Author Topic: ErgoDox 80-key diode placement?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline plainbriny

ErgoDox 80-key diode placement?
« on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 20:26:34 »
Currently most ErgoDox constructions use 76 key setup. However, it is possible to use 80 keys. My question is, where should I put the diodes for the extra keys?

In the 76-key setup, the diodes are placed like this:
46164-0

So if I add additional key switches, should I place the diodes like this?
46166-1
Just noticed that I might put the top two diodes in the opposite direction...

Also, I need to modify the firmware to added functions for these extra keys.
I have to modify ergodox-firmware / src / keyboard / ergodox / layout / qwerty-kinesis-mod.c
But are there any other files that I should modify as well?

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 20:30:50 by plainbriny »

Offline Findecanor

Re: ErgoDox 80-key diode placement?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 01:35:25 »
It is my understanding that that is how you should do it... Almost. The black line on the diode should go near the hole with the square.

If you are using Litster's case (such as the one from Massdrop), I don't think that you can use through-hole diodes on the top side because of the plate being too thick.

Offline plainbriny

Re: ErgoDox 80-key diode placement?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 02:09:58 »
It is my understanding that that is how you should do it... Almost. The black line on the diode should go near the hole with the square.

If you are using Litster's case (such as the one from Massdrop), I don't think that you can use through-hole diodes on the top side because of the plate being too thick.

Thanks, these diodes are just for illustration. I will put the diodes in the key switches, which makes the soldering work much easier.

As for the case, lister's design doesn't seem to work for 80 keys. Therefore if I made my mind to build a 80 key ergodox, a different case is required.