct layout for us in the Nords. Always wanted to get a TKL and now its with Mx Red and also its got great quality.

Offline Finwens

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:32:01 »
Yeah its been available in the Nords for quite some time. Was gonna get that one instead of my current Mx Black 6g v2 (I realized I like Reds better) but am gonna get a CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Red instead since they just got released with the correct layout for us in the Nords. Always wanted to get a TKL and now its with Mx Red and also its got great quality.

I would like to try the other switches, but here in Brazil, specifically in my city, it`s impossible to find any mechanical keyboards. So I got my 6Gv2 without trying any of the switches, I`m glad I liked it. Want to try brown and blue ones for typing. I pretend to buy a Filco in some years, maybe.

Offline chel-

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 21:05:25 »

Keycaps font fading isn't much of a problem, because you can always buy some keycaps sets (or just get use to blank keys lol). I'm happy to read that you have it for 8 months with no problems. Also, maybe it was a problem in the older models and it's gone in the new ones.

kinda off topic: Have you guys seen this? 6Gv2 is now available with red mx switches, it`s not a limited edition anymore.

Well my issue is that its impossible to find a full set... at least I have yet to find one (the 7g has a full set replacement that looks awesome imo). I've had mine for some time now and the only problem is the keycap printing.

Offline Finwens

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 21:19:43 »

Well my issue is that its impossible to find a full set... at least I have yet to find one (the 7g has a full set replacement that looks awesome imo). I've had mine for some time now and the only problem is the keycap printing.

Yeah, finding a full set for this keyboard is not easy. Why don`t you buy some keycaps and left enter and right shift, for example, as it is?

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 00:44:09 »
Did you get the red switch one?
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 01:54:04 »
They make full sets for 6GV2, out of PBT at least.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Purple-on-Black-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-for-7G-6GV2-107-keys-included-/230815336287?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35bdaa875f (Feng's ebay)

I believe they also have 6GV2 sets in POM.

Offline Finwens

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 09:37:59 »
`

No, black switches. I`m still getting used to it, tough. It requires some force to type, but I think it`ll be fine in some time.

Offline chel-

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 10:56:55 »
They make full sets for 6GV2, out of PBT at least.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Purple-on-Black-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-for-7G-6GV2-107-keys-included-/230815336287?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35bdaa875f (Feng's ebay)

I believe they also have 6GV2 sets in POM.

Hey thanks for linking that. I knew that was available some time ago for the 7g but when I asked about the 6gv2 there weren't any sets made.

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 11:04:31 »
`

No, black switches. I`m still getting used to it, tough. It requires some force to type, but I think it`ll be fine in some time.

It's definitely very tough.  :))
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Finwens

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 11:32:46 »
`

It's definitely very tough.  :))

Yeah, but I`m loving it. For playing Battlefield 3 it`s superb, lol.

Offline Velma

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 21:09:14 »
keycaps can definitly fly off if you are pushing buttons hastly and hit a key from a certain angle (since the keys require a bit of force to push down this can happen quite easily if you miss the key and press hard on a certain spot, cant remember where)

owned it for a month and it happened to me numerous times, but just make sure you hit on top of the keys, use a wrist-rest or something so your fingers get a higher angle and it wont happen.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 18:09:28 »
If you are having problems with keycaps flying off, then the keycaps were manufactured slightly larger than they should have been. I would recommend you put a small piece of plastic (I cut mine from LDPE sandwich baggies) over the stem under the keycap, which should help to keep it on tightly.

This was necessary recently with some aluminium keycaps I got, and it worked well.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 18:10:03 »
You can also use a small 2-3mm square piece of scotch tape on top of the switch for a shim.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Finwens

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 19:49:00 »
keycaps can definitly fly off if you are pushing buttons hastly and hit a key from a certain angle (since the keys require a bit of force to push down this can happen quite easily if you miss the key and press hard on a certain spot, cant remember where)

owned it for a month and it happened to me numerous times, but just make sure you hit on top of the keys, use a wrist-rest or something so your fingers get a higher angle and it wont happen.

Well, it never happened to me, at least.