Author Topic: Noob keycap question  (Read 4190 times)

Offline bkrownd

Noob keycap question
« on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 00:22:50 »
  I'm new to custom keycap sets, and I guess I just had my first lesson in why some quality custom sets are so expensive.   ;)  I purchased some not so expensive decorative keycaps a while back, which look pretty, and tried to put them on a keyboard for the first time today.  I found that the spacebar is very slightly warped so that once installed it moves a bit more stiffly than the original spacebar and even binds occasionally.  (other keys are fine since they're smaller)  It looks pretty good by eye, but the ruler shows a slight difference.  When I align a ruler with the outer post holes the center post hole is maybe a half millimeter out of the line.  The spacing between the three post holes is also about 0.3-0.5mm less over 50mm compared to the original.  It's also possible the holes are not aligned in the sense of the posts being parallel, which would make one or both of the stabs slide at an angle.  I adjusted it a few times and typed with it for a bit and unsurprisingly the resistance/binding did not improve.  The original spacebar is back on and working just fine, of course.

So it seems that I can either try to trim/modify the spacebar's stabilizer post holes a bit so they're a little looser, or try to adjust the spacebar with heating.  The first option seems maybe a bit easier.  Heating might actually make it worse, since the adjustment it needs is so small.  I wondered if anyone had wisdom to offer?   :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:47:53 by bkrownd »

Offline Newsbusel

Re: Noob keycap question
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 12:53:02 »
I havent encountered a problem like the one you have been experiencing, but do not heat up your spacebar. Once a space bar is warped, there is usually no going back. But if the spacebar is still an issue, you might just have better luck with another set, or you could by a new spacebar separate.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 19:22:13 »

Either I need to try to heat bend it, or modify the stab posts somehow.  I need to find some posts to stick into the wholes which will allow me to measure not only distance, but also the alignment angle of the posts.   Otherwise the spacebar seems useless as it is.  But you're right that it's possible I could purchase the small subset of artwork keycaps that includes the spacebar, and return the new subset if it I don't get a straight spacebar. 

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:54:56 »
  I'm new to custom keycap sets, and I guess I just had my first lesson in why some quality custom sets are so expensive.   ;)  I purchased some not so expensive decorative keycaps a while back, which look pretty, and tried to put them on a keyboard for the first time today.  I found that the spacebar is very slightly warped so that once installed it moves a bit more stiffly than the original spacebar and even binds occasionally.  (other keys are fine since they're smaller)

Eureka!  I found a short-term solution to this spacebar warping issue, which may result in a permanent fix!  After thinking about it for a while I decided I might be able to deflect just one of the mounting posts enough that it will get all three sufficiently in alignment, without needing to cut or remove any material.  On the inside of the spacebar I jammed an M2.5 size nut between one of the outer (stabilizer) mounting posts and the vertical wall of the spacebar.  This did indeed deflect the one mounting post just enough so that the mounting posts are sufficiently in alignment and the spacebar no longer binds.  I've been typing with it for about 15 minutes without any problem.

There is a very slight compromise - due to the way the stabilizers have 4 guide posts surrounding the mounting post this does cause the spacebar to sit slightly higher than it should, but I really don't notice that when typing, and it is not impeding the actuation of the spacebar switch. 

If I'm satisfied with this as a permanent fix I'll epoxy the nut in place.  Can anyone recommend a good safe epoxy to use with PBT dyesub caps? I need to use an epoxy that won't soften the PBT material, or it would just flex back to where it was before.  I just don't want the nut to shift and drop out.