Author Topic: Silent plate  (Read 3334 times)

Offline unni

Silent plate
« on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 13:28:46 »
I am looking into mode-65 (https://shop.modedesigns.com/products/sixtyfive)  to build a silent keyboard. It offers 7 different types of plates.

• FR4
  • POM
  • Carbon Fiber
  • Aluminium
  • Brass
  • Copper
  • Silver Mirror (not sure what this is)

I will be either using "Gazzew boba u4" or "Silent Alpaca" switches. which plate will be the most quiet ?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2021, 14:59:37 by unni »

Offline Faceman76

Re: Silent plate
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 13:39:55 »
No plate will be quieter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 15:16:33 »
foam plate

Offline Volny

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 20:12:42 »
Surely any metal plate will be more reverberant and so will amplify noise more. I guess POM might be the quietest. Though I think the biggest factor may be simply how much of the sound you let into the desk. With the keyboard on a towel (or my preference: adhesive neoprene stuck to the case bottom), probably any plate will sound quieter than the quietest plate while the keyboard directly on the desk.

Silent alpacas are quieter than U4, but choose based on whether you prefer linear or tactile.

You may want to look into getting switch pads too, for some extra dampening. They go between the switch and the pcb and help reduce vibration. And filling the hollows of the case with rubber or shelf liner will help too.

Offline Topweasel

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 07:56:24 »
Surely any metal plate will be more reverberant and so will amplify noise more. I guess POM might be the quietest. Though I think the biggest factor may be simply how much of the sound you let into the desk. With the keyboard on a towel (or my preference: adhesive neoprene stuck to the case bottom), probably any plate will sound quieter than the quietest plate while the keyboard directly on the desk.

Silent alpacas are quieter than U4, but choose based on whether you prefer linear or tactile.

You may want to look into getting switch pads too, for some extra dampening. They go between the switch and the pcb and help reduce vibration. And filling the hollows of the case with rubber or shelf liner will help too.

Basically this. The trick is choose Thoccy solutions and then dampen them as much as possible. So FR4, a silent switch, and as much foam as you can do. If there is a plate foam or dampener, use something like the KBD plate foam squares to fill out the plate, and then as dense a foam under the PCB as possible. Probably would recommend A.) using permatex and holee mod for the stabilizers and B.) being generous with the permatex even at the cost of feel on the stabalized keys, specially the space bar.

Extra steps I would recommend lubing and filming the Switches (just not the legs if you are doing tactiles). To top it off I would use the KBD foam films.

You do all this and you end up with probably the most silent keyboard ever.

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 12:06:45 »
To my experience, FR4 plates, O-Ring's on standoffs and tons of dampening material all mute your board very well. I have a NK65 Alum that I bring to work. I did the Keybored top mount mod and added o rings to all the existing screws. It has a FR4 plate, lavender linears in them, silicone case dampener and plate foam. It's a pretty quite setup, that still allows for you to hear the characteristics of the switch. But if you want a dead silent keyboard, then just opt-in to buying a silent switch. You may want to ISO mount your Mode board which I believe is the equivalent to the O-Ring mod (not gummy o-ring), go with a FR4 plate, allllll the dampening material and silent linears.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 21:48:03 »
This is good advice. I think I'll order a FR4 plate for my Aurora, to make it quieter. Currently, it will have the stock alum plate, with silent tactiles, but FR4 could be an improvement. Or POM if not available.

Offline Qeeke Studio™

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 04:06:26 »
The feel of FR4 and PC locator will be more dull.,But I think the price of $300 is too high.