Author Topic: Model M SSKs are popping out of the woodwork!  (Read 16596 times)

Offline HaveANiceDay

Model M SSKs are popping out of the woodwork!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 00:26:09 »
It's the apocalypse, I tell ya.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 01:34:07 »
It seems there are only 3 SSKs up for auction after looking at the ID number
The seller made it sounded like there are 5

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 03:13:07 »
Let's hope the supply and demand theory works in our favor now :)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 03:19:01 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;363212
It seems there are only 3 SSKs up for auction after looking at the ID number
The seller made it sounded like there are 5

It looks to me like there are a pair in 2 auctions and a single one. So yeah, 5 total.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 04:07:27 »
(DELETED)
EDIT: Screw this, it's not that I'm going to bid for it anyway
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2011, 04:11:18 by kaiserreich »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 07:06:41 »
I have some friends that have a couple that they haven't sold...

Offline javifast

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 08:24:38 »
5 spacesavers.....  :O
Too many keyboards....

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 18:56:55 »
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Sam

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:57:46 »
A seller with only 11 feedback responses, and none in the past year.  While there may be nothing wrong with him, there certainly is no degree of confidence.  Especially in trying to sell two together in one lot, while splitting up the other.  Just seems a bit strange.  More importantly, as kaiserreich mentions, he's pictured the very same keyboard (same serial number) in two different auctions.  Maybe he just screwed up with posting the wrong picture, but he may also be trying to scam people, and might never send the keyboards.  Whenever there's something fishy like this with the listing, I'm super cautious.  When the seller doesn't have any significant feedback, I will generally not bid at all.  I'm not saying this seller is necessarily being purposely dishonest, but I'd be very surprised if these sell for anywhere near what the other SSKs have been selling for.

Offline Sam

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:13:58 »
Quote from: ripster;363671
What's sad about Ebay is you can never tell if the seller is scamming (a hijacked account for example) or just stupid.

No so sure I'd necessarily use the word 'stupid' to describe all of them.  In this case it might be his first time listing items on eBay and he might have just screwed up due to lack of experience.  Well, at least I'd like to think that's what's the case.  For someone who's sold a lot and makes these kinds of mistakes, then I'd say either stupid or lazy.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:45:16 »
kaiserreich pointed out earlier that the auctions with two SSKs show the exact same keyboards in the pictures. Again, buyer beware. I've encountered legit sellers who list different items using one listing as the template without bothering to change pictures, but this guy does seem a little suspicious.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Sam

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 19:22:56 »
He just added yet another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250842943479
I think that makes 7 total SSKs from the one seller, assuming that the two listings with double SSKs was a photo error, and there are four different SSKs in those two listings.

Plus a different seller has one, making 8 total SSKs up on eBay at one time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150622204603

With so many to choose from, my guess is that not all of these will go for even close to the going rate.  Sounds like a good opportunity to perhaps pick up a SSK cheap, if you feel comfortable bidding on this guy's listings.

Edit:  Just looked at his listings of double SSKs and someone asked him about the duplicate serial numbers, and he replied:
Q: Hello. You show the same rear-label phograph for both of your auctions for two keyboards. Are there four keyboards with the same manufacture date?
A: Yes there are four of these keyboards with the same manufacture date. I apologize for the confusion.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 19:28:06 by Sam »

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:12:42 »
...from the newest listing

Just to let you know....I'm not a scammer. I'm not trying to cheat anyone. You can bid with confidence.
I always ship the items once they are paid for. I was stuck in Ohio the past year, unable to get to my computer and my lockup in GA.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:16:44 »
What does the last part even mean

Offline Sam

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:17:19 »
An interesting comment.  I wonder if someone sent him some messages questioning his integrity, or perhaps he's a member here and reading this thread.  If the seller is reading this, I certainly hope there's no bad feelings between him and other GH members.  It's only natural I think for people to be suspicious when seeing situations like this.

Wonder how many more SSKs he's got.

Offline Sam

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:19:01 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;364984
What does the last part even mean

Evidently he lives in Georgia (GA), and he had to go away to Ohio for a year, and couldn't get back home to his things.  Now that he's back home, he wants to sell some of his SSKs for whatever reason.

Offline Sam

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:29:20 »
One more SSK just listed, from a third seller, making 9 now up for sale on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180685635187

Offline snerual

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:31:10 »
[edit] I just posted a link to the same one Sam just mentioned, so in order reduce the confusion I have edited my post.

Wow, 9 SSK's at one time. Quite amazing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:33:54 by snerual »
:canada:

Offline snerual

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 20:43:30 »
Interesting. One of bryan_twizzle's SSKs was actually manufactured on my birthday (just the day and month, not the year - I'm too old).
Hmmmm. Very tempting. I haven't quite made up my mind to have a go at it or not.
:canada:

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 15:37:55 »
Quote from: snerual;364994
Interesting. One of bryan_twizzle's SSKs was actually manufactured on my birthday (just the day and month, not the year - I'm too old).
Hmmmm. Very tempting. I haven't quite made up my mind to have a go at it or not.
Now would be the time, if ever.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 16:53:12 »
Dont you guys just hate ebay and the pictures they show? I just skipped on a new looking black M13 that was BIN for $119 because the picture quality was bad..

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 18:01:00 »
The guy with the seven space saving keyboards indicated in a private message that he has some bills to pay, this is why the keyboards are all going at once.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Bryan_twizzle

Seller of the keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 20:16:55 »
Hello and welcome. I have some pictures here showing proof that I have 7 keyboards in total. I'm fair and honest. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me through Ebay or here. Thanks again, Bryan.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19465[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19466[/ATTACH]

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 20:30:27 »
Hey! Welcome.
May I ask how you got to own 7 of them?

Good luck with the sale.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 20:33:04 »
I'd like to buy one but tired of having to keep bidding or checking on bids and stuff. lol  Anyone wants to sell me one just let me know via PM.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Mikelittoris

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 20:34:40 »
"Ships to:   United States ", Never bought anything from ebay but im guessing that it means it sucks to live in Sweden right now, doesn't it?
IBM Model M SSK -91 (Bolt moded), Geekhack ESC, RGB modifiers and lt blue WASD cluster.
IBM Model M -95
IBM Model N2 -94
IBM Model F -85 (122-key Terminal) Using a Teensy with Soarer\'s adapter code.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 21:57:18 »
Nice score Bryan!  Someone must have updated a data center that had them in the racks.  My DC at work has Compaq MX-11800's which are better than rubber domes but not as rare as IBM Mini's.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 23:59:11 »
Bryan if it's possible can you take some more pictures up close or tell us about any damage. It would probably help you get higher bids that way too

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 00:59:56 »
Bryan,

Any reason why you're selling some individually and some in pairs?
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 02:28:51 »
BTW, I have a SSK for sale in the classifieds and I'm from Europe ;)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 03:39:42 »
I wonder if Bryan keeps a least one for himself.

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 16:55:24 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;365711
Hey! Welcome.
May I ask how you got to own 7 of them?

Good luck with the sale.

Hey! Thank you so much! Sorry for the delayed reply. I was unable to get to the computer until now. My grandpa got into computers back in 1991 and used to go to auctions and get computers from schools and these had just been sitting on the shelf in a climate controlled storage unit for over ten years and right now he is bed ridden and can't really do anything and my grandma told me to clean it out and I'm using the money to pay on my car payments because I just recently lost my job and had been in Ohio for a year and moved back down here. the economy is really bad.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 16:58:05 »
Bryan, sorry to heard that.  You should be able to get pretty good return on the SSKs.  Good luck with your sales.

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 16:58:56 »
Quote from: didjamatic;365751
Nice score Bryan!  Someone must have updated a data center that had them in the racks.  My DC at work has Compaq MX-11800's which are better than rubber domes but not as rare as IBM Mini's.

Thank you. Yeah I didn't know about these until I saw one on Ebay. I've seen people throw these away before. Makes you sick to your stomach you know?

Offline litster

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 16:59:46 »
Does your grandpa have keyboards other than SSKs?

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:01:02 »
I sure can. Give me just a few minutes. Again, sorry for the wait. I'm using a Nikon S550 camera. Not the best but at least you will be able to see the pictures better..

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:02:16 »
Quote from: litster;366492
Does your grandpa have keyboards other than SSKs?

He sure does. He has several kinds. I'm new in the keyboard world but it's very intriguing. What kind do you look for?

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:04:12 »
Quote from: BaconKnight;365870
Bryan,

Any reason why you're selling some individually and some in pairs?

After listing the first keyboard I had 4 others that had the same date and I figured that someone would like to have 2 together that had the same date. I'm not sure how rare it is or how common that date is. I may be stupid for doing so but I'm learning. I stepped into this kinda blind folded, Lol.

Offline litster

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:04:47 »
Sounds like your grandpa has been collecting very old school keyboards.  I think a lot of people on here would be interested in any vintage keboards.  It would be great if you could take a few pictures of other keyboards and post them here.

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:06:10 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;365931
I wonder if Bryan keeps a least one for himself.

Sure does make me want to keep one for myself. I'm just unsure what date of keyboard I would like to keep. I still haven't gone all the way through my grandpas lockup so I will definitely check to see if I have anymore in the coming weeks.

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:24:13 »
Quote from: litster;366499
Sounds like your grandpa has been collecting very old school keyboards.  I think a lot of people on here would be interested in any vintage keboards.  It would be great if you could take a few pictures of other keyboards and post them here. I'm just showing one of them here and they are not the clicky type sadly.

I certainly could do that. I have 2 identical keyboards in front of me that look very old and are in excellent shape other than slight damage to the beginning of the cord that is closest to the keyboard itself. They are Telex Computer Products Inc. Looks like they are made in 1987.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19541[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19542[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19543[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19544[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19545[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19546[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19547[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:28:52 by Bryan_twizzle »

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 17:39:43 »
Quote from: Tennobanzai;365821
Bryan if it's possible can you take some more pictures up close or tell us about any damage. It would probably help you get higher bids that way too

I sure can. Here is a few pictures of the first keyboard that I put up for bid on Ebay. It has some etched writing on the back by the label and in another picture you can see some of the residue left from a piece of masking tape that must of been on the keyboard at one time. I'm going to clean that up before I ship it. It's very easy to take off.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19548[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19549[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19550[/ATTACH]

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 20:11:04 »
Thanks for the pictures. If u have time for the rest that would be great. Or at least a little more description on the condition.

First one went for decent price. At least these boards are much more reasonable then the brand new ones. I don't even think I would have the courage to type on those comptek ones...

Btw does anyone know if the 10% eBay coupons work on normal bid items? Got one not too long ago.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 20:18:19 »
Thanks for the keyboards, Bryan. Payment sent.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 20:19:02 »
I hope you'll be less bored when you get them!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 20:33:03 »
Me too.

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 20:47:22 »
Same here. Can't wait to get my 2 boards

Offline litster

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 23:21:47 »
Looking at the listing that closed at $333.33 (nice number!), there seems to be a buying agent bidding (with 4249 feedbacks).  This person bidded at $250 and then $300.  His 30-day bid history is all over the place in many different categories.  I saw another bidder like this with 30K+ feedbacks) bidded for the dye sub Cherry keyboard, and lost.  May be our Korean keyboard comrades?

ricercar and Tennobanzai, I would be interested in knowing the condition of the twin-pack keyboards.  At around $170, that is pretty good deal if the condition is great.

Congrats!

Offline Bryan_twizzle

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 16:17:50 »
Quote from: ricercar;368154
Thanks for the keyboards, Bryan. Payment sent.

You're very welcome. I'm sending them first thing Monday morning from here in Warner Robins, GA. How would you like them shipped? I always put insurance on them. My wife and I did our best to clean them and they turned out great. They're really nice to type on and work excellent! Let me know how they work for you. I appreciate the bidding.