Author Topic: [IC] BT60 - Bluetooth 60% PCB (In Production!)  (Read 19569 times)

Offline kwlodarczyk

[IC] BT60 - Bluetooth 60% PCB (In Production!)
« on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:53:34 »
UPDATE 16/06/2021:

After lots of testing and iterating, we are happy to announce the BT60 is now in production! There are a total of 480 PCBs in the first batch, half are hotswap and half soldered. They will be heading out to retailers in the next month. Here's the vendor list and prices:

Upgrade Keyboards (USA) - $55-65
https://www.upgradekeyboards.com/product/bt60-60-hotswap-or-soldered-tray-mount-wired-or-wireless-pcb/

Keygem (EU) - €55-60
https://keygem.store/products/bt60-60-bluetooth-pcb?variant=40309989572774

Mechboards (UK) - £60-65 (LIVE)
https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/parts/bt60-pcb/

Hotswap Features:
- Bluetooth connectivity (Works in metal cases!)
- Connect to up to 5 devices
- Weeks of battery life (1200mAh battery included 4x30x80mm)
- Fits into most 60% cases
- Standard ANSI layout
- Solder pads for optional split back space
- USB pins broken out
- ESD Protection

Soldered Extra Features:
- Encoder support
- Lots of layouts (no room for a split space)

We tested the range in a TFV2 with a brass plate and found it to be about 30m in open air.

UPDATE 04/03/2021:

After the initial post, a lot of comments were asking for a soldered version with support for multiple layouts. So we decided to go ahead and design just that, it will be sold alongside the hotswap version of the board and has support for the following layouts:

It also has support for a rotary encoder, either in the top right or to the right of a 1.75u right shift. We also tried to fit on a split spacebar but that wouldn't have left space for the module, which lives under the spacebar area. Currently, we are working on testing the new PCB. We are happy with it so far and we will be sending units to beta testers shortly.
BT60 - Wireless 60% PCB with standard footprint

The Polarity Works BT60, a simple, functional, hotswap wireless 60% that drops into most cases. The BT60 focuses on a polished experience rather than every bell and whistle. The Nordic Semiconductor BLE module delivers high performance and excellent range even in metal cases, and in conjunction with ZMK, it delivers the functionality to match. Zephyr's energy optimisation delivers fantastic battery life and with an easy-to-use UF2 bootloader making changes is as simple as drag and drop, no DFU drivers, no programming software, just double-tap reset or use the bootloader keycode and it pops up as a thumb drive. If you wish to make customisations ZMK's module-centric design lets you make changes without installing build environments or screwing around with path variables, just set up a ZMK-config GitHub repository, then build it in the cloud with GitHub actions and download the UF2 directly to your keyboard!
As a drop-in replacement for any DZ60 footprint PCB, it's an easy and inexpensive upgrade to free yourself from wires for weeks at a time.

Quick Demo - https://youtu.be/OJloE9lCjD8

Features:

- Bluetooth connectivity
- Weeks of battery life (battery included)
- Hotswap sockets
- Standard ANSI layout

Price:

£50-60

We are still gauging interest and confirming with manufacturers so this is just an estimate. We don't expect this to be higher, though it could drop if there is enough interest.

Let us know what you think of the BT60 here:
https://forms.gle/bT5okqymYH3DGySY9

If you'd like to receive regular updates on the project, head over to our Discord here:
https://discord.gg/X7snWCTAvz
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 July 2021, 14:04:14 by kwlodarczyk »

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
Re: [IC] BT60 - Bluetooth 60% PCB with standard footprint
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:58:20 »
Would be a great fit in my Polycarb Klippe!

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:03:04 »
Great job using zmk! Any chance you could offer a solder version too? I prefer the stronger mechanical connection and greater layout options. (split bs and rs pls)

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:05:38 »
Great job using zmk! Any chance you could offer a solder version too? I prefer the stronger mechanical connection and greater layout options. (split bs and rs pls)

We definitely want to offer a soldered version in the future with lots of options for layouts. For the initial batch the plan is to go with just hotswap

Offline Olyz

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:16:51 »
really interested. need more custom pcb with bluetooth.

Offline DotMatrix

• Charue Design
    • Charue Design
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:16:59 »
Looks cool! Any chance that you'd add cut-outs on the edge to fit a board like the Singa Unikorn? Here's a repo with the models for exact dimensions if you're into it: https://github.com/evyd13/plain60-flex-edition

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:19:54 »
Looks cool! Any chance that you'd add cut-outs on the edge to fit a board like the Singa Unikorn? Here's a repo with the models for exact dimensions if you're into it: https://github.com/evyd13/plain60-flex-edition

That looks like it might interfere with the Bluetooth module we are using but we'll give it our best shot!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 15:10:31 »
Chicken very like bluetooth, chicken might buy, chicken say GLWIC

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:01:32 »
Where does the battery live? Will you need to fully disassemble the board to replace it?

Offline dezli

• dezli
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:16:03 »
What module are you using? Holyiot, E73?

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:20:34 »
Any chance this can be modified to be compatible with the unikorn?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:22:37 by Slayer77 »

Offline clonetropboi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 19:52:00 »
Very cool!

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 01:10:36 »
Awesome!
Look forward to a soldered version with split Spacebars 225+275, Split BackSpace, Stepped CapsLock,
split RShift (1-1.75-1, 1.75-1-1, and 1-1-1.75), 5x1u bottom row right mods.
Add under glow and you'd have the perfect 60 pcb!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 05:25:57 »
Where does the battery live? Will you need to fully disassemble the board to replace it?

We are using a rechargeable battery so you shouldn't need to replace it for years. You'll need to make sure the case you are using has the space for a battery underneath the PCB, we are asking vendors to test the PCB with cases they have. This should give us a list of cases that work

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 05:26:26 »
What module are you using? Holyiot, E73?

Holyiot 18010

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:39:59 »
sounds like an interesting alternative to the keychron. So from my understanding, you just flash the chip on the keyboard with the github files and that's it? Will it work with any OS? (windows, iOs, macOs, android)
If yes then I will probably get that! I just want a good BT board that is not too expensive and has no software tail behind it.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 12:25:37 »
sounds like an interesting alternative to the keychron. So from my understanding, you just flash the chip on the keyboard with the github files and that's it? Will it work with any OS? (windows, iOs, macOs, android)
If yes then I will probably get that! I just want a good BT board that is not too expensive and has no software tail behind it.

It will come pre-flashed with a standard keymap, if you'd like to change that you can use an online tool on the zmk GitHub. It will compile the keymap for you and give you a uf2 file you can drop onto the board (double-tapping reset makes it show up as a memory stick).

So far we tested it with windows, android and ipadOS. We found absolutely no issues with pairing or using it on those devices

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 14:13:35 »
Love how far wireless PCBs have come thanks to ZMK, really excited for this one!

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 08:09:12 »

It will come pre-flashed with a standard keymap, if you'd like to change that you can use an online tool on the zmk GitHub. It will compile the keymap for you and give you a uf2 file you can drop onto the board (double-tapping reset makes it show up as a memory stick).

So far we tested it with windows, android and ipadOS. We found absolutely no issues with pairing or using it on those devices

nice! I'm wondering, will there be a turn on/off button somewhere or will it turn on/off with a special key combo (eg strg+alt+1) or will it use the reset button (simple click, no hold)? Something that come into my mind after watching a keychron review.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 08:46:43 »

nice! I'm wondering, will there be a turn on/off button somewhere or will it turn on/off with a special key combo (eg strg+alt+1) or will it use the reset button (simple click, no hold)? Something that come into my mind after watching a keychron review.

The battery optimisation in ZMK is very good, after a period of inactivity it will go into a sleep state without the need to turn it off. It wakes up when you start using it again

Offline CPU_Cartel

Re: [IC] BT60 - Bluetooth 60% PCB (More Layouts Added)
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 17:11:03 »
YES PLEASE I NEED IT

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 00:36:48 »
Very nice to see the multiple layouts.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 16:24:48 »
Just a small update:
We tested the PCB in an ALU tofu case with an ALU plate and found no decrease in the range or signal strength!

More testing is still needed but it's looking very promising

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 12:10:55 »
Does the BT module support multiple devices?

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 12:15:12 »

Yes, you can connect the PCB to up to 5 devices and there is a hotkey to switch between them

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 12:28:05 »

Yes, you can connect the PCB to up to 5 devices and there is a hotkey to switch between them
That's awesome! I'm definitely in for at least 1, maybe more. I may rebuild all my 60s with this board.
Will it support wired mode also? This isn't a deal breaker for me but would be nice to have.

My end goal would be to have a lightweight MX version of a HHKB Pro Hybrid.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 12:30:52 »

That's awesome! I'm definitely in for at least 1, maybe more. I may rebuild all my 60s with this board.
Will it support wired mode also? This isn't a deal breaker for me but would be nice to have.

My end goal would be to have a lightweight MX version of a HHKB Pro Hybrid.

Yes it does! Check out this quick demo on switching between wired and Bluetooth.

Offline Eddie_Caps

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 22:58:29 »
Super excited about this! Count me in for one for my klippe

Offline meawto

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 09:36:47 »
Can you add alps socket with non hot-swapped version

Offline JCO

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 00:59:00 »
Pretty interesting concept! I'd love to try this on a TFV2, which uses a daughterboard in the middle for USB C connection, would it work?

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 06:23:00 »
Pretty interesting concept! I'd love to try this on a TFV2, which uses a daughterboard in the middle for USB C connection, would it work?

I have a TFV2 too, unfortunately it doesn't have enough space for a battery without modification. I ended up 3D printing a 2mm spacer that fits between the two parts of the case to make room for a 2.6mm thick tablet battery.

The PCB has the USB lines broken out so it's not a problem to solder them to the daughterboard.

Offline jackcalico

Re: [IC] BT60 - Bluetooth 60% PCB (In Production!)
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 07:47:33 »
Do you know if this DZ60 CNC 60% brass plate (Plate-A: left shift is 2U) from KBDFans will work with the BT60?
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 July 2021, 07:49:09 by jackcalico »

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 08:15:34 »
Do you know if this DZ60 CNC 60% brass plate (Plate-A: left shift is 2U) from KBDFans will work with the BT60?

Yep, the BT60 is completely interchangeable with the DZ60 for plates.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 08:49:15 »
Will there be another run?

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 14:00:54 »
Will there be another run?

Yes! We plan to keep these in stock as long as people want them

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 14:02:28 »
UPDATE 16/06/2021:

After lots of testing and iterating, we are happy to announce the BT60 is now in production! There are a total of 480 PCBs in the first batch, half are hotswap and half soldered. They will be heading out to retailers in the next month. Here's the vendor list and prices:

Upgrade Keyboards (USA) - $55-65
https://www.upgradekeyboards.com/product/bt60-60-hotswap-or-soldered-tray-mount-wired-or-wireless-pcb/

Keygem (EU) - €55-60
https://keygem.store/products/bt60-60-bluetooth-pcb?variant=40309989572774

Mechboards (UK) - £60-65 (LIVE)
https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/parts/bt60-pcb/

Hotswap Features:
- Bluetooth connectivity (Works in metal cases!)
- Connect to up to 5 devices
- Weeks of battery life (1200mAh battery included 4x30x80mm)
- Standard ANSI layout
- Solder pads for optional split back space
- USB pins broken out
- ESD Protection

Soldered Extra Features:
- Encoder support
- Lots of layouts (no room for a split space)

We tested the range in a TFV2 with a brass plate and found it to be about 30m in open air.

UPDATE 04/03/2021:

After the initial post, a lot of comments were asking for a soldered version with support for multiple layouts. So we decided to go ahead and design just that, it will be sold alongside the hotswap version of the board and has support for the following layouts:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It also has support for a rotary encoder, either in the top right or to the right of a 1.75u right shift. We also tried to fit on a split spacebar but that wouldn't have left space for the module, which lives under the spacebar area. Currently, we are working on testing the new PCB. We are happy with it so far and we will be sending units to beta testers shortly.
BT60 - Wireless 60% PCB with standard footprint

Show Image

Show Image

The Polarity Works BT60, a simple, functional, hotswap wireless 60% that drops into most cases. The BT60 focuses on a polished experience rather than every bell and whistle. The Nordic Semiconductor BLE module delivers high performance and excellent range even in metal cases, and in conjunction with ZMK, it delivers the functionality to match. Zephyr's energy optimisation delivers fantastic battery life and with an easy-to-use UF2 bootloader making changes is as simple as drag and drop, no DFU drivers, no programming software, just double-tap reset or use the bootloader keycode and it pops up as a thumb drive. If you wish to make customisations ZMK's module-centric design lets you make changes without installing build environments or screwing around with path variables, just set up a ZMK-config GitHub repository, then build it in the cloud with GitHub actions and download the UF2 directly to your keyboard!
As a drop-in replacement for any DZ60 footprint PCB, it's an easy and inexpensive upgrade to free yourself from wires for weeks at a time.

Quick Demo - https://youtu.be/OJloE9lCjD8

Features:

- Bluetooth connectivity
- Weeks of battery life (battery included)
- Hotswap sockets
- Standard ANSI layout

Price:

£50-60

We are still gauging interest and confirming with manufacturers so this is just an estimate. We don't expect this to be higher, though it could drop if there is enough interest.

Let us know what you think of the BT60 here:
https://forms.gle/bT5okqymYH3DGySY9

If you'd like to receive regular updates on the project, head over to our Discord here:
https://discord.gg/X7snWCTAvz

Offline Paragon

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 09:40:18 »
Edit. I see the US vendor is saying July 26th, is solderable also available through US vendors?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 July 2021, 09:44:14 by Paragon »

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 09:47:52 »
Edit. I see the US vendor is saying July 26th, is solderable also available through US vendors?

Yep, Upgrade Keyboards has both soldered and hotswap and they will be going live on Monday.

The boards going to Keygem are still in transit but should get to them very soon.

Offline Arthua

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 14:46:58 »
Is it possible to use builded usb-c port to type or should I solder usb from pcb? If I can use usb-c does bt auto turning off when usbc is used?